Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,481 to 3,500 of 12,088

jump

@Artwark for shame on you using evil youtube, Ninty are gonna go bust now!!!

Also what happened was it was developed for Wii and PC as there was no 3DS dev kits at the time and then ported to the 3DS.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Socar

@arronishere: Actually, Nintendo themselves have the video for it in the Iwata-Asks. But since I'm lazy to show it through that site, I decided to show it on youtube and also, the footage is the same whether you see it in the main site or on youtube.

As for the development, read the interview cause atleast that way, you can believe it when you see it.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

GamecubeMan

@Artwark I'm not sure what you are really trying to prove with all these points about the "evil 3rd party developers" ruining the game industry. Why does it matter to you what practices these companies go through. Regardless its your lose. There are many amazing 3rd party games out there, some of which you might even like more than Nintendo games. That being said Nintendo has been accused of utilizes child labor to make Wii U's and yeah that pretty bad to even be a suspect of that to say the least. So its not like Nintendo has a squeaky clean record.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

veeflames

@GamecubeMan: I know you're trying to make a point to Artwark (lost cause, but you can try), where was it said that Nintendo uses child labor to produce Wii Us? That's totally a first for me, TBH. If I remember correctly, Foxconn, the company that produces Nintendo consoles, had some issues with staff and all that but I don't remember anything about them hiring children to work for them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn
Please don't state false information!

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

veeflames

@GamecubeMan: Hm... I guess I missed the news back then. That's very disappointing, but I don't see how it's Nintendo's fault, considering Foxconn also used child labor to manufacture other products:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168393-sonys-ps4-is-made-wi... (In Sony's case, it wasn't clear whether there was child labor, but there's definitely unpaid student interns involved).
But yeah, it's such a darn shame. Thankfully Nintendo said they were investigating the matter... hope the situation's improved after 2 years.
Also, I just lost all trust in Cinema Blend. Good Lord...

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

CaviarMeths

arronishere wrote:

That's even worse, Nintendo have a vid but you chose to post an EVIL youtube to grab all of Nintendo's money instead. You really do have no shame and Miyamoto will have to go without eating today because of you posting that vid!!

Wait, but I thought it was OK for thousands of employees to go without food to serve my selfish, petty desires?

Or am I getting my Artwarkisms mixed up?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Socar

@arronishere: You're right! So I removed that awful video and did the real professional way and that's showing the real source. That way youtubers can start working hard to show original work than using copyrighted work that could cause millions of people losing their Jobs. Its already happening in the music industry btw.

Anyway my unpopular opinion now is that I'm worried that Japanese devs are beginning to use licensed game engines instead of making their own engine. While I can understand the budget constraints that indies have to make their own game engine, a developer like Square Enix shouldn't use a western engine like Unreal Engine 4 just to do a remake of FF7. Why can't they just modify their own engine like how Nintendo does it?

When you make your own engine, you get to understand making your game better. And using engines like game maker despite it having lots of features limits your level of quality. Example is that Undertale music isn't properly looped and the reason for that is that Game Maker Studio isn't music friendly and can't seem to figure out when to loop the music. Honestly, I don't know how Undertale can work on Unity engine because the things it does makes it really questionable whether it can be possible to do in unity.

Not only that but in terms of visual....well that even a custom engine is better. Because there is only so much that a licensed engine can do. This is also worrying because if Japan can't afford making their own engines, then how can they possibly afford to even make a game in the near future?

Edited on by Socar

Whydoievenbother

@Artwark that's not just Japanese game devs. Ubisoft used Unity to create a steam game called Grow Home. Unity was used to make Oddworld: New and Tasty. Psychonauts 2 is also going to be running in Unity (Unity must be really popular with game developers these days). Ubisoft plans on using Unreal for Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Assuming they ever actually make it)
Also, using a licensed engine has benefits. Namely;
For developers, less knowledge is lost when moving to a new studio
For the company, it means that more people will be familiar with the engine in question
For the company, It means that they don't have to make a brand new engine every few years (making an engine is expensive, you know)
For the modding community, modders won't have to learn to use a new engine to mod games
For future indie devs, It shows what engines are reliable
For the creators of these engines, more money for them will allow them to make larger improvements to these engines, which will increase the amount of studios big and small wanting to use those engines, which makes them even more money.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Socar

@MrMario02: @DarthNocturnal: But every time you use a licensed game engine, you pay it regularly which is more expensive than investing in your own game engine. Also, how is making 2D game engines expensive? Like literally, the idea of making your own engine is to know your game better. Using other game engines limits the creativity and like I said, I understand it for Indies but overall, it feels odd why Japanese developers would use licensed game engines.

Whydoievenbother

@Artwark Not all engines do that. Just ask Construct 2 (oh wait, no one knows what that is)

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Aviator

Artwark wrote:

That way youtubers can start working hard to show original work than using copyrighted work that could cause millions of people losing their Jobs.

So now you care about people losing their jobs.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Geonjaha

Aviator wrote:

Artwark wrote:

That way youtubers can start working hard to show original work than using copyrighted work that could cause millions of people losing their Jobs.

So now you care about people losing their jobs.

Silly you. YouTubing isn't a real job, because I don't personally approve of it!

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

CaviarMeths

So this week's hilarious concern trolling is about how Japanese developers should waste colossal amounts of time and money on more engines like Luminous and Panta Rhei, both of which will be used for like 2-3 games before Square Enix and Capcom drop them for more established, better documented licensed engines.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Socar

@SpookyMeths: So you like the idea of licensed game engines more than custom engines? Good. But realize that Licensed engines have their own downfall. Developers have less control and they rely on the licencors for new innovations and the times flying as well as for next gen systems.

This is one of the few reasons why Nintendo rather uses their own engine instead of relying on third party engines namely because again, third parties are too lazy to work hard on even making their own game engines and so they have to use licensed engines.

If Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign was using its own engine instead of Unreal Engine 3, They could like ignore the limitations that the licensed engine had and done better things with their own engine thus giving potential sales.

CaviarMeths

1) "Lazy devs" is just plain ignorant and disrespectful. Educate yourself and fix your attitude.

2) I don't think you understand how engine licensing works. Developers don't rely on anything. Once they license the engine, they can use it however they want, including retooling it into something else. For example, Armature will be retooling UE4 to port Bloodstained to Wii U and Vita.

3) Guilty Gear Xrd did phenomenal work with UE3. Have you played it? You don't need to answer that. I'm not interested in a garbled reply patched together from a blog post you read.

4) Lady Gaga is a popular entertainer.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Octane

Conclusion; If you don't make everything yourself, you're lazy. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for lunch and I'd like a sandwich, so I'm going to harvest some wheat and vegetables.

Octane

Socar

@SpookyMeths: Licensed engines need to be constantly updated and if the previous engine can't do what the next engine will do, then they have to move the resources to the next engine. Also, you have to make a license for each computer which is more tedious than just using a custom engine.

Again. Licensed engines can't handle the innovations that some games require. Can you honestly say that Unity can replicate the same logic that Scribblenauts engine did? Or how about basically using a licensed engine on DS/3DS for that matter since it requires two screens.

Can Unreal Engine 4 do RPG mechanics like as in Turn based combat? Pretty doubtful it can do that because otherwise Square Enix could play it safe and just do Final Fantasy 7 keeping the turn based combat making everyone happy about it.

Also, its the truth. Many developers are lazy to work hard. Remember that infamous Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis on GBA that performed poorly? The reason for that was that it used the Sonic Advance engine which is completely different than that original Sonic the Hedgehog game and they didn't even bother modifying it either.

Or how about Fallout 4's graphics being completely ugly because of the modification of fallout 3's engine?

Edited on by Socar

Tiefseemiez

I don't really get where all of this is supposed to be going.
Just read the comment by someone, that people were bullying Artwark.
On the opposite site I had the impression that people in this forum were really trying to understand and make their own points in a pretty patient and respectful way.
Maybe it's time to remind ourselves that the first entry in this thread said that peoples' opinions were supposed to be taken as opinions only and not to be discussed.
I understand the "bullying" argument above and also agree with people opposing Artwarks points of view, but this thread seems to develop more and more into an everyone-discusses-Artwarks-opinions-thread rather than a general unpopular gaming opinions thread.
If there is one place in this forum where Artwarks opinions can stand on their own, it is this thread.
And since hardly any argument of anyone managed to convince the other party of anything, it's hardly a loss to just stop discussing, I guess?

Edited on by Tiefseemiez

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic