Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,481 to 34,500 of 69,997

gcunit

Therad wrote:

We will see, but historically that seems unlikely unlikely.

Aw man, it's bad enough when things are just unlikely, but when things are unlikely unlikely you know you're **** out of luck.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

kkslider5552000

Sadist wrote:

On messageboards folks tend to... completely misread the market and who exactly is interested in systems and software.

I'm just quoting this for the accuracy of it. Even including myself, where I predicted Wii U having a real turnaround several times. I'm still mad at myself that I knew exactly how the Switch was going to go and why it was going to succeed, and only posted it afterwards. I literally predicted it perfectly, and I'll never be able to prove it.

But I do feel unless you really know what you're talking about, you shouldn't make assumptions about the success of something that isn't fairly obvious. Especially not on the internet, which isn't the best reflection of reality (if it was, COD would've faded into obscurity like 3 years ago). But in this case, I do think the holiday season, most popular casual-friendly fighting game in history, hyped to BOTW levels, will in fact be very successful on the console where everything sells beyond the norm. Bold prediction, I know.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

gcunit

kkslider5552000 wrote:

But in this case, I do think the holiday season, most popular casual-friendly fighting game in history, hyped to BOTW levels, will in fact be very successful on the console where everything sells beyond the norm. Bold prediction, I know.

So you think Smash Ultimate will be successful? Way to stick your neck out...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Sadist

@kkslider5552000

Agreed.

But it can be difficult. But just to be sure, I’m certainly no professional with lots of data, but an armchair analist who finally learned something about reading sales data over the last few years. Or at least I’d like to think so.

Its fun af times.

Sadist

JaxonH

Idk. I wouldn't underestimate New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. To any hardcore Nintendo fan, it's not a system selling game, because it's a game most hardcore Nintendo fans already played. Not to say those hard-core fans won't buy the game, it's just that most of the hardcore Nintendo fans who already played it either already own the system, or wouldn't buy a system for it specifically.

However (and this is where stepping out of the bubble pays dividends). Most people who end up buying video game consoles are not part of the inner circle of hard-core fans. Most people... haven't played New Super Mario Bros U. To most people, this is a brand new 2D Mario platformer, and the first HD 2D Mario they'll ever have played. And if a new Mario can't sell systems (and it is "new" for most people) then I don't know what can.

Now. I do think the point about games in a vacuum is well said. Very, very few games can sell systems in a vacuum. Even the best games being released today, if they were the only game on the system, probably wouldn't push too many units. But taken in aggregate... that is the biggest system seller.

It's not just a new 2D Mario that will sell people, it's New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, a console Pokémon Let's Go (been waiting on that for 20 years, as well as an HD Pokemon), Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, ARMS, Bayonetta 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tournament, Octopath Traveler, The World Ends With You, Ultra Street Fighter II, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and a long list of quality multiplatform titles that can be played anywhere, such as Dark Souls, Diablo 3 Eternal, Skyrim, DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, LA Noire, Starlink, Dragonball Fighter Z, South Park Stick of Truth and Fractured But Whole, Rocket League, Minecraft, Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, VS VIII, etc etc etc.

That said, sometimes all it takes is one game that a person really loves to sell a system. For example, Diablo 3 has a lot of core fans who will follow that series wherever it goes, and some of them will buy a console just to have that game on an HD handheld hybrid device, just like my coworker bought a Switch for Skyrim. Not Zelda (although once he saw a trailer, it quickly became for "Skyrim and Zelda") but Skyrim, a 7th gen port, was able to sway him to cancel his PS4 order and go with Switch instead (because it offered console play like PS4 while also offering a handheld version). On any other system, I have my doubts that Skyrim would sell that many systems, simply because it would be a port that offered nothing really above and beyond what was already on offer. But an HD handheld hybrid? That's something very desirable to some people. That's something that changes a game from being "a game they love to death but already own" to "a game they love to death and will buy a system just to have a handheld version of". Which is why ports of 3rd party games, even 7th gen games, are helping sell systems. And some people are really confused, to the point of frustration even, because they can't fathom why anyone would care about ports of games that have been out for some time... and they see people buying these games up and they even see people buying consoles for them, and that makes them angry, because in their mind, those games have no right to garner such excitement. They fail to recognize that X factor in play. The hybrid advantage. Something that can take games that most people had long since forgotten about, and turn them into literal system sellers for the core fans of the game in question.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

GeeEmm

That X factor is pretty much why I dont want or need another console. Sold my ps4 pro 6 months after Switch's launch because I didnt play it. Haters gonna hate but this console is what ive wanted my entire 30+ years of gaming.
Now, back to Diablo 3.

GeeEmm

EvilLucario

Remember the naysayers when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was announced?

Where are they now?

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe will do just fine.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

January is historically a slow month. I've noticed a trend in recent years for pretty decent games to release in January to keep momentum going, at least, on other consoles. From Tomb Raider Definitive Ed, to Resident Evil 7, to MH World and DB Fighter Z, to Kingdom Hearts 3, and now Switch will follow that trend with Tales of Vesperia and New Super Mario Bros U.

At the end of the day, I think sales will continue strong through any month of the year, provided there are games to back those sales up. And in years past everyone just seemed to ignore January. But no more. Those days are over.

All the Christmas games bought do last a while, but come mid January, it's been a month, and a lot of gamers are looking for something new. NSMBU Deluxe should slide in perfectly, with Tales as a perfect complement of a complete opposite genre. Tales is actually a bigger deal to me than NSMBU, and I love NSMBU. But I've been trying to play this Tales game for years. It was 360 exclusive, and I bought it for X1 BC, but it never came to BC. That game has been sitting on my shelf for several years now, and I thought I just wasn't ever gonna get to play it. So glad it's coming to Switch. Really happy about that.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Sadist

Yeah January 2019 is no joke; NSMB U Deluxe, Travis Strikes Again, Onimusha Warlords Remastered, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Kingdom Hearts III and Resident Evil 2.

My poor wallet.

Sadist

Therad

I don't think anyone have said NSMBU won't sell well. But personally, I don't see it moving hardware in any significant numbers in January. Most hardware sales are in before the new year, I see no reason it shouldn't be like that this year.

One thing to note, most people here are not representative of an average gamer. The games per system ratio is 5 games per switch. If I would venture a guess, most here will have more than 5 games, sometimes vastly more. Most sales are christmas and/or birthday gifts for ordinary people.

Looking at sales data for switch, my guess it will fall short of the 20 million units Nintendo predicted, but it will still be an respectable number. This is nothing to sneeze at, the first year sales have outsold the PS4, and it looks like the second year will do the same. Nintendo might not have Wii on their hand, but it isn't that far away.

Therad

Anti-Matter

I found this from Siliconera.

As a reminder, Siliconera gets a small portion pocket change from your purchases from our Play-Asia links below. You can also save $3 by using the code “SILICON” by using the coupon button at the payment method selection screen.

Here are the full releases this week:
Nintendo Switch
World of Final Fantasy Maxima (+ eShop version)
Pikachin-Kit: Game de Pirameki Daisakusen (+ eShop version)

eShop Only (Switch)
Minna de Carnival Game!
Astebreed
Bokura no Keshigomu Otoshi
Oekaki Puzzle 1000!

PS Store Only (PS4)
World of Final Fantasy Maxima

Look , World of Final Fantasy Maxima for Switch was mentioned as (+EShop version).
So, Could it be there is a chance for Physical release for World of Final Fantasy Maxima Switch version ??

Anti-Matter

Octane

@Anti-Matter No, it's digital-only on Switch. If you want a physical edition, there are Xbox and PS4 versions.

Octane

Anti-Matter

@Octane
Actually i want to get rid my PS4 version of World of Final Fantasy. Once again, still same saltiness about PS4.
But, if Switch version announced, i must get the Switch version and hoping the Physical release will be happen.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

Looks like teases for the next Kirby Star Allies content has begun.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SuperJoon

Just question about Game sharing.

If me and my wife had a switch each and I shared the games from my account over on her Switch, we wouldn't be able to play Mario Kart/Splatoon 2 etc together as only one Switch can play a game at a time. Correct?

Would we be able to play separate games? So If I'm on Splatoon and my wife was on Mario kart? We could do that?

It would just be the playing together online which would be limited?

Sorry for the questions, reading through the explanation on the Nintendo website had me in a spin haha!

EDIT: we would be playing via our own accounts, using a family membership... If that makes a difference lol

Edited on by SuperJoon

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Bunkerneath

@SuperJoon And this is why I buy Physical

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic