Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,201 to 6,220 of 69,952

kkslider5552000

I love how some people assumed "standard" = "max possible space". I guess I should go back to playing that standard sized Nintendo game, Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DefHalan

If max size of the Micro SD card is 128GB and games are running 64GB (even a select few) then I guess digital won't be pushed as much

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

@DefHalan
If 64GB cards are a thing they'll likely come further down the track and be for a couple of games. For example 8GB exists on the 3DS but I'm not sure that any games ever used or needed it. All the games shown in the trailer would be closer to 16GB. Especially if you're not pushing the textures as high as you are on PS4/XBOne/PC versions for games like Skyrim. I'd wager that all the games at launch are on 16GB cards or smaller.

For micro-SD card expansion? I don't know where that 128GB limit came about. I think again it's some kind of lost in translation sort of thing. Because in theory if a card reader supports more than 32GB it supports upto 2TB. But the first 256GB cards came out this year and 512GB capacities don't exist yet. I think the reason some internal documentation might say "upto 128GB" is because when it was written those were the biggest cards. And Nintendo wouldn't want developers to think people could have storage bigger than what might exist at launch.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@DefHalan @skywake
I'm pretty sure the "supports up to 128 GB" is just what it officially supports, like how the 3DS "officially" supports up to 32 GB. You can use higher capacity cards.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

DefHalan

@IceClimbers Yeah but I am having issues with my 64 GB card on my 3DS. Not sure if I want to deal with these issues again

skywake

@IceClimbers
The difference is there is a hard limit on SDHC officially because of the file system that spec uses. There's also a hard limit on SDXC but it's not 128GB. So it's not really the same thing.

erv

I'm hoping to be able to expand to at least 512 at some point. Would be a shame to lose a card somewhere.

And if I buy physical? I'm doomed to have the kids misplace games. Digital all the way

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan Surely this could be fixed just by Switch having a proper account system?

Something could go wrong with my XB1 or external hard drive and I would lose absolutely nothing. Redownloading everything would be a nuisance but the actual save data, DLC and games would be ready to download as soon as the console either got repaired or replaced.

Sure there's the portable nature of the Switch but if you have it that save data is uploaded to cloud servers whenever the Switch is connected to the internet then the issues are minimized.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano i am not worried about losing save data, so Nintendo's current account system works perfectly fine for me. They could improve it if they want, it doesn't really bother me either way. I just don't like the idea of such limited amount of space on my portable system, especially if they are trying to get games that will take up most of the space.

ZachTech

I don't know if this has been already asked or not but I'm interested in what people think: will the Switch save data to the game cards like on the 3DS or will it require internal storage like the Wii U?

I have a YouTube channel where I make videos about tech, video games, entertainment, and more! Check it out and subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyeBClUXS4h0fiY55MO-qsA

Twitter:

JaxonH

iKhan wrote:

but if the switch is Wii U powered, how can Nintendo make the system sound like a worthwhile purchase to anyone not interested in the mobile aspect?

Well, the mobile aspect is a huge draw, but I think the fact that the system plays games on TV, even if it's not technically as powerful as the other two home consoles, can still be a huge draw for people as long as the games look good enough, and pretty much anything beyond 7th graphics starts dabbling in that diminishing returns area, where unless the game showcases realism there's really no distinct advantage at all.

When it comes to people not interested in the mobile aspect, third-party multiplats won't really be a draw, even if Switch was just as powerful as other consoles, because people could just buy those games on the console they already own, so there's really no advantage to buying them on Switch (again, for people not interested in portability). But there's still the exclusives, and since you can't play those games anywhere else that's going to be a huge draw. And there's no law of physics that makes those exclusive games suddenly unenjoyable just because another console exists that's more powerful.

So, obviously the system is going to appeal more to people who are interested in the portability. But what people need to realize is that the portability can appeal to more than just people who like handhelds. Sure, a person may not be interested in gaming on the go, but that doesn't mean the person isnt interested in the flexibility it brings to the table in terms of playing around the house. Downstairs, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, in the bedroom, in the living room, on the porch, etc. and there were already tens of millions of people who enjoy handhelds- just think of how many more in addition to those people will be interested in the flexibility of playing anywhere in the house. And then finally you have people who aren't interested in either of those things, but they're still interested in playing the exclusive games on the TV (probably people who own other consoles) and people who are interested in playing all the games on the TV ( probably people who don't on other consoles).

No console is going to appeal to every single person in the world, but I think Switch will appeal to more people than a straight laced console alone would, or a straight laced handheld alone would.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

ZachTech wrote:

I don't know if this has been already asked or not but I'm interested in what people think: will the Switch save data to the game cards like on the 3DS or will it require internal storage like the Wii U?

Like the 3DS but with cloud saves. I'd imagine they'd want to keep the save alongside the game

FragRed

Looks like the Switch may have 4GB of RAM, double that of the Wii U but half that of current Xbox One and PS4. That's gonna cause massive porting problems

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/792616520308314112

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

@FragRed i think reality is that games like ME Andromeda and Cyberpunk 2077 and so on...well the system probably isnt going to recieve those games.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

FragRed

@WebHead Indeed I think this just proves that most third party games won't be coming to the Switch though we already knew Andromeda wasn't coming to the system.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

@FragRed yeah despite the partner listing i do not think long term third party support is high priority.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

FragRed

@WebHead And without third party support this thing is going to have lots of Wii U style draughts, regardless how many teams Nintendo may have to pump out first party games. I am expecting a big launch line up and then nothing significant until holidays for Nintendo's own games.

erv

If monster Hunter releases with breath of the wild, I'm probably settled for at least a year lol

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Peek-a-boo

DefHalan wrote:

Nintendo's current account system works perfectly fine for me.

It probably doesn't bother you, fine... but I fully expect Nintendo to move on and join everybody else into the 21ˢᵗ century and offer an account system like every single company on planet Earth does except for Nintendo, who choose to do everything the polar opposite of what every single company on planet Earth has done, and for almost the past decade too.

And 4GB of RAM is terrible news, especially for third party support.

The PlayStation 4 allows developers to use 5GB of RAM (or 5.5GB with the PlayStation 4 Pro).

The Nintendo Switch will probably require up to 1GB of RAM for the OS (both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 uses up to 2GB of RAM for the OS alone) thus 3GB or less for developers to use is... it's simply horrendous!

And 16GB cartridges too?!

I was really hoping that the Nintendo Switch would be able to keep up or be on par with the three year old Xbox One, but it doesn't even seem to be halfway there going by these recent tidbits.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

skywake

For a system of that spec that's not designed for multi-tasking? 4GB of RAM is fine. Especially if games are going to be designed to run at 720p. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this.

Remember, RAM is just there to hold content so that it can be accessed quickly by the CPU and GPU. More RAM doesn't automatically make something run faster. It's when you run out of RAM that a system can come grinding to a halt. But how fast it comes grinding to a halt depends on the speed of the other media. For the PS4/XBOne/Wii U that other media is often an optical disk. For the Switch it's going to be a cartridge.....

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic