Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,901 to 22,920 of 35,915

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I just feel the combination of Metroid Samus Returns and a F-Zero X remaster would be the perfect sendoff for the 3DS. A thank you gift to the people who stuck with 3DS the whole time while still looking to the future on how to make the Switch the best console ever.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarthNocturnal

I kinda wish they pulled an FE Warriors and made Metroid for 3DS and Switch. I'm still getting it for 3DS, but I'm hoping that some 3DS latecomers may get a Switch port.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

-Green-

The above console looks ugly. I was never a huge fan of those phones that had similar designs.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Ralizah
  • $600
  • Ugly
  • Uncomfortable looking controls
  • Still too weak to run a lot of current gen games

No, the Switch has certainly not met its match.

Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
In terms of power and performance it has.

Obviously a device this expensive could never be more than niche. Obviously, you're not going to find more bang for your buck then with a $300 Switch.

But Switch is also too weak to run a lot of current gen games. The point is, this can run more of them and it can run them better. Price and whether you think it's ugly is kind of beside the point. I've been waiting for handheld devices to reach this point for as long as I can remember. It's finally here.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Gen. Ultimate, Dark Souls, TWEWY, Starlink, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

EvilLucario

I'm surprised, no one reported on this (I think. I didn't check the main page for some time).

Nintendo put out a news post on the Switch saying what the best selling Switch games of 2017 are four days ago. The list is as follows:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Splatoon 2
5. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
6. ARMS
7. 1-2-Switch
8. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
9. Stardew Valley
10. Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
11. Sonic Mania
12. Pokkén Tournament DX
13. Super Bomberman R
14. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
15. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
16. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
17. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
18. Puyo Puyo Tetris
19. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
20. Overcooked: Special Edition

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR1F3BHUIAAQp3q.jpg:large

I'm really happy to see both Mario + Rabbids at #5. Hopefully it means more third-party support like Ubisoft and PlatinumGames that take full advantage of the Switch's hardware. XC2 being #17 even at this time and being a more niche genre is also really awesome.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
I saw that in an article (maybe not here though?).

The question is, is this based on digital sales only, because I find it hard to believe Nintendo is tracking physical sales of third-party games. And is it limited by region or is it global?

Assuming it's physical + digital global sales, we know Ultra Street Fighter II has surpassed 500k. Which puts Skyrim over half a mil. Which is encouraging, but it needs to continue to sell. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV?) Skyrim has sold out on Amazon. And not your typical shipment allocation, but semi-permanently. There is no "we are getting more stock on this date". It's sold out sold out. Which leads me to believe they've sold through everything that was printed, and there is no more to restock. Obviously it's still available at other retailers, so we'll have to watch and see if those start selling out too. That game absolutely needs to be a million seller if we want third-party support to continue. If Skyrim can't hit 1 million on Nintendo Switch... we have problems. But I think it can, and will... stock provided of course. It's consistently been in the top 30 of Amazons best-selling videogames list (and that includes everything from PSN cards to consoles to controllers and accessories- it only dropped once it sold out).

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Gen. Ultimate, Dark Souls, TWEWY, Starlink, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@EvilLucario ARMS at 6th is rather promising though hopefully the news about no new ARMS updates is a just a mistranslation. I've seen around that rather than the last update it just being the last update of the year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

@JaxonH It's weird. Rocket League isn't on there and it's been top 3 on the eShop charts since release. I don't know how much Rocket League sold, but that is a pretty weird omission since there's a lot of evidence that it's been doing very well.

@Grumblevolcano I hear it actually is the final content update, with only balancing patches coming in the future.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH You mentioned Treasure in an earlier post but do they even still exist?

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

49/50 followers - Sep 2

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills

No idea. After Sin & Punishment 2 they kind of dropped off the map.

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH @Octane I was gonna say I remember them from the 16-bit era but after that errr....yep.

Still if they exist they could make a comeback with the right project.

49/50 followers - Sep 2

Octane

All I've played from them are Ikaruga and Sin and Punishment. Looking at their software catalog, I'm not missing out on a lot of other games.

Octane

Ralizah

@JaxonH Some tablets have likely already lapped the Switch in terms of raw specs as well. If they haven't, then they certainly will soon. The Switch has a lot more going for it than being a powerful handheld device. It's a hybrid device. It's incredibly versatile, even if you don't take advantage of the hybrid functionality. The joycons are brilliant little controllers that have a variety of features to them (using them as a single controller in a grip or separately; gyro; HD rumble; their ability to individually function as controllers so that local co-op is available anywhere). This is putting aside the elegance of the design aesthetically, the amazing exclusives, the beautifully snappy UI, etc.

I mean, if you like this little computer thing, that's fine, but other than raw specs, the Switch has a lot more to offer, regardless of price point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Knuckles-Fajita

The thing to remember about those raw specs is what is the OS overhead, how optimised is it for gaming Vs Switch? Ehat about its APIs?

All of those factor into performance as well.

49/50 followers - Sep 2

iLikeUrAttitude

1 MORE DAY TIL I CAN OPEN MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT

Good... good
Let the weeb flow through you...

Switch Friend Code: SW-1693-4995-1592

EvilLucario

Very nice.

As for competition against the Switch, I'd say bring it on. But the competition are at quite a few major disadvantages, beyond the usual OS snafus:

• Timing. The Switch already has massive momentum, and it doesn't look like it'll be stopping any time soon. Developers couldn't/can't ignore it forever, so right now they're starting to take notice and start seeing what they can do to support it.
  • Advertising. Until now, I have never heard of the GPD Win. Nintendo has a lot more resources to advertise their products, and their current marketing campaign is extremely good.
  • Games. Nintendo games have wide appeal, and they're a main driving force to buy the hardware. This is the most important factor and one can change at the drop of a hat though, so this is very unpredictable.
  • The controls. The Joy-Cons are really great for what they are, offering instant 2-player multiplayer for certain games and complement a variety of form factors while being really comfortable. The GPD Win, on the other hand, looks even more cramped than a 3DS. Granted I haven't tried it for myself, but I can't see myself liking the layout.
  • Price. What you get from a $300 Switch is really really good. To beat that, you need to pay up more, which is going to drive down interest.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I... don't disagree. Switch does indeed have a lot more going for it. That was never in question. The fact you can easily dock it and play on the TV or set up tabletop mode and remove actual controllers with motion... yeah, Switch has a ton more going for it. The fact it's only $299... you're simply not going to find better bang for your buck when it comes to a portable gaming device.

I never claimed the GPD Win 2 had more going for it. I said Switch has met it's match in terms of power. Of course there are more powerful tablets, but tablets aren't gaming devices. This is specifically designed as a gaming handheld. That's why people were so excited for Switch- not because we haven't seen more powerful mobile devices but because it was the most powerful gaming device. And now, GPD Win 2 will soon be the most powerful gaming device, or at least on par. But it will also have the advantage of being PC-based running on Windows 10, which can be over clocked, storage expanded, STEAM library compatible, etc. Seeing DOOM run on a handheld in full 720p on medium difficulty with actual low settings as opposed to sub-low settings... that's impressive.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@EvilLucario

Oh, GPD Win won't be competing with Switch. It would need a $300 price point to even begin to compete. And even then the mass-market appeal of instantly transitioning from TV to handheld to tabletop, with detachable motion controllers... would be lost on GPD Win 2.

This is just a device for the enthusiasts. The original GPD Win was never more than a niche product. My brother owns one and he loves it but it wasn't quite powerful enough to run Dolphin, and it would struggle for most seventh gen games. There were a few that it could run with ultra low settings, just barely scraping by with a manageable frame rate (original Dark Souls, Fallout New Vegas, etc) most of its appeal were in the less demanding games (Tales of Symphonia HD, Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc). Most owners of the system wanted to see the next iteration powerful enough to run AAA games. And that's what they're focusing on here. They know their customers are the enthusiasts, and would rather pay more to have a very capable handheld. They tried the $300 price point with the first device but it never caught on. So they have wisely chosen to disregard the mass-market price point in favor of the enthusiast price. Because that's what people really want. You hear it all the time- "I would gladly pay $600 if they would just make a handheld that was more powerful". And those are the people this is targeting. People such as myself, Who are willing to pay more for a premium product. Similar to the Xbox One X. Only this will be even more niche than that, not just because it's $100 more but because it doesn't have the massive Microsoft advertising campaign behind it.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic