Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 23,681 to 23,700 of 69,962

OorWullie

For the next Mario Kart I'd like it to have a proper story mode and some on water racing ala Diddy Kong Racing. The single player in MK is so weak,I don't find the computer fun to race at all.Sonic Racing nailed the single player career and had genuinely challenging racing with little to no rubber banding,at least that I noticed. Have a similar story mode to Sonic, add in a nice hub world with lots of secrets to find and you have a winner. I found unlocking all the vehicle parts in MK8 to be an absolute chore. I haven't even bothered doing it in the Switch version. Luckily my nephew plays it though so I've at least got some stuff.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Grumblevolcano

I think 2 ways to unlock stuff would be the best. The current unlock approach is good for anyone who plays multiplayer a lot (local or online) as you get coins just for playing normally but for anyone who mostly plays single player, it's an annoying grind. So keep the coins approach and have specific single player unlock requirements as another option.

Honestly, I feel Brawl did this approach perfectly. You could unlock all fighters by playing the Subspace Emissary campaign, playing a certain number of normal matches or complete certain goals (e.g. play classic mode at a certain difficulty, complete a certain event).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

@OorWullie Oh... I'd forgotten how Mario Kart 8's unlock system goes after all of these years... I despise the RNG unlock system. Seeing as I don't remember it from Mario Kart 8, it must not have been as bad there. However, I remember it very unfondly in Mario Kart 7, where the kart parts I wanted were the very last I unlocked and it made me really frustrated.

I was actually thinking earlier today how Mario Kart story mode has never been a thing before. I'm not sure I've ever really felt like it was something that was missing, but now I think it might be a neat idea. Especially since with Mario Kart 8 I feel like the actual racing experience has become so polished that maybe a new Mario Kart could keep the racing system pretty similar while giving us a story mode.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Has it been confirmed yet about Labo whether the software in both packs (Robot and Variety) are the same?

I guess technically they haven't confirmed it but at the same time the promotional images do show the boxart for the game itself. Each pack has a different set of box art. I guess in the long run there's nothing stopping them from selling cheaper versions of future Labo kits that contain codes for DLC in the box alongside the materials to construct it. But currently it looks like it's a full and unique cartridge in every kit.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Well if it is unique cartridges we'd probably be seeing more Labo kits throughout the year hence it's possible that Labo on its own is what Koizumi was referring to by "New IP", "Non-traditional IP" and "Games which use Switch's unique features" for this year.

If Labo takes off, that 20 million Switches goal will be a breeze.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I am still of the opinion that the mass market won't care or want Labo, especially if it requires a £270 console investment in addition to the Labo products. Most the people likely going to buy into Labo are the Nintendo fans who have already spoken up for their love of it and put down pre-orders which I assume is why it ranked so highly on Amazon sales in what is traditionally a pretty quiet month game wise.

I will say that I have soften somewhat on my thoughts of the product line from my initial out right hatred. But I still don't want this to be Nintendo's big thing for the year, and I really hope this is NOT the new IP and that they have something new for the rest of us.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@Octane Labo is attracting new people. God of War shouldn't really matter?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@GrailUK It's in direct competition with God of War and therefore potential sales of both software and console sales. Despite what Nintendo likes to put across, the Switch is definitely for the most part being advertised as competition to the PS4 and Xbox One. The kind of third party triple A titles Nintendo has tried to get onto the system is the same type of games the other systems have. So I think going up against God of War does matter, especially if Labo puts off potential Switch buyers for the kiddie image it represents.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@FragRed I can't agree that Labo and God of War in competiton I concede they are in the same industry but that's as far as I see any cross-over.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

SLIGEACH_EIRE

I seen this story yesterday but didn't get a chance to post it.

VARIATIONS IN NINTENDO SWITCH CARTRIDGES

Untitled

Untitled

https://nintendosoup.com/variations-nintendo-switch-cartridges/

Nobody has a definitive answer on why there are differences in the cartridges but it would seem that the black cartridges are 16GB, while the green cartridges are 8GB or less and appear to have a PCB. I'd love to see the back of the Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 cartridge to see if that looks different again, it's the only 32GB produced cartridge to date.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Haruki_NLI

All the cartridges have a PCB...what do you think the flash chip is mounted on?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NaviAndMii

Anti-Matter wrote:

I'm thinking Mario Kart 9 will probably have a "Transform" feature, which your vehicle can transform into another form. Imagine from Go Kart changes into a Motorbike or from ATV changes into Mini Aeroplane, etc. Probably, a new type of vehicles, floating vehicles like Magic Carpet / Mini Aeroplane / Jet Pack / Superhero cape / Wing , etc (Remember Chocobo Racing PS1 ? There were Bahamut with its wing, Black or White Mage with their Magic carpet )

Magic Carpets?? ..I'M IN!!! Haha! Yeah, they kind of have it already with the glider and the water propeller transformations in MK8 - but if they were to take it even further and have space rockets and all sorts of other crazy stuff it could be a lot of fun! I like your thinking!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

JaxonH

Yet to see if that God of War game is gonna be any good. It's always been a Bayonetta/DMC type game with its own flavor. I'm not really sure what they're going for with this new one, but it doesn't look like that style game anymore.

Rayman Legends up on BestBuy for $15.99 with GCU... FYI

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Inertiacreep

Lol.. questioning if the new god of war is going to be good.. you would have to be blind, that game is going to be one of the best games this year.

Inertiacreep

LzWinky

FragRed wrote:

@GrailUK It's in direct competition with God of War and therefore potential sales of both software and console sales.

They're not even after the same market? How are they "direct competition"?

Despite what Nintendo likes to put across, the Switch is definitely for the most part being advertised as competition to the PS4 and Xbox One.

I gathered that many Switch owners own it as a second console.

The kind of third party triple A titles Nintendo has tried to get onto the system is the same type of games the other systems have.

The Switch also has its own games, making it appeal to Xbox and Playstation and PC gamers.

So I think going up against God of War does matter, especially if Labo puts off potential Switch buyers for the kiddie image it represents.

Given that the Switch has outpaced most consoles in its first year, I doubt Nintendo has anything to worry about. I would dare say that the timing for Labo is smart given how the Switch is now selling like crazy.

And no, God of War does not matter.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ccmsModel::load failed for: dgp:users/177865/avatar/0
ccmsModel::load failed for: dgp:users/177865/avatar/0
Alber-san

Are people really saying Labo will fail because it will release at the same time as God of War? Wtf??
Labo appeals mostly to casuals, kids and "kids at heart" none of which care about GoW. And when thinking about which system to buy most people won't care about GoW (as in most people who care about it already own a PS4) but Labo is something completely new that might grab the attention of people to the Switch.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic