DSi / DS Forum

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Showing 681 to 700 of 729

AuthorMessage

RudysaurusRex

681. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Ok with the release of Super C on the VC it got me thinking I need some more handheld run and gun action. So I was wondering how does Contra 4 compare to the original or Super C. Is it alot different like some of the previous Contra games?

It's a love-letter to the originals, taking what made them good, ramping them up, and adding new features to capitalize on the dual screens. It's not perfect - it's insanely difficult, moreso than the first two in my opinion, even easy will test your patience. This is made worse by the lack of a save feature, which was the main reason I had to sell my copy - I got really far, but I could not turn the game off while playing it, and it's too stressful for me to do all in one sitting. You can leave it on sleep mode, but sometimes when I do that, I kinda just forget it's on.

It's still a fantastic game, though. If they offered saves for at least the lower difficulties, I think it would've been one of the best on the DS. I really outta rebuy it someday...Actually, it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now...only $16.67 w/ Super Saver.

Funny story, Canis, you actually can just exit the game and start from where you were. I do it all the time on my DS.

Wibbely-wobbely timey-wimey.
Pokemon W2 FC: 5415 8785 0283
My Awesomloggery
The best troll thread ever

Twitter: rudydog13

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

682. Posted:

@Spanish_Bread - Yoshi's Touch & Go would be my recommendation. There's no emphasis on story, it's not an RPG/Puzzle game, it's definitely a pick-up and play game, highscore based, with nice music and graphics. It's basically a side scrolling Yoshi's Island game but based around surviving as long as possible and getting high scores. It's actually one of my favourite DS games out of something like the 50 I've played because its something I can keep going back to. Yoshi's Island DS was somewhat of a disappointment, but to me this game made up for it. You can also pick it up for a pretty low price used.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

GamecubeMan

683. Posted:

I intend to buy Ace Attorney 5. However I would like to play a previous entry in the series. What game would be a good game to consider to buy before 5 comes out so Im not completely lost when 5 comes out in America (probably in a year).

Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
I only see GC 4.0 happening if I become a English major. Yeah... not happening.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

684. Posted:

@GamecubeMan
The series has a continuing story so i'd recommend starting with the first game and playing through them in order if you want to get the most out of it.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

685. Posted:

RudyBelmont wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Ok with the release of Super C on the VC it got me thinking I need some more handheld run and gun action. So I was wondering how does Contra 4 compare to the original or Super C. Is it alot different like some of the previous Contra games?

It's a love-letter to the originals, taking what made them good, ramping them up, and adding new features to capitalize on the dual screens. It's not perfect - it's insanely difficult, moreso than the first two in my opinion, even easy will test your patience. This is made worse by the lack of a save feature, which was the main reason I had to sell my copy - I got really far, but I could not turn the game off while playing it, and it's too stressful for me to do all in one sitting. You can leave it on sleep mode, but sometimes when I do that, I kinda just forget it's on.

It's still a fantastic game, though. If they offered saves for at least the lower difficulties, I think it would've been one of the best on the DS. I really outta rebuy it someday...Actually, it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now...only $16.67 w/ Super Saver.

Funny story, Canis, you actually can just exit the game and start from where you were. I do it all the time on my DS.

Good tip. I just rebought the game, so I'll be sure to do that. Thanks.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ChrisT99

686. Posted:

I'm here to wake this thread from the dead!

Crazy rhyme aside, I need some help on deciding which Dragon Quest DS game to buy. Because of various reasons, I can only buy ONE of these games. Thus I would appreciate knowing which one is the best for a brand new newcomer to the Dragon Quest series:

• Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Blade
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  • Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation

As was stated above I have NEVER played a single Dragon Quest game before. I also have absolutely no one that I could play multiplayer with.
Thank you for your assistance.

I've had a tough life with lots of ups and downs, but I'm working on improving it.

3DS Friend Code: 3437-3231-8348 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

687. Posted:

@Chris
I'd say that IX might be the most accessible for a newcomer, but V is also one of the best in the series.

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

ChrisT99

688. Posted:

CapnPancakes wrote:

@Chris
I'd say that IX might be the most accessible for a newcomer, but V is also one of the best in the series.

Doesn't IX have pars that require you to connect with other players or something like that?

I've had a tough life with lots of ups and downs, but I'm working on improving it.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

689. Posted:

^You can play the game in online co-op, but it's not required to beat the game.

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

690. Posted:

If you've never played a Dragon Quest game before, I suggest playing IV. I felt it was the best at teaching the basics.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ChrisT99

691. Posted:

Now it's between these three:

• Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Blade
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Which one should I get first to start me off in the series (easy to get into), and which one should I get second to continue the awesomeness?

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

692. Posted:

Start with IV, go on to V. You'll get some of the references better that way.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ChrisT99

693. Posted:

Ok I'll do that. Thanks.

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

694. Posted:

GamecubeLad wrote:

I intend to buy Ace Attorney 5. However I would like to play a previous entry in the series. What game would be a good game to consider to buy before 5 comes out so Im not completely lost when 5 comes out in America (probably in a year).

While I think 3 (Trials and Tribulations) is the strongest entry in the series, and while it features both my favorite prosecutor (Godot) and my favorite case (Bridge to the Turnabout), a large part of what makes it so special are the characters you've gotten to know about & care for over the course of the two previous games and that it provides resolution to plotlines that started back in the very first Ace Attorney. I just can't imagine it being nearly as emotionally satisfying without having experienced 1 and 2.

Anyway, 1 (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) and 4 (Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney) are probably the two best places for a total newcomer to jump into the series with the least amount of trouble; 1 because it's the very beginning the whole thing, obviously, but if you only intend to play one game in preparation for Dual Destinies, 4 might be the better place to start.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney was something like the beginning of a new story arc for the series; it took place several years after the end of the original trilogy, introduced new story threads and featured a mostly-new cast of characters, so 5 will likely contain more direct story & character connections to it than some of the older games. It's also, by simple virtue of being the first game in the series to originally be developed for the DS instead of the GBA, the prettiest game of the bunch and has the most advanced, though admittedly still pretty limited and simple, investigation mechanics.

(I just realized that the post I responded to was made nearly two months ago. Oh well, I'll leave this here anyway.)

Edited on by RevolverLink

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

695. Posted:

I was actually going to ask a similar question. Since I have the first, but can't obtain the second game due to how rare and expensive it is, I'll probably skip straight to Apollo Justice once I finish the first.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

696. Posted:

@CanisWolfred: I think I just might go the Wiiware route for the second game. Much cheaper that way.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

697. Posted:

I can't consistantly get my Wii on the internet anymore with my new router. :(

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Toad160

698. Posted:

If I missed out on playing Super Princess Peach, would it be worth it to purchase it now to play through it? I am kind of interested in what it may offer in my Mario experience, and I've always wondered what it would be like if the tables were turned. What do you guys think?

Currently Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon X, Percy's Predicament, NES Remix
Instagram: thegreatmerlon
3DS FC: 0173-1806-9449

AuthorMessage

JamesFox

699. Posted:

any recommendations for DS imports of the You Can Play This variety?

JamesFox

Nintendo Network ID: RetroToonMaster | Twitter: CyberKFox

AuthorMessage

mookysam

700. Posted:

I was thinking of buying Super Princess Peach the other day. It seems pretty sexist based on what I've read. She has four powers linked to her emotions. One of them is rag rage Peach.

Edited on by mookysam

mookysam