Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,501 to 3,520 of 12,097

LzWinky

As unpopular as his opinions are, I agree that the responses to Artwark are becoming unnecessary. If you wish to discuss why his opinion is right or wrong, then that is fine. However, this insulting will need to stop now.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@Tiefseemiez: @LztheQuack: Although some parts of his posts are opinions, there's plenty of things that are just straight up wrong. The idea that Final Fantasy can't feature turn based combat because it's made in UE4 is just BS. His opinion that Square Enix is therefore lazy because they don't develop their own engine is just an opinion, but it's based on something that isn't even true. As long as he keeps making stuff up, I'm sure he will called out for that and that has nothing to do with opinions.

Octane

CaviarMeths

Calling them "opinions" gives them a sense of legitimacy.

But calling hardworking people "lazy" and celebrating the possibility that thousands of people could lose their jobs deserves rebuke. It's mean-spirited trash. It shouldn't be tolerated, especially when its such off-topic nonsense as it is in this thread.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Tiefseemiez

Octane wrote:

@Tiefseemiez: @LztheQuack: Although some parts of his posts are opinions, there's plenty of things that are just straight up wrong. The idea that Final Fantasy can't feature turn based combat because it's made in UE4 is just BS. His opinion that Square Enix is therefore lazy because they don't develop their own engine is just an opinion, but it's based on something that isn't even true. As long as he keeps making stuff up, I'm sure he will called out for that and that has nothing to do with opinions.

I absolutely agree with you, but those discussions never lead to anything.
It's true that some "opinions" are based on wrong facts and I understand that it sometimes is important to correct them, but if you look at the past - I don't know- 15 pages of the thread you'll see that they mainly consist of Artwark stating something and people trying to prove him wrong. This used to be a pretty interesting thread and I don't think that those discussions are worth ruining it. Is it?

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Octane

@Tiefseemiez: Well, his posts usually draw the most attention, because they're either not unpopular at all, or are just a complete stretch based on essentially nothing. It's only logical that most of the responses are between him and other users going back and forth over his (extraordinary) claims.

Octane

Dave24

MrMario02 wrote:

(Unity must be really popular with game developers these days).

That's because it's free from what I remember, and it's "user frendly" for the guys who worked more than 10 years in the industry. Also, it's very flexible and you can do whatever game you want with it, having distinct style.

Now for the very, very wrong part.

Artwark wrote:

Can Unreal Engine 4 do RPG mechanics like as in Turn based combat? Pretty doubtful it can do that because otherwise Square Enix could play it safe and just do Final Fantasy 7 keeping the turn based combat making everyone happy about it.

There is so much wrong in that it's not even funny. No research involved at all. Just arguing for the sake of having argument and last word.
Well, first of all, Nomura already stated why they went the way they went with the engine and why there is no turn-based system in the FF7 remake. In short and blunt words, he said "if we just re-did 7 without touching anything, why would I be there to direct it?". Longer answer is, they try to cram in so much into the game it will be completely diffrent, and with Nomura being on board it's obvious he will go for Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia action rpg approach instead of turn based, because he has all the same people who designed those. He wants it to be diffrent and while to me it is disappointing he went with KH, I'll wait and see what it will be, although I would be more for revamping Resonance of Fate system. Now THAT would be something fitting into their vision, awesome and new, instead of saying they are no pulling back, and yet go for the more popular system, that could be considered beaten to death already.
And your "pretty doubtful" argument goes out the window, because like UE3, UE4 supports turn-based, of which Ancestory is proof. Epic is all for as flexible as possible engine, so people will buy that for anything they want to make instead of going for cheaper option like Unity engine.

Or how about Fallout 4's graphics being completely ugly because of the modification of fallout 3's engine?

Sadly, it's not modification of F3 engine but beefed up Skyrim's creation engine. And graphics are not completely ugly at all - the only thing they actually screwed up was stretching the textures to 2K, that's why it looks washed up at times. But there are many imrpovments like motion blur, god rays, better lightning and shadows. Also, TAA is technological masterpiece, it having 2FPS hit more than FXAA and getting rid of all jaggies is really great technical achievment, considering TXAA/MSAA or any other anti-aliasing are always heavy hitters in performance. Still, F4 ugly looks better than Witcher 3 ugly.
While I would like for Bugthesda to drop the engine and go for something from technical wizards, none of these engines are sadly prepared for tasks their games do, like all the randomness of the world, that's why there are many bugs. If they would hire people who actually know what they are doing or even collaborate with other studios, they could do it, but revamping the engine you already have is cheaper option. And yet with all the technical problems of F4, I'll dare to say it's their most bug free games they made and there are not that many engine problems or they are getting fixed gradually. Finally no changing refresh rate, because it normally supports higher than 60hz, so no screwing up physics.

Edited on by Dave24

Dave24

Whydoievenbother

The Gaming culture in 5 seconds:
I need everyone's approval at all times, even people who don't exist.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

shaneoh

MrMario02 wrote:

The Gaming culture in 5 seconds:
I need everyone's approval at all times, even people who don't exist.

I like to think that everyone wants my approval, they just do a really bad job of trying to get it..

Edit: Another unpopular opinion: Artwark is entitled to his opinion.

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Whydoievenbother

shaneoh wrote:

Edit: Another unpopular opinion: Artwark is entitled to his opinion.

Agreed. Let's all agree not to argue anymore. It's stupid and it never goes anywhere. Especially in the Unpopular Gaming Opinions thread.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Tiefseemiez

WaveGhoul wrote:

The Shantae WayForward series gets way tooo much praise IMO, it lacks quite a bit in terms of originality when it comes to gameplay. Sure they boast beautiful sprite work and catchy tunes, but it's never enough to pull me in. The GameBoy color original is probably the worst of the lot, just as mind numbingly boring and chore heavy as Wario Land 3

I cannot really judge, because the tunes were SO catchy and immediately made me fall in love, but I probably can understand your argument: artstyle and humor totally remind me of good old point'n'click-adventures (which makes me love it even more).
The gameplay is pretty standard I guess.
But there aren't many games out there at the moment that deliver this mixture, so I wouldn't say their praise is undeserved.

Unpopular opinion:
I always liked Simon the Sorcerer MUCH more than Monkey Island.
This is probably because I got to know Simon first, but I never felt much sympathy for Monkey Island.
If asked I would argue that MIs humor is way over the top (though probably it's the same level of ridiculous StS is), but I think my opinion is just based on the fact that MI is more popular than StS and I always tend to start hating things that are praised that much. And as mentioned: I knew StS far before MI.
Anyways it always kind of bothers me how StS seems to be almost forgotten by people, while still many remember MI fondly.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Socar

@WaveGhoul: well...when you put it like that, pretty much most platform games try to emulate the Metroid style of gameplay only with immersive visuals and great soundtrack. Heck, that's what Monster Kid is doing. Personally, I love Wario Land 3 better than the original Shantae not because of the sound, but because of the frustrating spikes on the way.

@Dave24: Ok so my bad on that part I guess. Still it leaves one to wonder why change the entire game when everyone would want just remastered graphics for a remake and more features. Its like the case for Metal Gear on NES. The game is completely different than the original one on MSX despite it being similar and on top of that, there's no Metal Gear on the NES version. Time will tell I guess.

@SpookyMeths didn't I just take back what I said for the SEGA employees about that losing job thing earlier but that companies still have to earn hard money instead of easy money?

Speaking of SEGA, if they can't localize Phantasy Star Online 2 to the west, then I don't think that they can satisfy western gamers. Most of their games sell well in Japan and majority of their IP's are better off in Japan with the only IP being worth in the west is Sonic.

The only reason that Yakuza 5 reached here isn't because of SEGA's change in mind but because of Sony's Third party program(See Proof here http://segabits.com/blog/2015/08/31/why-sega-refusing-to-loca...

...no wonder we're not getting the localized version of Yakuza on Wii U.

The only reason why SEGA matters in west is because SEGA has western companies and while they do localize western games to Japan, the fact that the PC market in Japan is so niche compared to the west wastes SEGA a LOT more money.
( see proof http://kotaku.com/5977001/why-pc-gaming-is-still-niche-in-japan)

At this point, I don't care what SEGA is gonna do whether deliver poor quality games or the opposite. At this point, they have left so many IP's dormant from the time they went third party, has a reputation of making bad decisions not just for marketing but in terms of concepts as well and to top it off, people still have faith in them.

Well, seeing as how my "Happy" comment angered many, I want to take that back and say that I'm sorry for saying such a harsh thing. Because despite me being more of a Nintendo fan, I also had a lot of childhood memories of SEGA as well and looking at games like Phantasy Star and Shinobi now, I feel bad realizing that there are great games that SEGA made.

So I will say this. SEGA needs to figure out the best possible way to win back the audience it betrayed and making quality sonic games isn't the only way to do so but bring back dormant IP's like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Shinobi and I can go on because they have a huge list. Sure, the games won't sell as well as it does in Japan but they will atleast satisfy the western gamers a LOT.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Not_Soos

•The best part of Splatoon is the single-player content
•Sticker Star was at least somewhat decent
•I agree with the above comments that Federation Force looks fun
•3D World is probably my least-favorite Mario platformer; I even prefer 3D Land
•I'm not a fan of the original Yoshi's Island, yet I really enjoied New Island
•Ocarina of Time is overrated
•I like Bowser Jr. as much as the Koopalings
•I think Crash Bandicoot would make the perfect Smash Bros. fighter, if Cloud can make it in

Not_Soos

Switch Friend Code: SW-0365-3043-2731 | 3DS Friend Code: 2836-0531-4472 | My Nintendo: Aaron | Nintendo Network ID: 3DGamr | Twitter:

Zibene999

Tiefseemiez wrote:

I always liked Simon the Sorcerer MUCH more than Monkey Island.

Never much liked MI either.

Also Federation Force does look fun.

I have a few unpopular opinions, I guess.

I've always preferred Advance Wars over Fire Emblem, even though I've played games in both series and rather like FE. I just really don't like the fact that Nintendo shunted AW for FE in Smash as well as continued franchise development. I'll admit the FE series has a longer, stronger and more stable history, sure, but I still wish they'd give AW a little more mention than a trophy in their latest Smash game. Even as one of their new mobile games, maybe? I can dream..

Also Golden Sun might've been my first portable RPG (unless you count Pokemon), but I don't really like it. Don't dislike it though, it's just average. (And a little over-rated, or maybe it's just the vocal minority?) It and it's sequel are fun to play though.

And my final unpopular opinion: 5th Gen was the best Pokemon generation. Yep, I went there.
There are honestly a lot of reasons I like the 5th generation best, including having a lot of my favorite Pokemon including the starters, some of my favorite music like Unwavering Emotion and Nimbasa City, and characters like Bianca that really struck me. Like, this is the first time a parent, let alone a father, actually tries to stop their kid from being a Pokemon trainer, because they're worried about them. That's never been done before. There aren't even many fathers in Pokemon in the first place. That part really touched me.
I also loved the player characters designs and the rival character, N, a lot. But most of all I think it came at a critical time in my life, and that really shaped my opinion of the game.

And yes, I started with Pokemon Yellow, went through Crystal, Sapphire, FireRed and Diamond before that. It wasn't 'my first Pokemon game, so it's the best'. I'd been with Pokemon since the beginning of the craze, I just happen to like this one best, for a lot of good reasons. That's all. <3

Edited on by Zibene999

Zelda series: 9/18 (50%)
Played all FF main games (some more than once! Heh.)
Fan of ZE since the first game's release, summer can't come soon enough!
Favorite Pokemon Gens/Pokemon: 3 & 5, Lumineon
longtime Advance Wars and Animal Crossing fan.

Socar

GamecubeMan wrote:

Metroid Prime Federation Force looks like a fun game.

Agreed. It doesn't actually look all that bad. The only thing that I'm curious about is because when you see games like Uprising use large models.....the fact that this game minimizes the models and makes them look odd just makes you ask them why couldn't they just push limits?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Socar wrote:

GamecubeMan wrote:

Metroid Prime Federation Force looks like a fun game.

Agreed. It doesn't actually look all that bad. The only thing that I'm curious about is because when you see games like Uprising use large models.....the fact that this game minimizes the models and makes them look odd just makes you ask them why couldn't they just push limits?

I think it's less about limits, more about intentionally going for a specific art style. Remember that this was their concept art for a Metroid game years back.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

I-U

I cannot bring up a link to the comment by Tanabe, as I think I've lost it in all the interviews he did around E3 for the game, but I do remember news circulating that the art style for Federation Force is being done because it's on a handheld. Having said that, I just don't understand why Federation Force looks the way it does when Metroid Prime Hunters already laid an impressive standard for how a handheld Metroid Prime game at the very least should look like. Beyond the art style for the game, I imagine I'll really enjoy Metroid Prime Federation Force and may go a step further and buy multiple copies. It's been an experience I've been waiting on since Metroid Prime Hunters for a new Metroid game to have, that heavy action multiplayer. Still, that art style, to me, is an unnecessary distraction and I'm not sure exactly why that decision was made.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic