Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 23,661 to 23,680 of 70,008

NaviAndMii

@Grumblevolcano I didn't mean that in a derogatory way or anything - I just understand that my point of view is perhaps on the 'optimistic' end of the scale, so the opposing point of view is pessimistic by comparison

I'm pretty confident that Nintendo won't neglect their most established and lucrative franchises though -
and I'd also expect the Switch to have a fairly lengthy lifespan (compared to the WiiU for example) ..so I am seemingly more hopeful than most that most of the key IP's will get standalone games on this platform - even multiple releases in some cases - to capitalise on the success they're having with this particular hardware iteration

...I just don't think that the assumption that we won't be getting a 'Smash 5' or a 'Mario Kart 9' should become the status quo, that's all - we might, we might not - but sometimes I just feel that optimism that we will get those games gets dampened to a point where people begin to believe that we won't & I just like to remind people that the hope is still very much alive!

There's no real reason to assume one way or the other - it's just hope, fear or guesswork at this point really - but I'm firmly in the 'hope' camp myself!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Octane We still have the big unknown that is the paid online subscription

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Inertiacreep

If they would just announce whatever the hot ish they're gonna drop this year is, all these ports would seem awesome.

Like if they said Pokemon release August, Mother 3 October, new Mario RPG before Christmas, we would be crying tears of joy for these ports.

Inertiacreep

DarkRula

Also, to add onto this point about not getting a Mario Kart in the future - since the DS, a new Mario Kart game has been appearing every three years, and [technically for Europe at least] the trend has been that the handheld version launches the same year as the console launched, while the home versions are two years after launch. Since Switch takes the form of both, 8 Deluxe is the 'handheld' game, with 9/10 being the 'home' version in three years time.
However, I can understand the point about convention breaking, since that is something Nintendo seem to be doing recently - at least since the Switch's reveal.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

NaviAndMii

'Mario Kart Switch' wouldn't necessarily have to offer a visual improvement over MK8D...they could go down the 'Double Dash' route instead and offer a twist on the format, perhaps? (just to offer something different to what is already available) ..it'd certainly need a USP - and if the selling point isn't the graphics, it'd have to be a new/different way of playing instead

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

SLIGEACH_EIRE

EDGE Magazine review scores.

Lost Sphear - 6
Arena of Valor - 6
Celeste - 8
Brawlout - 3

They like Celeste, though not as much as everyone else. Brawlout took a hiding. And the other 2 are just above average. It's interesting to compare their scores with other sites.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Grumblevolcano

As for Mario Tennis Aces being an early June title, that would actually make a lot of sense. I forgot to put Nintendo Labo on the list which is already a confirmed April game. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and Nintendo Labo is enough for April. I still think Yoshi will be June so maybe Mario Tennis Aces in early June and Yoshi in late June.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Azooooz

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Arena of Valor is in beta version, so why did they score it so early?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

IceClimbers

So the upcoming Pokken patch adds video capture support in addition to balancing and Aegislash (needs the DLC purchase to be unlocked obviously).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Captain_Toad

@Azooooz The same reason PUBG was in the Game Awards even when it was in beta. I don't know!

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

FragRed

@subpopz Well there is a lot they can still innovate with the Mario Kart franchise. I mean, if they were really struggling for idea they could just steal the idea of tracks changing during the course of the race from Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed or whatever it was called. But this being Nintendo, they probably have plenty of original ideas they could bring to the genre.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

OorWullie

@Grumblevolcano I really can't imagine Xenoblade X being the Switch big 2nd year Xmas game,not by any stretch. There will be more ports for sure but there will be several big games from Nintendo as usual mixed in between. If they're just going to be releasing ports all year, then what are all the first and 2nd party teams going to be doing. Koizumi said back in December, and he's said it previously to that too, that there will be a steady stream of games throughout the year just like last year, there will be IP that they've yet to use as well as new IP and non traditional Nintendo IP.Plus there will be games that make use of the Switch's unique features . Labo falls into the latter obviously Not sure about non traditional Nintendo IP though, Labo is still very Nintendo so I'm not sure it could fit that description.

I think there will be, at the very minimum 6 big non port releases by Nintendo themselves this year,Mario Tennis and Fire Emblem included. That's less than they would normally put out on any single console, never mind a hugely successful one in its 2nd year and no 3DS to support.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Anti-Matter

NaviAndMii wrote:

'Mario Kart Switch' wouldn't necessarily have to offer a visual improvement over MK8D...they could go down the 'Double Dash' route instead and offer a twist on the format, perhaps? (just to offer something different to what is already available) ..it'd certainly need a USP - and if the selling point isn't the graphics, it'd have to be a new/different way of playing instead

I'm thinking Mario Kart 9 will probably have a "Transform" feature, which your vehicle can transform into another form. Imagine from Go Kart changes into a Motorbike or from ATV changes into Mini Aeroplane, etc. Probably, a new type of vehicles, floating vehicles like Magic Carpet / Mini Aeroplane / Jet Pack / Superhero cape / Wing , etc (Remember Chocobo Racing PS1 ? There were Bahamut with its wing, Black or White Mage with their Magic carpet )

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

skywake

I don't get the logic of people who are saying that Nintendo should make sequels rather than ports because they want "innovation". Because somehow a brand new Smash Bros and a brand new Mario Kart is the most innovative thing they could be doing. They have to release these games, they're the games that move systems. And clearly people don't seem to care that they're ports judging by the sales. So they've done what they needed to do.

So isn't it better that Nintendo can instead put those resources into different games entirely? For example if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had been Mario Kart 9 we wouldn't have got Arms. I'd personally rather have Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros 4 for Switch and another two entirely different games than "proper sequels" of Smash and Kart.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@OorWullie Well the big holiday game for 2017 wasn't Xenoblade 2 in December, it was Mario Odyssey at the end of October. So the big holiday game this year with the list I created would be the Smash 4 port of which it's Smash so for most the fact it's a port won't dampen the hype, especially if it includes all the content from both versions.

Grumblevolcano

IceClimbers

@OorWullie Pretty sure Labo covers those last three things by itself. I wouldn't consider it to be something "traditional" at all, the games are new IP technically, and they make use of the Switch's features (IR camera, HD Rumble, gyro) in droves.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TuVictus

I love me some ports, but I do want at least a couple major releases for the Switch this year. Something new to look forward to at least

TuVictus

EvilLucario

I do think we'll get a Smash 4 port, but then again I don't know what you'd change for a Smash 5. To me it seems like it's best as a "game as a service" where you just keep adding and adding and adding content to it.

A double pack of both the Wii U and 3DS version along with more content would be nice to see.

Either way, since Nintendo's keeping their cards close to their chest (literally knew NOTHING about Mario Tennis until a few weeks ago lol) I'm waiting for E3 or a Nintendo Direct to judge for myself. I'm still happy with my Switch since I'm STILL playing Xenoblade 2 after 180 hours, and I'm only 20 hours into Odyssey lol.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

Has it been confirmed yet about Labo whether the software in both packs (Robot and Variety) are the same?

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic