Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,761 to 6,780 of 70,008

Grumblevolcano

Reggie will show up to the Game Awards with that Metroid pin and tease Cranky Kong Adventures for Switch!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Reggie will show up to the Game Awards with that Metroid pin and tease Cranky Kong Adventures for Switch!

HYPE!!!

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

WebHead

@Operative i will say either april or july imo.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

That's all they have for the whole first year? Not a whole lot of games on that list. I guess they're going for quality over quantity.

That's the first year of currently rumoured first and second party releases. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more games nobody knows about yet for the second half of the year. Animal Crossing for example. In any case, the first year of the Wii U looked like this:

November: New SMB U, Nintendo Land
December:
January:
February:
March:
April:
May:
June: New Super Luigi U, Game & Wario
July: Pikmin 3
August:
September:
October: Wind Waker HD

And the 3DS looked like this:

March: Nintendogs, Pilotwings, Steel Diver
April:
May:
June: Zelda: OoT 3D
July:
August:
September: Star Fox
October:
November: Super Mario 3D Land
December: Mario Kart 7
January:
February:

Fair to say that so far the lineup for the Switch is looking better.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

Emily Rogers wrote:

3D Mario + Zelda + Pokemon + Mario Kart + Splatoon + New IP + Retro Studios game + Pikmin 4

Don't really care for the Mario Kart and Splatoon ports, unless one comes bundles with the system, then I'll get it because there's not really a choice. Pokemon depends on what game it is. I originallly planned on picking up a 3DS for Sun/Moon, but I think I may hold off, wait and see what that Switch game is about, if it's something like Colosseum, count me in, one of the best Pokemon games, hands down.

3D Mario, need to see more, Galaxy 2 was also a 3D Mario, but it wasn't the game I would've bought an entire console for. Zelda gets a Wii U version, so the question is whether Zelda comes out first, or whether I buy a Switch first. Pikmin 4 is the only game that I'll get a system for day one, provided they show enough games to ensure that there's more coming in the future. Maybe I'll wait a couple of weeks. Also depends on what the new IP is and what Retro Studios is working on.

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Tropical Freeze was easily one of the best games on the Wii U. I would take a game like that over anything else anytime. IIRC, there were rumours that Retro is making something completely new though, maybe even a new IP, but I'm not sure on that one. They've been working on it since late 2013, so I hope those years pay off.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

MarcelRguez

@Whitewatermoose Could be anything. Liam Robertson has been hinting at a new Metroid game for a while now. There's also a rumor about MvC4 being Switch-exclusive, but I think they're clever enough not to believe that one.

Edit: here's the tweet. It's not being made by Retro.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Azooooz

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Now I'm looking less forward to the January Switch direct. Thanks a lot!

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Octane

@Azooooz Did anyone really expect Retro Studios to make another Metroid game? They were perfectly fine making a new DKC game, they pitched their own ideas for their upcoming game according to rumours and most of the staff that worked on Metroid Prime, no longer work at Retro Studios. They worked on this thing: https://www.recoregame.com/

Octane

Octane

To follow up on my previous comment; It's what Emily Rogers said earlier this year:

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/725840703452893185

Going back even further to last year, in a Gamnesia interview with Liam Robertson:

Liam Robertson wrote:

I don't actually know what the project is, exactly, but I know that it is something that Retro themselves pitched. … They came off of Tropical Freeze in very late 2013, I think it was, and they continued throughout 2014 pitching new projects. … And then they eventually pitched a project that went through, and NCL greenlit, and I assume that's what they're doing now—by all accounts, it is.

I don't think Retro wants to do [Metroid Prime 4]. … I'd be surprised if Retro themselves pitched [that]. I think they've had their fill of Metroid. … And if it is Metroid, then it will be something different—like maybe a 2D one, or something—different from Prime.

Source: https://www.gamnesia.com/podcasts/retro-studios-next-game-is-... (The rest of the interview is pretty interesting too, if you've got some time to waste)

Octane

Octane

@MarcelRguez I don't recall just three people leaving Retro, there were a lot more. It's no secret that Retro has been hiring people since 2007/2008 like crazy. Nintendoenthusiast made a similar report a while back.

Octane

TuVictus

As much as I would love Metroid prime 4, I think retro has earned a chance to work on something entirely their own. So I won't mind whatever they're working on

TuVictus

FragRed

@MumboJumbo I've heard of Constructor but I have no idea what it is or what it's about, but more third party support is always a good thing.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Henmii

As for the memory storage: I could really see them doing the Cloud-storage. Though I really hope there's also a different solution (Like the Switch having lots of memory-space, and that you can use pretty strong hard-discs and/or Memory-cards), since I really don't want to use Cloud-storage!!

Henmii

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan I really like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. 3D World was very good too, but Galaxy 2 was more of the same to me (but repacked in a cheaper game, without a neat HUB and stuff like that_. I would've preferred something completely new instead. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate the game or anything like that, I do like it, but I don't consider it a ''system seller'' personally. Difficult to say, since I already owned a Wii when the game came out, but you get my point. We've seen so little of the new Mario game, it's hard to tell whether that game is going to convince me to the Switch at launch or not.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@Octane I thought you were saying all former Retro staff went to Armature, my mistake.

@Whitewatermoose I could see Nintendo using Retro to make a more "mature" game for the Switch. I've been thinking about how GameCube tried to push a more adult-oriented catalog with games like Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX or even Geist. A title or two like that would do wonders to spice things up a bit.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

Obviously it's time for that StarTropics reboot.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MumboJumbo

@FragRed
I know people are getting sick and tired of hearing about remasters and remakes, but I think 20 years is a fair amount of time. The original game was released way back in 1997, so you have generations of gamers who have never heard about it, let alone have played it. I think Constructor is a title that deserves a HD remake, especially when the original dev team is on board.

It's a RTS/Sim hybrid that was enjoyable at the time, but it doesn't hold up particularly well today. It's the kind of game that works well on the PC, but can be frustrating to play on a traditional controller. We'll just have to wait and see if it can work on the Switch controller.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

FragRed

@MumboJumbo Sounds intriguing. Maybe this is something where the Switch touch screen when on the go and rumoured right joy con having motion controls could give it an advantage over the other consoles.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic