Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,201 to 6,220 of 31,669

MisterPi

AlternateButtons wrote:

Okay something that's been really bothering me is when people say the Switch cannot be sold for more than $300 or $400 or whatever have you otherwise it's DOA. Like really? What gives Sony the right to charge $400 bucks for a console and get cheers from a crowd but Nintendo for some reason can't?

What's that? It'll be less powerful than PS4 so it's not worth it and Sony is a better value? I'm sorry, are we forgetting the damn thing is portable? Can be taken anywhere? Even if it's slightly less powerful than XB1, that's one powerful handheld we're talking about. It might be possible to play Skyrim ANYWHERE.

Let me drive this point home. You can have a console experience ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. No more being tethered to a TV. So for people to say there's nothing special about the Nintendo Switch, investors especially, they're clearly not seeing the forest through the trees. Either they're vastly underestimating the potential of a portable home console experience or they just don't understand the concept at all. It's aggravating to no end. The potential in this thing is HUGE.

.....Let's just hope the battery life can sustain that potential. That I'm a bit worried about.

Because many people don't care about the portable aspect of it. To them, it'd be like paying $400 to use half a console when you can get a PS4 pro, guaranteed to be the most powerful gaming hardware for a while. Until Scorpio comes out. Plus, portable AAA games sounds nice in theory, but I think Nintendo overestimates people in the west wanting to play games like that on the go. But we'll see.

MisterPi

AlternateButtons

@Operative I understand the preference but that's just what it is. Preference. If they're not a fan of the portability, the Switch just isn't for them. And that's fine. If they want power and guaranteed third party games, then the PS4 is the console for them. But for them to outright deny any value in a portable home console based on their preference is just silly. This thing has an audience and I have a feeling it will sell very well.

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

MisterPi

@AlternateButtons at that point it becomes a question of just how many people have that preference? Ps4 is successful because it seems most dedicated gamers have a - preference- for powerful traditional gaming that can be done at home.

The switch will do okay enough. But I think it's way too early to tell if it'll be a resounding success or not.

MisterPi

TheMisterManGuy

Throughout the Wii and DS era, Nintendo began releasing many "lifestyle" games. These games include Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Personal Trainer, and some basic puzzle games like Picross, and Crosswords. These weren't so much traditional games, as they were extensions of everyday life for people who never really played games. These were great games, and helped lay the blueprints for the modern mobile market. But that's the problem, these kinds of software now thrive on mobile devices, where the new generation of non-gamers are. So much so that when Nintendo made sequels for the Wii U and 3DS in hopes that lightning would strike twice, they failed miserably.
This is why going forward, Nintendo can still make casual games, I'd argue that's one of their greatest strengths. But focus less on making lifestyle experiences, and instead create unique entertainment with universal appeal. Rhythm Heaven is a good example of where Nintendo should go with casual games. It feels like fun entertainment rather than some extension of life. Hell, I'd argue that they need to take inspiration from some of the business models of mobile in the future as well. Casual gamers don't want to pay $40-60 for games anymore. They rather have something they could get for either a couple dollars, or in other cases, free.
I always said Nintendo should just make games, for people who like games, and I stick by it. But casual games can be enjoyed by "core" gamers as well. I would argue Nintendo is better at making fun, and simple casual or bridge games than they are at trying to cultivate "hardcore" games, and that's a strength they need to hone for then next generation. Not that the occasional "hardcore" game isn't welcome.

TheMisterManGuy

Octane

AlternateButtons wrote:

@Operative I understand the preference but that's just what it is. Preference. If they're not a fan of the portability, the Switch just isn't for them. And that's fine. If they want power and guaranteed third party games, then the PS4 is the console for them. But for them to outright deny any value in a portable home console based on their preference is just silly. This thing has an audience and I have a feeling it will sell very well.

Power has nothing to do with it. It's games and marketing. Otherwise the PS2 wouldn't have sold 150 million units. I don't think many people care about the actual specs as long as it's the most affordable, has the most games or has the best marketing, or a combination of those.

The problem is, as soon as your console is limited in some way (architecture, less powerful or if it has a different control scheme), it'll be more difficult to develop for. Development takes more money and less games will be ported over. Less games means a console won't be as attractive and it won't sell as well. In turn, devs are even less interested in the system because of the smaller userbase. See Wii U.

Octane

AlternateButtons

@Octane Well then here's hoping that the Nvidia tech and the ability to support UE4 makes it easy for devs to port games over despite the weaker specs in comparison.

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

erv

Nintendo doesn't need to tell people that the switch is high tech.

They need to tell people how much they're away from the tv.

The anatomically awesome evello is bringing the fame and glory!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

rallydefault

erv wrote:

Nintendo doesn't need to tell people that the switch is high tech.

They need to tell people how much they're away from the tv.

Dang, man. PLEASE go do some marketing for them, because that's exactly it!

rallydefault

fascinatura

Honestly? I think the most important aspects as to whether the NS will sell well is actually just the general perception + price.

Why has the PS4 exploded the way it has? It sure as heck isn't the games library. Just think, "No Man's Sky, an indie game was the biggest game (in terms of hype) to come out this year on it and it ended up a massive disappointment because a lot of people imagined it to be a game that the developers never claimed it to be. But I think the main reason NSM got so much attention because there has been literally nothing else of major interest to come out on the system (that'll change with FFXV coming out soon).

Meanwhile, the Xbone has been churning out exclusives, and the Wii U has many great games on it. Does it matter? Nope. All it took for Sony to dominate was to undercut Microsoft on price and show off games that will be on the system. They've also advertised the PS4 alongside games like Destiny and Call of Duty. I've barely seen any marketing for the Xbox One, and I think it's because they simply can't catch up at this point. What I mean is, the initial PS4 hype has allowed Sony to keep up a strong marketing campaign - why else was Destiny marketed with Sony instead of Microsoft? Also big game reveals were made at Sony's E3 conference, like the FF7 remake.

But in the end, despite all the marketing collaborations Sony has been able to secure - the Xbox One has the same games on it and they're essentially the same.

And then there's the fact that Mario Kart and other big titles that boast amazing quality on the Wii U didn't do much to sell the system. Heck, even bundling several of these games with the system STILL didn't sell it.

So, I'm not so sure if it's about the games. It's about perception, which is a difficult thing to pin down and predict. So far, I think people are intrigued by the Switch, whereas when the Wii U was revealed a lot of people thought it looked stupid. The Wii U is actually a pretty good system and is capable of really nice graphics (I personally don't perceive much of a difference when I play PS4 and Wii U. I think Bayonetta 2 wouldn't look out of place on the PS4 even without upgrades). My point is...

I don't think the Wii U would've succeeded if it never had a software drought; if it got all the third party support; and it launched with a 3D Mario or a new Zelda.

People just didn't want the console. And in truth, the Wii U was a weird idea and was a difficult console to market.

The marketing message of the Nintendo Switch is thankfully simpler. It should also do well considering the fact that it functionally be Nintendo's next portable. Does it need big 3rd party AAA titles? Honestly, I'm not sure if those titles would sell on it if they do end up on the Switch, but they wouldn't hurt.

One thing I am fairly confident in the Switch is success in Japan. I think this thing will be HUGE in Japan. At some point, it could end up being the console with Pokemon, Monster Hunter, and Splatoon all on it. And in turn there are going to be a lot of niche Japanese titles that come to the system and a few of them will probably be localized.

fascinatura

Samurai_Goroh

In Japan, the Switch is going to be the successor of the Wii U, the 3DS AND the PS Vita! I think Japanese devs will queue to develop for it, I hope we get many titles localised here.

Samurai_Goroh

GrailUK

@Samurai_Goroh Agreed, and to expand on your positivity, western games are on an ascension over there with titles like Witcher 3 did respectable. The Switch could be a way in to breaking the Japanese market for western devs.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Monkey_Balls

Plundered from NeoGaf.

Charging/power cable for tablet confirmed (bottom right)?:
Untitled

Joy-Con release button?:
Untitled

Bottom of tablet (IR camera bottom right?):
Untitled

Better view of IR camera?
Untitled

Also, thanks to @Octane, @Nicolai and @skywake for responding to my posts about storage several pages back. Sorry I didn't reply; I've been busy.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Nicolai

@Monkey_Balls: Lol, who put Majora's Mask on the Switch? But anyway, there's definitely something there at the bottom of those Joy-con controllers, no doubt about that. And I can't think of a confirmed feature that requires anything there. So, at the very least, we can come to the conclusion that the joy-cons can do something else that Nintendo hasn't told us yet.

I rise from the ashes!
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

AlternateButtons

If this thing can support USB in the tablet, I'm good. Battery life isn't an issue when you can use portable power chargers. In that case, Nintendo COULD release their own portable power charger as an add on. Either way, that would extend battery life amazingly.

Monkey_Balls

@Nicolai Ha, I didn't even notice Majora's map on the tablet. I think the rest of the pic is legit though; just been brightened. It would be a smart move for Nintendo to include an IR pointer, and even smarter to not mention it in the reveal trailer. Using the Joy-Cons as a Remote/Nunchuk setup seems the natural thing to do really; however revealing it at this early stage would likely attract plenty of complaints and possibly cause confusion. I'm guessing (and hoping) the Switch has a few more secrets up its sleeve.

@AlternateButtons Judging from the pictures (and I know we can't see much), it looks like USB. Here's hoping, anyway.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

skywake

@Monkey_Balls
It just seems like an odd setup to me. Compare it to the WiiMote + Nunchuck. So your left Joycon has no IR sensor, two triggers, analogue stick and a directional pad. Which is a directional pad more than the Nunchuck had. That's fine.

But the right Joycon? Well the WiiMote in "pointer mode" had A/B readily accessible with a D-Pad and +/- buttons close by. Holding the right Joycon normally you have two triggers that could function as A/B. You have an analogue stick and A/B/X/Y which could kinda cover the rest. But the IR pointer isn't pointed at the TV. So you turn it around right? Well now you have the IR pointer and the analogue stick but nothing else.

I don't know. For a set of controllers that, as odd as they are, appear to have been well thought out? This seems like an odd decision. I can't help but think that it's something else.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

shaneoh wrote:

@Monkey_Balls
That guy on the right is wearing headphones around his neck, that's possibly what that cable is..

The headphone port is in the top. Anyways, of course this thing can be plugged in to charge.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

skywake wrote:

@Monkey_Balls
It just seems like an odd setup to me. Compare it to the WiiMote + Nunchuck. So your left Joycon has no IR sensor, two triggers, analogue stick and a directional pad. Which is a directional pad more than the Nunchuck had. That's fine.

But the right Joycon? Well the WiiMote in "pointer mode" had A/B readily accessible with a D-Pad and +/- buttons close by. Holding the right Joycon normally you have two triggers that could function as A/B. You have an analogue stick and A/B/X/Y which could kinda cover the rest. But the IR pointer isn't pointed at the TV. So you turn it around right? Well now you have the IR pointer and the analogue stick but nothing else.

I don't know. For a set of controllers that, as odd as they are, appear to have been well thought out? This seems like an odd decision. I can't help but think that it's something else.

I think you are supposed to use the shoulder buttons when using it as a pointer. And it should have r/l buttons, since that would map it very nicely to SNES games. SNES vc with multiplayer out of of the box could be a thing.

Therad

Therad

skywake wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

@Monkey_Balls
That guy on the right is wearing headphones around his neck, that's possibly what that cable is..

The headphone port is in the top. Anyways, of course this thing can be plugged in to charge.

Yes, but the cable doesn't seem to connect to the switch, it seems to just hang around his neck.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic