Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 15,761 to 15,780 of 70,081

Octane

@rallydefault So that's about $63.6 (€54), for a big game. It's €60 over here and digital prices are guaranteed to be €60. Digital is the most expensive option. Retailers will often undercut the price and I get most of my games for around €52. That's the lowest I can find new games for on day one. The US prices for games are cheaper on paper, but the European market is a little more flexible, so if you look hard enough, you can find some good deals over here. Of course this only happens if there is enough stock. So any big Switch game is not going for less than €60. Not a big issue, but that also means that accessories and the console itself can be more expensive than the MSRP.

So, provided it's not a rare item, it's not all that bad. For example, I pre-ordered (and I know that works differently in the US too*) Uncharted Lost Legacy for €32 today, €8 less than the €40 MSRP.

*Pre-orders are free of any additional costs. You just pay the price up front and you get the game delivered on the day of release (or even before in some cases).

Octane

Azooooz

@OorWullie I agree. Best experience is the first time you do it.

@NaviAndMii I don't see any kind of deficiency in my left Joy-Con, so I think I'll be ok with this one.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

NEStalgia

@Ralizah IIRC Gamestop is the Gamestop of the UK. Game is the even WORSE version.

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

So with Dragon Quest XI being announced for localisation in 2018 and being released tomorrow in Japan, there is one lingering question.

Where the actual hell is that Switch version?

We dont know what versions are being localised but safe bet its PS4 only as the 3DS in the West in 2018 is iffy at best.

But the Switch version is....well...vaporware.

Im betting its cancelled because at this point the game is out already and theyve said its coming West. That pretty much ends the games cycle in the market.

And if its true that they didnt want the Switch to overshadow two seperate versions of the game....then the same would hold for the west. So if THATS true then we might not see it until 2019!

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Luna_110

@BLP_Software
I don't think it's cancelled, but I do think it will come later and that DQ XI is a timed exclusive for PS4. Kind of what happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider, except they're not dumb enough to say it out front and get so much backlash.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Haruki_NLI

@Luna_110 Timed exclusive....to PS4 AND 3DS?

Thos whole situation is weird but given the "Adult situation" they cant talk about and how more and more companies are pledging Switch support but only if it doesnt go to PS4 too...has me concerned.

There are two constants: It doesnt go to Switch but is multiplatform on PS4 and others, or its Switch exclusive.

And this is a weird situation because as we are told third party support is good and the fruits are slowly appearing....it also shows signs of being none existent. And that is worrying because us as consumers dont know where we stand.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ryu_Niiyama

I can see the switch version getting a worldwide release in 2018 and Squenix will act like they planned it that way all along.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Luna_110

@BLP_Software
The 3DS isn't a direct competitor to the PS4 - the 3DS versión will sell either way. But if the Japanese had the same (similar, at least) version of DQ XI and had to choose between PS4 and Switch? The Switch would take the lion's share due to portability.
That's why I think Sony could have made it a timed exclusive, they want to sell well in Japan, as well as they can without portability.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Octane

Plot twist: The Switch version is a 3DS port.

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane Oh that's mean.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Maxz

@Luna_110 It's interesting, because while the 3DS isn't a direct competitor to the PS4, the Switch is in some respects a competitor to both of them by its hybrid nature.

There's an argument that even Nintendo stands to gain from a delayed Switch version if it results in higher total sales between the 3DS and Switch versions. Anyone who'se seen the Direct knows that an awful lot of effort has been put into the 3DS version to make it a unique title, rather than just a downgraded version of the PS4 title. A lot of the marketing around the game has been pushing the nostalgia/anniversary angle, and the 3DS version's big selling point is that it lets you play the game in top-down, classic RPG mode with random battles and retro visuals. It's also got a whole load of other 3DS specific features like Streetpass functionality, and obviously, the two screens.

It's possible that both Square Enix and Nintendo (and Sony) stand to gain from letting the 3DS version get at much breathing room as possible. Currently, it will be the way to play the game on the go, as well as the only way to get all the 3DS exclusive features.

The Switch version, if and when it does release, is likely to be a lot closer to the PS4 game than the 3DS. But its portability undoubtably means it would eat into the 3DS sales if released at the same time, and be seen by many as the 'superior' portable version, despite all the work that has been put into making the 3DS version special (essentially building two games in one).

If the Switch version is released at a later date and takes the form of a more graphically modest PS4 game, then there's a chance it'll find its own niche in allowing 'the console version; on the go', without significantly eating into either of the 'console' version or the 'on the go' version's sales.

After putting so much work into the 3DS version, I can imagine SqEnix wouldn't want it being overshadowed by a Switch version which can rival it on portability and beat it in power.

So yeah, I'm not sure who stands the most to gain, but there are arguments from Sony, Square, and - if the eventual combined sales of both 3DS and Switch versions end up higher this way - even Nintendo as to why releasing the Switch version simultaneously would not be a good idea.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

JaxonH

@rallydefault
Man, you really need to get in on this Gamers Club Unlocked through BestBuy.

Rather than pay $100 for 1 year of Prime, and only get discounts on most games and they must be a preorder, GCU costs $30 for 2 years of membership (so, basically $15/yr) and you get discounts on all games, even after release- years even- the discount never expires, plus it works with amiibo, and with game/season pass editions, and with game/controller bundles, and.... you get an additional 5% back if you use their credit card (so worth it), aaaaand, major releases like Super Mario Odyssey, FIFA 18 and NBA 2k18 get a special offer of $10 back in rewards for preordering. Not to mention you get $5 back per $125 spent via double reward points (which is another 4% back). And if you're an Elite Member (spend $1500 in a year) or Elite Plus Member (spend $3500 in a year) you get even more back, plus free shipping on all purchases (free expedited for Elite Plus), among other perks. I stay Elite Plus, always, for the last 5 years running.

I'm effectively getting Super Mario Odyssey for $33.19 day one. Same for FIFA 18. Same for NBA 2k18. Everything else, it's $43.19 day one. $40 games are effectively $28.79 day one. It's kinda hard not to buy any and every good game day one with prices like that. Membership can be purchased and activated online- no need to ever step foot in a store.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gamers-club-unlocked-2-year-membe...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

BLP_Software wrote:

Heres a diagram of my former local GAME store layout. See why Nintendo isnt hot here.

It's nowhere near as anti-Nintendo here. This is what a typical EBGames layout looks like here. It might not be 100% because I'm doing it from memory and I obviously tend to wander around some parts of the store more than others.
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

-Green-

I only downloaded it for SplatNet2 tbh.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

IceClimbers

I wonder how many Switch owners even know the app exists? Or that the online becomes paid starting sometime next year?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

KirbyTheVampire

@skywake EB Games does seem to have quite a bit of Nintendo stuff, at least compared to a lot of other places. I hadn't been in an EB Games for years, but when I went to one to check out the PS4 selection recently, I was surprised by how much Nintendo stuff they had.

KirbyTheVampire

Reginald

I can corroborate that. EB Games is filled to the brim with Nintendo-related merchandise, among other collectibles like Pop figures. Conversely, I rarely see merchandise of games on other platforms, and when I do, it's very minimal.

I guess Nintendo characters are just more marketable.

Reginald

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic