Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,701 to 28,720 of 40,136

IceClimbers

@TheLobster Not necessarily. They could very well do a November Direct this time around.

@YummyHappyPills Fair enough. I feel like there are people that are sold by 2017's system sellers that just waiting for a few other titles that they want to play before biting. Like they got sold by Zelda, but they waited until Mario Tennis and Fire Emblem were also available.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

IceClimbers

I feel like their E3 is gonna be like E3 2013 where Smash Bros is hype but the rest of the presentation is underwhelming, if not disappointing otherwise. Granted that year was undermined by making the games look generic as hell in the trailers.

Let's assume the presentation is 2018 only. They like having 1-2 big games every month, and we don't know the lineup for August-December. However, we do know about Smash Bros, Yoshi, and Fire Emblem. So unless they're doubling up in one of the months, we only have 2 major 1st party game announcements to expect, one of which could very well be Pokemon anyways.

So the E3 lineup is probably:

• Smash Bros
  • Yoshi
  • Fire Emblem
  • Pokemon/Unannounced First Party Title
  • Unannounced First Party Title
  • Major Third Party Port
  • Minor Third Party Port
  • Ridge Racer 8
  • Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion
  • Mario + Rabbids DK DLC
  • Xenoblade 2 Story Expansion
  • Super Mario Odyssey DLC

Also half expecting that other unannounced first party title to be a NSMBU port (the other half of me thinks it's Retro's game).

-Green-

I hope we're all wrong like basically always.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

gcunit

I feel like, for Smash to really drive system sales, it needs something new to come to the series, something significant. Between the 3DS and the Wii U, people who are drawn to Smash have had ample opportunity to play it in HD, to play it on the go. How is Smash Switch going to bring a new proposition?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DarthNocturnal

@gcunit

HD and on the go at the same time, with the option to play multiplayer on just one system in either console or portable mode, in addition to local wireless, which could still benefit from sharing screens if they allow two people to play on each Switch, like with online in Brawl & 4.

This series was made for the Switch before the Switch was even called the NX.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

NEStalgia

@TheLobster to be fair though, most of the games prior were g.i. Joe as well.. Not much change of direction there. Just a mindset shift.

Wow, that's a pretty strong parental view on games. I've heard of that parents that disallowed video games entirely because they "rot your brain" (almost universally burned out hippies that lived on rock and roll that "rotted minds" and played with substances that really did.... . But "girls don't play video games" is new to me. What a crazy view of games they had! Mostly girls seemed less interested in general. Or dismissive of it as things "stupid boys play with" (versus sophisticated Barbie i guess?) Though i was aware of some girls that played, mostly because beating their parents to the clearance counter for games at the rental store was an Olympic level contest.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@gcunit smash switch would be the popular 3ds version without that huuuge compromise versus the unpopular but Superior wiiu version.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Smash definitely was not unpopular on Wii U. I'm sure it sold more on 3DS, but that's just the reality of releasing a game on a system with 60+ million vs. 12+ million owners (not to mention the pretty drastic difference in price between the two versions!)

Although, as far as I'm concerned, Smash 3DS was the superior version regardless, as it had Smash Run and lacked that terrible board game mode from the console version.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Well that paired with an actually good online service would be enough to shift lots of consoles. The biggest problem with Brawl, 3DS and Wii U was the online quality for sure.

But really a lot of Nintendo 2018 is about how well Nintendo does that paid online service.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@gcunit Yeah, HD and portable, not to mention the whole "play anywhere" nature of the Switch, and the guaranteed single joycon mode (Can't be worse than using the wiimote sideways was.) Not to mention, I don't know anyone who'd buy a system for a single game. So just because Smash wasn't a tipping point for someone on the hugely unpopular Switch doesn't mean it won't be here. In fact, there's probably a good number of people who never even heard of the Wii U version given that systems poor word of mouth.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Ralizah you're not wrong.....

Wiiu was popular among owners of an unpopular console, though. 3ds ver was popular among owners of a popular console.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

link3710 wrote:

Not to mention, I don't know anyone who'd buy a system for a single game.

I actually know someone who ONLY buys Nintendo consoles to play Smash. That's all he plays on it. Ever.

Also know a few people like that with Pokemon.

So they're definitely out there, and not rare (I'm not exactly a social butterfly in my day to day life, so it's not like I meet a bunch of different people every year).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

DarthNocturnal

@link3710

I think single joycon has just enough buttons. One face button for normals, one for specials, stick to move, ZL/ZR to shield/ dodge, and either ZL/ZR + face button to grab, or just assign it to an extra face button. Same with jump (if you don't like jumping with the stick). Everything else is button combos (ZL/ZR + stick to roll/ sidestep, for example).

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

EvilLucario

The only thing single Joy-Con is missing are taunts, assuming they're sticking with putting jump on BOTH Y and X. They can replace either one of those buttons with taunts and have you activate it by pressing either direction and the button like you did in Brawl.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

IceClimbers

@DarthNocturnal Yeah single Joy-Con wouldn't be much different than playing on 3DS. Just no c-stick or taunting

DarthNocturnal

They could use the Grip Mode L/R and ZL/ZR buttons for taunts... although, you'd only have two. Unless just one button is used to bring up a quick select menu.

RR529

US eShop ranking (May 5, 2018)

15. Robonauts
14. Kirby: Star Allies
13. Celeste
12. Super Mario Odyssey
11. Splatoon 2
10. the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
9. Overcooked: Special Edition
8. South Park: the Fractured but Whole
7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
6. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
5. VS Super Mario Bros
4. Rocket League
3. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy
2. Stardew Valley
1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Not much has changed since yesterday, with DK cementing himself king of the digital jungle. However, South Park surpassed Overcooked, reclaiming the 8 spot.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Spanjard

Ralizah wrote:

link3710 wrote:

Not to mention, I don't know anyone who'd buy a system for a single game.

I actually know someone who ONLY buys Nintendo consoles to play Smash. That's all he plays on it. Ever.

Also know a few people like that with Pokemon.

So they're definitely out there, and not rare (I'm not exactly a social butterfly in my day to day life, so it's not like I meet a bunch of different people every year).

I’d like to add Zelda and streetfighter to that list.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

EvilLucario

@DarthNocturnal Using the default controls, I don't think that'll work. On the 3DS, it's L and R for grab and shield. So on single Joy-Con, SL and SR would be the same deal.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

IceClimbers

@DarthNocturnal Are there games that use the normal L/R and ZL/ZR buttons in single Joy-Con mode? In that case, yeah you could assign two of the taunts to those and then the third taunt to the other face button since there's usually two of those assigned to jump.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic