Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 661 to 680 of 782

RevolverLink

GamecubeLad wrote:

I intend to buy Ace Attorney 5. However I would like to play a previous entry in the series. What game would be a good game to consider to buy before 5 comes out so Im not completely lost when 5 comes out in America (probably in a year).

While I think 3 (Trials and Tribulations) is the strongest entry in the series, and while it features both my favorite prosecutor (Godot) and my favorite case (Bridge to the Turnabout), a large part of what makes it so special are the characters you've gotten to know about & care for over the course of the two previous games and that it provides resolution to plotlines that started back in the very first Ace Attorney. I just can't imagine it being nearly as emotionally satisfying without having experienced 1 and 2.

Anyway, 1 (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) and 4 (Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney) are probably the two best places for a total newcomer to jump into the series with the least amount of trouble; 1 because it's the very beginning the whole thing, obviously, but if you only intend to play one game in preparation for Dual Destinies, 4 might be the better place to start.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney was something like the beginning of a new story arc for the series; it took place several years after the end of the original trilogy, introduced new story threads and featured a mostly-new cast of characters, so 5 will likely contain more direct story & character connections to it than some of the older games. It's also, by simple virtue of being the first game in the series to originally be developed for the DS instead of the GBA, the prettiest game of the bunch and has the most advanced, though admittedly still pretty limited and simple, investigation mechanics.

(I just realized that the post I responded to was made nearly two months ago. Oh well, I'll leave this here anyway.)

Edited on by RevolverLink

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

CanisWolfred

I was actually going to ask a similar question. Since I have the first, but can't obtain the second game due to how rare and expensive it is, I'll probably skip straight to Apollo Justice once I finish the first.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Toad160

If I missed out on playing Super Princess Peach, would it be worth it to purchase it now to play through it? I am kind of interested in what it may offer in my Mario experience, and I've always wondered what it would be like if the tables were turned. What do you guys think?

Currently Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon X, Percy's Predicament, NES Remix
Instagram: thegreatmerlon
3DS FC: 0173-1806-9449

mookysam

I was thinking of buying Super Princess Peach the other day. It seems pretty sexist based on what I've read. She has four powers linked to her emotions. One of them is rag rage Peach.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RevolverLink

My brother keeps nudging me toward getting the Mega Man Zero Collection, especially since I've been on such a Mega Man kick lately (right now, I'm gradually downloading and beating all of the NES games - completely out of order, for some reason - from the 3DS eShop and borrowing the Mega Man X Collection from him), and I'm leaning towards doing so the next time I get some disposable income.

As a heads up, it's only $17 new at Amazon right now.

Edited on by RevolverLink

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Yoshi_8793

I was wondering if there were any DS games could buy that have good single cart DS Download Play. I'm going away with a couple of friends for a few weeks, so we're looking for some games we can play together. I already have New Super Mario Bros, Mario Party DS and Mario Kart DS.

On top of this, I was looking for a DS game I could buy which you can play for a long time. For this, I already own both Zelda games and every Dragon Quest. Any recommendations?

Animal Crossing 3DS - Can't Wait
Proud owner of Flashlight and Discolight

Nintendo Network ID: StuartBaggs

CanisWolfred

Yoshi_8793 wrote:

On top of this, I was looking for a DS game I could buy which you can play for a long time. For this, I already own both Zelda games and every Dragon Quest. Any recommendations?

I can't help ya with the download play thing, but I know plenty of good, long games for the DS:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and both Devil Survivor games are great, and have a lot of replayability.

Radiant Historia is probably one of the best games to hit the DS.

I'm also personally fond of Solatorobo: The Red Hunter, which despite it's lack of difficulty is still quite a meaty game.

Etrian Odyssey III is pretty hardcore, but can last you literally Hundreds of hours.

Okamiden doesn't get mentioned enough, but it's really good too, and it's got a good length, as well as a New Game+.

I quite enjoyed Disgaea DS, and if you don't have a PSP, it's a great place to start the series. It has practically infinite replay value, though the story mode itself is only about 40 hours.

Rune Factory 3 is always good fun, and incredibly long. It is slow paced and relies heavily on self-motivated goals, though.

Both Final Fantasy III and IV are good if you don't mind the art style.

If you consider the Zeldas long, then I guess the Castlevania games should fit the bill. Out of the 3, I like Portrait of Ruin the most, but all 3 are stellar games (though Dawn of Sorrow has some annoying touch screen gimmicks...)

Lunar Knights was good fun from what I recall, took me a fair amount of time to beat and has a New Game Plus as well.

Both Mario & Luigi games are pretty fun. Short for RPGs, but no shorter than the DS Zelda games.

...huh, I thought this'd be a really long list, but I'm honestly struggling to find more DS games that have held up well that are long...at this rate, I'll have more 3DS games to recommend than DS games before you know it...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Yoshi_8793

Thanks for that list, been looking for DS games for days and some of the titles you mentioned never came up!

I was going to buy Radiant Historia, but I couldn't find it anywhere in Europe under £40. So I brought Okamiden for £10 off eBay. I figured I'd enjoy since I played Okami HD on PS3 and it was quite good.

I also got the NTSC version of Etain Odyssey III of Amazon, so I'll have to take my DS Lite with my 3DS.

I also thought I might as well buy both Mario & Luigi's, because they sell for nothing these days.

Again, thanks for such a long list, it's really appreciated!

Animal Crossing 3DS - Can't Wait
Proud owner of Flashlight and Discolight

Nintendo Network ID: StuartBaggs

JamesFox

I'm thinking on importing the DS "Inazuma Eleven" games from the UK
I has a question ... is the "Inazuma Eleven" games easy to play for gamers like me?

JamesFox

Nintendo Network ID: RetroToonMaster | Twitter:

NeoZuko

My DS game list currently looks like this:

NDS

1* Super Mario 64 DS or NSMB
2) Zelda: Spirit Tracks
3) Tetris DS
4) Mario & Luigi: BIS
5) Chrono Trigger DS
6) Dragon Quest IX
7* The World Ends With You
8) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
9) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
10) Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

")" = Bought

Edited on by NeoZuko

NeoZuko

NeoZuko

Missing any great games here ?

Edited on by NeoZuko

NeoZuko

Captain_Toad

@NeoZuko Oh right. May I recommend Knights in the knightmare. If you can stomach the big tutorial and get in grips with the control you'll find a pretty sweet RPG/bullet hell hybrid.
Henry Hatsworth and the puzzling adventure is a good one too.
I also see you haven't picked up Mario and Luigi Partners in Time and Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

NeoZuko

I saw Partners in Time and Phantom Hourglass at Toys R US today but I'm unsure if I would enjoy them as much as the sequels seem so much better. Would I like them? Will I come back to them once in a while over the better sequels? That kind of thing. And I want to add SM64DS so bad but I keep taking it off my list due to the lack of analog controls. Well there is always the Wii VC version.

Edited on by NeoZuko

NeoZuko

kbeast

Hard decision here :c Which one of these three games do you guys recommend; Radiant Historia, Devil Survivor 2 or Strange Journey? I don't want to get all three of these because I got my copy of FFIV today and I need some time to play what I buy too + I own a 3DS so it seems kinda pointless to buy lots of DS games when I can go for 3DS.

kbeast

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic