Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 421 to 440 of 3,148

Vinny

Kirby's Return to Dreamland (2011): A fine Kirby game. The motion controlled Super Abilities are fun, but outside of that I found it a bit too convential.

I'll play Epic Yarn next.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

edhe

Kirby & the Amazing Mirror.

Seems to have taken inspiration from Metroid, because the world is divided up into zones and rooms, and you have to explore
Unfortunately, the map is abstract unlike Metroid, and so it's hard to judge exactly where a door will take you. Having beaten it though, I have access to a greatsword which will allow me to bypass all of the puzzles that would require specific kirby powers, so it should be a little easier to get the 100% now.

I went into the boss with 9 lives, and lost my last life on what I originally thought was the last hit of the last phase of the game - very tricky. Thankfully, I was able to do it with the 3 lives (plus health and 1-UP top ups in between the fights) on the second try.

I had also beaten Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright prior to that, and I'll get on to the next part when I make up my next backloggery list, most likely. The release date for Zero Time Dilemma is drawing near, so I may want to prioritise that.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Vinny

Super Mario Galaxy (2007): I loved everything about it. The motion and pointer controls were really well implemented. The physics are my favorite on a 3D Mario. The orchestrated soundtrack is just beautiful.

The levels are generally more straightforward than 64 or Sunshine. You explore a bit more of the level at each different objective. They may not be very extense, but they are numerous and there's a huge variety of them. The boss fights were very fun.

One of the best games I've ever played, no doubt. It's just so good.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

RR529

Monument Valley (Android)

What an absolutely beautiful experience. Everything was crafted with such imagination & care, I just couldn't wait to see what splendors would await to please my eyes in the next level.

It was a nice little puzzle game, and very relaxing (never felt that it was too tough). I haven't yet bought the DLC, but I will eventually.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Vinny

Zero Time Dilemma (2016): It's a good conclusion for the series but it leaves many questions unanswered One of the biggest ones being Kyle from VLR. He was supposed to be very important to the game at the Mars test mission, but he isn't mentioned at all.

The fragment system works well enough and the cutscene format makes it more "compact", since there's not much room for filler dialogue.
My favorite new character from the game is Carlos by far. I didn't like any of the members of q-team, but all of the returning characters were pretty great.
The Puzzle rooms have varying difficulty, but overall I thought VLR had harder ones.

If I were to rate the games in the series, it would be 999>VLR>ZTD. The game had great stuff like the stranded pair ending (one of the best in the series, for sure), but I found it to be lacking in many aspects in comparison to the previous games.

Edited on by Vinny

Whydoievenbother

Vanquish If you're in the mood for a unique satire of the Sci-Fi Cover Shooter genre (Specifically the Gears of War series) Vanquish will not let you down.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Vinny

Ikachan (2000): Very short platformer by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya, who would make Cave Story 4 years later. You play as a little squid exploring a underground cave, helping other sea creatures. You can see many elements of the game were later implemented on Cave Story. (Ironhead even appears as a boss in Cave Story).

kkslider5552000

Beat Jet Set Radio. I try not to be nostalgia obsessed at all, plenty of good games come out all the time nowadays. But if you want a game to make you feel like games (retail games/3D games at least) have given up on creativity (and at times I swear, fun level design) in the past 15 years, this is such a great example. The game has so many issues (and not to mention playing on a keyboard on my terrible laptop was far from ideal) and throughout all of them, it still kept my interest more than so many other games could. Also, a defining example of how far style in a game can go.

Infuriating that it hasn't gotten a new game in so long too. There's so many problems which means there's so many opportunities to improve it. A Jet Set Radio now with more content, more gameplay ideals and everything polished like a high quality game nowadays would be an absolute masterpiece imo.

Need to play JSRF someday...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

Halo Anniversary (360)

My first experience with the series, and I thought it was a pretty good time. Once I fully digest it (just beat it maybe 2 hours ago), I'll leave my full impressions in the 360 thread.

That final segment though, was that ever the most nerve wrecking escape sequence ever...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

gcunit

@RR529 Assuming it's the same sequence as in the original version, then yeh, I thought it was a great way to end the game.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit It's the same with even the option to use the original graphics (i.e. be completely identical) with the press of a button. The only differences are with the multiplayer which is basically some remastered maps with Halo Reach style gameplay.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tyranexx

I finished the story in Professor Layton and the Curious Village last night. It was quite a great ending, helped by some excellent anime cutscenes (for the hardware). I'm not quite done with it yet as I hope to go in and look at a few of the extras, including the bonus puzzles.

In a sense, the ending could have been quite dark. Had Flora decided to claim her rightful inheritance, she could have effectively ended the "life" of everyone in the village barring Bruno and that weird directionally challenged explorer. While the story leaves the following thought ambiguous, I feel as though the villagers were, in their own way, sentient.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

@kkslider5552000 JSRF is certainly a step up, but not by as much as I'd hoped. So...enjoy your kindling. I'll just set it by the pile mountain.

Ah. I mean, I guess I'm not too surprised. I'm decently certain JSRF was one of those games that started as a Dreamcast game anyway and it came out in 2002 so it isn't like they had years and years to improve things.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

6ch6ris6

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@kkslider5552000 JSRF is certainly a step up, but not by as much as I'd hoped. So...enjoy your kindling. I'll just set it by the pile mountain.

Ah. I mean, I guess I'm not too surprised. I'm decently certain JSRF was one of those games that started as a Dreamcast game anyway and it came out in 2002 so it isn't like they had years and years to improve things.

jet set radio FUTURE is a big improvement !! the game is so much better than the first one and one of my absolute favourite games of all time. if you liked the first game then you will fall in love with the second one. it is better in every regard. the story is more interesting, the visuals are even better, the gameplay is WAYYYYY cooler and much more FUN. they only thing that wasnt THAT much improved is the soundtrack. there are just a few additional songs and the old ones have new (mostly better) versions.
get an xbox if you dont have one. it is worth it just for this game alone!

JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Vinny

Sonic Colors (2010, Wii version) and Muramasa: The Demon Blade (2009). Both are great games. Colors is my favorite 3D Sonic.

Edited on by Vinny

Ralizah

The Legend of Grimrock. Very fun game, although the final boss and ending are... underwhelming, to say the least. It's decently length at 20 or so hours and has a ton of secrets and stuff that encourage replaying it, not to mention a mode that seems to allow people to create their own custom dungeons and share them with others.

I'll definitely get Grimrock 2 at some point.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Late

BOXBOXBOY! (3DS eShop)
The extra worlds were a bit of a pain. Got through the game without any hints. Got all crowns. Only thing left to do is to get triple S from every world but I'm not going to do that since I feel it's pointless to have to speedrun a puzzle game. Worthy sequel but I didn't like it as much as the first game.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic