Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,881 to 22,900 of 35,583

JaxonH

@Tsurii
Are you getting Octopath Traveller?

That game looks fantastic. I played the demo and it's good, as expected. I love the art style. It's great having throwback JRPG's like Lost Sphear (which I have the physical edition pre-ordered through the Square Enix online store), but Octopath Traveller actually makes forward progress in breathing new life into the classic JRPG formula. They should have been making RPG's like this along time ago.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

The talk about Octopath Traveler in this thread and the 2018 thread reminded me that I can actually download the demo now that I don't have to worry about running out of memory space.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Nintendo needs to tell us what's up with 2018 come January. I love this system more than any system I've ever owned and I want games on it. And unlike Wii U, this time there's a huge appeal to having 3rd party games. I want as many as they can bring.

I've always been OK with Nintendo systems being strictly for the exclusives. I mean, why would it matter? If I can just play those games on another console then what's the point? But with Switch it's a different story. For the first time ever I want to see all the third-party games on Nintendo's platform. Because it means not only getting an HD handheld version of those games but a hybrid version... no... a tribrid version, with an integration so slick you don't even need features like cross save. Why would anyone want to play a game on any other system? I mean, I guess if you are going to play the game at home, having better graphics is nice. And modern voice chat features (man Nintendo is so behind with this, it would be comical if not for being so insulting). But even then I feel like I would rather sacrifice those benefits in favor of a game that looks reasonably close and can be played anywhere, even in luxurious tabletop mode with real controllers in hand. At least, if I had to choose. The ideal scenario is to just get it on both Switch/X1X.

Anyways, I'm ready for the games. They need to arm this system to the teeth with em. And I know Nintendo is slowly rebuilding trust with third parties and it's not going to happen overnight, and in reality this is going to be a very gradual process that takes years... but I can't help but want it all.

Give me my Valkyria Chronicles 4, SMT5, Street Fighter Collection, Dragon Quest XI, Bayonetta 1/2, Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Metroid Prime and a gosh dang Monster Hunter... and I think I'll breathe a little easier. But aside from that Nintendo themselves needs to bring the games. We need Pikmin 4. We need Retro's new IP. We need Luigi's Mansion. We need Sin & Punishment (what has Treasure been working on, anyways?). We need Mario Maker. We need Donkey Kong Country! We need an F-Zero game. Even if it's a remaster of GX. And we need more complex, in depth games from 1st party studios. Zelda is good. Xenoblade and Fire Emblem is good. Metroid is good. And I am hoping Retro's new IP will also be good. But aside from that, there's really not much. And they should make that a focal point moving forward. Big, complex adventures that you can get lost in. I need at least one or two of those from N every year.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

ljr3434

Is this an ok place to ask a switch question or do I need to start my own thread? Bought my 8 year old son a switch and I am new to this and have a couple questions. Thanks.

ljr3434

Spoony_Tech

@ljr3434 Ask away!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

ljr3434

I bought my 8 year old son a switch for his birthday and do not know much about them besides the videos and info from online. I saw this forum and thought it might be the best place to get specific answers to my questions. I noticed the connectivity issue to WIFI right away, and actually can not get it to connect to my router. Cant remember exactly what it says the issue is, something about not a match or something. I can tether it to my phone with the WIFI, so that is what I did. I bought him NBA 2k18, and got the micro sd card also. I have spent almost 5 hours trying to do the initial software update so we can play the entire game, we are still only 33% complete. This seems crazy, and I have never experienced this with the WII or XBOX One. Is there something im missing or not aware of.

ljr3434

EvilLucario

@ljr3434 I personally don't know. I (finally) got my Switch two days ago, and I've personally had no issues connecting to Wi-Fi, but for wired I have no clue.

If you haven't, you may want to try resetting your router if that works?

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@ljr3434 Using a phone to dl that much data is never ideal. I can only imagine how long it would take me to dl that on my phone. NBA 2k is one of the biggest dl's so even with a decent connection you're looking at about 2 hours or so.

Is your router far away from the system? That could be the issue as it does seem the Switches signal to receive Wi-Fi is rather short range. Also try resetting the router and also fully powering down the Switch before connecting again. Sometimes shutting off the system helps in certain instances.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

EvilLucario

Not to mention that without an unlimited data plan, your costs would most likely go through the roof.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

gcunit

@ljr3434 It sounds like, in the short term, a LAN adapter to plug into your Switch dock, would be a useful investment for downloading large files. As I understand it, you don't need a 'Switch' LAN adapter, any USB adapter will do. Look for a well reviewed one on Amazon maybe.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

antster1983

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. Not just a Who compilation album, but a fair description of Super Meat Boy. Coming to Nintendo Switch on 11th January 2018, with a new Race Mode (they claim it's something they wanted to do since the game was first released).

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

kobashi100

YummyHappyPills wrote:

The only readon im happy the Switch itself doesnt handle voice chat is because of resources.

If the systems wifi chips had to stream not only the game but a voice stream as well, thats more load for the system. If you route it via a seperate device, thats one less strain for the Switch so it can send the game data.

Now the other benefit is actually RAM.

So we know that the Switch can seemingly only just record video by keeping a constant 30 second buffer in RAM at all times. Imagine loading in another part of the OS to do voice chat too on an OS Level.

Streaming the game, streaming voice via OS, keeping that video buffer at all times. And keeping the game running locally. Its a lot.

Heck its obvious some games wont get video recording because...well some of them cant free up the RAM to do it.

Plus, and lets be honest here, he uses the PS4 built in voice stuff? Anyone? 3DS? DS? Xbox One?

Who uses...I dunno. Skype. Discord. Anything else?

Because just as is the case with the Switch solution, thpse are better than the console options

The original xbox handheld voice chat and OS with just 64MB of ram.

The idea that the switch would struggle is laughable.

Nintendo just wanted to be different. Nothing to do with resource. They had a bogus idea should have never been signed off.

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

Octane

@kobashi100 I think you meant 64MB!

Anyway, the DS could do voice chat as well, and it only had 4MB(!) of RAM.

Octane

zitpig

Yeah, the whole voicechat argument is BS.

zitpig

kobashi100

Octane wrote:

@kobashi100 I think you meant 64MB!

Anyway, the DS could do voice chat as well, and it only had 4MB(!) of RAM.

Yeah I edited that post

The whole switch and resource argument about available ram for voice chat definitely needs to be put to bed

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

JaxonH

Holy crap this gpd win 2! Switch has met it's match.

DOOM with higher res textures than Switch and at 45 fps (mind, this was using Vulcan, even they said it wouldn't run on OpenGL so this is an exception more than the rule... most games will have to be 7th gen or less demanding). Gta5, Fallout 4, Overwatch all looking really good, although some tweaking to the settings might be in order. Fallout 4 runs in the 20's with vanilla settings, but totally playable. This thing smokes.

http://forum.gpd.hk/t190-gpd-win-a-handheld-game-console-that...

GTAV

DOOM

Fallout 4

Xenoblade Chronicles

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

I've read it will cost $700 for non backers, and $600 for those who back in the indigogo campaign in January. But before anyone says something these guys have a proven track record with the first GPD win and they've already floated this new one into the wild, which is how we got these videos. It's legit.

That also means it's not going to be competing with Switch in any way. It's priced outside of that sweet spot so this will be for enthusiasts only. But for those of us who are enthusiasts... holy macaroni! It looks like Dolphin is a go too. Xenoblade Chronicles is running on super high settings. There's no way MH could run, but with low PC settings and a mod to tone it down, and with some tinkered BIOS settings to overclock... It's possible... one day. Might have to wait for GPD Win 3 for that. Cause Witcher 3 wasn't able to run. It took a mod to get it up into the low 20's for framerate, a barely playable state.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

PikPi

Man, that is pretty sweet looking. I would want something similar to that design if Nintendo ever decides to do a Switch-portable with a clamshell design to protect the screen

PikPi

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH My favourite outcome for F-Zero would be the same as this year's Metroid treatment. F-Zero X remaster for 3DS and a GX style game in the future for Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano

I wanted F-Zero X in 3D for so long... but now I'm kinda past the 3DS. Would still take it though, especially in 3D.

But screw it. We can just run F-Zero GX on GPD Win 2 now! Screw the nonsense, right?!

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic