Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,881 to 22,900 of 38,860

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH I should stress this isn't me being spiteful or anything. I have an eidetic memory so I remember everything everyone says. I actually made that quite useful today in an article on Sony when I called out some BS from 2011 on a blog post they wrote.

You've now said Switch doesn't have much in the way of 3rd parties and this is superior. This runs completely counter to your previous gushing over DOOM, Skyrim, Resident Evil, NBA2K18, FIFA18, and many more.

There is a better handheld experience now. So if you ever say "This is the best portable experience of x game", that's not strictly true. If you ever say a game runs great, sure, it may indeed run great, but it can run better for double the price + more games in the long run, by your own admission.

So why would someone buy a Switch? TV play? There is a better alternative. Portable gaming? There is a better alternative. Nintendo games? Well we don't want to fall into that stereotype do we?

This is the hill you chose mate. Now I don't know if its the one you want to stay on, defending a niche product for how awesome it is while you also state something factually inferior is just as awesome when it comes up, despite having said otherwise while discussing the GPDWin, but hey, you do you.

The GPDWin will serve its niche well. It will be the best portable ever made. Be it via legally grey ROMS and emulation as well as mid-spec PC games (Assuming they don't necessitate something that removes portability, like a keyboard or mouse aiming) and for that niche it will (probably) be the best product for them.

But will it be the best product for everyone else? Probably not, be it on library, battery, size, controls, price, it will not be perfect, just like Switch, Xbox One X, PS4, Vita, Atari Jaguar.

But now we can watch on, as the only saving grace from the man who never shuts up about how great third party games are on Switch and are finally portable, has to change his tune to, great but not amazing portably, but at least you can also play it on your TV.

This actually confirms my belief about the Switch: Jack of all trades, not very good at any of them.

Anyway back on topic, finally, Rocket League is great fun on Switch, though I do notice the textures and resolution getting VERY low both docked and undocked, typically on a select few stages as the match starts, probably due to netcode.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills
I think you're taking this a little too personal.

I think the third party support on switch is good and will improve, for a Nintendo console. I think it's promising relative to Wii U. But if you haven't heard my complaints lately about games not coming to Switch then you haven't been paying attention.

Even if switch got the absolute best third-party support possible it will still never compare to the other platforms. It just won't. And I never said it would. And that's where a device like this really shines. My views have not changed- they're the same as they always have been.

I do gush and still gush about DOOM and Skyrim. Because 1 they are portable entries but more importantly 2 they are tribrid experiences. And I love that and I will continue to love that and I will continue to gush about that and absolutely nothing has changed about that.

But just because I gush about games on Switch doesn't mean I can't gush about games on another platform too! YES I gush about DOOM and Skyrim and LA Noire. YES I gush about RE Revelations. Not only are they HD portable entries but you can play them on the TV instantly and then back on the handheld and with motion and... it's a fantastic experience. Nothing has changed about my views, and I stand by absolutely every last word I've said. I DO love those games on Switch and will CONTINUE to love those games on Switch.

But that doesn't change the fact that this device has thousands of games that the Switch won't and never will have. Is that supposed to not be exciting? Am I supposed to get excited for these games on Switch but NOT get excited for a version that looks even better? That would be hypocrisy.

The two are not mutually exclusive, and never once did I claim the Switch has every single game the PC has. Never once did I even remotely imply the Switch had that many 3rd party games. I said I liked the ones it was getting, and I'm glad it's getting decent support, AND IT IS. But decent support for a Nintendo console is in no way going to rival the spanning library of PC. In no way whatsoever.

And no, GPD will not necessarily be the best portable ever made. It will run some games better than any other portable that exists, but other games it might not run as well. But whether it does or doesn't is completely irrelevant. What's important is that it runs games at least as well as Switch or in the general ballpark, but has a spanning library of 3rd party games and is pocket portable. Is that better? It depends who you ask and what they value most.

I haven't changed my tune one note. I stand by everything I said and I do not change my views. But liking Switch doesn't mean I can't like other consoles too, and you seem to think that because I like another console and acknowledge what it has to offer, that suddenly means I hate the Switch. Its ridiculous. How does acknowledging this console has far more third party games than Switch ever will, how does that suddenly mean I've changed my views on Switch getting great support? Which by the way, I never thought it was getting great support, except relative to the Wii U and within the context of being a Nintendo platform. Even then I have said from day one I want to see more games. MORE GAMES. I've been complaining when I see other games go to other systems and not Switch.

But even if I hadn't, saying I'm thankful for the support Switch is getting doesn't suddenly warp reality into the Twilight Zone and mean I have no interest in other games. It doesn't suddenly mean I'm delusional to the point that I think every single game out there will come to Switch. In fact I specifically stated that even at its best, Switch will never get more than a portion of 3rd party games other consoles get. You expect me to just stick my head in the sand like an ostrich and pretend all these third-party games the GPD Win 2 will offer are suddenly on Switch?

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Tales of Vesperia, NSMBU, Dark Souls, Diablo 3, Xenoblade 2 Torna
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

MsJubilee

Man i regret buying Volgarr The Viking and Count Lucanor on Switch. Both are games that could'ave been good,but aren't. Disappointed in these games and in myself for buying them.

Edited on by MsJubilee

I've died. There is no more me

It is the heavens that have defeated you. This is their will.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH I never said you cant like other consoles.

In fact I encourage it, always have and will, because the best gaming experience is not found from just one device. If it ever is, then God help us in terms of pricing because uuugggghhhh $599 PS3 again would be the case.

But this is the thing. Yes GPD Win will have the entirety of Steam on there, within reason. That also comes with the err.....the you know. Crap. The Unfiltered.

On one hand I'd love to have a GPD Win 2 thingy. I'm sure it'd be great. BUT If I get a game on Steam I'll also have it on my PC at that point and well then I basically have a less immediate Nintendo Switch. A portable option that plays games well, and a stationary option that does Max Settings.

Downside is total cost would be....around £2000. I mean it'd be a great experience but....damn.

If you remember my expectations for Nintendo Switch were far, far below Wii U. When I had hands on with it in January I came away "Meh" from that. Only recently has the potential of the system been shown but in seeing that potential I can't help but be realistic and see....limitations.

Some ports will be great. Some will be bad. In future some games will be downgraded heavily, some wont. I hope more stick to not heavy downgrades.

Ideally, Switch 2 will surpass the GPD and provide more of an Xbox One experience on a TV (If they stick with this idea anyway...cant say with Nintendo's sometimes dumb desire to do something new repeatedly). My fear is we wont get a Switch 2 but something else new and out there.

Looking to the future I do see ports becoming harder, I do see third party support of current games actually shrinking, if only a little, when it comes to ports from PS4 and the soon-successors to those systems, and that is worrying me a little, but then I see the history of Nintendo and I realise...this is an idea that wont stick around.

I feel the GPD Win is a little too early and Switch is a little too late. It's frustrating because as we move forward, we will the GPD Win with its high price and potential issues, and Switch with it's low specs and lack of support.

I honestly don't think either can win, not with PS5 on the horizon by 2020.

NLI Discord:

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills

Well this was never about "winning". GPD is a niche product for a niche market. Always has been. The device has been around for years. They aren't trying to break into the console market or the handheld market. They're doing what they've always done by selling a cool pc-based gaming handheld to the small audience who's interested.

And I love it. Absolutely love it. It looks like it's an incredible device and I am absolutely stoked to play DOOM on it. But it probably won't be the best option for any other game that makes it to Switch. Skyrim Will definitely look better on Switch (GPD is only running the vanilla version), it has motion controls, amiibo content, and TV and portable console integration on a system level. This will probably be the case for 99% of games that are on both systems. Switch is gonna be the better choice, for reasons mentioned above. The only reason DOOM runs better I think is because of Vulcan. They couldn't even get it to run using OpenGL. So that's going to be the exception more than the rule. But again, the excitement doesn't come from playing the same games Switch has, it comes from all the other games Switch doesn't have. But hey, if there's a few that actually run better on GPD that were known for having low resolution on Switch... even better.

At the end of the day, nothing has changed. But as a handheld loving gamer who has been dreaming about playing GameCube and Wii games on a handheld for the better part of 10 years... this is a dream come true. I was hoping Nintendo would do it by simply releasing virtual console on switch and my backup plan was if they didn't then I would wait until they hack the system. And I would still prefer to have those games running on switch if possible but... beggars can't be choosers, and if it takes another device to do it then so be it. I'll just have to buy a bigger case that can fit both Switch and GPD Win2 inside.

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH Rumour is virtual console is coming to Switch as they have added Just In Time management to the OS for memory, which is a feature used in all emulators due to the nature of having the CPU in a system compiled code meant for an emulated device in real time, hence the name Just in Time.

So yeah, emulators are a thing on the system.

NLI Discord:

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills
We know they're coming. But my guess is it's just going to be lame NES games and if we're lucky, and I mean really lucky....SNES.

They seem to be on that whole "online classics" nonsense. Nobody wants to play 8-bit NES games with online. At least I know I don't. And I'm not even sure we'll have the opportunity to buy them to own, or if they will stay exclusive to the membership. If I can't buy them to own, I'm not interested. Not really interested in NES anyways, aside from a very short list of exceptions (notably, Super Mario Bros 3- the Mega Man games we're getting from Capcom). So there is quite literally only one single game I'm interested in for the NES from Nintendo. Like really, truly interested in.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Knuckles-Fajita

@JaxonH Yeah but now we know they are coming sooner than we thought given the management software for emulators is now part of the OS.

NLI Discord:

SKTTR

EvilLucario wrote:

Nintendo put out a news post on the Switch saying what the best selling Switch games of 2017 are four days ago. The list is as follows:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
4. Splatoon 2
5. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
6. ARMS
7. 1-2-Switch
8. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
9. Stardew Valley
10. Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
11. Sonic Mania
12. Pokkén Tournament DX
13. Super Bomberman R
14. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
15. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
16. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
17. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
18. Puyo Puyo Tetris
19. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
20. Overcooked: Special Edition

I bet close follow-ups are Rocket League, FIFA 18, Fire Emblem Warriors, DOOM, Golf Story, SteamWorld Dig 2, Oceanhorn, Snake Pass, and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

I think Human Fall Flat is the next indie game with megaseller potential.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Eagle9

Is there something wrong with the Switch eShop cause error code when try to connect.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Grumblevolcano

@Eagle9 Nintendo servers probably couldn't handle how many people were getting Switch today. I was able to access the Switch eshop around 5 hours ago but can't now.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eagle9

Heh, yep of course

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

DarthNocturnal

Yeah, I got a $35 prepaid card, but I'll wait a bit (like, tonight or tomorrow) before trying to buy anything with it.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

PikPi

Considering their servers crippled with wii u Christmas purchase, I can't imagine the damage the amount of switches must be doing.

Got axiom verge special edition as a surprise from the bf. I love it!

PikPi

DarthNocturnal

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition here. I think I'm actually more excited for the latter over the former, for whatever reason...

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Lroy

Mario Odyssey, Arms, Pro Controller and the DLC pack for Snipper Clips all opened today! Also got the Sega Arcade Classics Volume 1 book from Hardcore Gaming 101 and a cool videogame quiz card game among other gaming related goodies. Not had a chance to get action on anything though yet as my son has been playing Rocket League against his new Switch owning cousin and playing Mario Odyssey non-stop. He's having a fantastic day, lol!

Merry Christmas all 👍

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

Knuckles-Fajita

Got Morphite on Switch. My only Switch related gift this year.

NLI Discord:

SKTTR

Got chocolate and hugs and stuff.

For my dog I got a shelter. She got very comfortable in there crumbling lots of snacks and emitting billions of white winterfur.

Umm, yeah I got all my christmas presents early, sorry was a bad kid. Destiny bound to do evil things every day.
Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, L.A. Noire, DOOM, Super Mario Odyssey... ripped them out of the giftwraps to play them Day 1.

That was my actual number one Christmas wish. To play all these games. Before christmas. Day one.

This Is The Police was an actual present though. Thank you, whoever sent this to me!

backloggery.com/SKTTR

JaxonH

Merry Christmas!

Gave my brother Skyrim, DOOM, Mario Rabbids and Resident Evil Revelations Collection for Switch. I thought that was a pretty impressive gift given the total value... but my brother got me a freaking Occulus Rift for Christmas... wow! He's been raving about it ever since he got one, says it's way better than PSVR. I was hooking it up but realized I only had one HDMI port on the back of my computer and I was using that to run to my television. So I'm waiting on an order for a DVI to HDMI adapter before I can actually finish setting it up.

@NEStalgia
Thought I might tag you on this since you seem to like VR

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.