Forums

Topic: anyone sticking with wii u for mostly next gen?

Posts 181 to 200 of 248

rolLTheDice

Quite possibly. I plan on getting a PS3 soon though. Depending on how much fun i have with it i might get a PS4 or Xbox One shortly before or after the next next gen comes along.

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

moomoo

@JaxonH You do realize the cheapest Steam machine is $500, right? That, and it's barely more powerful than the other systems, has basically no multimedia capabilities, and is being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines.

That's without mentioning the need to add more to it later on due to advancing hardware, or that if you have the cheap machine, you'll be at a disadvantage when facing others online, since they'll have better machines.

Just know what you're getting into.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

JaxonH

moomoo wrote:

@JaxonH You do realize the cheapest Steam machine is $500, right? That, and it's barely more powerful than the other systems, has basically no multimedia capabilities, and is being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines.

That's without mentioning the need to add more to it later on due to advancing hardware, or that if you have the cheap machine, you'll be at a disadvantage when facing others online, since they'll have better machines.

I did hear about the $500 one coming out, but I've heard there's also going to be a $400 option as well. Multimedia? Don't need it. I buy gaming machines to play games, that's it. I have 5 bluray players, don't need another one.

You say it's being made by a company not known for producing quality machines, but actually, Valve isn't known for producing ANY machines.But the Steam Machines aren't being made by Valve. There will be multiple versions by many different companies. And "barely more powerful" isn't a bad thing. That's a good thing. It's right on par with what I've got now, so it's not like it's a step backwards. And it's not like you upgrade a PS4, so I see no reason to upgrade a Steam Machine. Sure, you COULD if you wanted, but that's not required. PS4 will have the same exact power for the next 10 years. And people are ok with that. So am I. Which is why I have no intentions of upgrading anything. How it comes is how it will stay.

And there is no "disadvantage" online... I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Better machines will just yield better graphics. But the games are the same, and play the same. A few extra frames a second isn't giving anyone an advantage. It'll just look a tad smoother, if it's even noticeable at all.

The way I see it, Steam Machine can do everything PS4 can do that I care about (again, multimedia is pointless to me, all that Facebook integration and Music Unlimited stuff is just an aggravation that I wish would go away), and I won't have to pay $400 for online gaming over the course of this generation. Downside is I'm not a fan of that new controller. That could be a deal-breaker for me. But again, if all games will work with a synced Xbox or Playstation controller, I think it's a done deal.That and I'll need to be 100% sure that Witcher 3, Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3 will be available. If they're not, I'll definitely be keeping the PS4 no questions asked.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tasuki

I honestly dont seen the big deal of a steam machine. Most PC and laptops can be hooked up to a TV using an HDMI cable.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

MikeLove

Who is going to buy these Steam machines?? What is the market??

Most console gamers are going to stick with their PS4's and Xbox Ones because they aren't interested in constantly updating their hardware, while PC gamers are going to stick to their PC's because they like the customization they provide and want to be able to stay on the cutting edge of tech.

Steamboxes will be too "advanced" for the average console gamer, and too inferior for the PC crowd.

MikeLove

rallydefault

Tasuki wrote:

I honestly dont seen the big deal of a steam machine. Most PC and laptops can be hooked up to a TV using an HDMI cable.

Yea, I really have to agree with you on that. Most PC gamers have already been wiring their rigs into HDTVs for years, which leads me to believe that Valve may have misread the market. As others have said, most console gamers won't want to pay so much money for marginal increases in tech, and nearly all PC gamers (myself included) literally laugh at this whole Steambox thing - these machines literally do nothing that most of us haven't already set up in our homes.

I respect the heck out of Valve - they're up there along with Blizzard as far as quality developers go, in my opinion, but I'm honestly afraid to see what's gonna happen next with these things. If they somehow succeed, well then that's awesome! More power to them and more power and options for the gamers. But if this venture tanks, I sincerely hope it doesn't damage the company or their ability to put out great content in the future (TF2, DoTA2, LFD, CS, etc.)

rallydefault

Tasuki

@rallydefault: I dont think these "steam machines" wont hurt Valve. It seems to me that these are PC companies that are making these things to be able to get into the console market. But the problem is as you say they are going about it the wrong way. Console gamers are happy with consoles and PC gamers will just look at these things and laugh. If anything these things will benefit Valve cause it will introduce more players to Steam (which is the goal of the whole thing) but right now they seem to be doing just fine with out the console market.

If anything it would be nice for Valve to come out with a Valve app on the console systems.

My Backlog

DefHalan

moomoo wrote:

But what you do get is a huge library of hundreds or thousands of games and free online. Plus because Steam Machines are upgradable you don't have to buy a whole new machine when a new game comes out (if the new game can't run on your current system)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

MikeLove

DefHalan wrote:

moomoo wrote:

But what you do get is a huge library of hundreds or thousands of games and free online. Plus because Steam Machines are upgradable you don't have to buy a whole new machine when a new game comes out (if the new game can't run on your current system)

You just described a PC.

MikeLove

Reala

Might get a steam machine to go with my 3DS not sure yet, want to see how the steam machines pan out a bit first, as for wii u not interested in that or a PS4 and xbone right now, pretty sure the wii u is a lame duck at this stage but still when it gets a new zelda and X arrives I might get it all the same, can't imagine I'd get an xbone the media functions sound neat but I don't think I really need all that; not at that price anyway, PS4 I'll check back with that one when it has some of its big games available to buy; so that one might be a maybe later on.

Reala

moomoo

@JaxonH When I mentioned the whole, "being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines" thing, I wasn't talking about Valve. I was talking about iBuyPower, one of the many companies partenering with Valve to make a Steam machine, who I haven't heard a bunch of great things about, like putting sub-par parts in.

Looking at what it gives you, though, the lower end models seem to give you a good deal. Just wait for others to test the waters first. The higher end ones seem like a rip off, though.

Oh, and Witcher 3 will definitely be on PC, and it'll probably be best there too. I wouldn't put your hopes up for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, though. Considering how the only Final Fantasy on PC is 7, I doubt you'll see it on a PC anytime soon.

I'm kind of surprised you'd not want to pay for online, though, considering it's PS Plus. Maybe that's just me.

Best thread ever

DefHalan

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Who is going to buy these Steam machines?? What is the market??

Most console gamers are going to stick with their PS4's and Xbox Ones because they aren't interested in constantly updating their hardware, while PC gamers are going to stick to their PC's because they like the customization they provide and want to be able to stay on the cutting edge of tech.

Steamboxes will be too "advanced" for the average console gamer, and too inferior for the PC crowd.

I think the big draw are for the inbetweeners. The people that have consoles but want more out of them, but PCs are to intimidating. With the huge library of Steam games it will be hard for people to ignore Steam Machines. PC gamers may not be interested in Steam Machines but I totally see how it is targeting Console gamers. Saying Console gamers are going to stick with the consoles they already have doesn't make sense or else PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U wouldn't be selling

DefHalan

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

moomoo wrote:

You just described a PC.

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

MikeLove

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

MikeLove

JaxonH

moomoo wrote:

@JaxonH When I mentioned the whole, "being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines" thing, I wasn't talking about Valve. I was talking about iBuyPower, one of the many companies partenering with Valve to make a Steam machine, who I haven't heard a bunch of great things about, like putting sub-par parts in.

Looking at what it gives you, though, the lower end models seem to give you a good deal. Just wait for others to test the waters first. The higher end ones seem like a rip off, though.

Oh, and Witcher 3 will definitely be on PC, and it'll probably be best there too. I wouldn't put your hopes up for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, though. Considering how the only Final Fantasy on PC is 7, I doubt you'll see it on a PC anytime soon.

I'm kind of surprised you'd not want to pay for online, though, considering it's PS Plus. Maybe that's just me.

Ok gotchya.

As for PS+, it doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I don't like the idea of rented games- I buy everything I'm even remotely interested in (and usually by pre order too). If I could keep the games forever without the knowledge that as soon as I stop making payments, I lose the games, then I'd probably be all over it. I'm not knocking others who enjoy it, cause I totally understand not everyone thinks like I do. But that's how I feel about it- I don't like leasing cars or making payments- I buy for cash. I don't like paying apartment rent- I'd rather own a house. And I don't like renting games. I'd rather buy the ones I want.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tasuki

moomoo wrote:

The last two PCs I had were from iBuyPower plus a laptop, best computer I have had and I had an Alienware too (which was the biggest piece of poo I have had PC wise).

My Backlog

JaxonH

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

I'm a console gamer and I'm VERY much interested in the Steam Machine. You wanted to know why a console gamer would choose Steam Machine? Well, allow me to share why I want one. Reason is simple- I don't want to pay for online. Nintendo and PC both have free online, while Sony and MS charge for it. Steam Machines take most of the complexity out of the equation, because the consumer does not need to build a rig. They buy one already manufactured with set standards, just like a console. For all intents and purposes, it IS a console, with upgradeable parts. But just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE TO. PS4 will maintain it's specs for the following decade. So buying a Steam Machine and leaving it untouched would be no different. It's rather simple actually. Buy Steam Machine. Buy games. Play games. In 5-10 years, buy a new console, OR, pay to upgrade (if you want to and know how). I'm not planning to upgrade though. I'm planning to buy one and treat it just like a console. I'll buy games and play them with a controller. And I'll save $400 in online subscription fees, not to mention I'll have a machine that CAN be upgraded if I ever so desire.

Steam Machines, I believe, are more aimed at console gamers than PC gamers. With that said, I've spoken to quite a few PC gamers that are interested in the $500 model. Apparently they're pretty impressed. But I think you'll find there are quite a few console gamers such as myself, that aren't willing to pay online subscription fees when there's a perfectly good alternative with free online in the same price range.

moomoo

@Tasuki Good thing yours is working well. One of my friends had a pretty bad experience a year back with that brand.
@JaxonH All right, I see where you're coming from.

Oh, a quick question for anyone that may know: what is Valve doing with these machines besides plopping their name on the box?

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever

Tasuki

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Yep that's exactly as I see it too. I mean Ouya isn't a bad console its just people who play those kind of games like them on tablets and phones not big screen TVs.

My Backlog

Tasuki

JaxonH wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I'm a console gamer and I'm VERY much interested in the Steam Machine. You wanted to know why a console gamer would choose Steam Machine? Well, allow me to share why I want one. Reason is simple- I don't want to pay for online. Nintendo and PC both have free online, while Sony and MS charge for it. Steam Machines take most of the complexity out of the equation, because the consumer does not need to build a rig. They buy one already manufactured with set standards, just like a console. For all intents and purposes, it IS a console, with upgradeable parts. But just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE TO. PS4 will maintain it's specs for the following decade. So buying a Steam Machine and leaving it untouched would be no different. It's rather simple actually. Buy Steam Machine. Buy games. Play games. In 5-10 years, buy a new console, OR, pay to upgrade (if you want to and know how). I'm not planning to upgrade though. I'm planning to buy one and treat it just like a console. I'll buy games and play them with a controller. And I'll save $400 in online subscription fees, not to mention I'll have a machine that CAN be upgraded if I ever so desire.

Steam Machines, I believe, are more aimed at console gamers than PC gamers. With that said, I've spoken to quite a few PC gamers that are interested in the $500 model. Apparently they're pretty impressed. But I think you'll find there are quite a few console gamers such as myself, that aren't willing to pay online subscription fees when there's a perfectly good alternative with free online in the same price range.

Again you just described a PC.

My Backlog

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.