Forums

Topic: 1001 games you must play before you die

Posts 21 to 40 of 92

RandomWiiPlayer

I understand why Call of Duty, COD4 are on there, but can someone explain how MW2 is important to the history of games? And how could they possibly include Pokemon Diamond/Pearl instead of Blue/Red/Green/Yellow?

Edited on by RandomWiiPlayer

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

StarBoy91

I'm gonna say a few things regarding that list:

• Yay, The Lost Vikings!! One of the best games ever made, imo. Action/Platforming + Puzzle Elements = Awesome Combination
  • Super Mario Galaxy is my number one favorite game of all time
  • I don't exactly understand why Spider-Man 2 made the list and not the original (which I think surpasses the sequel in more ways than one), but, that's okay, to each his own
  • Plok is a very fun, albeit challenging, platformer; I love the Follin Brothers' soundtrack
  • Columns is absolutely addicting
  • Dig Dug is a classic all the way
  • Mr. Do!, while a clone of Dig Dug with a twist, is fun, too
  • Secret of Mana gets my vote for most heartpounding final boss battle ever, and the ring menu system is fun to use; soundtrack is absolutely fantastic
  • For some reason, I just can't get into Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is okay, but there are a couple of grievances I have with the game: losing power-ups every time I get hit by an enemy which annoys me, and racking up all the money just to gain those power-ups back can be quite tedious, imo
  • Oh, yeah, California Games, now that's what I'm talking about
  • Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island are my top 2 favorite 2D Mario platformers (latter > former)

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Bankai

Odnetnin wrote:

Okay, here goes nothing...

They chose CORE out of all of the BIT.TRIP games?! I can understand only having one to represent the series (even though both L4D titles were on there, as Chicken pointed out), but RUNNER and BEAT are easily the most recognizable/important games in the series, even if not necessarily the best. I suppose I should be glad the games are finally ingrained in mainstream gaming culture to the point that they are highlighted in this book, though. Any chance you could grab a scan of this entry so I could read why they chose it, Waltz?

Nice to see de Blob on there, haha.

Also, please don't tell me you wrote up this entire list, Waltz.

The only other game that was out when the entry was written was BEAT, and according to the piece Beat was "literally just a twitch game" while CORE is something more.

I can't comment as the only one in that series I've played is VOID.

I'm glad to see Gregory Horror Show there. Now that's an artistic game.

SpentAllMyTokens

I'll consider my life a success if I never have the time to play 1001 games in my life (unless human life expectancy ups significantly in my lifetime).

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Philip_J_Reed

Wait...of the entire Mega Man series, Mega Man 8 was the most important to the history of video games? That was the worst one! And no others even ranked?

That's...I'm sorry...but that's MADNESS.

Symphony of the Night being the earliest Castlevania game on there is also kind of disappointing (it deserves it, but so do the NES incarnations)...but Mega Man 8?

MEGA MAN 8?

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Tasuki

Chicken Brutus wrote:

Wait...of the entire Mega Man series, Mega Man 8 was the most important to the history of video games? That was the worst one! And no others even ranked?

That's...I'm sorry...but that's MADNESS.

Symphony of the Night being the earliest Castlevania game on there is also kind of disappointing (it deserves it, but so do the NES incarnations)...but Mega Man 8?

MEGA MAN 8?

Yep I would think that Megaman 2 would be there rather than 8.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

harusame

Unlike music, books, movies, food, and whatever else there have been "1001 must before you die" books about, video games haven't been around long enough to justify a list that long. The older games on the list are mostly classics but did they really have to put every half-decent title from the last 10 years on the list (including 106 games from 2009, seriously)? They should have settled for a 101 or 202-list or waited 50 or so years before making this one.

harusame

Platypus

I would replace Ratchet and Clank size matters with A crack in time. and Red Dead Revolver with Red Dead Redemption.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

Bankai

harusame wrote:

Unlike music, books, movies, food, and whatever else there have been "1001 must before you die" books about, video games haven't been around long enough to justify a list that long. The older games on the list are mostly classics but did they really have to put every half-decent title from the last 10 years on the list (including 106 games from 2009, seriously)? They should have settled for a 101 or 202-list or waited 50 or so years before making this one.

Edit - no wait I think that's "1001 music albums" - so about as long as games then.

The fact there's this book exists at all means the world is waking up to the social importance of video games. Whatever you feel about the quality of the list, this is a good thing that this book is around.

I do understand why they weight the book to more recent games though. Because recent games are more approachable for people. If you look at 1001 Movies, it's the same deal - there's relatively few movies from the early 20 years of Hollywood, and the last decade is relatively packed.

Edited on by Bankai

Rob_mc_1

At least Big Rig Over the Ridge Racing isn't on the list.

♠♦♣

turtlelink

13 out of 17 (14 if you don't count remakes and Links Crossbow Training) Zelda games MUST be played people!

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

SuperMarioFan96

I've played 66 of them. I'm glad to see Rolando 2 made the list.... anyone with an iThing should check that out NOW!

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

LordJumpMad

SuperMan 64

Go on and play it, I dare you

Edited on by LordJumpMad

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Chrono_Cross

Hmmm, I see they forgot Elevator Action...

To be honest, theres quite a few games that deserve to be in this list but at the same time theres quite a few that don`t.
(Elebits, Crackdown, Left4Dead 2, Naked War??)

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

retired_account

11% aka 115. Those aren't necessarily ones I own, but I've at least played them. :3

Also, I'm SO happy Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is on this list. That game is seriously the best DS game I've ever played, and it seems to have gotten overlooked by practically everyone.

retired_account

harusame

WaltzElf wrote:

Edit - no wait I think that's "1001 music albums" - so about as long as games then.

Vinyls have been around for at least 20 years longer than video games and I'm sure the book also has classical music albums from composers who lived hundreds of years ago, so it's not really a fair comparison.

WaltzElf wrote:

If you look at 1001 Movies, it's the same deal - there's relatively few movies from the early 20 years of Hollywood, and the last decade is relatively packed.

I actually own that book (the 2008 edition). I'm too lazy to count the individual movies but my edition has 89 pages of movies from the 40's, 142 from the 70's, and 68 from the last 10 years (meaning 1998-2007), so it's a lot better balanced than the video game book. Of course very few games made prior to 1985 are worth playing today, but that doesn't excuse the 106 games from last year. The video game industry is simply too young to have produced 1001 must-play classics worth mentioning in a book like this.

And most of their choices are just plain wrong anyway.

Edit: Just went through the listed games and I think I've played (at least tried) around 400 of them.

Edited on by harusame

harusame

Arkia

I have played 206 of the games on that list. Found some of the choices to be odd though (Mega Man 8 as the only Mega Man game?!). Was happy to see a few games like Spelunky on the list though.

Kid_A

Any book that speaks positively of Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts is a book that I can respect

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.