Forums

Topic: PS4 vs Xbox One vs Wii U Global Lifetime Sales August 2015 Update

Posts 21 to 40 of 55

VanillaLake

It's funny when people say there are not interesting games coming to PS4: Uncharted HD trilogy, Uncharted 4, Street Fighter V, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil Remake2... Already available games include The Last of Us Remastered, Metal Gear Solid V, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, GTA V... Some of those are or will be available on Xbox One, and some of them are remasters, but they are extremely interesting nevertheless as the only one available on Wii U is -The Wind Waker HD-. Xbox One is getting better (Elite version) and cheaper (any Kinect-less configuration) and has arguable this generation best exclusive this far -specially for a Nintendo fan-, which is Rare Replay.

Xbox One is working hard on backwards compatibility and they say Sony is working on that too, because that's PS4 biggest letdown, its lack of backwards compatibility. On the other hand, Wii U's Virtual Console is a great concept but it's almost empty.

As much as I love my -scarce- Wii U exclusive games, for any gamer both PS4 and Xbox One are great options at the moment. I already have a PS4 and I want an Xbox One for Rare Replay alone.

Edited on by VanillaLake

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

Sean_Aaron

I guess it all depends on how much you like first- and third-person action games which are the bulk of what you see on those platforms. I like some and in fact the reason I'm thinking of getting a PS3 is because of the Warriors franchise that's there. But the fact is that none of the rest of those games are terribly appealing to me for various reasons. "Any gamer" is not "every gamer."

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Kaze_Memaryu

VGchartz, huh? Yeah, I'll wait for official numbers. That said, I'm not really all that interested in sales figures for consoles. As long as the games keep coming, all is good.

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD |

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6640-0089 | Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

gcunit

Part of me can't help but wonder whether the Wii U lifespan will be longer than many of us are expecting, and whether the NX will complement or at least interact with the Wii U in a manner that means the Wii U doesn't get flat dropped when NX releases.

Wii U to sell 50 million units confirmed!

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Sean_Aaron

Well whether they use emulation or a daughter board, as long as the NX has Bluetooth, the possibility of backwards-compatibility in some form is there. I'm sure people will point to past consoles lacking it, but it cannot be denied that Nintendo has used it to ensure that new system owners aren't simply dependent upon new content to use on their systems. I would be very surprised if the NX was unable to play Wii U games and the current content on the eShop - you don't build a library like that to simply abandon it and it's quite a bit better than the old Wii shop was.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

Octane

Never thought that backwards compatibility would be of such importance. However, now I see why it is. If the PS4 was backwards compatible, I probably would've got myself one already.

Octane

VanillaLake

Sean_Aaron wrote:

I guess it all depends on how much you like first- and third-person action games which are the bulk of what you see on those platforms. I like some and in fact the reason I'm thinking of getting a PS3 is because of the Warriors franchise that's there. But the fact is that none of the rest of those games are terribly appealing to me for various reasons. "Any gamer" is not "every gamer."

First and third-person games? There are also racing games, fighting games, indie downloadable games... And the quantity and variety are just growing. It's impossible to overlook that, specially compared to the Wii U library. There are Wii U games that I totally love, like Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and Yoshi's Woolly World, but the reality is that the Wii U is struggling and there are reasons for that, players are not to blame but Nintendo.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

MrGawain

I didn't buy a PS4 because it's the market leader and has sold a zillion units, I bought a PS4 to bolster the upcoming thin line up of the Wii U (which is now worse without Starfox), but the truth is beyond Arkham Knight and a few indie ports I've yet to find something to convince me it's the console for me. I didn't like the Witcher 3, and so far Tearaway (it looked more 'Nintendo-ey') feels like an over priced indie game with off controls, hideous V/O work, zero difficulty and an incessant need to try to get me to download the Playstation app and share things through PSN. The PS4's OS is a nightmare and feels more like a filing cabinet than a games system, the controller feels odd, and the download speeds for the PS Store are criminal. Hoping Transformers Devastation, Disgaea 5, and Broken Sword 5 make me feel better for my purchase this year- But having way more fun with Mario Maker, Yoshi, Splatoon, and STILL Bayonetta 2 and MK8.

Yet still the statistics show that Sony sold a console to me and 6 games, which doesn't show if I'm happy or will be in the next 3-36 months with my purchase. I bought the PS4 because I felt it was starting to look towards catering to people like me- but it's just peddling it's similar US friendly online sandbox/shooter/sports wares that supposedly appeals to the masses. The truth is what I want from the PS4 is it to be more like the Wii U, with more 'fun' games and a less detached feeling towards the system. If this is what other gaming is, I'll buy an NX and not bother to dip my toe anywhere else again.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Rexcalibr

The Wii U is doing a lot better than I thought.

Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

I own an XBOX one that I never play, and play my Wii U almost every day.

Wish I would have gotten the PS4 instead of the XBOX one.

Rexcalibr

Sean_Aaron

@MrGawain: I have to hope the shop interface on the machine is better than the web front end for it - just awful for browsing, slow and hangs a lot when changing pages. I also like how the filters don't eliminate DLC packs or avatars, wow.

I can only hope the download experience is better on the PS3, though I've still not decided definitely to get one.

Haru17

Sean_Aaron wrote:

...Yeah, I'm gonna call BS on this. The only reason the PS4 is doing so well is that it plays "everything but Nintendo games," basically. Name X genre and it has some corresponding good games on it. Saying that the multiplatform space has 'mostly 1st & 3rd person action games' is like saying the Wii U has 'mostly Mario games.'

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

VanillaLake

@MrGawain I love the PS4 controller, it's very comfortable and the analogue sticks are much more precise than Wii U's. About indie games, I'd recommend you "Journey". Keep an eye on the upcoming Street Fighter V if you like classic fighting. Next year you'll have many choices for PS4.

@Sean_Aaron I agree.

About Microsoft, I disliked Xbox One when it was released but now Kinect-less, with backwards compatibility coming and with Rare Replay it's becoming so tempting. I think Xbox One will come closer to PS4 in the next years.

Socar

Here's my take on this, I don't think the Wii U is the worst thing that Nintendo has ever done. If anything, they attempted to do something that's always considered rather inconvenient which is when your mom or dad want to watch tv and you're still playing, its annoying for them to like bug you. With the Wii U, that's now the least of the problems.

The reason why the Wii U failed isn't because of the system or the lack of marketing. The real reason and this is what I think is the reason the Wii U failed is because of the promises that were announced but were later cancelled. Having only one gamepad when they announced that the Wii U will have more and then saying no to that is....well bad.

Another reason is the lack of games. Even though I haven't gotten it yet, right now I can say that only five games are something that I want for the system. Sure, you could argue that the 3DS also lacked that quantity that the DS has but here's the issue, I wanted like more than five games on that thing.

If it means anything to those who either hate or love Nintendo, the Wii U is a learning move that Nintendo will observe when they release NX. Obviously, the merges, acquiring an unknown company and lastly, in partnership with Dena is something that Nintendo is doing as means of backup should anything go wrong with the NX.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

rockodoodle

I've had an Xbox One for just over a year. While I like certain things about it- I think I got my money's worth out of the Wii U much sooner than I did the Xbone. I got a lot out of NintendoLand and Sonic & Allstars Racing. Just guessing that I doubt I get near as much out of any XBone title as I have with Smash, MK8, Super Mario 3d World and now Splatoon/Mario Maker. Eventually it will pay off- just that I could have waited and not missed out on all that much.

rockodoodle

Sean_Aaron

Haru17 wrote:

...Yeah, I'm gonna call BS on this. The only reason the PS4 is doing so well is that it plays "everything but Nintendo games," basically. Name X genre and it has some corresponding good games on it. Saying that the multiplatform space has 'mostly 1st & 3rd person action games' is like saying the Wii U has 'mostly Mario games.'

Yes, other genres are represented, but they aren't used to sell the machine. Look at bundles and what gets the highest profile in shops and action titles are first and foremost outside of the odd football title or racing game. You can continue to point out that there are loads of RPGs and indie games, but they are absolutely not what is selling PlayStation or Xbox consoles in large numbers. If PS4 was the home of amazing RPGs and games like Journey, but didn't have Witcher or Dark Souls or GTA or the rest it would be a disaster for Sony.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

Haru17

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Yes, other genres are represented, but they aren't used to sell the machine. Look at bundles and what gets the highest profile in shops and action titles are first and foremost outside of the odd football title or racing game. You can continue to point out that there are loads of RPGs and indie games, but they are absolutely not what is selling PlayStation or Xbox consoles in large numbers. If PS4 was the home of amazing RPGs and games like Journey, but didn't have Witcher or Dark Souls or GTA or the rest it would be a disaster for Sony.

IT'SA ME; MARIO ON WII!

Untitled

IT'SA ME; MARIO ON WII!

Untitled

IT'SA ME; MARIO ON WII!

Untitled

IT'SA ME; MARIO ON WII!

Untitled

IT'SA ME; MARIO ON WII!

Untitled

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Sleepingmudkip

Untitled

You forgot the mario maker bundle

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Sean_Aaron

Yes and there are many non-Mario bundles as well. Not get your point.

On the PS3 Super Slim my first impressions are: I can hear a fan running when the machine isn't doing anything but running the OS. I have to download the PlayStation Store app - what the hell is this? Not even the Wii had to do that! After that I start it and my god, just getting to the front page is like booting a PSOne game. Why the hell is this vastly slower than the Wii U eShop or actually any other online shop front I've ever seen. It's not even playing music! And the OS is unnecessarily cumbersome to navigate, made worse by using a controller that seems to be identical to the dual shock I had in 1996 barring analogue triggers. No way I could make this my primary console. Going to see about some Pac-Man and Galaga now...

UGXwolf

@VanillaLake: The problem with that list is that nearly all of it can be bought on other systems. Many I'd prefer to have. PS4 needs games I can't get on PC, 360, Wii U, or Xbox One to entice me.

More related to the topic of the thread, these numbers shouldn't surprise anyone. With everyone and their grandma convinced Nintendo's going to drop support for the Wii U next year (and anyone that can recognize a pattern probably certain Wii U games will be playable on the bext gen Nintendo console), it's only natural we would see a drop in sales. Meanwhile, Sony is finally announcing games people with other systems care about, so that rise in sales should similarly surprise no one.

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.