Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 64

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

Ste

So at least here in the USA, we have the chance to use coins to get Mario Kart 64, Would anyone know if you can use Gamecube controllers for this game, and is there a way to find out what type of controller is needed for any wiiware or VC game whether it is on the wii or the wii u?
Thanks for any help you can share.

Feel free to add me and contact me
Darn you Nintendo, my backlog is already out of control and you are just making it worse with these new game announcements!!!!

Aldebaran

Lucky you have Club Nintendo in the US

As far as I know you can play N64 titles with Classic Controller or Game Cube Controller

Nintendo Network ID: Aldebaran20

brooks83

Yes you can play with GameCube controllers. I also believe that when you look at a game in the Wii shop it shows the compatible controllers for the game.

brooks83

Omega

When I'm not completely wrong: On the Wii you can play all Virtual Console games, without exception, with the Classic Controller and the Gamecube Controller.

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

Tasuki

If you have the older Wii models than yes you can use a GC controller on all VC games I believe. Now if you have a newer Wii or plan to play this on the Wii U in the Wii mode than no you can't use the GC controllers.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Bass_X0

Omega wrote:

When I'm not completely wrong: On the Wii you can play all Virtual Console games, without exception, with the Classic Controller and the Gamecube Controller.

I dislike using a Gamecube controller for SNES games since the placement of the buttons are awkward if they cannot be customised.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Whopper744

Bass_X0 wrote:

Omega wrote:

I dislike using a Gamecube controller for SNES games since the placement of the buttons are awkward if they cannot be customised.

Yeah I agree with this. If you are playing any SNES games but sure to use a classic controller. Donkey Kong Country is a fantastic game itself, but don't even try running and jumping at the same time on it if you are using a GC controller.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

Omega

True. The classic controller is designed a lot like the Super NES Controller so this would be the best choice for SNES games. But for some N64 games (like Sin & Punishment) I much rather prefer the GCN controller.

Ωɱɛɡɑ

Zeldalover

So what about the people who have the new reconfigured Wii model? They won't have much of an experience with the N64 games, since it removes GameCube backwards compatibility and controller support (so many are stuck with the Classic Controller / CC Pro option). Plus where would one acquire a GC controller nowadays even if you do have one of the older Wii models? I would like a big analog stick in the center so it feels like on my N64 which is much more comfortable.

Edited on by Zeldalover

Zeldalover

HawkeyeWii

I still want to see someone get 1st place on Banshee Board Walk on 150cc

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

RedYoshi999

Zeldalover wrote:

So what about the people who have the new reconfigured Wii model? They won't have much of an experience with the N64 games, since it removes GameCube backwards compatibility and controller support (so many are stuck with the Classic Controller / CC Pro option). Plus where would one acquire a GC controller nowadays even if you do have one of the older Wii models? I would like a big analog stick in the center so it feels like on my N64 which is much more comfortable.

Well, I always preferred using a classic controller pro over gamecube controllers for VC games anyway. I got all of mine from ebay but stores still sell 3rd party controllers branded for the Wii. Also, there are adapters available for you to use your original N64 controllers and plug them into the GCN controller ports if you so desire. I hope MK64 comes to Wii U VC soon, it would be awesome to use the Pro controller and the GamePad with custom controls!

RedYoshi999

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8576-2407 | Nintendo Network ID: RedYoshi999

MarceloKamui

do you know if we can play it on the wiiu using the wii classic controller pro?

Let's play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate!!! o/

Nintendo Network ID: marcelokamui

Coligion

Does anyone have any information on why the Moo Moo Farm bug was never addressed by Nintendo? In this Virtual Console release if you have three players racing in versus mode while playing Moo Moo Farm, the game will play in essentially a turbo-like mode--everything is crazy fast. It's really annoying and disappointing. Playing in one-player, two-player, or four-player modes on this level does not reproduce the bug, so it's specifically linked to Moo Moo Farm and three players only. in all my years of playing N64 Mario Kart, I have never come across anything like this. The bug in the VC version happens every time I play under those circumstances. I've tried re-downloading the title, but no change. I was hoping there was an update/fix, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited on by Coligion

Coligion

BearHunger

Coligion wrote:

In this Virtual Console release if you have three players racing in versus mode while playing Moo Moo Farm, the game will play in essentially a turbo-like mode--everything is crazy fast. It's really annoying and disappointing.

I thought it was awesome and hilarious.

I had no clue that glitch was restricted to three players on Moo Moo Farm on the Virtual Console release only. I experienced it purely by chance. I wonder what could have caused it.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Bass_X0

I want this on Wii U eshop.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

Rowan20XX

there was spam here, it's gone now

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Rowan20XX

Bass_X0

Actually, I'd prefer Mario Kart Wii on the Wii U eshop. Mario Kart 64 hasn't aged well IMO. But I would still download it.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.