Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 23,681 to 23,700 of 35,622

Spanjard

These “I have supported and I have to buy again” cries are boring. You look cheap and nobody wants to keep on hearing you’re poor either. It’s time to get over it.

Untitled

Edited on by Spanjard

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

zitpig

@Harmonie - Zelda is a port, as is Mario Kart - but the Switch versions ARE both definitive - both in content, performance and the way you can play them. You not being able to afford a Switch does not mean that it's not a system that justifies its existance or that it's host to some fantastic Nintendo games.

How can you disagree with the facts? What have I said that is wrong?

Ignoring the indie games is a massive oversight from a so called gamer, as many of them are truly excellent. If you're not prepared to try out indie games over better known games, then that's your loss and a real shame.

The Switch is already home to over 100 games - https://www.imore.com/nintendo-switch-games, with many, many more to come, including some (if not all) of the games you mentioned. They aren't all expensive either, so money for gaming doesn't have to be a huge issue, with games available for just a few pounds/dollars - or with the likes of the pinball games which cost nothing, but give a few tables away for free.

So whether you agree or not, is your business. I'm not going to justify the Switch or its merits any further. If you don't feel it warrants ownership then that's fine. People are excited for the Switch and its future. And there are plenty of reasons for that.

zitpig

Harmonie

@OorWullie I think it has less to do with how they "abandoned" the Wii U and more with how they've released a new system with the expectation of formerly Wii U games to carry it. As I said previously, Mario Kart is a pretty big deal for me... So to have the Mario Kart on the Switch be a game I already own is super disappointing. I want to enjoy Mario Kart, but I don't want to have to spend $60 again for a game I already own.

The comparison between the PS4 controller and the Pro Controller is not accurate. The PS4 comes with a PS4 controller. The Switch does not come with a Pro Controller. I have to pay $70 to get a Pro Controller at all.

What if I don't care about HD Rumble, gyro controls, etc.? I just want a simple controller, like the Wii U Pro Controller. I didn't ask to pay for all of that.

I've been playing with the Joy Con controller holder that came with the system. I admit, I wasn't even really aware of that to begin with beforehand. I'm sure it was in the original Switch presentation, but I forgot. It will have to be an alternative until I can get a Pro Controller, I suppose. Still just want to have a real controller in my hands, though.

Harmonie

NEStalgia

@link3710 Ahh, I had no idea that Wii used GS, or that GS went under. I remember when GS STARTED as a free tool! They were awesome....it was the only way to play Quake online! Then it was bought by IGN/Ziff Davis I believe and went downhill (back in the 90's.) That's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. I can still remember the server list in the original app (the now obsolete website coyly says "it began as we know it in 1999"....which ignores that's when IGN bought it and destroyed everything it was )

NEStalgia

Harmonie

@zitpig My discussion has always been about justifying the Switch for individuals, like Wii U owners. It has never been about justifying the Switch's existence as a whole.

Explain to me how Breath of the Wild on the Switch is the definitive version. I thought they were released pretty evenly for both platforms.

I told you I have a limited amount of money, and I have other non-gaming things I could use that money on as well. I want to be careful. Gaming is not my life. I wouldn't even call myself a "gamer". It's just a side hobby for me. I told you that I would look into these Indies when I had more money. I'm going to look into giving them a real try. Right now just isn't the right time.

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

link3710

@Harmonie Honestly, for you? I would say it's probably not worth it yet. I think it will be in time, no doubt, but I'd wait for price drops, bundles, or just more games to be released. Once the new Pokemon, Yoshi, Kirby, FE, Octopath Traveler and more are out, I think there should be more than enough to justify a purchase. It also really depends on if you've played a lot of the third party games that have come out as of yet already. If you haven't, L.A. Noire, Skyrim, Doom, and more can easily help fill the games list. That said, we'll see what else arrives this year, I suspect it might be easier to make a decision if you wait until the next direct.

link3710

zitpig

I don't have to explain anything. Just look at videos, read reviews, read the forums. The proof is out there. Just open your mind. And you not knowing, doesn't prove my responses wrong.

zitpig

Harmonie

@NEStalgia Is Fire Emblem Warriors worth full retail price? I did think that game looked kind of fun. I'm the odd kind of person that didn't really take to the strategy gameplay of Fire Emblem, but I do like the characters, and would like straight-up action. However, I've played some Warriors games before and found them to kind of be a shallow experience. So I've had to question whether Fire Emblem Warriors is really worth it or not. It looks like a good rent, at least.

@link3710 I have a Switch, actually... Got it for Christmas. Lol. But yeah, I'm just not interested in those third party titles. Violent, gritty video games are just not for me. I can't even stomach watching people play them, to be honest.

@zitpig I've actually watched a full Lets Play of the Switch version on YouTube. I never got even the slightest bit of an impression that the game being played there was any different from what I was playing on the Wii U.

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

javman05

Apologies if this has been asked but can I not earn Nintendo points from digital purposes? I’m sure I read I could but when I try I’m told to insert the game card. Cheers

Mario/Kart/Fifa player amongst others

Add away SW-0735-9217-1217

NaviAndMii

@javman05 I think that the points for digital purchases automatically get added to your account - so you should already have them

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

GrailUK

@Spanjard Lol, what on Earth is that picture about mate?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

@GrailUK It's a game, don't know the name, but it's a weird game.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Harmonie FE:W is fantastic in a surprising way. I'm not a hardcore FE fan (I suck at it but want to love it) and I'm not a Warriors die hard (it's fun snack food but it's limited in depth), but FE:W really got the formula right in a magical sort of way. I'd say it's the best Warriors to date because it takes a surprising amount of FE strategy (weapons triangle, changing victory conditions, and unit management on the map) and really "feels" like an FE game adapted as an action game. Sure it's still button mashy with the ever hard to pull off "XXXXXXY" combo But it gives resource grinding a purpose, and gives some good bonus content via the History Mode. I liked Hyrule Warriors. I like but suck at FE. But that game kind of really pulled me in. It's deep enough to be fun and addicting without having to be "deep" of that makes sense. Bamco/Nintendo collab really struck a right note on that one. Hidden gem to be sure.

NEStalgia

javman05

Cheers for the reply sir. Whilst I’m hear can you tell me how I add my friend code to bottom of profile and change my pic? Look like such a noob lol @NaviAndMii

Mario/Kart/Fifa player amongst others

Add away SW-0735-9217-1217

Ralizah

Harmonie wrote:

Explain to me how Breath of the Wild on the Switch is the definitive version. I thought they were released pretty evenly for both platforms.

900p docked on Switch vs 720p on Wii U.
Post-stability patches, I believe the Switch version drops frames less often than the Wii U version.
Portability, of course.

Nothing dramatic, but it IS the better performing version.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

EvilLucario

Honestly my thing about the Switch, they've done a very good job catering to a lot of different genres in games.

Platformer: Mario
Action-adventure/open world: Zelda (multiplatform)
Fighting: ARMS and Pokken (port)
Racing: Mario Kart (port)
RPG: Xenoblade 2
Tactical: Mario + Rabbids
Shooter: Splatoon 2

And that's just from first-party, then you can add in third-parties like the indie scenes and Bethesda games to fill out even more genres.

I don't know about you, but getting all this on the first year is very lucrative, especially since generally there really isn't that much reason to get a new console at the first year unless you desperately need to play a game on that platform, and the Switch provides most of it already. Some of these games are ports, but there's also quite some new games as well, so it's not like you're only getting ports.

If you don't care for those games that's fine, just wait for the ones you want. But if you were a past Wii U owner, you would also know the copious amounts of game droughts that plagued the Wii U, something the Switch will not suffer to the same extent. So really, give any console a wait until you see enough games you want.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Spanjard

@GrailUK @Octane It IS a weird game, also a frustrating one. It’s called “Getting over it”.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

GrailUK

@Spanjard Ahhh makes sense (lol)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JohnBlackstar

You guys crack me up. Maybe it is because a lot of you guys are so young, but I have never seen people fight so hard to disprove how Harmonie feels about her purchase. I'm used to my generation that we vent how we feel about something, we all respect the other person's opinion, and we enjoy the discussion. Some of you are doing that and then there are the few immature ones like Spanjard who probably still live in mommy and daddy's basement waiting for that first big break in life.

JohnBlackstar

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic