Wii U Forum

Topic: is anyone worried about the wii U ??

Showing 81 to 100 of 155

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

81. Posted:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

You guys use the expensive argument which is sort of outdated when you have kids gets iPads for Christmas which are around the same price the 720/PS4 will probably be at launch.

Considering that the parents had already spent lots of money on a more-practical iDevice that does many things in a convenient manner (not to mention cheap games and apps), they would seem less likely to get a console priced at $500+. It doesn't help that games will cost from $10-$60+. So, yeah. Consoles should still be a reasonable price :P

But that's the thing while the Wii U might have postioned itself as a Gaming console the next Xbox and maybe PlayStation are going to be aimed as an all in one box that can do everything.

They have already been testing out a subsidiary opp plan using the current xbox since last summer.

Untitled

Most rumors are pointing toward that as well

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/7/3958546/new-xbox-speech-reco...

Microsoft will greatly improve its speech recognition technology inside the next Xbox, The Verge has learned. Sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealed that Durango, the codename for the next Xbox, will support wake on voice, natural language controls, and speech-to-text. The improved capabilities mean that Xbox users will be able to walk into a room and simply say "Xbox on" to wake up the new Xbox.

Users will also be able to automatically resume video content where it left off simply by asking the new Xbox to play a particular movie. With speech-to-text built-in, it's likely that Microsoft will utilize this support to type out messages using the new Xbox. It's widely expected that Skype will make its Xbox debut on the new console. Microsoft will fully detail its new Xbox at E3 this year, with suggestions from sources that the company may hold a separate event to unveil its new hardware ahead of E3. The new Xbox is expected to be released later this year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/2/3829276/microsoft-reportedly...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3674802/xbox-tv-set-top-bo...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3708146/microsofts-next-ge...

Microsoft also recently purchased R2 studio and made the founder who is also the creator of the sling box vice President of the Interactive Entertainment Bussines.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3633038/microsoft-xbox-360...
As well its been rumored that cable companies will offer the Xbox as as an alternative cable box something that could potentially let Microsoft get a crazy head start.

Theverge did a great piece on this using the current Xbox as a basis.

But in the end just look at how the current Xbox is being advertised.

Untitled

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

82. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Well, at the time the N64 launched it looked totally backwards compared to the Playstation and the Dreamcast: expensive, cartridge-based media, 3D focus at a time when 3D games largely looked like primitive military training simulators. The Playstation was just awesome; especially if you were a fan of 2D sprite-based games.

I for one don't think there's anything fishy about the stories we're seeing, I just think the Ubisoft news has served as an unfortunate catalyst so other folk feel the need to chime in with their views on the platform and they're all 3rd parties who are anxious about the state of the medium and don't see the Wii U as saving their collective backsides. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more major publishers hit the wall and another round of consolidation in the industry. I think Tecmo-Koei would make a really nice acquisition for Nintendo myself!

Tecmo Koei had a 300 per cent increase in profit for the December quarter. TK's one of the least risky publishers right now.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

83. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Well most peoople don't mind using the lite versions. That and a lot of these kids already with IOS devices and can use those apps on the iPad as well.

My cousin has an iPhone 4S, and she uses it for texting and calls, just like a regular phone. The lite versions of the apps suck, unless you're easily ammused. Even the paid apps suck alot of the time. I would rather get a Microsoft Surface since it can basically function as a regular PC. It's a hell of a lot more expensive, but at least ot has actual software. Not to mention USB ports, and an actually good OS. Once iPad runs Mtn. Lion, I'll go get one. Or if they still keep it looking the way it is with app channels, but have actual software instead of apps.

No doubt my next computer is probably going to be the HP Envy X2 or the next gen Surface Pro. (My name a aside I'm probably a Microsoft fanboy)

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

84. Posted:

@Sony_70 But what separates the iDevices from Orbis and Durango is that the iDevices are a portable general computing devices for everyday use while the consoles are primarily entertainment devices stuck to your home.

And the more likely reasons why the Wii U had sold under expectations is because of the lack of games, misinterpretation of the high price tag, and the fact that it resembles a Wii too much.

The subsidy plan sounds interesting, but let's see how Microsoft can justify its Xbox LIVE subscription costs in the near future.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

85. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Well most peoople don't mind using the lite versions. That and a lot of these kids already with IOS devices and can use those apps on the iPad as well.

My cousin has an iPhone 4S, and she uses it for texting and calls, just like a regular phone. The lite versions of the apps suck, unless you're easily ammused. Even the paid apps suck alot of the time. I would rather get a Microsoft Surface since it can basically function as a regular PC. It's a hell of a lot more expensive, but at least ot has actual software. Not to mention USB ports, and an actually good OS. Once iPad runs Mtn. Lion, I'll go get one. Or if they still keep it looking the way it is with app channels, but have actual software instead of apps.

No doubt my next computer is probably going to be the HP Envy X2 or the next gen Surface Pro. (My name a aside I'm probably a Microsoft fanboy)

I'm actually looking into a Tablet PC right now, but it will probably take me a few months to save for one. All in one devices are hitting it big. There's pretty much no way to not be able to play all your media on any device nowadays. The Windows based tablets beat iPad and Android, even with over 300,000 apps, with only 100 being actually good IMO.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

86. Posted:

Yeah I'll provably be getting a new laptop in April/May. Instead of a tradtional laptop rather get a Hybrid instead. You get all of the standard windows kappa plus the made for Metro windows 8 apps.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

87. Posted:

@OT Nope. Everyone will be on an even level once the next-gen comes out. Right now, Wii U is too new, and people are already half-way/almost done with most projects on last-gen.

I also love how this topic doesn't answer the question anymore.

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shrapmo

88. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Or kids will ask for the 720 get away and get it due to parents not caring about the expensive ($400-$500) price or getting it on cheaper subsidise plan.

You guys use the expensive argument which is sort of outdated when you have kids gets iPads for Christmas which are around the same price the 720/PS4 will probably be at launch.

We use the expensive argument because price flipping matters you dolt! God! Not everyone is a blind mindless consumer, many are savvy and informer'd consumers.

Here is a new petition to get Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengence on the Wii U!!!
http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-platinum-games-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-for-the-nintendo-wii-u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

89. Posted:

I know quote a few consumers who would gladly take a Xbox cable box replacement for their current cable boxes. If I were to renew my Xfinty and instead of getting a cable box alongside my game console just have one box under my Television.

Many people would pay for that convience and people would rationalize the $200 with $15 a month or cables fee depending on how Xbox live is changed to reflect with play station +

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

90. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Tecmo Koei had a 300 per cent increase in profit for the December quarter. TK's one of the least risky publishers right now.

Sounds like an even better acquisition then! Imagine Warriors being Nintendo exclusive. How awesome would that be?

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

91. Posted:

To those of you saying many parents will just toss away $500+ for a new console, especially if they themselves aren't going to use it, I have to bring up the economy issue here. Think about it, the consoles were cheaper last generation, and a good number of people could afford them. Now the new ones will inevitably cost more (doesn't matter how much, they WILL cost more) then last time, and even less consumers will be able to afford them due to the weakened economy.

Now to add to another topic, I do believe that the Wii U is following in the 3DS's footsteps. Things are going slow now, but as soon as the true heavy hitters at last arrive (3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros. ect.) sales will pick up. Sure the Wii U has tougher road ahead considering all the 3DS had to content with was the Vita (which it soundly crushed into the ground) while it has to deal with two more powerful consoles, but the biggest weapon Nintendo has is it's IPs, and they have served them well so far, and will continue to do so.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

92. Posted:

Well that's assuming consoles are $500. Most rumors are putting them in the ball park of $399 on the low end with at least Microsoft and its partners selling the console for $99-$199 on a two year contract.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

scrubbyscum999

93. Posted:

Price matters, not everyone will spend a boatload of money on a box that is stuck to your home unlike the portable tablet. There is also the question of despite all in one products people are still willingly buying stuff separately. Other than the news cable is basically horrible but someone is still paying for it. Most people I know don't use the extra features on their cable box. The problem is how many people actually use all the features of a device and how many all in one devices you need. I use my iPhone for texting, calling, internet, and as an alarm to wake me up.

I don't even use it it to check my email, I still like the laptop for that. When it comes down to it people may realize these new consoles can do more, but they still see it as as a game console. They got a desktop/laptop and a tablet, for many that is enough. As for the kids thing, tablets can be used by everyone and is a more general device. Even if the parents can use the Xbox would they honestly feel compelled to when they already have other devices?

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

94. Posted:

I, for one, have not and still am not interested in getting rid of my traditional cable. I do use my 360's HBOGO app and sometimes the XFINITY app to watch shows, but I'm subject to the whimsy of the reliability of both services- especially the XFINITY app. No word of a lie, I haven't been able to watch anything on my XFINITY 360 app all weekend because of error messages. It's frustrating.

Also, what do most sports fans do without a basic cable plan? I'm asking that as a honest question, by the way lol I understand that there are ESPN apps that let you watch some live games, and I have poked around there a bit, but it seems to be a metric boat load of soccer and rugby (which apparently is the new coolest hipster thing to watch in America lol). I'm a huge NFL fan and I have yet to find a way to watch games live without a good ol' cable subscription. Also, without a cable subscription, you have to wait to watch your shows on Netflix/Hulu Plus/cable provider app until they have already aired... usually at least 24 hours, often a bit longer. I'd rather be able to watch a show when it's live.

I don't know. I'm a hold out on some of this stuff. I have yet to buy a Kindle/Nook/Cranny/whateverelsetheyhavethesedays- I'd prefer to just read a gosh darned book. Same with gaming. I'd rather Nintendo just focus on making their awesome games- not how many Netflix/Amazon/Hulu-type apps they can load us down with.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

95. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

I, for one, have not and still am not interested in getting rid of my traditional cable. I do use my 360's HBOGO app and sometimes the XFINITY app to watch shows, but I'm subject to the whimsy of the reliability of both services- especially the XFINITY app. No word of a lie, I haven't been able to watch anything on my XFINITY 360 app all weekend because of error messages. It's frustrating.

Also, what do most sports fans do without a basic cable plan? I'm asking that as a honest question, by the way lol I understand that there are ESPN apps that let you watch some live games, and I have poked around there a bit, but it seems to be a metric boat load of soccer and rugby (which apparently is the new coolest hipster thing to watch in America lol). I'm a huge NFL fan and I have yet to find a way to watch games live without a good ol' cable subscription. Also, without a cable subscription, you have to wait to watch your shows on Netflix/Hulu Plus/cable provider app until they have already aired... usually at least 24 hours, often a bit longer. I'd rather be able to watch a show when it's live.

I don't know. I'm a hold out on some of this stuff. I have yet to buy a Kindle/Nook/Cranny/whateverelsetheyhavethesedays- I'd prefer to just read a gosh darned book. Same with gaming. I'd rather Nintendo just focus on making their awesome games- not how many Netflix/Amazon/Hulu-type apps they can load us down with.

The difference is that Nintendo lacks the capacity to do that stuff anyway. Sony and Microsoft have preexisting partnerships with content providers (or own them themselves), and so can provide these services with minimal challenge. For Nintendo to build up those kinds of relationships could take months or years, and cost Nintendo a lot of money in the process.

I rather wish they would have stuck with the news channel though. I really enjoyed that on the Wii.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

scrubbyscum999

96. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

I, for one, have not and still am not interested in getting rid of my traditional cable. I do use my 360's HBOGO app and sometimes the XFINITY app to watch shows, but I'm subject to the whimsy of the reliability of both services- especially the XFINITY app. No word of a lie, I haven't been able to watch anything on my XFINITY 360 app all weekend because of error messages. It's frustrating.

Also, what do most sports fans do without a basic cable plan? I'm asking that as a honest question, by the way lol I understand that there are ESPN apps that let you watch some live games, and I have poked around there a bit, but it seems to be a metric boat load of soccer and rugby (which apparently is the new coolest hipster thing to watch in America lol). I'm a huge NFL fan and I have yet to find a way to watch games live without a good ol' cable subscription. Also, without a cable subscription, you have to wait to watch your shows on Netflix/Hulu Plus/cable provider app until they have already aired... usually at least 24 hours, often a bit longer. I'd rather be able to watch a show when it's live.

I don't know. I'm a hold out on some of this stuff. I have yet to buy a Kindle/Nook/Cranny/whateverelsetheyhavethesedays- I'd prefer to just read a gosh darned book. Same with gaming. I'd rather Nintendo just focus on making their awesome games- not how many Netflix/Amazon/Hulu-type apps they can load us down with.

The difference is that Nintendo lacks the capacity to do that stuff anyway. Sony and Microsoft have preexisting partnerships with content providers (or own them themselves), and so can provide these services with minimal challenge. For Nintendo to build up those kinds of relationships could take months or years, and cost Nintendo a lot of money in the process.

I rather wish they would have stuck with the news channel though. I really enjoyed that on the Wii.

You thought the News channel was good? W. T. F. That thing was mediocre at best. Rather read the Washington Post, New York Times, and basically any other easily accessible news site free or paid. In fact, this sort of proves my point. Do we really need another way to look at the news? We got the good ole' computer and apps on smartphones along with normal internet. Do you really need that on your game system?

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

97. Posted:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

Bankai wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

I, for one, have not and still am not interested in getting rid of my traditional cable. I do use my 360's HBOGO app and sometimes the XFINITY app to watch shows, but I'm subject to the whimsy of the reliability of both services- especially the XFINITY app. No word of a lie, I haven't been able to watch anything on my XFINITY 360 app all weekend because of error messages. It's frustrating.

Also, what do most sports fans do without a basic cable plan? I'm asking that as a honest question, by the way lol I understand that there are ESPN apps that let you watch some live games, and I have poked around there a bit, but it seems to be a metric boat load of soccer and rugby (which apparently is the new coolest hipster thing to watch in America lol). I'm a huge NFL fan and I have yet to find a way to watch games live without a good ol' cable subscription. Also, without a cable subscription, you have to wait to watch your shows on Netflix/Hulu Plus/cable provider app until they have already aired... usually at least 24 hours, often a bit longer. I'd rather be able to watch a show when it's live.

I don't know. I'm a hold out on some of this stuff. I have yet to buy a Kindle/Nook/Cranny/whateverelsetheyhavethesedays- I'd prefer to just read a gosh darned book. Same with gaming. I'd rather Nintendo just focus on making their awesome games- not how many Netflix/Amazon/Hulu-type apps they can load us down with.

The difference is that Nintendo lacks the capacity to do that stuff anyway. Sony and Microsoft have preexisting partnerships with content providers (or own them themselves), and so can provide these services with minimal challenge. For Nintendo to build up those kinds of relationships could take months or years, and cost Nintendo a lot of money in the process.

I rather wish they would have stuck with the news channel though. I really enjoyed that on the Wii.

You thought the News channel was good? W. T. F. That thing was mediocre at best. Rather read the Washington Post, New York Times, and basically any other easily accessible news site free or paid. In fact, this sort of proves my point. Do we really need another way to look at the news? We got the good ole' computer and apps on smartphones along with normal internet. Do you really need that on your game system?

The experience of reading the news on the TV was fun, and I liked the globe interface. Whenever I had my Wii on I was in the habit of checking the news for the heck of it.

For my serious news consumption I have an iPad and Al Jazeera, yes, but the Wii offered a quick, engaging way to catch up when I got home.

It seems there are people that still don't understand the concept of a "nice to have" and how enough "nice to haves" help build the experience of using a product. :-/

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

98. Posted:

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the fact that gaming consoles are judged by what other services they carry, seemingly more then the games and game quality they were originally made for these days? To go back to a time when consoles were only for games and not full of extra things to worry about...

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

99. Posted:

JogurtTheYogurt wrote:

is anyone questioning the future of the wii u ??

If not, then we can lock this thread

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

100. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the fact that gaming consoles are judged by what other services they carry, seemingly more then the games and game quality they were originally made for these days? To go back to a time when consoles were only for games and not full of extra things to worry about...

Gaming as a medium has to grow substantially to appeal to a worldwide consumer, and with that, having multimedia features that place other devices obsolete (DVD players, TVs, MP3 players, newspapers), is the key objective for companies.

Convenience is what people of today desire.

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury