Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,521 to 3,540 of 12,088

CaviarMeths

I-U wrote:

Having said that, I just don't understand why Federation Force looks the way it does when Metroid Prime Hunters already laid an impressive standard for how a handheld Metroid Prime game at the very least should look like.

I feel like that should be a "could." Restricting a series to a specific art style isn't something that fans should impose on the creators. There's room for experimentation, especially in a spin-off.

NLG prefers stylized art. Regardless of hardware, they were never going to make a realistic-looking game.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

LzWinky

Federation Force will be the greatest Metroid game ever!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

veeflames

@Tops: I don't think he's played it yet..

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Rumorlife

I still don't see the big deal. I'm loling cause Dream Team was fun for me, Sticker Star had good points that I can remember, (even if there is much to talk about in the terrible section) and Super Paper Mario was really fun. Let's see what else did I like that no one else on this forum liked.... GameBoy Goemon....

I'm very overwhelmed by XCX. I truely can't imagine seeing the end of this game ever. But I'll play it as much as I can. It's overwhelming enough that I don't think I'll be getting XB3D anytime soon like I sorta planned. It put's the whole New 3DS on the backburner for me really since there's almost no other reason to get one right now, imo.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Whydoievenbother

I don't get why console fans get so defensive of their consoles. I suppose it's because as a kid, your parents can only afford one console, and if you end up choosing wrong, you go into denial until your perception of reality changes to match the way you want things to be.

I still think the term "console wars" is funny, though. It makes me think of all of the video game consoles in the world transforming into robots and going to a gruesome war.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

shaneoh

MrMario02 wrote:

I still think the term "console wars" is funny, though. It makes me think of all of the video game consoles in the world transforming into robots and going to a gruesome war.

It won't be funny when it happens. All hail the Nintendo/PC Alliance!

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

NintendoFan64

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

@Tops: I don't think he's played it yet..

So...is this going to be like how @Bolt_Strike acts towards 3D World, or what?
@TomJ I can see where you're coming from: the fact that they don't seem to do anything with the concept AT ALL and just sort of opt for a NSMB RPG experience really bothers me (I honestly felt a little depressed when I found out who the character in the battle arena was...really? THAT'S who you went with? Not some old Paper Mario boss or something like that? Would it have killed you guys to put in just a LITTLE fanservice?). Still...the gameplay looks fun, so I'll still give it a try. It might not be a day-one purchase for me anymore, but I can give it a try.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Freeon-Leon

@MrMario02: Sometimes I get defensive when I hear/read people talk ignorant things about some Nintendo games/consoles.

I mean, if you're going to criticize something at least try to have a slight understanding of what you're saying. Here in Mexico City I often hear a lot of people ditching Nintendo consoles because they're "kiddy" but they don't get the whole accesible-yet-deep approach Nintendo has in most of their games. i.e.When I hear someone talking nonsense about Smash.

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Bolt_Strike

TomJ wrote:

@VeeFlamesNL:
My problem is that it feels like a waste of opportunity. It doesn't take full advantage of the Paper Mario universe and feels like an NSMB experience with no story or soul (not referring to the gameplay), I will not play it or any further installment if this continues.

That's been Nintendo in general for the last 5 years, they've put a lot of emphasis on making simplified generic gameplay only games that have no effort put into them. Now I'm not terribly familiar with Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi so I can't properly weigh in on Paper Jam, but what concerns me the most about the idea is whether or not the game is just the sum of its parts, because that makes a crossover uninteresting.

It's their platformers I'm more concerned about (main series Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Kirby) though because they all seem to be creatively bankrupt and extremely iterative, all they really do is create new levels and add in some gimmick that has barely any impact on the game and call it a day. This approach makes them feel too similar to each other, like you're just playing DLC of the same game that came out 5 years ago. We really need to see these series take an actual step forward.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NintendoFan64

Bolt_Strike wrote:

TomJ wrote:

@VeeFlamesNL:
My problem is that it feels like a waste of opportunity. It doesn't take full advantage of the Paper Mario universe and feels like an NSMB experience with no story or soul (not referring to the gameplay), I will not play it or any further installment if this continues.

That's been Nintendo in general for the last 5 years, they've put a lot of emphasis on making simplified generic gameplay only games that have no effort put into them. Now I'm not terribly familiar with Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi so I can't properly weigh in on Paper Jam, but what concerns me the most about the idea is whether or not the game is just the sum of its parts, because that makes a crossover uninteresting.

It's their platformers I'm more concerned about (main series Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Kirby) though because they all seem to be creatively bankrupt and extremely iterative, all they really do is create new levels and add in some gimmick that has barely any impact on the game and call it a day. This approach makes them feel too similar to each other, like you're just playing DLC of the same game that came out 5 years ago. We really need to see these series take an actual step forward.

...Y'know what? I'm going to try and do this ONE. MORE. TIME. If you think they are creatively bankrupt, and just lack in originality, well...let me just start with the two games that I just know you don't like:
3D World: 4-Player in a 3D Mario game is a brilliant idea, you've got stuff like the Captain Toad levels, there's the levels with plessie in them which are just fun, and what I can't help but love is the last world. "What, is it another standard lava world?"NOPE! It's a circus!
DKC TF: First there's the Snowmads, with them being vikings based off of various acrtic animals, is an interesting idea, and it has some of the most creative level design that I've ever seen (PS SCREW YOU GAMESPOT! "Unimaginitive level design"...BULL! There's a stage where you start in a minecart, go onto a raft, then go back onto the minecart, in a sawmill that is building the layout as you go along!)
Now let's move onto the other two:
Kirby: If it's Rainbow Curse, to be fair, Canvas Curse came out a decade ago. I think it's alright to revisit an old idea. Plus, I really like the clay artstyle. If it's Triple Deluxe...it's a standard Kirby game on a 3DS. The main Kirby games don't really change up the formula too much (aside from the occasional gimmick), so...I don't know what to tell you.
Yoshi: If it's New Island...I haven't played that, so...no comment. If it's Wooly World, look: they just wanted to see what they could by giving Yoshi the yarn motif from Epic Yarn. And...it works! I feel like they used the yarn motive to the fullest and successfully ended up creating an imaginative world.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Bolt_Strike

@NintendoFan64 Sorry, but they'll have to do better than that. Swapping out one villain for another, level gimmicks and mini games, and recycling ideas for different IPs aren't really creative ideas. Above all they need ideas that affect the gameplay on a larger scale. Take Galaxy for example, they came up with an entirely new theme and made meaningful changes to the entire game based on it. Things like Plessie and Captain Toad are nice, but they only affect a handful of levels. The planetoid level design and the spin move in Galaxy affected the entire game from top to bottom and there were multiple gimmicks that worked around them, not just one or two. Sure, they've done a few things different in the recent games like having a new level idea, some kind of gimmick that shows up once a level or so, or swapping out villains or settings, but at the end of the day those kinds of changes are small potatoes and don't really do much to change up otherwise tired formulas that have been around for 20 years. That's why they appear creatively bankrupt, they're lacking these kinds of bold and far reaching ideas that make the games feel like a definitive step forward from their predecessors.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

I-U

SpookyMeths wrote:

I feel like that should be a "could." Restricting a series to a specific art style isn't something that fans should impose on the creators. There's room for experimentation, especially in a spin-off.

Federation Force is already very experimental with its focus on co-op multiplayer and having missions unfold not from Samus's perspective but from the Galactic Federation's. I'm fine with that experimentation, but I also value consistency. Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime Pinball, Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime 3 all followed as closely as possible to the standard that the first Metroid Prime laid down for the sub-series in terms of presentation. They all looked like they were in that same universe. Metroid Prime Federation Force, at least in terms of how it has been presented with its art style, seems to pushing that all aside and I'm not sure exactly sure what the goal of that is. If NLG likes stylized art, that's fine, it just needs to have some work done to look closer to the standard laid by the Primes so far. Hopefully, when the game is shown again, it'll have those touch ups.

http://kotaku.com/everything-we-could-find-out-about-that-new...

Tanabe said: Personally, I don’t feel like I am creating anything that is a side-story.

Something else I want to comment on too is Federation Force's spin-off status. First, where is that idea coming from? Above is a quote from Tanabe where he seems to be suggesting that Federation Force is not a spin-off. He is more suggesting in that interview that he sees Federation Force as another perspective in the same universe that the rest of the Primes occur in with the intention of building up the Federation to eventually tie into a possible Sylux-Samus main Prime game (i.e. Prime 4). So, that said, I'm confused why Federation Force is being labeled as a spin-off. No interview with Kensuke Tanabe has really suggested that.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

sr_388

@I-U: It's not a spin-off, just like Tri Force Heroes is not a spin-off. They're part of the main canon, they're just not "traditional" Metroid and Zelda games so people call them spin-offs and write them off. Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off, that's why it's not called The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors.

sr_388

LzWinky

Odd considering some of Nintendo's most popular games are sequels that reuse ideas from past games.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Socar

I like Sonic 1 Game gear a lot better than the 16 bit version. Sure, its missing a lot that the original had but come on man, bridge zone? I love it better than Marble Zone.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

GamecubeMan

LztheQuack wrote:

Odd considering some of Nintendo's most popular games are sequels that reuse ideas from past games.

Ultra Smash is game of the year confirmed.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic