Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 661 to 680 of 3,148

yokokazuo

Started playing through Gaiden last year and when Echoes was announced, I really wanted to finish Gaiden before I got Echoes. I ended up beating the game last night and just in time for the release of Echoes!
Got close to 90 hours put into the game, but a good amount of the time could be due to the slow gameplay as a Famicom game. Still I really enjoyed playing the game and the different mechanics it has compared to the other Fire Emblem games. Looking forward to picking up Echoes soon now!

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

kkslider5552000

Finished AM2R. Fantastic game, give the people involved money to continue to make games plz.

It is at least on part with Zero Mission, arguably better since it is much more difficult (in a good way).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

So, I just completed Severed. Did all the extra stuff before I fought the final boss so I could get the platinum trophy. It only took two days, but I've been glued to my Vita almost every waking minute that wasn't dedicated to work or family today, and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning finishing it.

I'm not generally a fan of DrinkBox Studio's games, but they really hit a home run with this one. It's a mix between a first-person dungeon crawler and a metroidvania, and it works wonderfully well. The various areas are filled with secrets and fun puzzles. Combat is supremely tactical and makes WONDERFUL use of the Vita's touchscreen. And, best of all, the upgrade system is well-designed and incredibly addictive. They took a game with multiple interlocking systems and made it feel incredibly approachable.

What else to say? The plot is very minimalistic, and the game wastes no time getting you into the action, but it's still incredibly somber and meaningful. I really loved the game's thematic exploration of finding oneself through adversity and dealing with the crippling terror of losing your loved ones. There are some creatures that you meet, and, surprisingly, they develop somewhat as you play through your adventure. I can't say I ever felt attached to any of them, but they did variously inspire chuckles and feelings of pity.

The presentation is fantastic. Unlike the vast majority of other dungeon crawlers, the game tries to make you feel like you're an actual person navigating this hellscape, and less like a camera plastered onto a tank. The screen tilts up and down slightly as your character, Sasha, walks around, making you feel embodied. The art style is gorgeous, and I love the Aztec look this game seems to have gone for. The music is interesting and helps to establish the somber atmosphere.

All in all, I was blown away by this. I'm disappointed it took me this long to finally convince myself to experience it. Really memorable little indie game that I'd recommend to almost anyone.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

EdFairway

Barring BoTW... oh geez, I can't remember
I think it's easier to list the games I've almost completed; is that allowed?

Based on the wisdom of Carlin: "You're born into this world with a ticket to the show. When you get an internet connection, you have a front row seat"

Spellbound

Breath of the wild
Nier Automata
Almost done with Persona 5

Spellbound

Nintendo Network ID: AZ_MotherBrain

Vinny

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube, 2003)

I really liked the graphical style, the aesthetics and the soundtrack. There were great dungeons like Forbidden Woods and sailing was pretty satisfying overall (it's a bit slow in the GC version but according to the developers that was because of hardware limitations).

What I really disliked about it was the triforce quest. Some dungeons were cut out of the game very close to the end of development and they had to pad the game out with something else.
Basically, you buy a map for 201 rupees and it shows the locations of the charts that show the locations of the triforce shards. After getting a chart, you have Tingle decode it for you (only 398 rupees per chart! what a bargain!) and then it shows where to find a shard somwhere in the ocean.

Some people like it because of the exploration but I thought it was very boring and repetitive. There's a 30 floor dungeon where you fight all the enemies you fought in regular dungeons over and over again, for instance. Not to mention all the back and forth between islands.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Ralizah

Beat Ninja Senki DX, which isn't much of an accomplishment, seeing as how you get infinite continues and there's only sixteen levels. No, the fun of this game is going to be replaying stuff to get some of those rare trophies. I have no idea how I'm going to complete the boss rush fast enough to get the gold medal, but I'll give it a good college try.

Jhena

Quit witcher 1 for the third time. Nope i dont like that game. Perfect example how games in a series get better over time.

Man seriously i went back to playing switch after over one month abstinence and the first game i play is mr shifty. What a disappointment. The only thing mr shifty does better than hotline miami is the gameplay mechanic. Shifting and beating the thugs and so on. Its really fun but it gets stale pretty fast. The rest is at least on the switch still a beta game. Framerate issues are really sick. The music is not even close to the masterpiece that is the album of hotline miami 2.

The difficulty was just right. Luckily it was much easier than miami.

I think its at least 5 euro too expensive even if they actually fix the game. It crashed right after the ending in my playthrough.

Whatever theres enough stuff in the eshop i should find something fun.^^

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Jhena

Kamiko (Switch): Nice little game but nothing special. For some reason sometimes the framerate doesnt feel constant but its really no problem. Even more after mr shifty. I like the artstyle and the feel of running around and slaying demons. Its too short in my opinion because im not that big on 100%ing games. Music is also nice.

Jhena

Ralizah

(reposted from Push Square)

Just finished Abzu. Good god, that was one of the dullest games I've ever played in my life. Nothing to do aside from swim around, shoot waves out to interact with a few objects, and listen to its swelling New Age soundtrack. No pacing, no comprehensible story, very little actual gameplay... I'm glad this thing was short and free. What a waste.

What's the point of meditating in this game? Who wants to just watch random video game fish swim around?

Oh, and whoever decided it was a good idea to make me hold my right-trigger button down over the course of the entire game in order to move around should be fired immediately. Just the act of playing the game became uncomfortable.

I REALLY hope Journey is better than this.

Jhena

Snake Pass (Switch): Really nice game. It was fun when i got the hang of controlling the snake. The difficulty was really good until the last level. Seriously i havent felt so much hate in a long time and i was in a good mood today. Dont even want to think what would have happened if it was otherwise. I hate it when games do this. I was stuck for an hour in one section. I did it but i dont think 100%ing was worth the frustration.

The music is good enough but there could have been more tracks. I think there should have been dialogue between the two protagonists. Not the warnings. Something funny that would give them character.

I think ill give i am setsuna a second chance.

Jhena

Tasuki

Finally got to Mighty Gunvolt on the 3DS today. With the announcement of the sequel it reminded me that I still had it in my backlog.

I liked the game and by playing as Beck it really felt like a Megaman game. The only thing is it was a bit short but being that it was a freebie for getting Azure Striker Gunvolt, I can understand why it was short. Can't wait for the sequel though.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

edhe

It took me maybe 6 weeks, and over 100 hours, but I've beat Persona 5 on my PS3. As enjoyable as it was, I might leave any subsequent playthroughs until another year, because I'd very much like to move on to something else.

Without going into any spoilers, and in a similar fashion to a previous game I played (Persona 3), there were some hairy moments where they throw consecutive boss battles at you without a chance to save, or crucially, replenish SP (I never seemed to have that many SP restoring items on me, and it was only at the last stretch that I made a conscious effort to buy a load of health potions that helped me through the final battle).

I could say, with confidence, that this is one of the best games I've played. It was a bit disappointing how there were periods where you were forced to do certain things, when I would have preferred to work on some social links (I never had time to watch many DVDs, for example - lest I run up a massive late fee), but the game encourages you to play through it multiple times, and you are able to retain stats, money and the compendium data, so while I was only able to max out a few social links the first time round - and reap certain bonuses, I could try achieving more on a subsequent playthrough, which I'll likely try on the harder difficulty.

I've also been on a Fire Emblem kick lately, having beaten Fates Conquest (after dropping the difficulty down to easy for the last battle), and the two GBA games on WiiU VC and 3DS Ambassador VC respectively. More recently, I tried Awakening on Lunatic-Classic, and made it to the part where you can grind with the DLC, trained my units up to level 10, and the first level, you've got to protect a level 3 Maribelle and that Wizard kid who are surrounded by enemies who can one-shot them. I compromised, and restarted on Lunatic-Casual.

But I had started Shadow Dragon a while back, although I stopped after finishing the beginning chapters, and since it's a game I haven't yet beaten, I'm probably gonig to move on to that one next.

Hopefully, I can work up a momentum again, because Persona 5 was taking ages...

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Luna_110

Finished Tokyo Mirage Sessions a couple of days ago, on my Wii U. It's a good game, with a brilliant battle system that allows for a lot of strategy. Graphics are nice, although the story is hit or miss. I liked it, but I wasn't bothered by the idol theme.
The only problem (may be me) was that I felt the game dragged toward the end. The last dungeon, instead of feeling unique like the others, forces you to fight again all previous bosses and sub bosses, instead of having a proper theme. And if you figured the strategy once, defeating those guys with a higher leveled party is too damn easy.
Still, it's definitively one of the hidden gems on the Wii U and a shame it was sent out to die like it was. I'd love to see a sequel someday!

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

JoeDiddley

King Of Fighters '98 and Metal Slug 3. Not sure if these games count.

I guess I've beat Mario Kart 8 Deluxe too 😉

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Jhena

I am Setsuna (switch): I was really too harsh with this game. Its actually quite enjoyable. Seems like i just wasnt in the mood the last time. This time the emotions reached me and so the story also got better. I ll try to do the sidequests next. Will be interesting to see what this studio will bring next.

Cant wait for arms. Maybe ill buy mario kart. Would like to play wonderboy but i still hope for a physical release.

Jhena

MotaroRIP

Finally beat ZombiU. It was pretty good overall

MotaroRIP

Ralizah

Recently finished Yoshi's Wooly World on the Wii U and VA-11 Hall-A on the PC. Both fantastic experiences, as far as I'm concerned.

YWW is a clever. accessible, and very well-designed platformer with wonderful art design. It rivals what I've played of the original Yoshi's Island, actually.

VA-11 Hall-A is a lovely visual novel where you play as a bartender in a dystopian cyberpunk setting. The writing is awesome (even if the game's sense of humor is also a bit juvenile at times). Between browsing a futuristic version of 4chan, reading articles in an openly clickbaity webzine, and following the intertwining lives of a variety of patrons, as well as gradually learning about the main character's own backstory, I was riveted from beginning to end. It also has a very moody and oddly soothing soundtrack that sounds like it came straight from an 80's sci-fi film.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic