Forums

Topic: What are the best 3D Mario(s) in your opinion?

Posts 101 to 120 of 217

I would have liked Galaxy, if it wasn't for the Wii Remote.

deadly_by_design

Twario wrote:

deadly wrote:

64 was great for its time, but Galaxy is definitely out of its league.

What do you mean about it "being out of it's league"? The game is fantastic nonetheless.

I could've been a little clearer. Galaxy is a far superior game, IMO. Having played both when they were new, the only edge 64 really has is the "wow factor" in terms of "Hey, you got 3D in my Mario!"

They're both great games though, even if I generally dislike most of the N64 library.

deadly_by_design

Kid_A

Badknux wrote:

I would have liked Galaxy, if it wasn't for the Wii Remote.

Explain to me how that game would have worked without the Wii remote? You need the pointer for most levels, and some require the remotes tilt mechanic as well.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

I don't want to explain, I just didn't like it!

Kid_A

Badknux wrote:

I don't want to explain, I just didn't like it!

Sounds like a reasonable conclusion to come to

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Feld0

Super Mario Galaxy FTW!!

'Cause every forum needs a Yoshi fan.

Adam

Yea, it sounds reasonable probably because it is. The only part of the game that "needs" the Wii remote is where you're dragging Mario from star to star, which, with a few exceptions where a large part of a level is designed around it, is generally a minor part of the level. They could have easily made the game fun without those parts.

I liked them myself, but it's perfectly reasonable for someone to like every part of the game except those parts. The shake control could have -- and should have -- been mapped to a button, and the star bit shooting was both unnecessary and unfun. I would love to try it with traditional controls even if it meant sacrificing the brief parts where you click and drag. They weren't all fun and definitely not the highlight of the game by any stretch.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Feld0

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

I would say Super Mario Galaxy. This game is perfect, 10/10, 5 Stars.

Seconded.

Personally, I believe that Super Mario 64's worlds, while large and VERY well designed, still felt somewhat constricted, mainly because of the all-too-obvious map boundaries, and the complete lack of relation between them.

Super Mario Sunshine improves on that considerably, with all the worlds obviously parts of the same island, and a general increase in their size (just look at Noki Bay! It's fricking massive!), but felt somewhat monotonous, as it completely skipped over the snow, desert, and mountainous themes, and to a great extent, cave, aerial, and lava, too, focusing on the beach theme. I also thought that there were way too many stars/shine sprites to find in each world in these games, and that you returned to them far too often.

Now, Super Mario Galaxy miraculously managed to skip all three of these hurdles (limited draw distance/map size, theme monotony, & level repetition), with 41 completely unique "galaxies," with anywhere between one and six stars in each, seemingly never-ending draw distances and sprawling worlds, and, again, widely varied themes! (about 35-39-ish, to be exact-ish) Also, don't forget SMG's first-ever-for-the-Mario-series majestic orchestrated soundtrack, which I listen to on my way home from school on a daily basis!

Only complaint I have is that I found SMG and 64 a bit on the easier side, compared to Sunshine, but the design (not to mention musical score!) of each is astounding, and you'll be humming tunes from all of them for years! Get them all.

NOW!

P.S.: For the sake of a list: 1. SMG, 2. SM64(DS), 3. SMS

'Cause every forum needs a Yoshi fan.

The only thing I really liked in Super Mario Galaxy was the Comet Observatory theme when it's in full swing. Very pretty.

Timwario

Feld0 wrote:

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded.

Edited on by Timwario

Timwario

NotEnoughGolds

Twario wrote:

Feld0 wrote:

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded.

Fourthed.
Oh but I like 64 the most. I played Sunshine once at a friend's house for a bit and it seemed stupid so I never bought it.
64 was big enough that it consumed a ton of hours to get through the first time, and was completely amazing to look at and play when it came out. Very good level design too, despite what some people have said.
But it was also small enough that you could commit to memory every piece of that game, which is a good thing. It sticks in your mind and you can reflect on it as an enjoyable experience.

Mario Galaxy is great but there are so many levels that my memory of that game is rather fragmented. Instead of remembering everything I only remember a few parts of it. Also it was much more linear than 64. Neither of these are really bad things though.

Anyway I'm just rambling. Super Mario 64 - 10/10. Super Mario Galaxy - 10/10.

NotEnoughGolds

RandomWiiPlayer

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

Disagree. The game is not perfect. It is far too easy.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

Adam

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

Seconded.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Edwicket

1. SM64
2. SMG
3. SMS

Edwicket

Timwario

1.SMG
2.SM64DS
3.SM64
ew, tried to avoid sunshine there.

Timwario

The_Fox

weirdadam wrote:

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

rhythmheavenfan

1. Super Mario Sunshine
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario 64

I don't know what it was about Sunshine, I just really loved it! Galaxy is extremely close behind.

Edited on by rhythmheavenfan

rhythmheavenfan

NotEnoughGolds

Odnetnin wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

weirdadam wrote:

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

Super+Smash+Bros wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded.

Fourthed.

Fifthed. Oh wait....
yeah it was too easy but still deserving of 10/10 easily.
Besides you can't tell me that using the spring suit was easy (though it was so frustrating I'd rather it just be taken out of the game entirely).

NotEnoughGolds

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.