Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 641 to 660 of 782

Gamesake

I liked the Dark Spire alright, I'd rather play Etrian Odyssey though. I know Dark Spire was supposed to have a retro Wizardry sort of theme, but like Mad World I got tired of the lack of colors. There are lots of random encounters and lots of grinding right from the start. I only got through one floor and parts of two others over the course of at least five or six hours--you'll be compelled to play more just to make any kind of progress. Your stats are all randomly generated which is annoying. I had some fun in the Dark Spire but I wouldn't pay too much for it.

...in my pants.

Crazybrain1

What about Animal Crossing?
Is that good at all?

Do you truly look at things positively? For example, do you look at the glass like it's always full? (Half water, half air.) Or when someone "lets the cat out of the bag," do you think it's because the person felt sorry for the cat stuck in the bag? There is a positive side to almost everythin...

DarkCoolEdge

Between Dragon Quest IV and The World Ends With You I'd say the latter. DQIV is a great game but the uniqueness of TWEWY has to be enjoy. It takes a bit to appreciate it (not much, maybe an hour) but it is worth that and much more. Very good story, well developed characters, combat variety, fantastic music, very nice graphics, adjustable difficulty on the fly, an awesome game.

Solatorobo is a good game but nothing spectacular. Simple combat, almost unnecesary upgrades, average story....
I'd give it a 6 or a 7. The problem is that there are a lot of better RPGs for the system (TWEWY, all DQ, FF, Radiant Historia, shin Megami Tensei...).

About Animal Crossing, I didn't like it, not even a bit. It baffles me adoration it receives, I don't see anything fun in it :s

Edited on by DarkCoolEdge

Currently playing: check my backloggery
http://www.backloggery.com/DarkCoolEdge

3DS Friend Code: 3265-5151-4824 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkCoolEdge | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Solatorobo is fantastic.

Supermarioman wrote:

Anybody know anything about The Dark Spire. I've been looking at the game for a while now and it seems intriguing to me at least. I've had a renewed interest in the DS recently so it seems appropriate for me to look into it.

It's a pretty great. I'd actually say I liked it more than the original Etrian Odyssey. It has a great aesthetic and music, and even includes a retro mode (which I didn't use very much, since I had more nightmares from Wizardry than nostalgia). It's combat and skill system is pretty interesting despite being mostly standard. What I liked most was exploring the dungeon. It's large, and full of traps, puzzles, and monsters. It's a game about knowing your limits and using your head to stay alive. That said, it is a very difficult game. You pretty much need one of each of the 4 starter classes just to make it through the first floor, and even the opening area has monster you simply have to run from, or you'll die. On the plus side, you can save anywhere in the dungeon.

I should also mention that the story is surprisingly intriguing, despite not being a big aspect of the game. Oh, and I found the side characters you meet along the way really growing on me.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ilovegaming

Solatorobo is such a great game but what amazed me the most with it is the charm it has. The game's world made me hope the game wouldn't end and the characters were adorable.

FC: 1504-5926-3130
Expanding my Friend Safari! :D
In game name: Maiden
Safari type- Fire: Braixen, Charmeleon, Ponyta

Crazybrain1

What about these games?

Treasure World
Nervous Brickdown
Big Bang Mini

Do you truly look at things positively? For example, do you look at the glass like it's always full? (Half water, half air.) Or when someone "lets the cat out of the bag," do you think it's because the person felt sorry for the cat stuck in the bag? There is a positive side to almost everythin...

Birdman

@Crazybrain1 - If you can find a copy, I'd recommend Big Bang Mini. Definitely an underrated gem in the DS's library with loads of content.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

RudysaurusRex

CanisWolfred wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Ok with the release of Super C on the VC it got me thinking I need some more handheld run and gun action. So I was wondering how does Contra 4 compare to the original or Super C. Is it alot different like some of the previous Contra games?

It's a love-letter to the originals, taking what made them good, ramping them up, and adding new features to capitalize on the dual screens. It's not perfect - it's insanely difficult, moreso than the first two in my opinion, even easy will test your patience. This is made worse by the lack of a save feature, which was the main reason I had to sell my copy - I got really far, but I could not turn the game off while playing it, and it's too stressful for me to do all in one sitting. You can leave it on sleep mode, but sometimes when I do that, I kinda just forget it's on.

It's still a fantastic game, though. If they offered saves for at least the lower difficulties, I think it would've been one of the best on the DS. I really outta rebuy it someday...Actually, it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now...only $16.67 w/ Super Saver.

Funny story, Canis, you actually can just exit the game and start from where you were. I do it all the time on my DS.

SPREAD THE JOY OF THE GREAT TURTLE
HE IS UPON US AND WILL TAKE US TO THE GREAT WAVE
JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE REDEEMED
THE COURT OF TURTLES

3DS Friend Code: 0061-3403-4305 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexTheGrayt | Twitter:

Geonjaha

@Spanish_Bread - Yoshi's Touch & Go would be my recommendation. There's no emphasis on story, it's not an RPG/Puzzle game, it's definitely a pick-up and play game, highscore based, with nice music and graphics. It's basically a side scrolling Yoshi's Island game but based around surviving as long as possible and getting high scores. It's actually one of my favourite DS games out of something like the 50 I've played because its something I can keep going back to. Yoshi's Island DS was somewhat of a disappointment, but to me this game made up for it. You can also pick it up for a pretty low price used.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

GamecubeMan

I intend to buy Ace Attorney 5. However I would like to play a previous entry in the series. What game would be a good game to consider to buy before 5 comes out so Im not completely lost when 5 comes out in America (probably in a year).

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

ThePirateCaptain

@GamecubeMan
The series has a continuing story so i'd recommend starting with the first game and playing through them in order if you want to get the most out of it.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

CanisWolfred

RudyBelmont wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Ok with the release of Super C on the VC it got me thinking I need some more handheld run and gun action. So I was wondering how does Contra 4 compare to the original or Super C. Is it alot different like some of the previous Contra games?

It's a love-letter to the originals, taking what made them good, ramping them up, and adding new features to capitalize on the dual screens. It's not perfect - it's insanely difficult, moreso than the first two in my opinion, even easy will test your patience. This is made worse by the lack of a save feature, which was the main reason I had to sell my copy - I got really far, but I could not turn the game off while playing it, and it's too stressful for me to do all in one sitting. You can leave it on sleep mode, but sometimes when I do that, I kinda just forget it's on.

It's still a fantastic game, though. If they offered saves for at least the lower difficulties, I think it would've been one of the best on the DS. I really outta rebuy it someday...Actually, it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now...only $16.67 w/ Super Saver.

Funny story, Canis, you actually can just exit the game and start from where you were. I do it all the time on my DS.

Good tip. I just rebought the game, so I'll be sure to do that. Thanks.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AccessibleDaydream

I'm here to wake this thread from the dead!

Crazy rhyme aside, I need some help on deciding which Dragon Quest DS game to buy. Because of various reasons, I can only buy ONE of these games. Thus I would appreciate knowing which one is the best for a brand new newcomer to the Dragon Quest series:

• Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Blade
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  • Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation

As was stated above I have NEVER played a single Dragon Quest game before. I also have absolutely no one that I could play multiplayer with.
Thank you for your assistance.

AccessibleDaydream

Switch Friend Code: SW-2307-0614-2423 | My Nintendo: Dj64Mk7 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter:

ThePirateCaptain

@Chris
I'd say that IX might be the most accessible for a newcomer, but V is also one of the best in the series.

ThePirateCaptain

AccessibleDaydream

CapnPancakes wrote:

@Chris
I'd say that IX might be the most accessible for a newcomer, but V is also one of the best in the series.

Doesn't IX have pars that require you to connect with other players or something like that?

AccessibleDaydream

Switch Friend Code: SW-2307-0614-2423 | My Nintendo: Dj64Mk7 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter:

ThePirateCaptain

^You can play the game in online co-op, but it's not required to beat the game.

ThePirateCaptain

AccessibleDaydream

Now it's between these three:

• Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Blade
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Which one should I get first to start me off in the series (easy to get into), and which one should I get second to continue the awesomeness?

AccessibleDaydream

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic