Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,701 to 28,720 of 37,641

Knuckles-Fajita

Bit annoying to see both Mega Man Legacy Collections would fit on one 4GB card, but SF needs an 8GB card yet doesn't need a download.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

@YummyHappyPills I think that's the problem, to get the 2 Legacy Collections on 1 cart you'd need to create stuff that isn't in the PS4/XB1 versions like have an extra menu where the user decides which Legacy Collection to play. The options to avoid having to do that would be either each Legacy Collection has its own cart (more expensive for Capcom) or have one of the collections be digital download (the option they chose).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

andrew20

@link3710 Why they did they not add 3ds backwards compatbity due to the GBA,DS,3DS use a ARM tech.unless they will port them over i hope for an echoes port

andrew20

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: toughdude | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Sounds plausible, until you consider Mega Man X Collection 1 and 2, which isn't sold separately on other versions yet still requires a download for the second collection.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Diablo 3, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Dark Souls, World of Final Fantasy, TWEWY
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH The PS4 and XB1 versions of Mega Man X Collection 1 + 2 have 2 discs so while it's not sold separately, the same logic applies. The choice being for Switch between 2 carts (more expensive for Capcom) or have one of them be a digital download.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Didn't know that.

They're so freaking... so paying for 2 discs rather than just making a menu to launch either Collection, or just make it one master collection... Idk what Capcom is thinking sometimes.

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

Wait, so it's literally two discs in one case? Because they couldn't bother making a separate menu? lol

Octane

NEStalgia

@link3710 "Compatibility Mode" is a result of Microsoft's fragmented development leading to backward incompatibility in core system APIs. It's incompetence, not a feature

@Grumblevolcano They've made good hardware with a well supported ecosystem. They're consumer friendly (mostly because they have no choice but to be as the also-ran right now), but ultimately it's always a catch 22....the nicer machine/environment, versus the machines that actually get you more of the big name games. That will perpetually keep them behind probably even Switch.

NEStalgia

KryptoniteKrunch

That's so weird. In early gameplay videos of Street Fighter 30th, they were showing how quick you can go in and out of all the 12 SF games on the main menu. But the same studio(Digital Eclipse) that doing the emulation couldn't have the Legacy Collections on one menu?

[3DS Friend Code: 2793-1322-9869] Pokemon X/Y FS Type: Bug.
[NNID: KryptoniteKrunch]

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

DarthNocturnal

Octane wrote:

Wait, so it's literally two discs in one case? Because they couldn't bother just making one collection with everything in it? lol

FIFY. A lot of this headache would've been avoided if MMLC was 1-10 + Mega Man & Bass. And really, there's no good reason to split the X collections when they're releasing at the same time.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal "For Honor got it on all platforms not too long ago"
Adding dedicated servers for For Honor doesn't cost much. You only need an old C2D and like 2GB of ram to host a server for the dozen or so players it has. (ba dum psht!)

@darkfenrir MS is the only one that really CAN do BC this gen. They moved from PPC to x86 so they can emulate the PPC reasonably well. Nintendo moved from PPC to ARM, and its wildly different mobile architecture....you can't really emulate a WiiU on it directly and expect reasonable results. And Sony moved from that REALLY bespoke custom Cell to x86. PS3 was just....weird inside. So they have that absurd Gaikai service. Sure it makes them look like they're the most consumer friendly (and right now they are), but it comes as a benefit of being the only one that can technologically do it with the most similarity between their old and new architecture.

PPC->more powerful x86 = doable emu.
PPC->ARM/mobile = too different architecture required to get effective EMU.
Cell->Anything = Run. Screaming like a little girl. Do NOT look back.

NEStalgia

darkfenrir

@NEStalgia Lmao that's true, but at least they are trying since their emulation also add a lot of things I hear? (like the BC of one of the games are actually better than the remasters...)

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

JaxonH

Where's all the hype for Wolfenstein 2?

Game is downright excellent, one of my personal fave FPS games I've ever played. It drops in like 2 months time, with motion from day one.

Seems like quality 3rd party games are dropping now (what people have wanted on Nintendo platforms for a low time) and so few people care. Just Wolfenstein 2 on Nintendo alone is exciting, but an actual handheld version of the full game, with legit motion controls? People cry out for games like Conduit to make a return... man screw Conduit. We're getting handheld console hybrid Wolfenstein 2 with motion!

And this after seeing South Park completely bomb, which is reminiscent of all their games tanking on Wii U before they pulled support. I sure hope people actually want all these games they've been asking for. Because if we don't want them... they'll stop coming, of that you can be sure.

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

@darkfenrir

Oh yes. Lots of visual boosts (resolution for example). Plus they work with stuff like Game DVR, so you can record screenshots or clips, or even stream via Mixer or Twitch.

JaxonH wrote:

People cry out for games like Conduit to make a return...

Uh, they do? I mean, I enjoyed them, but... I figured they were completely forgotten. The first got a mobile port, and....... does High Voltage Software even do anything anymore? Aside from porting Netherrealm games?

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

link3710

@NEStalgia I'm aware lol, was just trying to simplify down the fact that the same issue happens between 360 and XB1 where APIs aren't natively supported.

@andrew20 There's a huge number of issues with 3DS backwards compatibility that I simplified out in my initial explanation.
1. They'll need to find a solution to displaying the dual screens that is actually acceptable to end users, and looks professional. Easy enough, but requires work.
2. The processor is backwards compatible, but the graphics architecture is not, as that switched over to the Tegra. They'd need to either include a 3DS graphics card in the switch or emulate it, one of which would be a huge amount of work, and the other one raise the cost of the already expensive Switch, require fitting in additional ports, and raise it's weight.
3. The touch features would need proper implementation in console mode, and the system isn't designed to be held one handed in portable mode, leading to increased risk of damaging the system and bad PR.
4. Lack of microphone input for compatible games. Easy enough work around, but still an issue.

Basically all this ends up to a huge amount of work on Nintendo's end that could be spent on other features, or putting a large amount of configuring responsibility on the end user, many of whom aren't tech savvy enough and expect to be able to just plug it in and play.

link3710

darkfenrir

@JaxonH I would want to be hype about it if it was dropping earlier (end of may / beginning of june), as it is it will hit too close to Ys8/Shining/Octopath for me, AND, I also have to consider since I got massive nausea from playing FPS games (Portal/Stanley Parable was terrible for me, I also got motion sick from Warframe, Prey, and even when NieR: Automata's camera was moving too fast).

Maybe I'll pick it up with my usual seller if I have empty time :X but as of now, it just hit at the busiest time for me.

@DarthNocturnal And that's really great! Dang, if you have tons of Xbox games, all of these are really great news :0

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH What do you mean South Park completely bombed?

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I hear it from time to time, or at least, used to before DOOM was announced.

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

NEStalgia

@JaxonH To be fair, there was little to no hype for Wolf2 on ANY platform. It's kind of an under the radar game from every angle, not just in the Nintendo circle. I don't think Bethesda plays the marketing machine the way EA, Activision, Sony, Ubisoft love to do. Fallout and TES sell themselves, but everything else....Wolf isn't exactly a big name to the kiddies, despite its retro cult status. I imagine PC is it's biggest home....which, makes my inner golden age PC gamer geek grin from ear to ear.

I'm so thrilled about the motion controls though! I still haven't actually tried them in Doom. I keep telling myself "After DQ:B"....and I never get there. Wolf will be out by then!

South Park....I'm genuinely surprised at the sales lack: BUT, given the discounts and age of the game, the "initial sales" bump is long over. There wasn't going to be that release week spike. I'm hoping in the Nintendo world it will hold onto steady-ish long term sales. I thought that would do better, though, as well.

It's a hard cycle to break for Nintendo. Being the "second launch" of a game is never going to get proportional sales to other platforms. I wonder how South Park would have done if it were day 1 with other platforms? That's surely not graphics heavy or multiplayer so "best platform" and "my friends..." wouldn't apply. It may just be a matter that most of the target audience already played it (for cheaper) elsewhere by the time it launched. Normally I agree with you that games don't need to be as cheap as other platforms when launching on a new platform...but do they? South Park has been $30 or less for months, several times, on PSXdows10. "Buy this for $60" probably isn't selling the South Park crowd that knows it will be $30 sooner or later if they didn't already play it (heck, I'm checking my own sanity at buying it now....of COURSE it will be cheaper later!) Consumers aren't always morons. Just usually.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic