Wii U Forum

Topic: People don't seem to respect uniqueness.

Showing 41 to 60 of 64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

41. Posted:

It's nice how some people inevitably bring up the issues with the first 2 or so years of xbox 360 (the overheating issue) and that there are only shooters and racers for the system. Apparently after having a 360 (actually 4 of them for said issue, lol) I can say that there were many quality title on the system, actually there were the most titles I liked this generation because except a few system exclusives (mainly Nintendo with its core franchises and unchartered/killzone on ps3) you basicly had a good slice of everything on the 360 so please don't bash a system you have no idea of. Yes it had trouble early in its life but also Wii U doesn't seem to go that smooth (neither that catastrophic) and the PS3 had struggles as well because of its high price point.

All I am saying is like a system for what it is and dislike it for what it is not - in your personal opinion, all further debate is basically pointless and I just don't like people defending stupid arguments.

No regrets.

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

luminalace

42. Posted:

I never bagged the other consoles. My post was about people not respecting that Nintendo try things that are unique. How that blew up into all the other stuff, I have no clue. In fact I even mentioned I own a PS3 and owned a Xbox and will very likely buy both of their next iterations.

I certainlybhave nothing against Xbox or Playstation for that matter. In fact as far as last gen goes, I may actually have had most fun on my Xbox 360. I only sold it because most of the games I was buying were multi pkatform titles and was not prepared to pay for Live any more because the PS online experience was good enough for me.

Edited on by luminalace

luminalace

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

43. Posted:

luminalace wrote:

I never bagged the other consoles. My post was about people not respecting that Nintendo try things that are unique. How that blew up into all the other stuff, I have no clue. In fact I even mentioned I own a PS3 and owned a Xbox and will very likely buy both of their next iterations.

I certainlybhave nothing against Xbox or Playstation for that matter. In fact as far as last gen goes, I may actually have had most fun on my Xbox 360. I only sold it because most of the games I was buying were multi pkatform titles and was not prepared to pay for Live any more because the PS online experience was good enough for me.

Isn't it possible for someone to respect that Nintendo is doing unique things, but still have no interest in buying their consoles?

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkLloyd

44. Posted:

i respect uniqueness or whatever the word for it is :P what really grind my gears is the comment bashing of any system which reads as ingorant because you can tell it isnt a professional opinion being typed but rather typed that of a child like manner who just wants to spew something out immediatly

DarkLloyd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

45. Posted:

@Bankai @Skywake Personally, I think both extremes are equally qualified, so long as they can express their opinion clearly and completely. Granted, that is something not a lot of people do, and I myself find it very difficult to do, but if you can find someone who can do that, and you can understand where they're coming from, you often end up with a lot of valuable information, regardless of whether or not you agree or have the same experience. Even a fanboy review can provide valuable insight for someone who has no prior interest interest in a console, and vice versa, so long as the opinion is thoroughly expressed.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

46. Posted:

As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn two truths: you can never please everyone, and posting on the internet automatically gives every soul a doctorate in psychology (including me) :)

There have been some crazy responses here... like the dude who said you can know you don't like something without actually trying it. ...I don't agree. I think you can know you DON'T WANT to try something, but you can't know if you like something if you don't actually do it. That's where the classic "walk a mile in their shoes" expression came from- you just don't know unless you've been there/done that.

So, I think some people ARE content with other consoles/PC, and KNOW they DON'T WANT a Wii U. But those same people, if they've never played one, can't say they don't like it with any sort of validity.

I hope that made sense.

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

47. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn two truths: you can never please everyone, and posting on the internet automatically gives every soul a doctorate in psychology (including me) :)

There have been some crazy responses here... like the dude who said you can know you don't like something without actually trying it. ...I don't agree. I think you can know you DON'T WANT to try something, but you can't know if you like something if you don't actually do it. That's where the classic "walk a mile in their shoes" expression came from- you just don't know unless you've been there/done that.

So, I think some people ARE content with other consoles/PC, and KNOW they DON'T WANT a Wii U. But those same people, if they've never played one, can't say they don't like it with any sort of validity.

I hope that made sense.

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

Registered on this site 50 miinutes ago. Interesting.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

48. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn two truths: you can never please everyone, and posting on the internet automatically gives every soul a doctorate in psychology (including me) :)

There have been some crazy responses here... like the dude who said you can know you don't like something without actually trying it. ...I don't agree. I think you can know you DON'T WANT to try something, but you can't know if you like something if you don't actually do it. That's where the classic "walk a mile in their shoes" expression came from- you just don't know unless you've been there/done that.

So, I think some people ARE content with other consoles/PC, and KNOW they DON'T WANT a Wii U. But those same people, if they've never played one, can't say they don't like it with any sort of validity.

I hope that made sense.

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

You're wrong! They can say they don't like it with validity without trying it. Liking something is all in the mind set and how it seems to you. You can not like something without trying it, it is very possible. No, I don't have a doctorate in anything, but Tinglelology and that pretty much makes my response the most valid out of the thread.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

49. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn two truths: you can never please everyone, and posting on the internet automatically gives every soul a doctorate in psychology (including me) :)

There have been some crazy responses here... like the dude who said you can know you don't like something without actually trying it. ...I don't agree. I think you can know you DON'T WANT to try something, but you can't know if you like something if you don't actually do it. That's where the classic "walk a mile in their shoes" expression came from- you just don't know unless you've been there/done that.

So, I think some people ARE content with other consoles/PC, and KNOW they DON'T WANT a Wii U. But those same people, if they've never played one, can't say they don't like it with any sort of validity.

I hope that made sense.

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

Registered on this site 50 miinutes ago. Interesting.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to register somewhere so that I can post. What is your deal, man? I wanted to respond to some threads, so I registered at the site. What is the big problem?

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

50. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn two truths: you can never please everyone, and posting on the internet automatically gives every soul a doctorate in psychology (including me) :)

There have been some crazy responses here... like the dude who said you can know you don't like something without actually trying it. ...I don't agree. I think you can know you DON'T WANT to try something, but you can't know if you like something if you don't actually do it. That's where the classic "walk a mile in their shoes" expression came from- you just don't know unless you've been there/done that.

So, I think some people ARE content with other consoles/PC, and KNOW they DON'T WANT a Wii U. But those same people, if they've never played one, can't say they don't like it with any sort of validity.

I hope that made sense.

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

Registered on this site 50 miinutes ago. Interesting.

That's a pretty serious charge, dude.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shirma_Akayaku

51. Posted:

I can't really find the right thing to say here but this: To me, it seems that uniqueness is a perception of the mind. Everyone sees uniqueness in different ways. You can say pizza is the most unique food out there, but I can or might disagree with you and say that french fries is unique (I hope this makes sense to ya'll).

WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour + DLC
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4 (both) + Wii U GameCube Adapter + Controller
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors

Mii Name: Shirma / Gil

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shirma_Akayaku

52. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

I wonder why you would make this point at the last part of what you're saying.

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour + DLC
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4 (both) + Wii U GameCube Adapter + Controller
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors

Mii Name: Shirma / Gil

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

53. Posted:

Ulala wrote:

I can't really find the right thing to say here but this: To me, it seems that uniqueness is a perception of the mind. Everyone sees uniqueness in different ways. You can say pizza is the most unique food out there, but I can or might disagree with you and say that french fries is unique (I hope this makes sense to ya'll).

I have a doctorate in french fries, so I know it's the more unique food... As for walking a mile in someone elses shoes: What if the second mile is different? A mile is not enough difference to determine a whole person's outlook. Sorry @rallydefault, I just had to say some nonsense.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

54. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Bankai @Skywake Personally, I think both extremes are equally qualified, so long as they can express their opinion clearly and completely. Granted, that is something not a lot of people do, and I myself find it very difficult to do, but if you can find someone who can do that, and you can understand where they're coming from, you often end up with a lot of valuable information, regardless of whether or not you agree or have the same experience. Even a fanboy review can provide valuable insight for someone who has no prior interest interest in a console, and vice versa, so long as the opinion is thoroughly expressed.

A review is fine because you'd assume a reviewer would spend some time with the product. If they don't you'd call it a bad review anyway and you'd know it was bad because of the multiple non-subjective errors. Like the site which reviewed the Wii U and claimed that the console itself was bulky.....

Plus I think you're missing the point I was making. I wasn't saying that critical reviews are bad or that the extremes of enthusiasm for a product make an opinion invalid. I was simply saying that the opinions of someone who hasn't spend enough time with the thing in question isn't worth the time. If someone who has never touched a Wii U complains then it's reasonable to take their criticisms with a grain of salt. If they don't own it AND they're a massive PS3/360 fanboy then take it with a bucket of salt.

I don't think this is an unreasonable level to set the bar. It does mean that most of the people I'm willing to listen to about it are obviously interested enough in the idea of it to have spent money on it. It doesn't mean that all of the opinions you can get of it are from fanboys however. There are plenty of people who regret getting any product and they always manage to find their way onto the intenet (because when you're happy you usually don't go on long rants about it on the internet). Plus I'd rather hear what a fanboy has to say about a product than someone who has never seen one and never plans to.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

55. Posted:

Ulala wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

I wonder why you would make this point at the last part of what you're saying.

Umm, he was making a joke. It was a callback to the very first sentence of his post: "As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn two truths: you can never please everyone, and posting on the internet automatically gives every soul a doctorate in psychology (including me)".

Seriously, did you not get that? :P

Also @brooks83 What the hell, dude? New people register and post all the time. If someone is double-accounting, leave that to the mods. You seriously have no basis for saying something like that.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shirma_Akayaku

56. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

Ulala wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Remember: I have a doctorate in psychology. I can't be wrong.

I wonder why you would make this point at the last part of what you're saying.

Umm, he was making a joke. It was a callback to the very first sentence of his post: "As we get older and learn more about the world, we learn two truths: you can never please everyone, and posting on the internet automatically gives every soul a doctorate in psychology (including me)".

Seriously, did you not get that? :P

Also @brooks83 What the hell, dude? New people register and post all the time. If someone is double-accounting, leave that to the mods. You seriously have no basis for saying something like that.

Oh I do understand the joke but I meant to ask that for those who might come across this and not understand the joke. I showed this to my brother and he didn't understand it so that's a reason why I made that comment.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I was expecting a response like yours, that way someone else (you) can say the answer (I'm being lazy about it)

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour + DLC
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4 (both) + Wii U GameCube Adapter + Controller
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors

Mii Name: Shirma / Gil

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

57. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Plus I'd rather hear what a fanboy has to say about a product than someone who has never seen one and never plans to.

But as I think waltz explained, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a certain answer from them. And do you mean to tell me you have no interest in why a person doesn't want to get a certain product? Certainly they have something to bring to the table, too.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

58. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

skywake wrote:

Plus I'd rather hear what a fanboy has to say about a product than someone who has never seen one and never plans to.

But as I think waltz explained, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a certain answer from them. And do you mean to tell me you have no interest in why a person doesn't want to get a certain product? Certainly they have something to bring to the table, too.

Most likely a fanboy will only praise the system and rationalize any faults with it just because they are so loyal to the brand.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

59. Posted:

Understanding why someone didn't get something has value sure, but their opinions are still based on secondhand information. The person who did get it is obviously biased towards liking it but at least they have firsthand experience with the thing in question.

For example my router recently started playing up something horrible (a combination of it being a mid-range router, having more devices than I did when I got it and four days with MAX-temps ~40C or >100F for the Americans here). So in response I decided it was time to get a new one and looked to random forums to work out which one was my best option. Found a very popular one at a decent price along with a range of opinions on how good it was. A large chunk of people were saying it should be avoided and recommended different brands but didn't seem to actually own it. The rest either owned it and thought it was great or were like me trying to work out whether it was good or not. So I got it... and (touch wood) having owned it for a couple of days it's the best router I've had in a long while.

Now routers provoke much less enthusiasm than a console obviously but the same general approach applies here. First hand knowledge trumps the bias from owning it. Always.

brooks83 wrote:

Most likely a fanboy will only praise the system and rationalize any faults with it just because they are so loyal to the brand.

The thing is all opinions you will find will be biased in one way or the other. Period. However if you want to know how the thing actually is you're better asking someone who has spent time with it rather than someone who hasn't.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

60. Posted:

@Skywake I see where you're coming from at least, though I still think the input of someone with "second-hand knowledge", to borrow your term, is still valuable, even if it isn't as valuable.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~