Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 11,961 to 11,980 of 15,475

Tsurii

@Jhena if you think that scene felt "cheap" you should probably try and look at the rest of the Zelda-related story stuff...it's not like she cries because someone else ate her chocolate or anything. That scene is pretty much her breaking point after the crappiest childhood and close to a dozen years of locking up her emotions and feeling like a complete failure.

The way they handled the overall story in BotW has its problems but Zelda's characterization definitely isn't one of them. Quite the opposite in my opinion, that stuff is easily the best(-written) part of it.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Jhena

@Tsurii No the thing with feelings has at least for me nothing to do with logic or if its making sense or not.
The scene really only didnt work for me. Dont know why. That it felt cheap doesnt have anything to do wether its really cheap or not. Another example. Mild Spoiler till ending first big shrine or so.

Link remembers his old Zora girfriend and we see them alone together. Shes telling him how she wants to be allways by his side und heal his wounds. Nothing really complicated. But still i had tears in my eyes. It just clicked i cant tell you why but i really felt that she loves him. I even felt it as if she loves me. And than after the Shrine shes really with him in his heart/soul whatever and she will be healing his wounds. I loved that. I really really felt and loved that. it was kinda corny but i dont care. I can only repeat myself some scenes just work some dont.

Thinking about it i think the reason why i dont like all the scenes with Zelda is because im almost immune to those painfuly and negative feelings portrayed.
But i seem to perceive good and love vibrations very well.

Slow and steady wins the race, baby.

Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

BigBadJohn

I rode a deer last night all the way from east to west. We went through some difficult times that deer and me. We traversed some tough terrain and fought some fearse monsters. Then when our journey came to an end I shot her with an arrow and cooked her meat with some honey. Great times.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Haru17

Story + ending spoilers.

I'm relieved that at the very least they didn't kill Zelda off, or have her spirit ascend or whatever like a certain other sorta recent big Japanese game I could mention. Not that it meant anything since the ending cutscene was pah-the-tic, but maybe she'll be in the DLC or whatever. It makes zero sense that she didn't die when the other champions did, being literally inside of Calamity Ganon all of those years.

But — willfully plot-steering logic aside — I think Mipha's was a much more 'negative,' or whatever, story than Zelda's. The second you get to Zora's Domain it's all 'oh yeah and my sister's dead — you killed her.' Even Sidon is majorly repressing his emotions. The more I think about Breath of the Wild's story, the more obvious it is to me why killing off your entire main cast save for the silent protagonist and his love interest / the only developed character in the game was a terrible damn idea. Basic rules of narrative are to set your story during the most interesting period of that world's history, which in this case was clearly the training and monster attacks culminating in the Calamity or the far-away Sheikah past. Think how much better it would be to ride with Zelda to each of the divine beasts and springs of power, clearing their ancient challenges only to face the Calamity at the very end of the game. But no, now you can speedrun it :/

The priorities of dev and fan alike are so grotesquely backwards.

And a random not-really spoiler thought here, but despite the delivery birds, Hyrule Field, and many trade routes being present, any description of mailman was absent and there was no postage system in the game.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

FGPackers

@BigBadJohn oh...that was so cruel from you

But i have a really nice update! Did really a good number of things this morning!

First of all i reached 65 hrs, but i think i’m near to the 70. I’m almost done with exploration of the south-eastern zone: i reached the fishing village, now i miss only the isle on the far east. Did some Shrines, with a couple of nice quest related ones (the three Hynoxes –where i met my first black one- and the three fragments photos on the coast). Now i’m almost at 70, and i bought Hearth number 18. For Korok Seeds i’m a little over 250 and i bought all enhancements for melee weapons bag. Did a couple of other side quests (for example the lover’s lake) and now i have a couple more to do (the dinner for the kid at the village, but i have just to buy the butter, and clear a camp of monsters for a fisherman). For the first time after i met him, i finally got Kilton at his shop: i bought the bokoblin, moblin and lizalfos masks (it's so fun to wear the appropriate one and just go take the treasure in a camp of monsters! ) and make him a photo for the side quest that got him involved, one i got from a soldier in Akkala if i remember right. Now i’m going to complete this 3 side quests and go to the island on the far east, then i’m done here and with the east half of the world map!

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

I've put a stupidly large amount of hours into this game and it still surprises me. I was wandering around the world looking for shrines because that's most of what I've been doing. No guides because that'd be cheap. Anyways, I stumble across a group of Bokobilin and Moblin just sitting around. I do what you do in this game in that scenario and unleash hell. But here was the suprising bit.

One Bokoblin left, a couple of Moblin. One of the Moblin has dropped his weapon in the battle so it looks around and... grabs the Bokoblin and just hurls it at me. What? That can happen?

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@Haru17 No fishing rod either, I'm disappointed. No but seriously, this game has still a lot of potential to be even better. They're all some minor nitpicks of course, but I think it could add to the immersion.

Octane

FGPackers

@skywake Yeah and that's not the only possible one. It happened to me but there are other 2 here if you want to read them, not so much spoilerish but i'll put it here: one Hynox used trees against me, disrupted them from the ground and tossed them to me. Other one was a Stalhynox that used his own ribs in the same way!

One little last update for today: finished the side quests in the south east corner, went to the island on the far east and...wow. That was quite shocking. Prepare for hell in there. To finish that zone i found the sunken treasure, it was a good one even if not overwhelming. Now i finished all east half of the map, i'm gonna do the west one by starting from the Rito zone and then i'll go one zone at a time towards south. The last one will obviously be the Gerudo, then it's going to be Hyrule Castle to end it (and it will take weeks with my pace i guess! )

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

G0dlike

I have a spare collectors edition of BoTw if anybody wants it! Will accept what I paid + postage. Pre ordered for a mate as he was travelling and he's since come back and decided he doesn't really have the funds for it. Thought I'd offer it here before I do an Amazon return

Edited on by G0dlike

NNID - lordkieranos.

Who's clever idea was it to persist with Friend codes?.....

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

Grandpa_Pixel

Been playing since launch day and I am absolutely loving this game. Impossible to resist playing it everyday. Currently got all 120 shrines, Divine Beasts and nearly 850 Korok Seeds. And I am going for a full 100% completion with personal challenges too

Grandpa_Pixel

Jhena

@Haru17

Yeah the four stories definittely werent on the sunny side. But id argue that at least Miphas story had a really bittersweet ending. Sure she may storywise not be Links first choice but at least they kinda married and became one which was her wish i think. Maybe my memory is wrong but i think she wasnt really shown lamenting her fate. She wasnt happy about it but i really felt that she managed to accept it pretty maturely. At least accepting not to be number 1. The blaming of the zoras didnt reach me. Immune to this dung.

Generelly they didnt feel like a downer for me like Zelda did, hard fate and storyline aside.

Edited on by Yosheel

Jen10

I'm a little bit confused playing Zelda, i'm plodding along & enjoying getting to grips with the game but i'm a bit confused ( doesn't take much lol ) i've travelled on a fair distance on my horse but when i look at the map it doesn't tell me where i am. Is this because i've not found the shrines in the area? I've found my way to a Garrison & managed to kill the enemy with bombs only to get zapped by lightening lol, i was really miffed lol. Any help would be really appreciated, thanks

Jen10

Jhena

@Jen10 If you want to see where you are on the map you have to look for big towers in your area. You have to climb and activate those in each area. I recommend doing this first in every region.

Jen10

@Jhena, thanks so much, i think i passed one but didn't climb it, will go back & find it :)

Jen10

jump

@Jhena You didn't succeed in putting your post in a spoiler.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Jhena

@Jen10 But dont do them all at once. Bad wording on my side. Just climb the one you need at the moment.

You should complete the shrines if you want to max your health or stamina gauge. And after completion you can use the shrine as a fast travel point. Also you should stay attentive during tutorials^^

Jhena

@jump Not quite but you can see it says spoiler^^

Jen10

@Jhena, thanks for the info, it's a real help. If you use the Shrine to travel does your horse come with you or do you need to find another one??

Jen10

Jhena

@Jen10 As far i remember it stays where it is. I was slightly annoyed at first about this but found it soon nice because it didnt feel so cheap when your horse just spawned near you like in other games.But I wouldnt recommend a horse either way. At least for me it felt so restricting. Riding is fast but freedom is just so much superior and more satisfying in this game.

Just try playing with and without a horse and see for yourself what suits you.

Jen10

@Jhena, thanks, i'll experiment with / without the horse. I must admit i felt a little guilty earlier when an enemy hit my horse & then he got zapped by the lightening that killed me lol

Jen10

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic