Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,641 to 28,660 of 70,011

Therad

YummyHappyPills wrote:

@OorWullie Except we run into the PSNow problem.

Net infrastructure isn't ready for the back and forth needed and resolution and input response takes a hit. On Switch I can only imagine how worse it will be.

Plus, sure other games can do this too. But then it's $20 for 180 days for that next game. And then next one. And the next one. And the next one.

And when you're out? 4g hotspot it up or no game for you.

Sad part is...Resident Evil 7 with downgrades probably could run on Switch. Sad thing is it's Capcom, who take minimal effort (Half the time) and always release a game on this system with some caveat. Digital only, digital only in one region, half on cart, smaller game on a cart bigger as download....

I am quite sure it will be unplayable with a 4g hot spot, latency would make it feel very unresponsive. I don't think the 6 month sub is a problem, most won't play it for more than a month any way. Why they couldn't charge a 20 for lifetime is beyond my understanding.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Therad

I am guessing they are using Nvidias streaming service. Personally I would rather have wanted them to use it for streaming from a local machine, but that is just me.

But one thing to notice, they should really have consolidated this through Nintendo-servers. Then they could have made a service similar to Xbox game pass, play any amount of games for a single sub, I.e the Netflix of gaming. Selling them game by game seems like horrible value. But we will soon see people justifying it with "It is only 11 cents a day!!! Can't you afford that, cheapskate?" and later "What do u expect for a service that cheap? Of course it isn't perfect.".

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Octane

@Therad You can't offer lifetime, I mean, I guess they can, but you know that's never going to happen.

About the price. It's far from perfect, and I don't think I would ever want to ''rent'' a game. Then again, I can get RE7 on another system if I wanted to, so it's not an issue for me. However, this is probably the only way to get the game running on Switch without downgrades, provided your internet connection is good enough. It's a game most people play through once. It's $20 and not $60. I know there's people who still rent games, or who buy games and sell them after they're done with it. I don't think this solution is as bad as some make it out to be.

Octane

kobashi100

This is Capcom just being Capcom. RE7 runs on the GPD Win 2. A switch version would have been possible with some work. Visually downgraded at 30fps should be possible on switch.

I can't see RE7 cloud edition leaving Japan.

kobashi100

KryptoniteKrunch

.....Bizarre decision to make this streaming only. Is the difference in running it on a server THAT much different to where the game couldn't run on Switch normally??

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad You can't offer lifetime, I mean, I guess they can, but you know that's never going to happen.

About the price. It's far from perfect, and I don't think I would ever want to ''rent'' a game. Then again, I can get RE7 on another system if I wanted to, so it's not an issue for me. However, this is probably the only way to get the game running on Switch without downgrades, provided your internet connection is good enough. It's a game most people play through once. It's $20 and not $60. I know there's people who still rent games, or who buy games and sell them after they're done with it. I don't think this solution is as bad as some make it out to be.

You are right, with lifetime they would need the servers to stay up, with a sub they can terminate them when they feel they don't get enough money. Yet another reason why this sort of model isn't suited for a single game. If it were a service with multiple games, it would be easier for them to just let old games stay there if someone would want to play it.

Personally, I am not a fan of streaming games. Especially for action-oriented games, where you really need to have as low latency as possible. My guess is that this was the cheapest option to have it on the switch, minimal porting needed, just some servers with Nvidia tech on them.

Therad

Octane

@KryptoKrunch The internet connection is the bottleneck if you're streaming a game. Now, I don't think the Switch can output 4K at 60fps, because of the USB-C connection, but assuming it could, you could run RE7 in 4K at 60fps if you wanted to (and if your internet connection is good enough of course). The difference is that the Switch isn't doing any of the work. Capcom is running the game on their own hardware and streaming the output to you. There's a bit of input latency, but I've heard that it's not as bad as it seems, and unless you're comparing the two side by side (streaming vs running natively), it can be hard to tell the difference.

The biggest issue is that you're not buying anything. If Capcom wants to end this ''service'', they can. The game would just disappear.

Octane

Therad

The latency issues will depend very much on how your internet is setup, and what kind of internet you have. And it also depends if you have a wired connection to the switch.

When we are talking about internet speed we aren't really talking about speed, we are talking about throughput, i.e how much stuff you can download at a single time.

Think of it like a road network. Let's say you like to visit your grandma. If she lives in the same neighborhood as you, you can visit her between lunch and supper easily. The time to reach her is short, regardless of how you do it. But if she lives outside your state, suddenly it takes longer for you to meet her, despite you going on an high-speed freeway. Why? Because of the latency. The freeway can service many more cars than your neighborhood roads but the time it takes to reach the place you want to go increases with distance.

The same thing happens when you press a button in a game. If it is rendered on your machine, it can be incorporated in the next graphical frame. You get a fast response for your action. But if you need to send your button press over the net, it will take some time for it to reach the server, it to reflect it in the game and send it back.

Therad

Alber-san

RGT85 made a great point about the streaming of RE. This is a horror game and it's best played at home.

At first I thought this was a bad idea because it could become the norm. Developers streaming games instead of going through the trouble of porting them is a horrible scenario. BUT this IS a horror game which you most likely won't be playing on the go and we'll be able to experience it without any downgrade.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

darkfenrir

https://nintendoeverything.com/west-of-loathing-launches-may-...

Features:

– A sprawling open world, chock full of danger, quests, puzzles, and mysteries
– Lush hand-drawn black and white graphics
– Thousands of jokes, gags, and goofs
– Crunchy turn-based combat (but only if you want it)
– Liberal use of the Oxford comma
– Over 50 hats
– Disreputable saloons
– Several gulches
– A drunk horse

If no one of you ever played it, this game is a definite pick up if you enjoy comedy + RPG... definitely one of the best comedy experience I ever had. So good and funny.

darkfenrir

UnknownReader

@darkfenrir I was actually thinking of getting this when I saw the trailer during I believe in one of the NDirect (?) But I am going for Smoke and Sacrifice first instead.

My Brain, eyes, and fingers are not team player. They don't coordinate with each other.

IceClimbers

Okay, I felt the need to bring this up here, and not just on the other thread. The new rumor surrounding Pokemon Switch suggests that the game ONLY has the original 151.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

FragRed

@IceClimbers Plot twist: additional Pokemon obtained through loot crates

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Fan favourites from other generations are as likely to appear as KOS-MOS in Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@Therad
It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. The tyranny of distance, I'm never going to be close enough in the furthest corner of the world for it to be worth the effort. Even if I had decent internet with huge bandwidth and low latency it'd still be 100s of ms to Japan, the US, Europe or even Sydney

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

The Mario Tennis Aces news section has revealed the demo characters:
Mario (All-Around)
Peach (Technical)
Yoshi (Speed)
Bowser (Power)

5 more characters are unlocked as you play more.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

skywake wrote:

@Therad
It's all academic as far as I'm concerned. The tyranny of distance, I'm never going to be close enough in the furthest corner of the world for it to be worth the effort. Even if I had decent internet with huge bandwidth and low latency it'd still be 100s of ms to Japan, the US, Europe or even Sydney

Yeah, that is true. The only saving grace I think is that it isn't especially expensive.

Therad

OorWullie

I live not far from Bangkok which is 4612km from Tokyo.The average ping speed between the two cities is 107ms with a minimum / maximum of 104ms/140ms so streaming Resident Evil 7 from Japan might be doable for me. I'll download the demo on the 28th and let you know how it goes.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic