Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,681 to 28,700 of 35,598

DarthNocturnal

@Octane

Dedicated servers means you're mostly relying on your connection, and not someone else's (bar the server itself). With P2P, you do have to worry about other's connections. Bad host? Oh look, everyone lags, even if your net is fine! Host left? Welp, game over. Or, if you're lucky, it'll migrate hosts, breaking the flow of the match. But I'm not sure may games use host migration... of course, this might be because they have dedicated servers.

Really, there's only benefits to be had. And some games are big enough to require them (like Fortnite, which thankfully has it's own).

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Therad

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Octane

Dedicated servers means you're mostly relying on your connection, and not someone else's (bar the server itself). With P2P, you do have to worry about other's connections. Bad host? Oh look, everyone lags, even if your net is fine! Host left? Welp, game over. Or, if you're lucky, it'll migrate hosts, breaking the flow of the match. But I'm not sure may games use host migration... of course, this might be because they have dedicated servers.

Really, there's only benefits to be had. And some games are big enough to require them (like Fortnite, which thankfully has it's own).

Don't count on Nintendo to add servers just because they start paying for online.

Therad

darkfenrir

Did Microsoft and Sony have servers even? I thought those are peer to peer too.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

PikPi

@JaxonH Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for from a Nintendo online system. There's so much should easily be able to do. I think we'll get most if not all of those features at some point

PikPi

DarthNocturnal

@Therad

I never once implied they would, because I don't expect it either. But dedicated > P2P is a fact.

With 3rd parties, it's up to them if they want to use dedicated or not.

@darkfenrir

At least on XB1, more titles use dedicated now. At the very least, Halo 5 does, and I'm quite certain of MCC as well. For Honor got it on all platforms not too long ago. And DICE always uses them for Battlefield/front, no questions asked.

darkfenrir

@DarthNocturnal ah got it! Seems Microsoft is doing good

Too bad that the fact that they don't have too much exclusives are what make them not the king right now

(I hear they have been making leaps and bounds on QoL like the thing with old games and now this)

darkfenrir

DarthNocturnal

@darkfenrir

Yeah. Sea of Thieves is fun, but it does need... more. More anything (which is coming, starting next month). I am curious about State of Decay 2.

BC is great too. I just got the original Battlefronts, and they even retained my digital Destroy All Humans purchase that I made years ago, so I don't have to buy it again.

TheTetrisGuy

Bayonetta 2 on Switch outsold the Wii U version! Am I the only one surprised by that? I’ve seen a bunch of ads for it, but I haven’t heard to many people playing it. That’s great though, it opens the door to other games from Platinum! Please let Wonderful 101 be next 🙏

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

darkfenrir

@DarthNocturnal Yup, BC is something all three need to get on, and Microsoft is the best one right now. Hopefully Nintendo and Sony both will do it next gen at least.

And I hope that more things are coming for Xbox! As of right now I think the winning team is Sony on both US and Europe, while Nintendo wins in Japan.

But I feel like all three should stay together... Like 3 competitors or so. I think past gen is a bit like Xbox wins US, PS wins Europe and Nintendo uhhh wins with 3DS on Japan and all territory I guess. (Kind of guessing, fix me if I'm wrong)

darkfenrir

Octane

@TheTetrisGuy Maybe you're surprised if you thought that Bayonetta 2 on Switch outsold the lifetime sales of the Wii U version, because in that case that's not what happened. Bayonetta 2 sold more in its first nine weeks on the Switch than in its first nine weeks on the Wii U. So it will outsell the Wii U version in time, but not right now lol. If it did that, now that would be amazing!

Octane

TheTetrisGuy

@Octane ... Derp, that’s embarrassing. My bad. Only had a second to read the article. Still, it’s doing great, which is always good.

Edited on by TheTetrisGuy

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

OorWullie

Yeah ,Bayonetta 2 sold 850k on Wii U and with digital sales included I think it passed 1 million. I can't see the Switch port reaching that number. Wii U releases didn't have a lot of competition so games continued to sell fairly well long after release. I'd say Bayonetta 2 for Switch has already reached 90% of it's eventual lifetime sales.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

link3710

@darkfenrir To be fair to Nintendo and Sony, they both have completely legitimate reasons why backwards compatibility wasn't implemented on their current machines. The switch over to ARM away from the basically dead PowerPC was basically a requisite for the Switch to survive in the market where Wii U was dead, and same with PS4 away from it's crazy old Cell processor (which was also PowerPC... partially.) Once you switch the architecture, you can't include backwards compatibility without basically packing in the hardware for the previous console.

Considering both of their histories when architecture doesn't change, it's quite likely the PS5 and the Switch 2 will have BC, as X86 and ARMs seem here to stay for now.

link3710

darkfenrir

@link3710 That's true. Hopefully the next one will be having BC... unless architecture is changing again, I guess... Hopefully not though.

darkfenrir

Octane

@link3710 @darkfenrir In Microsoft's defence, they're in a similar situation. The Xbox One isn't backwards compatible with the original and the 360 either. What they're doing is individually porting the games over and offering them as free digital copies to anyone who has a disc of said game. I guess Sony could offer a free digital download of one of their few PS2 Classics if you inserted the disc, that would be the same.

Octane

darkfenrir

Wew, give me a whistle for Microsoft then. That's so darn good of them because it's all goodwill (It won't really generate revenue because people use their own disc after all)

darkfenrir

Octane

@darkfenrir Yup. It also explains why only part of the library is compatible with Xbox One at the moment, but I believe they're still adding more games to their BC programme.

But it's also why I think that all next gen consoles will be backwards compatible, because x86 is here to stay. Sony, nor Microsoft will change their architecture again, so everything should be playable from the get-go.

Octane

DarthNocturnal

They aren't really porting them though. They said themselves they never touch the game code. I believe it's a virtual machine they use.

That doesn't mean there's no work involved; they still do lots of per game testing. But actually porting each and every game wouldn't be feasible.

Grumblevolcano

@darkfenrir Yeah, while Microsoft isn't doing well on the front of 1st party games over the past year or so (think an even more barren version of the Wii U's 1st year) they're doing fantastic on pretty much every other front of supporting the system. System updates come with with plenty of fan requests, their backwards compatibility lineup keeps growing, crossplay with Switch/PC is increasing, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic