Forums

Topic: PS4 vs Xbox One vs Wii U Global Lifetime Sales August 2015 Update

Posts 41 to 55 of 55

Haru17

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Yes and there are many non-Mario bundles as well. Not get your point.

Like before; Mario is used to sell Nintendo's stuff in an at the same rate that 1st & 3rd person action games are used to sell playstations. Not to mention that both classifications are so overly broad as to be meaningless. Action adventure has always been a cop-out classification and Mario has spanned different genres since 1992 or so.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Sean_Aaron

The highest profile games on the system feature gameplay primarily centred around shooting things with guns or hacking them with swords. I didn't use any genre classification. Happy now?

Having finally set up a PSN account I can safely say that the PlayStation Store is possibly the worst online game shop I've seen. It's worse than the web version. Slow, clunky and difficult to browse. I think I ended up quitting out of it at least once. Just shocking. Clumsy as the Wii shop was at least I could find things and I didn't have to make sure I was looking at stuff I could actually run on my system. The best feature is not having games install after download - why wouldn't I want to do that? And it's a foreground-only operation - why? I'm glad I don't plan on getting too many games for the system given how painful a process it is. And do I really need to get an email confirming every single purchase? I just cannot believe people had the gall to slag the Wii in the face of this...

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Haru17

Sooooooooooooooooo fanboy, dude.

BearHunger

Yeah, the PlayStation Store interface on PS3 is pretty terrible. I thought the Wii Shop had its problems (or at least read other people say so and didn't disagree), but then I got a PS3 and realized that its counterpart was actually worse.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

VanillaLake

@UGXwolf: For starters, all Naughty Dog software is PS-exclusive and Street Fighter V won't be available elsewhere unless you are counting PC, but if your favourite gaming platform is PC then you probably don't give a **** for consoles anyway. About the Xbox One, that thing is becoming a very good choice once it got Kinect-less (cheaper) and backwards compatible (fully available in November). Xbox One has also one of the best games collection EVER, Rare Replay. That is something you won't find elsewhere. Wii U has, of course, Nintendo exclusive games, not many though, that's why most people are starting to look elsewhere and that's why I talk about other options.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

Sleepingmudkip

saying nintendo amazing first party is what will keep them afloat is having less and less impact anymore

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Sean_Aaron

Haru17 wrote:

Sooooooooooooooooo fanboy, dude.

You're unable to refute my statement, but rather than admitting to a platform's limitations (in this case the limited genre of the biggest sellers on the platform), you resort to name-calling. Bravo.

I think it's a shame that the PlayStation line is so popular, only because the basic interfaces are so inferior: non-customisable menu interface (I'm not talking about meaningless surface details like the colour of backgrounds), the way you're forced to update games before you can play them and a controller that's barely changed in 20 years. The analogue sticks don't feel as nice as the Wii U Pro Controller and the build quality feels a lot cheaper than the Xbox 360 controller. The physical machine looks better than the Xbox ONE (that seems to have taken a page from 1960s brutalist architecture), but it's very much inferior to the look and feel of the Wii and the Wii U, let alone the Xbox 360, which was actually a decent-looking machine, if a bit too close to a PC tower.

My Nintendo consoles I'm happy to sit under my TV: they're quiet and tasteful-looking. This huge, black plastic thing (incredibly smaller than two previous versions) isn't something I really want to see. I don't plan to run disc games, so I think I'll put it somewhere less-visible, like behind some Wii accessories. There, now you can call me a fanboy.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

Haru17

The PS3 has a poor controller that is too small for human hands and has your thumbs bump and it loads slow for a computer in 2015, being a computer that was current in 2006... and it plays games.

The Wii was a machine that was on a dulled graphical edge and didn't focus on online... and it played games.

The Gamecube wasn't a cube... and it played games.

None of this explains ranting about menus?!? I played my Gamecube and Wii and didn't take issue with any of the gripes back then, so why would I take issue with similarly surface-level, fanboy-shouted concerns with a PS3 or PS4 now...? And, no, that last 'fanboy' wasn't in reference to you.

Sean_Aaron

Well the Wii interface was quite usable; explains why they hung onto it for the Wii U. Having channels laid out is great, as is the ability to shuffle off things you don't care about or make folders. The GameCube menu wasn't relevant outside of moving and deleting save files.

Modern consoles the way you find stuff is via the menu, so it's definitely worth ranting about. I don't know what a lot of the stuff on the XMB is for and I don't really care about its media player functionality. Not being able to easily see the charge level on my controller is unhelpful as is a lot of stuff about the PS3. I'd hope the PS4 is better, but a lack of backwards-compatibility and a £300 price tag are serious turn-offs. I'm enjoying the games on the machine, but it would be simpler if they were on Wii U.

I thought my list of complaints was over, but now we have the amazingly useless charging the controller issue. Despite having a mini-USB port it appears only special USB chargers (read: licensed to charge PS3 controllers) or the console itself can charge the controller. What the hell was Sony thinking?

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BearHunger

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Not being able to easily see the charge level on my controller is unhelpful as is a lot of stuff about the PS3.

If you press or hold the PS button, a menu opens that shows the controller's battery life, like on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. (Pressing brings up the XMB, holding brings up a simpler screen that lets you quit the game, turn off the console, or turn off the controller.) I think the game still runs while either of these menus is open, though, so you usually have to pause first.

Sean_Aaron wrote:

I thought my list of complaints was over, but now we have the amazingly useless charging the controller issue. Despite having a mini-USB port it appears only special USB chargers (read: licensed to charge PS3 controllers) or the console itself can charge the controller. What the hell was Sony thinking?

Doesn't the console come with one of those cords? I think the extra controller I bought does too. Charging the controller by plugging it into a computer worked when I tried it with the bundled cord. I agree that it is colossally stupid that the console can only charge the controller when it's powered on, but I think that is also the case with the Wii U Pro controllers.

The point of this post if you already know all of this, which is likely, is that I don't see how Nintendo's consoles don't have these same issues at least to an extent.

Sean_Aaron wrote:

I'd hope the PS4 is better

I don't have a PS4, but I've used one, and the only things I found noticeably better about the console features were that the console has a standby mode that can charge controllers, and that the controller itself is better. I haven't used it much, but its interface seems worse than the PS3's to me.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

dumedum

Sean_Aaron wrote:

The highest profile games on the system feature gameplay primarily centred around shooting things with guns or hacking them with swords. I didn't use any genre classification. Happy now?

Having finally set up a PSN account I can safely say that the PlayStation Store is possibly the worst online game shop I've seen. It's worse than the web version. Slow, clunky and difficult to browse. I think I ended up quitting out of it at least once. Just shocking. Clumsy as the Wii shop was at least I could find things and I didn't have to make sure I was looking at stuff I could actually run on my system. The best feature is not having games install after download - why wouldn't I want to do that? And it's a foreground-only operation - why? I'm glad I don't plan on getting too many games for the system given how painful a process it is. And do I really need to get an email confirming every single purchase? I just cannot believe people had the gall to slag the Wii in the face of this...

Not surprising dude. People bashed on the Wii menus but essentially Nintendo was always a step ahead I agree. Anyway, the Wii U interface is gorgeous what with the Game Pad and everything.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Haru17

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Not being able to easily see the charge level on my controller is unhelpful as is a lot of stuff about the PS3. I'd hope the PS4 is better...

You just hold the PS button on both; just like the Wii home button's function.

...but a lack of backwards-compatibility and a £300 price tag are serious turn-offs.

You just said you already had a PS3, just don't sell that; it's perhaps the most useful JRPG box in history.

DefHalan

Haru17 wrote:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

...but a lack of backwards-compatibility and a £300 price tag are serious turn-offs.

You just said you already had a PS3, just don't sell that; it's perhaps the most useful JRPG box in history.

Some people don't have space to keep a bunch of systems hooked up. I can only have 1 game system plugged in at a time, which means my Wife's PS3 is just sitting in a box, she just doesn't play it anymore.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Sean_Aaron

BearHunger wrote:

If you press or hold the PS button, a menu opens that shows the controller's battery life, like on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. (Pressing brings up the XMB, holding brings up a simpler screen that lets you quit the game, turn off the console, or turn off the controller.) I think the game still runs while either of these menus is open, though, so you usually have to pause first.

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Doesn't the console come with one of those cords? I think the extra controller I bought does too. Charging the controller by plugging it into a computer worked when I tried it with the bundled cord. I agree that it is colossally stupid that the console can only charge the controller when it's powered on, but I think that is also the case with the Wii U Pro controllers.

Yeah I found out about pressing the PS button, but what the Dualshock 3 DOESN'T do that a Wii/Wii U controller will is flash the lights to tell you battery level if the console is switched off by pressing any button. Very handy feature, that.

And the charging isn't a cord issue, it's that the controller requires the data pins on the USB port it's connecting to be live so it can "handshake" - makes no sense. So you can charge off a powered-on PS3 or a computer, but not a USB charger, like one that comes with a phone because, duh, they don't send data and tend to lack those pins. And yes, my Pro Controllers and the Horipad I got for my iPad gaming will happily charge off of any USB charger no bother. Not helpful Sony!

But I have to say playing Flower and being able to download loads of classic PS games I had in the 90s is just brilliant - if only I didn't have to hunt through the shop to find them! Here's hoping they get the rights issues sorted for Parappa to come to the Store and I'd love to see the Store patched so it stops crashing on me or failing to load menus just because I wanted to look at game details and then go back to what I was browsing. I finally found what looked like a good way to browse titles only to see that the PSOne link led me to an empty screen; another menu choice in a part if the shop called "PS1" had games in it, but was missing stuff I had searched for on the web like Front Mission 3.

A useful sort option for games (I don't know, alphabetical by title - why isn't that already there?) would also be lovely as sorting by creation date seems to get it wrong as does grouping by console, given the number of HD remakes out there.

These failures are so basic I'm baffled by their existence. It's almost like Sony doesn't care about their product or customers when they allow this kind of thing to happen. If the PS3 wasn't being sold any more and they weren't supporting it, fair enough, but that isn't the case and the web version of the Store has the same issues. I guess that's why Apple is the world's biggest tech company, not Sony.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

Haru17

DefHalan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Some people don't have space to keep a bunch of systems hooked up. I can only have 1 game system plugged in at a time, which means my Wife's PS3 is just sitting in a box, she just doesn't play it anymore.

Well; yeah. You can just put it and the physical games in a box like that. It's not like playing PS3 games is hugely common; even Japanese series are switching over.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.