Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 641 to 660 of 4,835

Budda

Askeptic wrote:

BlueBlurIxM wrote:

A small question in between this discussion.
I was wondering if you are able to place notes in our stages?
I saw something like that at screenshots, but it looked like they're just MiiVerse posts.

Ya, I watched a treehouse on youtube and they mentioned this feature can be turned on or off. (Whether the notes show up or not on your screen). People can write notes or place pics they draw on your course to help others.

With that said, that it he first thing I am turning off Seemed to get in the way while playing, and who knows what people will do.

Thank you!
But what I meant was, if the creator of the stage could do a permanent notice that's a constant part of the stage.
That's why I was worried that they're just MiiVerse posts. Even if you post them there yourself, they still could vanish after a few post of others were made.
Because, I want to make a stage where you need to read and "answer" those notes correctly to advance. Or something like that. I have there something in mind that's hard to explain. ^^

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

CM30

Or for those who don't want to click the link:

Untitled

Looks pretty much like the official website background to be honest.

That said, what's with the complaints about levels again? Especially pre bundled ones? Cause while I don't consider many of the currently shown Mario Maker levels to have decent level design, the fact it's a level editor should make this whole thing kind of moot.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Luna_110

LztheQuack wrote:

On the levels argument, I say "So what?" Super Mario Maker shouldn't be judged by how many initial levels are in the game because of several reasons:

1. You can make your own levels
2. There are users here, including myself, who will make good levels
3. Nintendo may do more promotions after the game is out. They did the same thing with WarioWare DIY.

My point is that there will be PLENTY of levels to play after you get the game. If you want to wait, fine, but pre-made levels are only a part of the game.

Agreed! I'm getting this game for the premade levels and for all the user made levels, since I'm not the most creative person myself. But I know there will be plenty of replay value with SMM, so its worthy of being a day one purchase for me.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Joeynator3000

CM30 wrote:

Or for those who don't want to click the link:

Untitled

Looks pretty much like the official website background to be honest.

That said, what's with the complaints about levels again? Especially pre bundled ones? Cause while I don't consider many of the currently shown Mario Maker levels to have decent level design, the fact it's a level editor should make this whole thing kind of moot.

Not enough premade levels, so...you know...it won't be worth $60 now. Or whatever, lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

MasterWario

This is interesting...

I for one don't care about the pre-made levels at all (although I will probably play them); I've been wanting an official Mario editor for years now! There are some decent ones out there on the web, but they have bugs, don't have the physics right, or are too complicated. I can't wait to make those New Super Mario Bros. levels I've always wanted to with a perfect engine, and with extra features to boot!

And about the servers going down, hopefully you'll be able to download several levels, and that would solve that problem, more or less.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Rexcalibr

Here is a 2 hour live stream from IGN for anyone that wants to watch and be teased some more:

EDIT - warning, the guys actually playing the game and commentating are very annoying

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

skywake

GoneFishin wrote:

First I'm not allowed to see value in this feature, and now I'm not allowed to agree about a valid point of it becoming even more valuable down the road when a classic gaming fan decides to revisit this long after the server has gone down?

I never said you weren't "allowed" to see value in the included levels. I simply asked why some people think it's such a big deal given the game will have user generated levels. That was it. Why do people even remotely care about whether 100, 60 or 10 levels are on the disk. And when I asked the only reason put forward was that the user created levels wouldn't be as good. Which I said was kinda missing the point of what the game was about! All I said was that you didn't even bring up the fear of the servers going down. Infact I believe I was the first person to bring it up when I said this:

skywake wrote:

The last reasoning I can think of is that maybe people are worried about the long-term of it. Decades from now if you dust off your copy of Super Mario Maker maybe all you'll have are the built in levels. This is probably the strongest argument I can think of. However it's a very long term problem. Plus by the time we get to that point I reckon I would have well and truly got my money's worth out of it. And the same problem exists for a whole bunch of games. It's a far bigger issue for a game like Splatoon for example.

So please don't pretend I'm saying something I didn't. I never said that you aren't allowed to now be scared of the servers going down. I just said that you never brought it up and nobody was arguing that point. And that given nobody was arguing that point I didn't understand why the included levels were a big deal.

GoneFishin wrote:

And now, you're accusing others of being self-centered when it's you that's objecting to their interest in this component of the game, not vice versa with your disinterest.

Partial quotes losing context as they're shared along. All I said was that it when it was said that the news of included levels "generated excitement" it was probably a bit of a self-centred conclusion. Which was maybe a bad wording that got people worked up. Maybe I should have said that it was a bit of confirmation bias. Because that's what I meant.

And I guess you're right, maybe I am doing the same with my lack of interest in that feature. For sure. However I still think that the mere fact that this game is getting more hype than New SMB goes against that. The only thing that makes this a unique title is the fact that you can build and share levels. So I don't think it's too much of a stretch for me to think that that's the main appeal of the game. If you guys want to argue otherwise? Well maybe you guys should come up with a good argument.

.... and so far, as I said above, the best argument is the fear that the servers will go down.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Gridatttack

My biggest gripe is that this is 60$...

I could get SM3DW instead.

And remember.
Quality over quantity

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

kkslider5552000

Gridatttack wrote:

My biggest gripe is that this is 60$...

I could get SM3DW instead.

And remember.
Quality over quantity

Or you could get Mario Maker, which will have both. shrugs

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

Yeah, kinda goes to the needlessly endless argument/discussion that's been going on here. My only point has been that Super Mario Maker is a game that should give us a near-endless supply of quality levels. Unless you have an extreme scepticism of user generated content I think everyone would agree with that. So why it wouldn't be an instant buy on that concept alone is something I don't understand. Assuming your a fan of 2D Mario games of course.

The concern about what will happen to the game years from now? That's an entirely different discussion.

Edited on by skywake

skywake

Pahvi wrote:

But on the other hand, now that Wii games are pretty much all offline, I can now see the concern in the eventual death of online services better

It's worth remembering that the Wii's online servers weren't really run by Nintendo. They had an external company doing that work for them, one that was effectively owned by IGN. So it was basically IGN's decision to turn the servers off as a cost-cutting measure. The new service, the one that's tied to your NNID? That was developed by and is run by Nintendo themselves. And they've already said that they'll expand the service to phones/tablets and the NX. So it's kinda different.

Down the road for sure, there's a chance that they might remove support for their old platforms. But they have control over it now. And as long as Nintendo is still making platforms I suspect they'll keep the Nintendo Network running in some form. It is a concern but I don't think it's as big a concern as it was previously.

Pahvi wrote:

@skywake I might add a qualifier about the definition of a 2D Mario game not necessarily including the "traditional" level design style. But I suppose it's my problem that I am so picky with the type of levels I like to play...

Then at the risk of alienating someone else I revise it back to what I originally typed before I edited the post and say "fans of 2D Platformers"

Edited on by skywake

skywake

Pahvi wrote:

I'm trying to think of an English variant of the byword that translated to English means "better a bird in hand than ten in the trees". If the online servers contained hundreds of good levels, they're worthless unless I can find and play them.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

Edited on by skywake

skywake

Gridatttack wrote:

@kkslider5552000: It may have both, but I doubt they would be in the same ratio ;P

My guess is that it'll lean towards quantity more than usual. Though not at the expense of quality. I'd wager the quality will still be better than what we're used to in a typical 2D Mario game. Of course I may have a different metric for what constitutes "quality" compared to others.

I look at the levels created in Super Mario Maker so far and it reminds me of the stuff in Star Road in Super Mario World. And those levels were the best levels in that game. They played with the elements and they challenged you. They did stuff that you didn't think could be done in the game. Even though Super Mario Maker is kinda limited in terms of enemies and terrain.... I reckon the levels will be just as good.

Smitherenez

A friend of mine is working at a box printing factory and he mentioned that they were printing the boxes for the WiiU+Mario Maker bundle already. He also said it was a pain to make, thanks to the amiibo windows the box had on the sides.

Please check out my Youtube gaming channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/FullHDPixelletsplays

Nintendo Network ID: Smitherenez

spizzamarozzi

Well, the quality vs quantity issue is a non-issue really. If you take all the levels that have been shown so far (official trailers, Nintendo Threehouse, NWC, Facebook thingy, IGN etc) this game ALREADY looks like the best 2D Mario game we've had in 10 years. So the quality issue is already covered and solved.
As for the quantity - I am not afraid of quantity, honestly. I'm looking forward to play the "bad" levels aswell - why not? I've been playing Super Mario Bros for more than 25 years and I must admit that the predictable, obvious brilliance of some of the professionally made levels tends to bore me at times. So I can't wait to see some original, off-beat ideas that may not be entirely practical or well done but they might be different and interesting to try out.

The longevity of the game is another non-issue. The servers will last enough for you to grow tired of the game. And when in 2025 you'll decide you want to play this old and obsolete game again (for whatever reason) - yes the servers will probably be gone - but you'll be left with all the built-in games and a tool to make your own levels for your kids, your friends and your family.
Yes playing your own levels is not as fun as playing other people's levels, but a good part of the fun is in actually MAKING them, no?!

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi

@skywake: that would be nice. I don't think it will be too impossible to copy that game piece by piece.
I'd also like to see Extra Mario Bros. and Super Mario Frustration.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

spizzamarozzi

Pahvi wrote:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Yes playing your own levels is not as fun as playing other people's levels, but a good part of the fun is in actually MAKING them, no?!

Not really.

then it's not the game for you mate.

99mushrooms

Askeptic wrote:

BlueBlurIxM wrote:

A small question in between this discussion.
I was wondering if you are able to place notes in our stages?
I saw something like that at screenshots, but it looked like they're just MiiVerse posts.

Ya, I watched a treehouse on youtube and they mentioned this feature can be turned on or off. (Whether the notes show up or not on your screen). People can write notes or place pics they draw on your course to help others.

With that said, that it he first thing I am turning off Seemed to get in the way while playing, and who knows what people will do.

I am very relieved that those can be turned off. The only ones I will look at are notes on my own levels.

Edited on by 99mushrooms

Mario vs the corndog farmers 1
BA83-0000-0111-DBEF

Laying pipe for princess peach 2
37FD-0000-00F7-B212

The dangers of shell jumping 1
2D18-0000-0101-C59F

Sky high
752F-0000-0055-28B4

Let me know what you think, I would love feedback and some stars i...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.