Forums

Topic: anyone sticking with wii u for mostly next gen?

Posts 201 to 220 of 263

rallydefault

Tasuki wrote:

I honestly dont seen the big deal of a steam machine. Most PC and laptops can be hooked up to a TV using an HDMI cable.

Yea, I really have to agree with you on that. Most PC gamers have already been wiring their rigs into HDTVs for years, which leads me to believe that Valve may have misread the market. As others have said, most console gamers won't want to pay so much money for marginal increases in tech, and nearly all PC gamers (myself included) literally laugh at this whole Steambox thing - these machines literally do nothing that most of us haven't already set up in our homes.

I respect the heck out of Valve - they're up there along with Blizzard as far as quality developers go, in my opinion, but I'm honestly afraid to see what's gonna happen next with these things. If they somehow succeed, well then that's awesome! More power to them and more power and options for the gamers. But if this venture tanks, I sincerely hope it doesn't damage the company or their ability to put out great content in the future (TF2, DoTA2, LFD, CS, etc.)

rallydefault

Tasuki

@rallydefault: I dont think these "steam machines" wont hurt Valve. It seems to me that these are PC companies that are making these things to be able to get into the console market. But the problem is as you say they are going about it the wrong way. Console gamers are happy with consoles and PC gamers will just look at these things and laugh. If anything these things will benefit Valve cause it will introduce more players to Steam (which is the goal of the whole thing) but right now they seem to be doing just fine with out the console market.

If anything it would be nice for Valve to come out with a Valve app on the console systems.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

DefHalan

moomoo wrote:

@JaxonH You do realize the cheapest Steam machine is $500, right? That, and it's barely more powerful than the other systems, has basically no multimedia capabilities, and is being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines.

That's without mentioning the need to add more to it later on due to advancing hardware, or that if you have the cheap machine, you'll be at a disadvantage when facing others online, since they'll have better machines.

Just know what you're getting into.

But what you do get is a huge library of hundreds or thousands of games and free online. Plus because Steam Machines are upgradable you don't have to buy a whole new machine when a new game comes out (if the new game can't run on your current system)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

MikeLove

DefHalan wrote:

moomoo wrote:

@JaxonH You do realize the cheapest Steam machine is $500, right? That, and it's barely more powerful than the other systems, has basically no multimedia capabilities, and is being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines.

That's without mentioning the need to add more to it later on due to advancing hardware, or that if you have the cheap machine, you'll be at a disadvantage when facing others online, since they'll have better machines.

Just know what you're getting into.

But what you do get is a huge library of hundreds or thousands of games and free online. Plus because Steam Machines are upgradable you don't have to buy a whole new machine when a new game comes out (if the new game can't run on your current system)

You just described a PC.

MikeLove

Reala

Might get a steam machine to go with my 3DS not sure yet, want to see how the steam machines pan out a bit first, as for wii u not interested in that or a PS4 and xbone right now, pretty sure the wii u is a lame duck at this stage but still when it gets a new zelda and X arrives I might get it all the same, can't imagine I'd get an xbone the media functions sound neat but I don't think I really need all that; not at that price anyway, PS4 I'll check back with that one when it has some of its big games available to buy; so that one might be a maybe later on.

Reala

moomoo

@JaxonH When I mentioned the whole, "being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines" thing, I wasn't talking about Valve. I was talking about iBuyPower, one of the many companies partenering with Valve to make a Steam machine, who I haven't heard a bunch of great things about, like putting sub-par parts in.

Looking at what it gives you, though, the lower end models seem to give you a good deal. Just wait for others to test the waters first. The higher end ones seem like a rip off, though.

Oh, and Witcher 3 will definitely be on PC, and it'll probably be best there too. I wouldn't put your hopes up for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, though. Considering how the only Final Fantasy on PC is 7, I doubt you'll see it on a PC anytime soon.

I'm kind of surprised you'd not want to pay for online, though, considering it's PS Plus. Maybe that's just me.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

DefHalan

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

Who is going to buy these Steam machines?? What is the market??

Most console gamers are going to stick with their PS4's and Xbox Ones because they aren't interested in constantly updating their hardware, while PC gamers are going to stick to their PC's because they like the customization they provide and want to be able to stay on the cutting edge of tech.

Steamboxes will be too "advanced" for the average console gamer, and too inferior for the PC crowd.

I think the big draw are for the inbetweeners. The people that have consoles but want more out of them, but PCs are to intimidating. With the huge library of Steam games it will be hard for people to ignore Steam Machines. PC gamers may not be interested in Steam Machines but I totally see how it is targeting Console gamers. Saying Console gamers are going to stick with the consoles they already have doesn't make sense or else PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U wouldn't be selling

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

moomoo wrote:

@JaxonH You do realize the cheapest Steam machine is $500, right? That, and it's barely more powerful than the other systems, has basically no multimedia capabilities, and is being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines.

That's without mentioning the need to add more to it later on due to advancing hardware, or that if you have the cheap machine, you'll be at a disadvantage when facing others online, since they'll have better machines.

Just know what you're getting into.

But what you do get is a huge library of hundreds or thousands of games and free online. Plus because Steam Machines are upgradable you don't have to buy a whole new machine when a new game comes out (if the new game can't run on your current system)

You just described a PC.

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

MikeLove

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

MikeLove

JaxonH

moomoo wrote:

@JaxonH When I mentioned the whole, "being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines" thing, I wasn't talking about Valve. I was talking about iBuyPower, one of the many companies partenering with Valve to make a Steam machine, who I haven't heard a bunch of great things about, like putting sub-par parts in.

Looking at what it gives you, though, the lower end models seem to give you a good deal. Just wait for others to test the waters first. The higher end ones seem like a rip off, though.

Oh, and Witcher 3 will definitely be on PC, and it'll probably be best there too. I wouldn't put your hopes up for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts, though. Considering how the only Final Fantasy on PC is 7, I doubt you'll see it on a PC anytime soon.

I'm kind of surprised you'd not want to pay for online, though, considering it's PS Plus. Maybe that's just me.

Ok gotchya.

As for PS+, it doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I don't like the idea of rented games- I buy everything I'm even remotely interested in (and usually by pre order too). If I could keep the games forever without the knowledge that as soon as I stop making payments, I lose the games, then I'd probably be all over it. I'm not knocking others who enjoy it, cause I totally understand not everyone thinks like I do. But that's how I feel about it- I don't like leasing cars or making payments- I buy for cash. I don't like paying apartment rent- I'd rather own a house. And I don't like renting games. I'd rather buy the ones I want.

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Tasuki

moomoo wrote:

@JaxonH When I mentioned the whole, "being made by a company that isn't known for always producing quality machines" thing, I wasn't talking about Valve. I was talking about iBuyPower, one of the many companies partenering with Valve to make a Steam machine, who I haven't heard a bunch of great things about, like putting sub-par parts in.

The last two PCs I had were from iBuyPower plus a laptop, best computer I have had and I had an Alienware too (which was the biggest piece of poo I have had PC wise).

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JaxonH

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

I'm a console gamer and I'm VERY much interested in the Steam Machine. You wanted to know why a console gamer would choose Steam Machine? Well, allow me to share why I want one. Reason is simple- I don't want to pay for online. Nintendo and PC both have free online, while Sony and MS charge for it. Steam Machines take most of the complexity out of the equation, because the consumer does not need to build a rig. They buy one already manufactured with set standards, just like a console. For all intents and purposes, it IS a console, with upgradeable parts. But just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE TO. PS4 will maintain it's specs for the following decade. So buying a Steam Machine and leaving it untouched would be no different. It's rather simple actually. Buy Steam Machine. Buy games. Play games. In 5-10 years, buy a new console, OR, pay to upgrade (if you want to and know how). I'm not planning to upgrade though. I'm planning to buy one and treat it just like a console. I'll buy games and play them with a controller. And I'll save $400 in online subscription fees, not to mention I'll have a machine that CAN be upgraded if I ever so desire.

Steam Machines, I believe, are more aimed at console gamers than PC gamers. With that said, I've spoken to quite a few PC gamers that are interested in the $500 model. Apparently they're pretty impressed. But I think you'll find there are quite a few console gamers such as myself, that aren't willing to pay online subscription fees when there's a perfectly good alternative with free online in the same price range.

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

moomoo

@Tasuki Good thing yours is working well. One of my friends had a pretty bad experience a year back with that brand.
@JaxonH All right, I see where you're coming from.

Oh, a quick question for anyone that may know: what is Valve doing with these machines besides plopping their name on the box?

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Tasuki

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

Yep that's exactly as I see it too. I mean Ouya isn't a bad console its just people who play those kind of games like them on tablets and phones not big screen TVs.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

JaxonH wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

I'm a console gamer and I'm VERY much interested in the Steam Machine. You wanted to know why a console gamer would choose Steam Machine? Well, allow me to share why I want one. Reason is simple- I don't want to pay for online. Nintendo and PC both have free online, while Sony and MS charge for it. Steam Machines take most of the complexity out of the equation, because the consumer does not need to build a rig. They buy one already manufactured with set standards, just like a console. For all intents and purposes, it IS a console, with upgradeable parts. But just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE TO. PS4 will maintain it's specs for the following decade. So buying a Steam Machine and leaving it untouched would be no different. It's rather simple actually. Buy Steam Machine. Buy games. Play games. In 5-10 years, buy a new console, OR, pay to upgrade (if you want to and know how). I'm not planning to upgrade though. I'm planning to buy one and treat it just like a console. I'll buy games and play them with a controller. And I'll save $400 in online subscription fees, not to mention I'll have a machine that CAN be upgraded if I ever so desire.

Steam Machines, I believe, are more aimed at console gamers than PC gamers. With that said, I've spoken to quite a few PC gamers that are interested in the $500 model. Apparently they're pretty impressed. But I think you'll find there are quite a few console gamers such as myself, that aren't willing to pay online subscription fees when there's a perfectly good alternative with free online in the same price range.

Again you just described a PC.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JaxonH

moomoo wrote:

@Tasuki Good thing yours is working well. One of my friends had a pretty bad experience a year back with that brand.
@JaxonH All right, I see where you're coming from.

Oh, a quick question for anyone that may know: what is Valve doing with these machines besides plopping their name on the box?

Steam OS

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

moomoo

@Tasuki Isn't that the point? It's supposed to be a PC.
@JaxonH Isn't Steam's OS basically Linux? I'm confused...

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

DefHalan

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

As someone who recently necame a PC gamer, there is a draw for console gamers. PC actually has the most exclusives while getting plenty of 3rd Party titles and that is what is so great about Steam Machines, they are basically PCs that are easier for people to use and upgrade.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

JaxonH

Tasuki wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

I'm a console gamer and I'm VERY much interested in the Steam Machine. You wanted to know why a console gamer would choose Steam Machine? Well, allow me to share why I want one. Reason is simple- I don't want to pay for online. Nintendo and PC both have free online, while Sony and MS charge for it. Steam Machines take most of the complexity out of the equation, because the consumer does not need to build a rig. They buy one already manufactured with set standards, just like a console. For all intents and purposes, it IS a console, with upgradeable parts. But just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE TO. PS4 will maintain it's specs for the following decade. So buying a Steam Machine and leaving it untouched would be no different. It's rather simple actually. Buy Steam Machine. Buy games. Play games. In 5-10 years, buy a new console, OR, pay to upgrade (if you want to and know how). I'm not planning to upgrade though. I'm planning to buy one and treat it just like a console. I'll buy games and play them with a controller. And I'll save $400 in online subscription fees, not to mention I'll have a machine that CAN be upgraded if I ever so desire.

Steam Machines, I believe, are more aimed at console gamers than PC gamers. With that said, I've spoken to quite a few PC gamers that are interested in the $500 model. Apparently they're pretty impressed. But I think you'll find there are quite a few console gamers such as myself, that aren't willing to pay online subscription fees when there's a perfectly good alternative with free online in the same price range.

Again you just described a PC.

And your point is.....???

So what if I described a PC. You're trying to categorize something as "not viable" simply because it's a quote unquote PC. So it's a PC, so what? So it's a console, so what? Point is, it's a VIABLE OPTION TO PLAY THE SAME GAMES, and without the high barrier of entry of traditional PC's. They have the ease of use of a traditional console, and that's what attracts me. That's what will attract others. Being a "PC" or "console" is irrelevant. It's the ease of use that's important.

Now, as for exclusives- yes, I'll ALWAYS have a Nintendo console because of the exclusives, and because I love the unique hardware. But Sony and MS... eh, they don't really have much weight with exclusives over the PC. They have a couple good ones, but nothing like Nintendo, where literally every game on the console is a top-notch exclusive. Most people play Sony/MS for 3rd party games. In fact, that's all anyone talks about anymore it seems. 3rd party multiplats. My top 3 games for buying a PS4 are..... wait for it.....multiplats. So PS4 and Xbox have VERY little advantage over the Steam Machine right now. I'd say the ONLY thing going for them right now is familiarity and a good value for the money. But as far as games go, the advantage just isn't there. If it was, I wouldn't be looking into swapping out the ol' Playstation.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

SofaKing

Even if the Wii U has a community half the size of the PS4 or Xbone, I'll stick to my Wii U. I do plan on saving up and building a beefy gaming PC however and that will have the Steam on it. I don't need to buy a Steam Machine. They are pretty and a great alternative to the current gen out now but I can't justify that price if I can't custom build and pick what I want inside it. Anyways that's my pick. Now I need to start saving up.... Ugg money....

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic