Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 11,961 to 11,980 of 12,497

-Green-

Meowpheel wrote:

I dunno, but "hugging" behind a curtain leaves little to the imagination.

Good point. Which game was that from again?

The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Meowpheel

Zelda II.

The one where Link killed a bunch of royal guards to get the triforce of courage so he could wake up an ancient Princess Zelda for no particular reason.

Then they immediately proceed to make out.

Edited on by Meowpheel

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

rallydefault

So I decided to go ahead and "beat" the game today even though I'm missing a few things. (I'm definitely going to go back and do it again after finding everything now lol)

Anyway, my final thoughts: I love this game. I know I'm going to put dozens of more hours into it, especially with the DLC.

But overall, I hope this style of Zelda is a once-and-done. That we'll forever remember BotW as the "open world" Zelda and not the new direction for the series.

I REALLY miss the progression of the old Zeldas. Of finding new pieces of equipment in big, themed dungeons. I mean, I'll always remember getting the Mirror Shield in Ocarina or the classic bow in Link to the Past. And those feelings are missing in this game, at least for me. And even though the 4 dungeons in this game (not a spoiler, right?) are pretty cool and do have a couple good puzzles, I think they pale in comparison to the bigger, themed dungeons of Zeldas past.

I also don't necessarily find anything wrong with a bit more a guided experience. And since I replayed Ocarina recently, I kind of disagree that it is heavily "guided." Yes, you tackle the dungeons in a specific order, but other than that, there's tons of exploring and back-and-forth that you can do. Lots of options. It's definitely not hand holding, which people seem eager to accuse it of now.

Anyway, just my thoughts! Thanks for reading!

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Haru17

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Tsurii wrote:

are you talking about those sparkly clouds of bugs? I feel like those might be Korok related but I have no idea what you are even supposed to do with them if they are...

Octane wrote:

No. I know what you're talking about, but I don't think they're Korok related either. I've seen them everywhere.

Haru17 wrote:

Yeah, the fake clouds of dragonflies bugged me too. Like the little white bugs, they're only an effect that fades as you get closer, not actual NPCs and items.

@Tsurii @Octane @Haru17 Y'all might want to be taking a second look (I hope you remember where you've seen them!)...

We are talking about a separate visual effect. I'm sitting at 350-something Koroks — the Korok cloud effect is completely different to the tiny white bug cloud and fake dragonfly swarm effects. Unless you're talking about those in particular, and not just mistaking them for the green-white cloud of leaves that plays the obvious Korok noise.

Zelda: Has goat, is GOAT.

DarthNocturnal

Meowpheel wrote:

Zelda II.

The one where Link killed a bunch of royal guards to get the triforce of courage so he could wake up an ancient Princess Zelda for no particular reason.

Eternal non-death sleep doesn't sound like much fun.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Haru17

@Maxz And therein lies the truest failing of Breath of the Wild. Its puzzles are not as well made as past 3D Zelda games, and it fails to embrace the 'go anywhere, do everything' maxim it was market with even while the game director is opining at GDC about players being 'active' in the game, or whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

I've tried deer, I've tried bears, I've tried the fat horse, I've tried some other cool creatures that I won't spoil and none of them work with the stable system (well actually it accepts the fat horse only to later deny you the ability to change its saddle, bridle, or mane for no apparent reason). These creatures are mountable in the game for no other reason than a single shrine quest and a useless, overpowered horse. If they had been allowed to be stabled they would have been meaningful character customization, but no, screw you, use a horse. You can't have your cake and eat it too, Breath of the Wild.

yokokazuo

@DreamyViridi it can be found in the library, specifically 2 papers that list some ingredients. I'd recommend screenshotting themso you can remember what they are. I believe just one ingredient is needed, but the second also gives a reward.

My backloggery
Fire Emblem Heroes ID: Canada 1340189847 Japan 7649035181
Fire Emblem Fates My Castle Address: 18070-29881-52164-62553
Splatoon rank: S+
Japanese Nintendo Network ID: NagoyaKazuo
3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664

Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Maxz

@Haru17 I think the puzzles are the best in any Zelda game ever, by an incredibly long stretch. I've played every 3D Zelda (often multiple times), as well as nearly every 2D one, and no other game has given me half as many 'aha' moments as this one. I've never felt so much satisfaction, and often elation, at solving anything in the old dungeons, let alone been awestruck by the sheer ingenuity of their overall structure and design. Looking back over most of the series, I don't have a much more glowing impression of the dungeons than drab, dingy places, where your interaction with the environment wasn't much more sophisticated than shooting the occasional eye and standing on the occasional switch. I suppose there were more 'key items' to use, like that neat mechanical spinning top thing that got used, like, once, but I've found the runes have been much more dynamic, imaginative, and downright fun to use for the most part. I'll have to give some of the old games another look after this (it's been a while since I played Majora's Mask) because I'm probably being unfair, but those are the impressions I'm left with. I'd say the biggest flaw is that the shrines aren't 25-50% longer, because what's there is often so good. Swap out a few of the combat shrines and blessings for real ones, add an extra room/stage to nearly every one, and I'd be struggling to say anything negative about them at all.

It's also the most 'go anywhere, do anything' game I've ever played in my narrow gaming life, by an incredibly long stretch, and obviously the most in a Zelda game.

Anyway, are you saying the You Know Who Horse doesn't serve a purpose beyond being a Magical You Know Who Horse? Because that's all I really want to know. I don't mind particularly, either way (though it'd be nice if the game gave me a clever sticker in return for the stamina carrot cake I wolfed down to tame it). If so, I'll just blow up all its friends next time I go up the mountain and save myself the carrot cake expenditure. I like that the Blupees have some sort of spiritual guardian, and two whole area is quite a spectacular to behold. The fact you can ride it is a nice bonus, but it's a pity if there's nothing beyond that.

As far as 'truest failings' go, however, it seems like a pretty minor one. As for docking the another animals, well... what's the point? You're only ever going to take out whatever animal in the stable has the best stats anyway, so turning it into a menagerie is a pointless exercise. The main positive about riding wild animals is that they provide you with an alternative steed if you're out in the wilderness miles away from an actual stable. If you then took them to an stable and docked them, the next time you could access them would be at a stable, at which point you wouldn't need them anymore, because you'd have access to your horse instead - the preciously animal would just sit there for the novelty of having a bear it whatever in your stable. I don't get the appeal.

So I don't agree with you on anything you've written whatsoever. Which is... thorough at least.

Anyway, I didn't come here to get all flustered about bears. I basically came to say that I'm not sure if I should finally fight Big G himself. I've now got the Sword and the four Beasts are under control, but I basically don't want to end it! I've been procrastinating by clearling out my side-quests list, but now that's starting to shrink to ones that involve going inside the castle. I mean, it should be a cake walk so zi'm not sure why I'm scared about it; I've upgraded by Guadian Resist armour to the max, got 24 hearts (and a lot of heart boosting food), an entire page of deadly weapons, 23 ancient arrows and a stack of OP bows to fire them from, but... I don't want to save Hyrule from destruction just yet.

Anyway, we'll see. At some point I'll have done everyone's odd jobs and will need to get around to saving them and the world from the wrath of the calamity.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly

Haru17

Yeah, I think you're overlooking a fair amount of things to think Breath of the Wild has the best dungeons. And of course he doesn't do anything else — this whole game is a foot deep and a mile wide.

Anyway, I just got a blood moon twice in one night, and then again the next night. Should I reload?

shaneoh

rallydefault wrote:

And since I replayed Ocarina recently, I kind of disagree that it is heavily "guided." Yes, you tackle the dungeons in a specific order, but other than that, there's tons of exploring and back-and-forth that you can do.

I agree with all you're saying, I'll add that even though there's a specific dungeon order some of them can be done out of sync. My brother completed the Fire and Water temple before the Forest temple. He wasn't able to turn back into a child for that time, but it wasn't an issue.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.

JaxonH

@Maxz
Pretty much echo my thoughts exactly.

I've played a lot of Zelda games and I have never... in my life, played one that even remotely made me think the way this one has made me think, or even give me one ha ha moment aha moment (although the same can be said for haha moments too! This game has made me laugh and smile the way no other Zelda has... the way no other game has) the way this game has given me scores of them. Puzzles are natural and logic-based. I love the old Zelda games but, they just don't stand up whatsoever in comparison.

I have not one single complaint with this game. Not one. I like everything about it. Oh I'm sure other people will find certain things they don't like but I can't say anything bad about this game because it's perfect in every way to me. And more importantly, I haven't been this addicted to a video game in about 15 years. Last time a video game made me feel this way was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, which was the first game I really played as an adult, after years of not playing, and it was the first really meaty, involved game I had ever played in my life. I think some of that can probably be attributed to that wow factor of being your first time. But I've been playing games nonstop for years and years now... get that feeling again... now? Is all the more impressive

@rallydefault
Ehhh... I'd be pretty heartbroken if they went back to the previous blueprint after this... I hope we never see Zelda game that's not like this again. At least on consoles/hybrid. I'd totally be OK with a Link Between Worlds type game on a cheap handheld, or as a budget digital release on Switch.

Edited on by JaxonH

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Zelda Breath of the Wild [Switch] ...... Fast Racing RMX [Switch] ...... Nier Automata [PS4] ...... Ghost Recon Wildlands [X1] ...... Metroid Other M [Wii] ...... Dragon Age Origins [PC]

Jesus is Lord.

Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

BLP_Software

So for this shrine to appear Link has to:

1 - Stand on a pedestal
2 - At night
3 - While naked
4 - Under a blood moon

I don't know what frat house this is but...

BLP_Software

Maxz

@Haru17 Yeah, I'd be overlooking the rather crucial point that Breath of the Wild doesn't have dungeons, certainly. The closest thing it has are the Beast interiors, and their macro-scale design and structural malleability set them so far apart from the largely unrelated, room-by-room setup of the earlier 'dungeons' that it's hard to compare.

So I didn't think BotW had the best 'dungeons', nor did I say it, making this post an excercise in spitting out words that have put in my mouth.

What Breath of the Wild does have is - in my opinion - the best puzzles. By a country mile. I gave my feelings on them in the first post; my main fault with them is that they're not longer.

So I don't agree with anything in your first post, and don't agree with what your said I said (but didn't say) in your second.

The only point where I'd differ from @JaxonH is that I wouldn't mind the next Zelda to be completely different from this one, partly because I don't want to wait another 7 years, and partly because the Zelda series has a lot more to offer than any one game can offer, and it seems a shame to waste that retreading the same ground. I find it hard to imagine any Zelda game for a while outdoing Breath at being Breath, and I feel there's turf that Breath couldn't cover by design. I'd like to see more of the tight, socially connected spaces that defined Majora's Mask; the kind of interconnected communal buzz that just can't exist across an expansive, post-apocalyptic wilderness. I'd prefer a game that was a complement to Breath rather than competition to it.

We'll see what the future brings. But for the time being, I've got Breath's Ganon to keep me occupied.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly

Haru17

Soooo, I just finally beat the game and I want to talk about all that buisness. So don't read this if you haven't beaten the game!

Surprisingly enough, Hyrule Castle is the only dungeon in the game that you can approach from all angles like Aonuma talked about in interviews back around when the game was announced. I don't want to have the value question conflated with my points to come, so I'll come right out and say that Breath of the Wild was worth the $450-some I spent to play it, even without having played the DLC. And it's great to be back in the Nintendo ecosystem — 3DS wasn't really enough for me ere those long Wii U years.

However, this is a 3D Zelda game, those games being much different to — and often better than — other titles. (Coincidentally I'm still wavering on whether or not I would call it a game in the Zelda genre as opposed to just the main series, but let's split those hairs after I've had time to ruminate on the ending.)

Spoilers start now: 'Spread too thin' has never been more appropriate. Obviously in a game this big, you do not make a main story that short. Having seen what I confirmed as the full ending ('cause who would know), alone, in a non-disturbing environment, and after re-watching all of the memories, doing all of the dungeons, and even completing every single shrines, I can say that Breath of the Wild's maybe one-hour total collection of cutscenes are almost totally insufficient. Everyone could stand to wait through an at-least 5-minute length memory cutscene after clicking the prompt. A script this short gives you a story all about Zelda not really doing anything and a bunch of peripheral characters that don't matter at all, as well as a bunch of one-on-one scenes with a silent protagonist. (How did no one see that!? They must have known and just been scared of fan reaction or too afraid to voice Link in this story that is absolutely screaming for him to say something — anything.)

They obviously could have done more, but I think the chiefest sins Breath of the Wild's story commits is signposting the end of the game right from the start, killing all of the main characters offscreen before the game began, and finally — suuuper spoilery at this point if you haven't beaten it — not having an antagonist at all. The first thing inherently ruins a plot by taking out any ambiguity as to where it's going or whether any twists will take it elsewhere (they won't). The second takes all stakes out of the plot (remember worrying for Midna at the end of Twilight Princess?) and was used as an excuse not to develop those characters beyond archetypes and a maybe minute of screen time apiece. And the final thing is just obvious: Have Ganon talk. Ganondorf was a good villain because he was imposing, well-shot, and — in Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker — charismatic. Creating a mindless force of evil is just boring and the least creative thing they could have done.

Phew, so about Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon specifically, it could be the strongest Hyrule Castle ever, lmao. I don't get where the weird malice-guardian fusion designs came from, I wouldn't mind them if they talked at some point. It's cool that they explained how the guardians were all stored inside of the pillars beneath Hyrule Castle, and how there's a legless guardian just perched atop one of them and sniping you. They kind of just threw the kitchen sink at it in terms of challenges, with rock enemies and guardians and lynels all. The upper half of the castle and the throne room take major inspiration from Twilight Princess' titular aesthetic, what with black motes rising up into an cloudy, shifting orange sky (I appreciated the nod there). The final / first ever form of Ganon was interesting, but only really served to put a point on how not-really-great the pools of malice looked and how lacking the horseback combat was. There being only one regular enemy to fight on horseback — bokoblins on other horses that don't follow you terribly well — and guardians, an admittedly incredibly designed mini boss. Ganon didn't really... do a whole lot, he was just huge and messed up the environment while having giant, huge hit box weak points. A surprisingly easy fight, considering what came before. I guess I won't ever see my dream of fighting humanoid Ganondorf high up in the castle tower with all of Hyrule all around, or flying around in a tornado above the ruined castle and fighting his — I guess now 'its' — miasma on chunks of floating rubble with the paraglider. I'm glad the Twilight Princess-style teleport out into Hyrule Field for the final battle is being standardized, though. More horseback combat is always a good thing, and I appreciated the aesthetic and textual nod to Beast Ganon. I'm tired and going to stop assailing you all with this wall of text. Goodnight!

Overall, better than Skyward Sword — still not good enough.

Zeev

Hey guys,
Just started playing yesterday.
Is the difficulty is getting harder each time?
Before buying Switch and Zelda, I was afraid that I will have a hard time playing this game.
But for my surprise, the first hour was fine for me. Will it be ok for the rest of the game?
I am asking because some people compare this game to Dark Souls, which I could not beat even the first level.

Edited on by Zeev

Zeev

Octane

@Zeev Don't worry about the difficulty, I don't think those people have played Dark Souls. I think BOTW is actually rather easy.

Octane

jump

You will die fairly often which is why people are getting worked up but that's not due to difficulty but rather playing about whilst exploring.

Does anyone remember about how Aonuma said there's a different ending in the game, has anyone got/figured it out yet?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic