Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,221 to 6,240 of 69,952

erv

Even better: built in flash storage probably. Which makes disc swapping mechanics actually workable...

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Azooooz

I say instead of "oh, let's believe the rumours and curse the console", how about we wait until 12th January next year to find out.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

TuVictus

Well, we have every reason to believe these rumors considering how spot on previous ones were. And ouch, I really, really, really, hope this thing can handle multi tasking. It was embarrassingly slow to open up miiverse or the eshop on either the wii u or the 3DS.

TuVictus

Peek-a-boo

Azooooz wrote:

I say instead of "oh, let's believe the rumours and curse the console", how about we wait until 12th January next year to find out.

But, where's the fun in that?!

And all these tidbits seem to be from folks who circulated what were once rumours about the NX, and are (mostly) right in what they had to say. I believe them if they were right before.

I believe that most people are now starting to realise that the Nintendo Switch isn't going to keep up with the Xbox One, let alone the PlayStation 4 and that's what appears to be seaming the threads of concern and disappointment (for some).

This is coming from someone who wants the Switch to be the biggest success story for Nintendo since the Wii.

Peek-a-boo

LzWinky

3DS "standard" cartridges were 2-4 GB and now they're 8 GB. I wouldn't take the 16 GB comment as a limit

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@Peek-a-boo

skywake wrote:

For a system of that spec that's not designed for multi-tasking? 4GB of RAM is fine. Especially if games are going to be designed to run at 720p. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this.

Remember, RAM is just there to hold content so that it can be accessed quickly by the CPU and GPU. More RAM doesn't automatically make something run faster. It's when you run out of RAM that a system can come grinding to a halt. But how fast it comes grinding to a halt depends on the speed of the other media. For the PS4/XBOne/Wii U that other media is often an optical disk. For the Switch it's going to be a cartridge.....

The issue is not as big as some make it out to be. I mean, I'd buy a "traditional" Nintendo home console over anything else, but that's not going to happen, so expectations need to be realistic. Nintendo isn't going to release a portable PS4 Pro. I'll get it as a second system for the Nintendo exclusives. Games will look better than on the Wii U and at least I'm not missing out on the handheld exclusives anymore.

Octane

TuVictus

It's a nice concept. Especially for Nintendo who won't have ti divide hardware teams. But as someone that just wants to use it as a home console, half the appeal is wasted on me, and I'll be paying premium for the whole thing.

I hope they release a home console only version in the future for cheaper.

TuVictus

FragRed

@BiasedSonyFan It is a good concept and the right one for Nintendo to do, but this thing needs to attract third party support as a going concern and if the hardware limits what they can port without spending too much resources in doing so, then they may simply stop supporting the console.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Therad

Console sales are more important than if it has 4 or 8 GB of RAM to attract third party. How about we wait until January to see how many are on board at the moment before we declare it dead?

Therad

veeflames

@Peek-a-boo The 16GB catridge sizes are standard, not maximum. Huge games or nothing, eh?
Christ.
@Therad Or we could wait until launch... Oh wait.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

shingi_70

I already have an Xbox as far as I want the switch for Nintendo games and hopefully good Japanese third party support like the ps4 has.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

IceClimbers

Peek-a-boo wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/79261652030831...

Emily Rogers - "I can confirm that Switch has 4GB of RAM in RETAIL units. Not just the dev kits."

So, that's 1GB for the OS and 3GB or less for games.

sighs

Nope. 3.2 for games, 0.8 for OS. For a portable (note: for hardware specs, the system must be treated as a portable as that's where the guts are, and is what they'll be constrained by) that's actually fairly good, and what was expected. Expecting anything more was unreasonable.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

Well the 3rd party situation will all depend on initial Switch sales so again it's down to whether Nintendo can gather enough interest in 1st party games like BotW.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

@BiasedSonyFan how isn't it? I highly doubt it'll be less than $300. The point being, people will be paying for the portable aspect whether they want it or not, instead of being able to just use it as a home console, which is what it allegedly is, and it would probably be cheaper if it was designed as such. $300 for hardware that doesn't even match the Xbox one. As a home console.

TuVictus

LzWinky

@Operative And Xbox fans are paying for what many call "an inferior PC"

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

IceClimbers

There's a Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix compilation game launching on PS4 in March. I wonder if that could come to Switch?

Haruki_NLI

@IceClimbers I doubt it. PS4 only atm. So despite KH3 coming to Xbone and rumoured for Switch, it looks unlikely.
So as someone on PushSquare would say...why are they even gettng it?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

IceClimbers

@BLP_Software Looking at the trailer, they only announced it for PS4, but didn't call it a PS4 exclusive. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a Switch port, but like you I doubt it'll happen.

And yeah, not sure why Xbox One is getting KH3. It's gonna flop hard on that platform.

TuVictus

@BiasedSonyFan not really my point, but okay. All I'm saying is, people are going to be paying for the portability. that's where most of its price will come from. If it was just a home console, it would be cheaper to make and cheaper to sell. Or at least more powerful.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic