Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 621 to 640 of 4,835

LavaTwilight

If you think about it, the original mario only had 32 levels and so 60 isn't a bad deal. Granted some will be much shorter than typical levels, but we've also seen some will be longer. I actually see your point @Pahvi about how people will view Nintendo levels V user-created levels. Still some prefer the 'fun' autonomous levels and some prefer the 'lost-level-esque' form of punishment. Each to their own but we should view each level as it is - someone's attempt to have someone else enjoy their creativity... unless it's blatantly in poor taste of course

Mario Maker ID - 4XR BYS 5PF

My Nintendo: Mikee | Nintendo Network ID: LavaTwilight

Sisilly_G

Didn't they previously announce that there would be NINETY pack-in levels?

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

blaisedinsd

@skywake
Clearly you are wrong because the 100+ level rumor generated a lot of excitement, it was news. Whether or not you understand why people are excited about this game including levels is on you. You stated yourself that you are just confused...you don't understand why people care about it. As I stated earlier it adds value to the game plus it gives you some stuff to do without being online. The more levels included the better....I hope every level they have shown off in trailers and such is included on the disc. That would be better than if they were not.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

SW-7087-5868-6390

LzWinky

There could always be more levels later...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Budda

A small question in between this discussion.
I was wondering if you are able to place notes in our stages?
I saw something like that at screenshots, but it looked like they're just MiiVerse posts.

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

Rexcalibr

I wonder how large the track / music selection will be for Mario Maker. Smash Bros have one of the best of all time and I hope they continue here with a huge library of tracks to choose from. So, far, I've only seen the typical classic mario music.

Rexcalibr

skywake

blaisedinsd wrote:

@skywake
Clearly you are wrong because the 100+ level rumor generated a lot of excitement, it was news. Whether or not you understand why people are excited about this game including levels is on you. You stated yourself that you are just confused...you don't understand why people care about it. As I stated earlier it adds value to the game plus it gives you some stuff to do without being online. The more levels included the better....I hope every level they have shown off in trailers and such is included on the disc. That would be better than if they were not.

Well that's the funny thing, on the previous page I went through three possible reasons why people might care. Two of which you've listed here. The other people arguing in favour of your point of view said neither were the reasons why they cared. They've instead been arguing that it's more that they're not convinced of the quality of the user-generated levels. So why is it such a stretch for there to be people who not only don't agree with you on your theory as to why it matters but also trust that the user levels will be of a decent quality? It's not a stretch.

Also I think it's a bit self centred of you to argue that the news that levels would be included "generated excitement". Maybe for you it did. Maybe for the small section of people who excitedly clicked on that article that was the case. The internet is a large place so I assume there were some people who were even sitting there waiting because that was the only thing holding them back from being interested. And personally I don't really understand why. When I heard this piece of information I thought "well that's nice I guess but so what?". It didn't sway me at all on how worthwhile the title was.

Although I must repeat once more, I'm not at all trying to say they should remove the pre-made levels. I have never once said that. Clearly it matters to some for whatever reason. All I'm saying is that I don't really understand why people care whether there's 100 levels built in, 60 or none. To me the built in levels are like the demo drawings and tunes in Mario Paint. Or the sample videos you sometimes get on a new media thingo. I'm not going to chuck a tantrum that they're included, I even kinda like the fact that they are. All I'm saying is that it doesn't bother me either way and it's not the reason why I'd be getting the thing.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

shaneoh

Took $70 in and paid off what's left of my Mario Maker preorder. That leaves me with $60 for personal spending for the next 12 days. I can manage that

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Atariboy

I never thought about what happens when the inevitable server shutdown happens someday.

All the more reason why a substantial group of pre-made levels is an important component of this product.

skywake wrote:

The other people arguing in favour of your point of view said neither were the reasons why they cared.

I never thought of it.

I was never restrictive on my reasons why I think this matters. I simply said that it does matter, and tried to explain in part why I think that.

skywake wrote:

They've instead been arguing that it's more that they're not convinced of the quality of the user-generated levels.

And I assume this is in reference to me...

I think that if you go back and reread my responses, I don't say this beyond the context of the opening few weeks after launch. Then, assuming that Nintendo's online setup is robust, I'm sure that plenty of excellent creations will rise to the top as the more talented among us start to draw attention with their creations and push the average and substandard content down the ladder.

skywake wrote:

Also I think it's a bit self centred of you to argue that the news that levels would be included "generated excitement".

Haven't you been doing the exact thing with the opposite viewpoint?

It sure got a lot of press and led to plenty of discussion at places like Neogaf, so I'd say that his statement is entirely fair. He never said that he was speaking for everyone. But clearly, a significant percentage of people do see value in this feature. Perhaps they're the minority (Does it matter? As long as thousands do, this easy and worthwhile inclusion certainly makes sense and adds value to the final product), but I'd definitely suggest that a substantial number of people feel this way.

If we have leaderboards, it will be fun to actually confirm this in a few months. Compare some of the best and most popular homemade efforts and how many users have posted a time, with the average numbers for the included levels. Then see where the numbers actually fall.

I suspect there's a lot more interest in these than there's going to be disinterest. We'll have to revisit this again...

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

LzWinky

Rexcalibr wrote:

I wonder how large the track / music selection will be for Mario Maker. Smash Bros have one of the best of all time and I hope they continue here with a huge library of tracks to choose from. So, far, I've only seen the typical classic mario music.

It seems that there will be new tracks in the game. For example, Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World have new airship themes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

GoneFishin wrote:

I was never restrictive on my reasons why I think this matters. I simply said that it does matter, and tried to explain in part why I think that.

You and others have only been talking about the quality of the levels. That has been the entire discussion. I even brought up these other two points on the previous page and was told that it was purely about the quality. That they didn't even think of the "value" proposition or the server requirements. Hell, in this post above you repeated this sentiment saying that you didn't think of it either! So please don't give me crap about simply pointing this fact out.

GoneFishin wrote:

Haven't you been doing the exact thing with the opposite viewpoint?

Except that I'm fairly confident that people would still be just as hyped about this game if it didn't "include" any levels. Some people were hyped about this game before online was confirmed. I'm not arguing that nobody cares about the built in levels. I should repeat again that I'm not saying that they should take the built in levels out. All I'm saying is that the included levels probably don't add much to the package for the vast majority of people.

I'll put it this way. If the game was just a Mario level creator? I think people would be interested somewhat. Maybe a hype level of 6/10 or something. That same thing with online sharing? The hype is off the charts. Built in levels? Well maybe for a small minority that pushes them over the line and for a certain kind of person maybe that stops them from returning the game because it "has no levels". I think that's about how it is. They should include the levels but I think the vast majority of people won't care either way.

Going the other way? A weird Mario game that's just New SMB again but with different levels? Well sure it'd sell but how is it different from NSMB U, Luigi U or NSMB 2? Maybe it becomes another million seller and maybe that's what you're after. But I'm kinda bored of that game at this point and I don't think I'm at all alone. Add in level creation and sharing? Well that's an entirely different game.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LavaTwilight

Dudes, seriously. You guys are the reason I don't frequent the bloody forums pages. It's not just you guys and on other topics it's others too but damnit... whatever!

Mario Maker ID - 4XR BYS 5PF

My Nintendo: Mikee | Nintendo Network ID: LavaTwilight

Rexcalibr

Untitled

Anyway, I hope there is a huge selection of music to choose from for your stages but from what I've seen in videos, it's just based off if your stage is a fortress or not, and what version of Mario it is.

Rexcalibr

Askeptic

BlueBlurIxM wrote:

A small question in between this discussion.
I was wondering if you are able to place notes in our stages?
I saw something like that at screenshots, but it looked like they're just MiiVerse posts.

Ya, I watched a treehouse on youtube and they mentioned this feature can be turned on or off. (Whether the notes show up or not on your screen). People can write notes or place pics they draw on your course to help others.

With that said, that it he first thing I am turning off Seemed to get in the way while playing, and who knows what people will do.

Askeptic

Askeptic

Rexcalibr wrote:

Untitled

Anyway, I hope there is a huge selection of music to choose from for your stages but from what I've seen in videos, it's just based off if your stage is a fortress or not, and what version of Mario it is.

Same thing I saw. Music is static based upon which Mario game and stage you are working with.

Askeptic

Dezzy

skywake wrote:

Also I think it's a bit self centred of you to argue that the news that levels would be included "generated excitement". Maybe for you it did. Maybe for the small section of people who excitedly clicked on that article that was the case.

Did you have any data on this at all before you deemed someone self-centered? I was pretty damn happy about the included levels too.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

LzWinky

On the levels argument, I say "So what?" Super Mario Maker shouldn't be judged by how many initial levels are in the game because of several reasons:

1. You can make your own levels
2. There are users here, including myself, who will make good levels
3. Nintendo may do more promotions after the game is out. They did the same thing with WarioWare DIY.

My point is that there will be PLENTY of levels to play after you get the game. If you want to wait, fine, but pre-made levels are only a part of the game.

TeeJay

LztheQuack wrote:

On the levels argument, I say "So what?" Super Mario Maker shouldn't be judged by how many initial levels are in the game because of several reasons:

1. You can make your own levels
2. There are users here, including myself, who will make good levels
3. Nintendo may do more promotions after the game is out. They did the same thing with WarioWare DIY.

My point is that there will be PLENTY of levels to play after you get the game. If you want to wait, fine, but pre-made levels are only a part of the game.

Exactly.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Atariboy

skywake wrote:

GoneFishin wrote:

You and others have only been talking about the quality of the levels. That has been the entire discussion. I even brought up these other two points on the previous page and was told that it was purely about the quality. That they didn't even think of the "value" proposition or the server requirements. Hell, in this post above you repeated this sentiment saying that you didn't think of it either! So please don't give me crap about simply pointing this fact out.

What is wrong with you?

First I'm not allowed to see value in this feature, and now I'm not allowed to agree about a valid point of it becoming even more valuable down the road when a classic gaming fan decides to revisit this long after the server has gone down? And now, you're accusing others of being self-centered when it's you that's objecting to their interest in this component of the game, not vice versa with your disinterest.

Not only that, but you're rude and insulting as you're doing it. Knock it off...

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.