Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,781 to 45,800 of 46,233

sixrings

@NintendoByNature I like 1 and x. 1s original and x has branching paths. 3 has good graphics but I swear the difficulty went dumb and I think the series went downhill after that. Some people love 3 though. Most I'm guessing will say X is the best.

sixrings

NintendoByNature

@sixrings great Thanks! Might be X then. I'll wait to see if a few more jump in and give me their opinion.

NintendoByNature

Cotillion

sixrings wrote:

part of my reasoning for wanting a larger spec console is so I can just go down to one console. I hate having so many things plugged into my tv.

If you want a more rounded, complete gaming experience, this just won't happen.
Want the most bleeding edge graphics you can possibly have - buy a PC, but then you miss out on console exclusives and portability.
Want pretty good graphics - buy an XboxOne X or PS4, but be tethered to your TV and miss out on the absolute best graphics and Nintendo exclusives (and the exclusives the other console, depending on which you get, most notably PS4 as Xbox shares a lot with PC).
Want a portable console that has Nintendo exclusives and gives a pretty good graphical experience - get a Switch, but miss out on great graphics, other console exclusives and games that won't run on it.

Typically, I don't find many people buy all four, but rather many seem to have at least two of the options for a well-rounded gaming experience. Personally, I have a Switch for games I want on the go, plus Nintendo exclusives and I have a PC for games I want the amazing visuals for and games that won't run on Switch (and for the kb/m controls for shooters).

Unless some of these merge, you're always going to be missing out on something or other by choosing only one.

Cotillion

NintendoByNature

Uhh.... just saw on the eshop that a hat in time Is a 16gb download. Ill prob go physical I guess.

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

With Celeste being nominated for GotY in the 2018 Game Awards, I wonder if Untitled Goose Game has a chance this year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Knuckles-Fajita

So I have a very odd but pervasive issue with the Switch Lite.

It's not save data sharing, or game sharing, or buttons, or analog sticks.

It's this damn screen.

Apparently the colour temperature is warmer, and this is also true of the revised Switch, meaning its actually more accurate than the original model I have, where the blues are more vibrant because the screen is "cooler" in colour.

But when I was playing Sonic Mania on my Lite, I got to the Puyo Puyo boss battle in Chemical Plant and....yikes. I cant see the difference between the Green and Yellow Puyo, or the Blue and Purple ones.

This isn't an issue on my TV (I have it colour adjusted slightly) nor is it an issue on the admittedly less accurate Switch OG screen, because it's cooler. But on Switch Lite, with its more accurate colour balance and temperature....means that any game without a colour blind mode is now harder to play for me than on my original Switch.

This is a very me issue, as I'm colour blind, but man, it's kinda rough.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

OorWullie

@JaxonH Cheers pal, you convinced me I need one so I went ahead and ordered it. It'll be here on Tuesday along with The Witcher 3 and I can't wait. Unfortunately I'm working late shifts this week, I just hope I catch the delivery before I leave.

I've requested to change the turquoise for grey but if not, no problem,the turquoise is rather nice. I'm not going to download my entire game library onto it, just selected games. I definitely want all my retro and favourite indie games on there along with the Zelda's and Mario's. Pretty excited to get my hands on it. I've never bought a 2nd model of the same console before.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

BruceCM

I love my turquoise Lite, @OorWullie .... Let us know how you get on with it & the games!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

JaxonH

@OorWullie
Right on man! Will be interested to hear your thoughts once it arrives. The amFilm tempered glass screen protectors go on even easier with the Lite, being a smaller screen. I got mine first try without a single micro hair trapped underneath.

I'm not going to download my entire game library onto it, just selected games

Did the exact same thing. All digital of only the best select games- as many as could fit on the micro SD. The Lite is perfect for having all your best games available for immaculate access.

@Knuckles-Fajita
When I got my Switch Lite, I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. Then I got my DQ v2 Switch and I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. Then the backup DQ v2 Switch I couldn’t cancel arrived, and I decided to go ahead and take it out and look at the screen just to compare with the other one. And it was actually a little brighter. It made the one I put all my games on look more “yellow green” in comparison. By itself you would never notice but when you’re looking at both at the same time it’s pretty evident. Then I pulled out the Lite to compare, and it was the brightest of the 3. Then I decided to pull out my OG launch day Switch, since I haven’t sold it yet, and it had the brightest screen of any of them. That sucker is like the sun itself. It’s crazy bright.

I used my phone with an app to measure luminous intensity, and it was measuring in lux (EU equivalent to foot-candles). It was by no means a scientific test and the numbers don’t really represent the screen brightness because I simply held the sensor up to the white area of the home menu. But I do think it’s good for a comparison, just to measure which of the screens are brighter and by how much.

edit: revised numbers with new test performed now on unlock screen. The OG Switch is at 395. The Switch Lite at 435. The DQ v2 Switch #1 is at 380, and DQ v2 Switch #2 at 325. Keep in mind these values weren’t perfectly repeatable but they tended to repeat within +/- 10

My conclusion [revised]: Switch Lites are the brightest. Launch Switch comes pretty close and is noticeably bright, and v2 Switches can vary depending on the unit you get. The one almost looks as bright as the Switch Lite and OG Switch, just with a bit warmer temperature, and the other is slightly less bright and with more greens.

None of them look bad while playing though, I should point out.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, Super Monkey Ball, DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Outer Worlds, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

HobbitGamer

I’ll probably get a Lite close to Christmas, and I’ll likely do the same as far as games on it.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

RedderRugfish

NintendoByNature wrote:

So ive never played a metal slug game and im looking for some advice. I understand this is a very subjective question, but what's the best one to play? I don't really care about which is the best to start with, but I'm looking for most fun. Anyone got suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'd say 1 is my favorite, but 3 tends to be the most popular. You can't go wrong with 1, 2, X, or 3, those ones are all great (though arguably there's not much reason to play 2 instead of X). The later ones aren't quite as good, though still not bad.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH Yeah I figured it was in fact a warmer screen. A lot more colours were blending together, which highlights more of the colours I cant see very well.

Its a fine screen, but the less warm OG Switch is my preferred, which seems to be against what other tech enthusiasts say. Ah well, the joys of disabilities!

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

gcunit

I'm not sure if it's the screen itself that's the difference here. I only say that because my v2 Switch also gives a warmer tone when docked, which suggests to me it's something else causing it.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NotTelevision

I got one of those matte screen protectors for the Switch, and much prefer it. It is anti-glare and doesn’t leave fingerprints. You may be losing a bit in brightness, but if you play out on balcony or the places with a lot of sunlight, it is an ideal solution.

NotTelevision

BruceCM

#living dangerously, I never had a screen protector or case or anything like that for my original Switch Haven't got any for my Lite, either....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

JaxonH

Tempered glass all the way. It goes on easy without air bubbles, it protects the screen to the point you could scrape it with a knife and it wouldn’t even leave a mark, and it’s silky smooth to the touch where your fingers just glide over it, with an oleophobic coating that makes fingerprints come off super easy.

This is from my eBay listing, a pic of my v1 Switch that still has the tempered glass applied.

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, Super Monkey Ball, DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Outer Worlds, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

NotTelevision

@BruceCM Yeah it’s ok for daily use if you’re careful with it and have a good case for traveling. It’s just the dock itself. Seems destined to scratch the screen one of these days.

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic