Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 15,781 to 15,800 of 69,995

skywake

@KirbyTheVampire @Reginald
It happens across the board here with gaming related stuff which is why I was surprised when people were saying Game in the UK was so one sided. Every physical retailer I can think of that sells games here splits the shelf space up super evenly. Except for merch/Amiibos where they often give Nintendo a bit of extra room and for PC gaming which in some stores is ignored entirely.

The only place I can think of where Nintendo is shafted at all here are with giftcard stands. Every shop that has a giftcard stand will pretty much always have Sony/MS related cards. Both in-store credit and subscriptions. Very few have eShop credit.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NaviAndMii

I've taken to MS Paint (R.I.P ) to draw up a (very crude) layout of my local GAME (UK) store - I don't think Nintendo really get shafted where I live...perhaps I'm just lucky?

Untitled

Obviously, the Nintendo stuff includes 3DS, 2DS, Amiibo, pre-owned WiiU/DS games and whatever Switch stuff is actually in stock! ..whereas the Xbox and PlayStation sections are mostly wall-to-wall X1/PS4 (with a bit of 360/PS3/Vita thrown in) - but I think the store has a decent balance..

It's PC that really gets shafted - I've taken to Steam to get all of my PC games because my local GAME store is so unreliable with PC stock...even if a big game comes out on PC, it's basically 50/50 whether my local GAME will actually stock it or not - so I just go digital these days rather than risk a wasted trip..

More generally, I'd say that local giftcard stands where I live are pretty much as @skywake described - the average stand in the average shop/supermarket will usually have credit for PS, Xbox, Netflix, Amazon etc - but it's probably about 50/50 whether it'll have Nintendo eShop credit or not...fortunately, I have at least a couple of shops nearby that do - and GAME (a bit further afield) as an option as well - but I'd imagine that people in other parts of the country might not be so lucky...

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

SLIGEACH_EIRE

The Nintendo Switch could have a problem come this holiday according to analyst

https://www.neowin.net/news/the-nintendo-switch-could-have-a-...

http://wccftech.com/wedbush-nintendo-switch-caution-price-sup...

http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-wont-gain-market-share-due-to-...

I shouldn't really be giving the muppet Pachter any publicity. He may be right about some things in the article but his prediction that Super Mario Odyssey will sell 12 million is nonsense. He reckons the Switch will sell 10 million this year and that SMO will have at least 1:1 attach ratio. He's not talking over its lifetime either.

Super Mario Galaxy in its lifetime didn't sell that much and it was lauded as one of and in some places the greatest game of all time. And it was on a system that sold 100 million units. The Wii was cheaper and games seem to me were €10 cheaper too.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Aaron00

Galaxy sold 12 million. I could see Odyssey selling that too. You have to remember, the Wii was a very different system. Everyone had one, even people who aren't gamers. Old people, people who just got Wii Sports, people who bought more then one. There's a lot of reasons the Wii sold 100 million, and it definitely wasn't Mario Galaxy. (Not to say it's not a good game, it is) I can't see the Switch passing 100 million IMO @SLIGEACH_EIRE

Aaron00

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Aaron09 Galaxy didn't sell 12 million. It sold just under 11 and a half million. That was over its lifetime. Pachter's talking like SMO will sell 12 million in this financial year alone.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Octane

What's more important is the attach rate. Odyssey will likely have a higher attach rate on the Switch than Galaxy had on the Wii. 12 million this year alone is bogus.

And if Nintendo is going to have any problems this holiday season, it's going to be stock issues. Even if the Xbox One gets a temporary price cut, I think Nintendo will easily sell through all its stock. They can't even keep up with the current demand, let alone the holiday demand. And I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Yeah, this holiday is going to be paradise for scalpers both in the form of Switch and SNES Mini.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I expect Switch to be at 10 million by the end of March 2018. Could do more, but stock will hold it back to 10m. And I'm going to say at least 1 out of every 2 Switch owners will buy Mario Odyssey, possibly more. So 5m is pretty much guaranteed. Maybe it could do 6m-7m.

It may hit 12 in it's lifetime though.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

GrailUK

@Tsurii Mario is going to have an obscene attach rate! It's a fair assumption that Switches going in to 2018 will be bundled with the game soo...it's not delusional. Granted it's quite an ambitious target, but not impossible if they can sort out the Switch parts problem.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

OorWullie

You just have to look at the total sales of all the big games so far in such a short amount of time to see its very possible Odyssey could achieve these numbers.

At the end of June BOTW had sold 3.92m,MK8D 3.54m and ARMS after only 2 weeks on sale had shifted 1.18m . 4 weeks later those numbers will be even higher. By this time next month Splatoon 2 will likely be pushing 2.5m if not more. By the end of the financial year Odyssey will have been out for around 6 months so if there are 12 million Switch's out in the wild you can bet it will be close to 10m. As will BOTW and MK8D .

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Octane

@OorWullie Well, the issue is that those numbers come from Nintendo directly, and while software is abundant, hardware isn't. So the attach rate seem higher than they are.

If they manage to sell 12 million Switches to customers by the end of the fiscal year, I highly doubt Odyssey is able to sell 10 million. 6-8 at most probably. The reason why Zelda's attach rate was so high was because there was (almost) no other reason to buy a Switch. Who was going to buy a Switch day one and not get Zelda? Very few. That situation will be different this holiday season, not everyone will be picking up a Switch for Mario. And not every current Switch owner will buy Mario.

Octane

skywake

So we're talking 10 mill sales for a game after ~35 weeks right? Yeah that is a bit crazy. Here are a few recent-ish non-bundled games that managed to hit that target.... not the full list....

18mill - GTA5 (PS3)
15mill - New SMB Wii
14mill - Wii Sports Resort
14mill - Pokemon Sun/Moon
14mill - GTA5 (360)
11mill - Mario Kart Wii
11mill - Pokemon X/Y

Is it possible? Sure. Technically it's possible for the game to hit 10mill units in that short a period of time. I don't think the attach rate would be that outlandish either given the sort of audience the Switch is attracting and how well it's doing. But it is still a pretty bold prediction.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

KirbyTheVampire

Odyssey will undoubtedly be a success, but there's no way it's selling 12 million by the end of the year, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

StuTwo

There's no chance (none whatsoever) that Mario will sell 10 million copies this year. Over the lifetime of the Switch? Maybe - but certainly not this year.

I think we all forget that 3D platformers are complex enough to put off a significant percentage of console owners and sufficiently sugar coated to put off another significant percentage. Plus some Switch owners that do want it won't have the budget for it! Mario will sell well but anything more than a 50% attach rate is unrealistic.

In fact we maybe forget how exceptional it is for any game to have an attach rate of more than 50% (at least by the time the console has sold upwards of 10 million units). Very few games in the history of the industry have actually managed an attach rate higher than 25%!

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Aaron00

Oh, I thought it was 12. My bad. I can't see it selling 12 million in this year alone, but can see it Hitting that number by the end Switch's lifetime. @SLIGEACH_EIRE

Aaron00

Haruki_NLI

We also said Xenoblade 2 landing this year and 2 Metroid games being announced was unrealistic. And ARMS doing what it did, or MK8D? The Switch is full of illogical sales.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

@BLP_Software It's kind of hilarious that even ARMS is going to outsell SFV.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NaviAndMii

Just for comparison, Breath of the Wild has so far sold 4.13 million copies worldwide on Switch and WiiU combined (3.07 million on Switch) ..it'd be a tall order for Mario Odyssey to reach 12 million any time soon - especially as limited supply means that 'only' 4.26 million Switch's have been sold globally so far - people won't buy games for a console that they don't/can't own!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano In significantly less time.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

It's weird, because the biggest complaint of SFV was that it lacked a proper story mode, and that it only came with 16 characters at launch...

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic