Forums

Topic: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise from your grave, Wii U

Posts 101 to 120 of 188

Howard24U

Where does everyone get sales figures from? I know vgchartz reports out weekly (although fairly inconsistently), but I would imagine there's a more scientific source out there... Maybe?

Howard24U

skywake

AlexSays wrote:

Ok, no reputable poll only surveys [insert any city name here]. As for your first number, you have no idea whether or not people here live in the Melbourne of Wii U sales or the Texas of Wii U sales.

And your second and third numbers aren't really relevant to what I said. Nowhere did I say console preferences are habitual, but there are trends which is why testing such small non-randomly distributed sample is insignificant.

Console sales and political elections aren't uniform so anecdotal evidence in isolated areas is not a good estimation for either. If you'd like to make your own analogy that you think works better as to why the people on this site are wrong, be my guest. lol

I was saying that there isn't much of a class/religion/race skew towards one console or another like there is with voting intent. That's what I meant by habitual. If you went into a affluent, well educated population with large minority populations you'd get a very strong bias towards progressive voters. You won't see a very strong bias towards Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony I wouldn't think. There isn't that much international variation in console preferences let alone city-to-city variations.

As for the variability point, I was just saying that it's not as drastic as you seem to want to think it is even with something as divisive as politics. I'm sure its even less so with something as trivial as console preferences. As I was trying to say with politics about 60-70% of the divisions, which in Australia aren't gerrymandered, sit within 10% of the national vote. About half are within 5%. So if you dropped yourself in a random street in Australia and surveyed 30-40 people chances are you'd be close to the national opinion more broadly. Do it twice and both random polls agree and you can be pretty sure of it. You wouldn't put a number on it and you could still be wrong but you'd probably be close and you would get an idea of the broader mood.

Do it with console preferences or the availability of a particular brand of vacuum cleaner in ten random stores and you'll get even closer. Because outside of our bubble people don't really identify themselves as belonging to particular brands. There's certainly not pressure amongst demographics to conform to particular brands. There is with politics.

That's what I was saying, sorry if you fail to understand that point. I thought it was pretty damn clear. I did list the reasons why such anecdotal evidence on a forum shouldn't be trusted and you seem to have ignored those points entirely. For a start the fact that forums are by definition voluntary. I do agree with your conclusion, I just don't agree with your reasons for coming to them.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

AlexSays

I didn't fail to understand anything. lol

I understand you took a simple concept and made it much more complex than originally intended for the sake of argument. The analogy wasn't originally intended to be taken on the most literal level - to the extent you're discussing race/class/religious differences between voting and console purchases.

I was targeting a fairly simple-minded audience with that post, therefore I went with a quick easy-to-understand analogy. Rather than spending a lengthy period of time making sure the analogy worked on the most literal and complex of levels.

Like I said, you are free to come up with other ways of saying I am right and others are wrong, I don't mind. Your analogies are welcome here too. : )

AlexSays

skywake

I agree that someone saying it was sold out everywhere doesn't mean its selling well everywhere. It just means its sold out in the stores that person happened to look at. However if you could actually find out how many units were being sold in a city and did find out it was doing well you could fairly safely say it was selling well nationally. The things that make a console sell or not sell are pretty uniform across whole countries. There's not much that would influence it outside of games and price other than stock.

Stock is the variable, not location or demographic. I could come up with an analogy but it wouldn't be any easier to understand than saying it literally. If there wasn't a lot of Wii U stocked in a particular area then it'll probably be sold out. We have no idea how much is in stock so we can't make a judgement on how well it's selling based on the word of a person on the interblags.

Edited on by skywake

SCRAPPER392

Klimbatize wrote:

mr_shanetastic wrote:

I think some people are just saying they don't care all that much about the sales numbers. If no one purchased a Wii U ever again after tomorrow it would have zero impact on my enjoyment.

But...if no more Wii U's were purchased, then nobody, not even Nintendo, would make any games for it. That would impact your enjoyment. Poor sales mean people will be less likely to invest money into bringing games to the system. Poor sales absolutely can impact your future enjoyment of the system.

The point is that we have no control over how Nintendo markets the system. All we can do is enjoy it. Nintendo doesn't sell you their console thinking that you're going to be paranoid of sales. Behind the scenes advertising, right there

As far as anecdotal evidence goes, the Wii U is selling well in my area. PS4s are sold out, I saw 12 Wii U systems, and 5 Xbox One systems. Wii U has been selling fairly well through out the year, considering te circumstances, but that's just around where I live.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

scrubbyscum999

SCAR392 wrote:

The point is that we have no control over how Nintendo markets the system. All we can do is enjoy it. Nintendo doesn't sell you their console thinking that you're going to be paranoid of sales. Behind the scenes advertising, right there

^sig worthy, sums up months of debate.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter:

JetForceSetGrind

skywake wrote:

#3 Console preferences aren't anywhere near as habitual as voting preferences

Maybe for most people, but chances are if you still buy Nintendo consoles like us you're a loyalist.

JetForceSetGrind

JetForceSetGrind

Kodeen wrote:

Howard24U wrote:

What market is this for? I like the setup of the chart. but why is Wii U only showing ~1.6M sales LTD? That aside, based on the trends here, the outlook for Wii U is dismal. It's under-performing the DC that sold around 10.5M units total, and is far behind the GCN.

North America.

Actually the NPD numbers are only for the US. The figures Nintendo eventually releases include Canada, so generally a healthy 10 percent boost.

I assume old NPD is used for the Gamecube/DC numbers? If not, perhaps a healthy 10 percent should be subtracted.

JetForceSetGrind

skywake

WhereEaglesDare wrote:

skywake wrote:

#3 Console preferences aren't anywhere near as habitual as voting preferences

Maybe for most people, but chances are if you still buy Nintendo consoles like us you're a loyalist.

When the 60mill NES units dropped to 21mill by the time the Gamecube hit while Sony went from zero to 157mill. Or when the PS2 was 157mill and the very next gen Sony dropped to 80mill as the Nintendo went from 20mill to 100mill. If that was politics we would have been talking about 20-40% swings between the PS2/GC gen and the PS3/Wii gen. Most elections call a 10% swing a landslide, often it's closer to 5% when the party who got it is popping the champagne. 40% is crazy, there is no loyalty when you can get 40% swings.

Plus if there was the Wii U would be winning this current generation given that they won the last. Also when I said "habitual" I was trying to say that it was part of someone's actual identity rather than just a thing they do. I don't think there's such a thing as an Evangelical Christian's favourite console brand like there is a favourite political party.

Edited on by skywake

shingi_70

@SCAR392

I agree that we have no control in how Nintendo advertises but I think we should still criticize or analyze where they went wrong no matter our attachment to the company. I think good marketing and keeping the product competitive will help Nintendo alot.

Take Google and Android. For the longest while Google's own hardware failed or was considered niche at best, causing for a time and still a bit now of Google losing control of Android and still being an inferior product to ios despite bith OSes being out for the longest time. But little by little since Froyo they focused on improving the functionality and desgin of their apps and OS, plus integrating their services and pretty much biting off other dead OSs. It took four years but I'd say Android is the best OS on the market.

But also marketing or how you market helped. This year google threw its weight being advertising crazy on advertising on web, print, and TV.

Take an add for the Galaxy Nexus in 2010

vs the Nexus 5 from this year

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

kkslider5552000

3D World failing to get major success for Wii U in its second holiday season despite being an apparently awesome game validates everything I've said for the better part of 2 years.

And the latest direct was the best showing Nintendo has had in quite a while because it didn't focus on another Mario platformer trying to be like the old Mario games (though I'm not even gonna pretend that if you ignore still being on average more interesting/better that DKC:TF and the new Kirby can be considered kinda a similar situation I guess). You don't even know how happy I am for all of this, it is perfect. And this is all I need to know and all I need to say about Nintendo right now. Now Nintendo's back to how they make sequels best and Mario Kart and Smash Bros are still super relevant so EVERYONE wins anyway. Fun.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MAB

It's kind of strange hearing people whine about wanting more advertisements on TV... Do you walk away and do something else when a TV show comes on then run back when the ads start rolling

(Air punch) YES! the ads are back on... Woo hoo!
Untitled

MAB

skywake

Unless you're really into the thing being advertised ads are just a thing that's there to give you time to make a coffee.

MAB

skywake wrote:

Unless you're really into the thing being advertised ads are just a thing that's there to give you time to make a coffee.

Beer... Or whatever else you can fit into a small ad bracket

MAB

skywake

MAB wrote:

skywake wrote:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fills his ad breaks with crack, lots of crack. No time for paying attention to Nintendo ads in Canada when there's all that crack to smoke.

SCRAPPER392

@shingi_70
I'm not basing my opinion on Nintendo's advertising on my liking of the company.

It's pretty much a given that they haven't had anything to advertise, so why would they? Most of us here on the site know what the Wii U is(at least I would hope so), so why should we be caring about what or why Nintendo advertises? The answer is: We shouldn't care.

Sony and Microsoft can advertise all they want. Nintendo's been selling a product that's not even really finished, OS wise. Just look at how much they plan to with Miiverse and other things that need improvement. There's not really a reason to advertise things that aren't finished.

Imagine if they tried to advertise in the U.K. iBBC player, TVii, DVR, etc. isn't even live, so advertising would be somewhat of a waste if they don't have some features implemented that could make the difference in a console purchase. Xbox One is advertising all their media stuff, so it wouldn't make sense to advertise something that needs to meet or beat other companies in certain areas when it isn't there. They can't say "coming soon!" on a large scale like TV, so they advertise a game here or there, every once in a while.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

MAB

skywake wrote:

MAB wrote:

skywake wrote:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fills his ad breaks with crack, lots of crack. No time for paying attention to Nintendo ads in Canada when there's all that crack to smoke.

ha ha! I don't even watch the crap box anyway... I'm too busy working my way through a backlog of awesome games instead

MAB

NightmareXIV

Honestly while people say release a Majora's Mask remake for 3DS, but I disagree while that would be cool I think Wii U needs it more than 3DS, and even though they never announced anything if they do they should make the right choice, and go for Wii U Zelda games instantly make it at least a little better even my friends who own a PS3, and Xbox know who Link is.

Earlier release petiton

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-release-popular-games-in-america-sooner#share

3DS Friend Code: 1134-7192-3429 | Nintendo Network ID: NightmareXIV

SCRAPPER392

@NightmareXIV
It doesn't matter where it "needs" it most. It's about where it makes sense. OoT 3D is already on 3DS, so it makes sense to use the same engine for the direct sequel on the same platform. Wii U already has Wind Waker HD, too.

If Majora's Mask "bombed" on Wii U, Nintendo would be worse off than if it "bombed" on 3DS. It would probably also require more work than a game dev team besides EAD would be able to handle. So now you're factoring in a ton of other things on top of what a simple remake on the 3DS would require where it makes more sense and where there's less risk.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

kkslider5552000

Unless the other new Zelda isn't coming until 2016 or something crazy, we don't need another Wii U Zelda.

In terms of sales, they just need to focus on every important game they have next year. I really want most of these games to succeed and just sell a lot of copies and Wii U's success to be because of such a consistent lineup of games I think will be amazing (like, I'm expecting several of these games to be on the same level as my GOTY this year, almost all of which are exclusives).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.