In the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct it's been confirmed that Capcom is bringing both Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 to your favourite hybrid handheld console this autumn.
The segment started off with a young couple heading to a mansion to play the recently released original Resident Evil on their Switch, before the reveal that two of the later games are also on the way. Here's a quick summary of the features coming in Resident Evil 5 from the official blurb:
• Play Anywhere: Play Resident Evil 5 on the go using the Nintendo Switch system’s handheld or at home in tabletop mode.
• All Previously Released DLC: Includes costumes, game modes, figurines and bonus story scenarios “Lost in Nightmares” and “Desperate Escape.”
• Two Playable Characters: Chris Redfield, protagonist of the original Resident Evil, partners with African BSAA agent Sheva Alomar to investigate the cause behind the bioterrorism epidemic.
• Two Player Local or Online Co-op: Cooperatively-focused gameplay that revolutionized the way that Resident Evil is played. Chris and Sheva must work together to survive various challenges and fight dangerous hordes of enemies.
• Score High in Mercenaries: In “The Mercenaries United” mode, take on waves of iconic enemies and bosses in a limited time period to achieve a high score. This mode features 8 playable characters like Albert Wesker and Jill Valentine, each with different costumes and loadouts to choose from.
• Fear Light as Much as Shadow: Lighting effects provide an intense level of suspense as players attempt to survive in both harsh sunlight and extreme darkness.
And here are the details for the sixth entry:
• Play Anywhere: Play Resident Evil 6 on the go using the Nintendo Switch system’s handheld or at home in tabletop mode.
• Horror on a global scale: No longer confined to a specific location, the outbreak of the C-virus is worldwide with the action taking place in North America, Eastern Europe and China
• 8 Playable Characters, 4 Unique Campaigns: Play through 4 intertwined campaigns starring Chris Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, Jake Muller, Ada Wong and their partners.
• 2 Player Local and Online Co-op: Experience the stories locally or online with a friend.
• Crossover Campaigns: At significant points when the narrative draws pairs of characters together, the new Crossover mechanic allows up to four players to experience the horror together online.
• Agent Hunt Mode: In this new online mode for the Resident Evil series, experience the action from the other side as you take control of enemy forces. • All Previously Released DLC: Includes all map packs, special costumes, plus the ‘Onslaught’, ‘Predator’ and ‘Survivors’ multiplayer game modes
Although they're in the running for the two least-loved in the Biohazard family (the sixth entry especially), it's nice to see the series coming on the handheld - we're just missing the recent remake of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and we'll have the whole set (if we include the Japan-only, cloud-only Resident Evil 7).
Do you think these are underrated entries in the Biohazard canon? Let us know if you've be picking these up below.