Forums

Topic: PS4 vs Xbox One vs Wii U Global Lifetime Sales August 2015 Update

Posts 1 to 20 of 55

julianedelman

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/261034/ps4-vs-xbox-one-vs-wii...

Looking at the total sales of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Wii U in August 2015 we can see that PlayStation 4 has continued to grow its lead over both the Xbox One and Wii U, and has now comfortably outsold both of them combined. The Xbox One is also slowly increasing its lead over the Wii U.

The PlayStation 4 has now passed the 25 million mark, selling 25.45 million units lifetime. The Xbox One has sold 13.88 million units and the Wii U 10.28 million units.

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 25,446,528

Xbox One Total Sales: 13,882,024

Wii U Total Sales: 10,281,251

The PlayStation 4 has outsold both the Xbox One and Wii U every month since it launched in November 2013. The Xbox One outsold the Wii U in August for the 14th straight month. The PS4 outsold the Xbox One by 352,584 units for the month and the Wii U by 519,294 units. The Xbox One outsold the Wii U by 166,710 units.

When you compare monthly sales to a year ago the PS4 and Xbox One are both up, while the Wii U is down. The PlayStation 4 is up 82,718 units, the Xbox One is up 75,890 units, and the Wii U is down 43,184 units.

PlayStation 4 Monthly Sales: 669,219

Xbox One Monthly Sales: 316,635

Wii U Monthly Sales: 149,925

The Wii U beat the PS4 and Xbox One to the market by a year. The Wii U launched in November 2012, while the PS4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013.

Nice seeing these approximate sales to see how this gen is playing out. I wonder if the Wii U will be able to surpass the Gamecube in sales. Even though that is a low bar to set, I don't think Nintendo will achieve that.

Mario
Space Channel 5
Sou Calibur
Tom Brady

Bolt_Strike

At this point even 15 million seems to be unattainable, let alone GC's 21 million. It seems more like it'll end around 12, maybe 13 million tops.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Xilef

Lol VGC. They are never accurate.

Xilef

Sean_Aaron

I have to say the PS4 just doesn't sell me as a value proposition. Most of the games I'd want to play in PlayStation-land are Koei Tecmo with the odd arcade revamp like Pac Man Museum or Galaga DX, but these games are all on PS3 as well and the lack of backwards-compatibility on the PS4 without paying extra for a subscription or a per-game rental is a massive turn-off. And why the heck is the PS3 Super Slim so expensive? GAME is selling it new with 12GB of storage (is that correct - less than a Wii U?) for £170 and selling a used PS4 with 500GB storage for around the same price. To get one with an internal hard drive is only ten bucks less than a new PS4! It seems even Sony recognises that the PS4 isn't actually a replacement for the PS3; ditto 3rd party publishers who continue to make titles for both platforms.

It's rather annoying because if not for the BS backwards-compatibility "solution" on the PS4, a second-hand model would be quite appealing. Instead it looks like I'm better off waiting to see whether the NX attracts more support from Koei Tecmo or the PS3 Super Slim drops in price (or I decide to buy the still massive PS3 Slim) or Sony decides to stop trying to gouge people who want to buy a few PS3 games.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Grumblevolcano

@Sean_Aaron: It's simply Sony taking advantage of their audience, they could delay all their games to 2017 and the PS4 fanbase would still be extremely happy with the situation. It's the problem with being so far in the lead, Nintendo did the same thing with Wii and they're suffering hugely with Wii U. I expect Sony will flop the next gen due to being too cocky.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jariw

julianedelman wrote:

So the Wii U has now sold 300,000 unit less compared with the offical figures in May?

Xilef wrote:

jariw

Sean_Aaron

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I know. If I had more interest in the bulk of the catalogue I'm sure I'd have nothing to complain about, but there's so much overlap between what I'm interested in on PS3/4 that PS4 doesn't make much sense to me. I'm trading in my late 2009 Mac Mini to CEX so I should have enough credit to get a used 500GB PS3 Slim and have money left over (unboxed 500gb super slim is only £100) - if I can justify it to myself for the sake of the Warriors games I've never played and some arcade revamps from Namco!

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

Sisilly_G

Sean_Aaron wrote:

I have to say the PS4 just doesn't sell me as a value proposition. Most of the games I'd want to play in PlayStation-land are Koei Tecmo with the odd arcade revamp like Pac Man Museum or Galaga DX, but these games are all on PS3 as well and the lack of backwards-compatibility on the PS4 without paying extra for a subscription or a per-game rental is a massive turn-off. And why the heck is the PS3 Super Slim so expensive? GAME is selling it new with 12GB of storage (is that correct - less than a Wii U?) for £170 and selling a used PS4 with 500GB storage for around the same price. To get one with an internal hard drive is only ten bucks less than a new PS4! It seems even Sony recognises that the PS4 isn't actually a replacement for the PS3; ditto 3rd party publishers who continue to make titles for both platforms.

It's rather annoying because if not for the BS backwards-compatibility "solution" on the PS4, a second-hand model would be quite appealing. Instead it looks like I'm better off waiting to see whether the NX attracts more support from Koei Tecmo or the PS3 Super Slim drops in price (or I decide to buy the still massive PS3 Slim) or Sony decides to stop trying to gouge people who want to buy a few PS3 games.

No backwards compatibility was a deal-breaker for me as there are so many more exclusives on PS3, but the downside is that I wouldn't be able to enjoy any superior ports on PS4. I was close to buying a PS3 mainly for Dead or Alive 5 and Digimon, but I held myself back. The next day, Last Round was announced, making me glad that I resisted. Now i won't be buying either Sony console since they're screwing around their customer base like this by trying to make customers buy two consoles to enjoy their back catalogue.

I have little to no interest in the rival systems and I would only have bought one to play a few exclusives, but I think I made the right decision overall. There's still plenty to enjoy on Wii U in the coming months and the forseeable future, even if the library is not as diverse as that of the Wii's offerings.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

kyuubikid213

I finally bit the bullet and bought a PS4 last month...and personally, I think I should have waited until next year.

It's just sitting there because the games I got with it (the guy I bought it from gave them to me for free) are only just 'okay' compared to the Wii U library (and hell, even my 360 and PS1 backlog).

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213

@Octane: Horizon Zero Dawn, Kingdom Hearts III, and The Last Guardian. No Man's Sky is a maybe.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

SuperWiiU

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I finally bit the bullet and bought a PS4 last month...and personally, I think I should have waited until next year.

Thankfully I did decide to wait until next year and I think it's been a good decision too. But unless there's a price drop there's no problem with it mostly just collecting dust until next year, at least you won't have to go through the hassle of buying and setting it up then.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Octane

@kyuubikid213: Ah, same over here, although I'm still waiting for a good holiday deal. Bloodborne has my interest, and I want to play Tearaway Unfolded as well, so I have at least something to play (Journey is also getting a collector's edition release in a month or two iirc).

Octane

Peach64

jariw wrote:

julianedelman wrote:

So the Wii U has now sold 300,000 unit less compared with the offical figures in May?

Xilef wrote:

Not sure where you got your info in May from but Nintendo announced they'd shipped 10.1 Wii U consoles at the very end of July.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/wii_u_squeezes_past_...

Since then we know they sold 42,000 in North America in in August and 52,000 in Japan in August. We don't know European figures, but it's pretty safe to assume they're less than the North American figure.

Edited on by Peach64

Peach64

Not_Soos

Wow, none of this generation's consoles seem to be selling that well. If I'm not mistaken, the best-selling video game system was the PS2 at around 150 million units. The PS4 isn't but a sixth of the way there, if this thing is accurate, yet it's the top contender this generation. Could this be a bad sign for the console market, given the rise of mobile gaming?

Not_Soos

Switch Friend Code: SW-0365-3043-2731 | 3DS Friend Code: 2836-0531-4472 | My Nintendo: Aaron | Nintendo Network ID: 3DGamr | Twitter:

ocelot20

@Not_Soos: Seriously?

Here is a graph from March 2015. http://imageslgmr.lazygamer.netdna-cdn.com//2015/03/ps4-vs-ps... the PS4 at that point was selling faster than the PS2 was at that the point in the PS2's life. PS4 is actually on track to matching/beating the PS2 total number of sales. But of course that can always change.

I don't think it will to be fair but I think it will come close. Then again PS2 was on sale for 11 years (possibly more). They stopped production on them in 2012.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/rip-playstation-2-sony-ha...

I personally think Sony has done really well this generation. A lot of people say they don't have that many exclusives ect. Then imagine the amount of sales they get when they do start bringing exclusive after exclusive after exclusive out.

As for Nintendo. I really wanted them to be successful with the Wii U. I think with the NX or what ever it is called. They need to focus at getting 3rd party on board. Plus bring us some exclusives that is not family friendly. Am thinking more along the lines of Bayonetta and Fatal Frame. But also produce games like The last Of Us, Infamous, Forza, Gears Of War.

ocelot20

martinskrtel37

so how far away are the rest from catching Nintendo on the all time scale?

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Haru17

Playstation has sold great since PS1, so I don't imagine they're that far behind Nintendo in consoles. Nintendo, however, has an extra decade of consoles and loads more successful handhelds, so that'll keep them ahead at least until next-next gen.

I thought MS hadn't released hard XB1 sales data yet?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

kyuubikid213 wrote:

It's just sitting there because the games I got with it (the guy I bought it from gave them to me for free) are only just 'okay' compared to the Wii U library (and hell, even my 360 and PS1 backlog).

Dude, you need to play Metal Gear. It's a Zelda-caliber game, you know, with lame open world stuff.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Sean_Aaron

@sillygostly: absolutely. There's like six titles catching my eye in the PS3 catalogue and one of them is actually a bundle of two PS2 games: Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. It's really a shame there aren't more PSOne and PS2 games getting the download treatment in the PlayStation store as well. They really do have a messed-up approach to their back catalogue - especially on PS4, where they almost shouldn't bother. Like you're supposed to pay two subscriptions: one for PSNetwork and and one for PSNow?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.