Footage and Details Emerge of Mega Audino in Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Expanding on details from the previous leak

Earlier this week a premature post on the official Korean website for Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire leaked Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino for the upcoming releases. The Pokémon Company has now taken the opportunity at Gamescom to reveal some official details and footage of Mega Audino, providing formal confirmation of much of the information that previously came out.

Below is an excerpt from the press release outlining some key facts around Mega Audino.

Audino was not known to evolve from, or to, any other form, so this is an interesting twist in the mysterious story of Mega Evolution.

Before Mega Evolving, Audino is known to use the feelers on its ears to tell how others are feeling or when a Pokémon Egg might hatch. It may have either the Healer Ability or the Regenerator Ability. After Mega Evolving, Mega Audino adds Fairy-type to its Normal-type, automatically gaining all the advantages of a Fairy-type Pokémon. Mega Audino also always has the Healer Ability.

Thanks to its improved Defense and Special Defense stats, Mega Audino can be a great support in Double Battles.

In addition we have a new trailer and some assets showing off the new Mega Evolution, so check them out and let us know what you think.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

Well now the Pokémon can be more useful and not a complete ripoff of Blissey. Let's hope they put in trainers who use this to get loads of EXP.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@ModestFan93 Mega evolutions don't seem to give more EXP than regular versions so you just waste time watching the transform animation. As for traininers, battle Chateau Furosade girls only carry Audino, great EXP.

Wouldn't mind having an Audino horde though as Battle Chateau can only have 10 trainers inside and if it isn't the class with the Audino or elite 4 there is no point using Chateau.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I wonder why they didn't mention mega slowbro? I think Mega Audino looks cute. I think I'm going to draw her. I did a drawing of mega diancie and it turned out pretty good.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

Honestly, I see no reason for Mega Audino to exist, but perhaps I'll change my mind after actually playing the game!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Pokefanmum82 I reckon that is meant to be shown at worlds this Sunday. Last year I believe that is where Kangaskarn was shown.

@TheJebou It gives a lot of EXP which is very useful...In battle its support abilities are good and its durability make that useful. Still taunt does shut it down and it is fairly useless in singles.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

I personally don't see why I'd use this mega over one with:
*Better Offense (Mega Gengar)
*Better Defense (Mega Venusaur)
*Better Everything (Mega Kang)

Serebii

Serebii said:

@GloverMist With increased Defense and Special Defense, its previous bulk, and its diverse movepool, it's going to be a supporting monster.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Klobb it won't be. Healer is copmletely useless in singles, so it effectively loses a useful ability and has no ability in singles. Unless they just about double all it's stats across the board chansey/blissey are far better.

Also remember it has to mega evolve before gaining fairy type so it can't even switch into dragon attacks. Basically it has to switch in, take a neutral hit with 86 base def/s.def, lost regenerator so it won't recover the damage on switch out, it's also very slow so mega evolve and take a second hit before it gets it's first attack off.

doubles/tripples is the only place it has a tiny chance but those formats don't favor defensive play at all and it still has the switch in problem.

To me losing regenerator shows how little they understand how the game works. Slowbro is the same way, his whole purpose is to use regenerator to be able to safely switch in to set up trick room or remove a threat and get out healing off the damage.

Serebii

Serebii said:

@Yorumi Pretty sure they know exactly how the game works. Come on.

What these Mega Evolutions do, what almost all other Mega Evolutions, too, is change how a Pokémon is used, not just pander to how it used to be used. You can still use Slowbro and Audino that way.

The way Mega Slowbro will work, with increased Defense, is shrug off those hits considering how bulky it is, and thanks to its increased Special Attack, it'll hit hard.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Serebii regenerator effectively gives a pokemon more defense, in a game where switching is common 1/3 hp on every switch is a ton of healing. Regenerator is made even more useful in it's ability to counteract recoil damage, life orb/double edge etc. One of these pokemon gains an ability that's totally 100% useless in half the battle formats and is barely useful in the other half. The other pokemon picks up protection from crits when no one playing is ever really concerned with crits.

It's like giving up magic bounce to gain pickup. If they know how competitive gameplay works then they're intentionally trolling with this stuff. It's either ignorance or they deliberately make the game extremely unbalanced.

Serebii

Serebii said:

@Yorumi They truly do know how competitive gameplay works. Yes, Regenerator is awesome, but it's not the be-all and end-all.

Also, most players care about critical hits when it screws them. Don't just dismiss it.

They know what they're doing. You'll see.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Serebii it is the end all be all when you're trading it for a useless ability. Especially on a cleric. If mega audino had any chance of ever being useful it was lost the moment they decided to take regenerator off. Unless they double his stats across the board there's no defending this. They've proven over and over they don't care about balance, like giving blaziken and gengar megas, while ignoring hundreds of useless pokemon. Then they take a bottom tier pokemon and just flat out take away the most useful ability it had and replaced it with literally nothing is half the battle formats including the most popular one.

It's a cleric, it's competing with clefable(magic guard/unaware), chansey(eviolite), blissey(natural cure), umbreom(synchronize), sylveon(pixilate, high sp.att/hp), and vaporeon(very high hp, good attach stats, water absorb) among others. Some of those are even capable of competing in smogon's uber tier. Even with double(172 base def/sp.def) I'd probably still use one of these for a cleric over audino without regenerator.

Serebii

Serebii said:

@Yorumi They really do care about "balance". You're making statements and assertions just based upon you not liking what they're doing.

If you want to use Regenerator Slowbro, then do so. These two Megas don't suddenly make the others not exist, they provide a different alternative. Plus, if Mega Slowbro's defense boost is substantial, then having Regenerator on it would be broken and fly in the face of "balance".

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Serebii I'm making factual statements about how they're unbalancing the game with things they do. Giving megas to Blaziken, gengar, and gyrados, some of the most powerful pokemon in the game is nothing short of insane if they care about balance. If they cared about balance there wouldn't be hundreds of completely unused fully evolved pokemon, they wouldn't be buffing already supremely powerful pokemon, or restricting to generation specific move tutors attacks that certain pokemon desperately need to have a competitive niche. When a move is lost to a move tutor in a generation advance it's an effective nerf to a pokemon, many of which are already severely underpowered.

Balance seeks to bring everything onto as equal a footing as possible, not select a small competitive core out of hundreds of others. If we don't want to question their motives then lets examine their results. Though not official it's pretty close, there are less than 50 pokemon in the OU tier. That means out of the over 700 pokemon, not even 10% are competitive. Fine some of those arn't fully evolved, so lets say less than 20% of pokemon are competitive. I'd say that's failure on any imaginable grading scale.

If they could get up to even 50% that would make a huge difference.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

@Serebii Yeah, I remembered that just after I posted my comment! It's gonna be one heck of a wall, with it's relatively high HP and Defences in the first place! Maybe I should re-think what I said...

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

@Yorumi You basically said all the problems I had with Mega Audino. The only thing that could work for it is focusing the 100 extra points into one or two stats to prioritize. There is just no reason for this Mega (or the Mega Slowbro abomination but I admit that may be useful at least) to exist. Give me Mega Lapras or something, Game Freak.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

>use as a double battle spot. I dont know. I would see it as a waste in doubles 6vs6, but maybe it can work on multibattles.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

I always thought Audino was a waste. It's only redeeming quality was the boosted exp you'd get if you fought one. Maybe it's not so worthless now?

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Jayvir no it's pretty much worthless still for all the reasons mentioned above. It's gaining defense and pretty much losing it's ability entirely. Keep in mind mega aggron has a full 230 base defense and reduction in SE damage, that still doesn't land him in the top tier. Unless this guys about 200 base defsense/sp.def he's just going to be an inferior version of the other clerics.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Yorumi Mega Audino looks like it is far more useful in Doubles, especially in VGC where you're not even using a full team. Pokemon like Amoonguss are actually low tier in Singles, but are decently common in VGC.

Keep in mind that some Pokemon fall into lower tiers not because they are bad, but because another Pokemon does the same job better. A good example is Blissey, who I'm pretty sure fell into lower tiers (well, Smogon's tiers) because Chansey simply does the job better.

Then there's Mandibuzz, who shot straight up to prominence in OU simply because of the new type chart and the buffs to Knock Off and Defog.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@IceClimbers the biggest thing is he's going to encounter the same thing, there will be plenty more far better clerics. Blissy is still present there, sylveon and clefable have much more useful abilities and present a strong offensive threat. Like I say unless it's gets truly astronomical defenses, and remember defense doesn't tend to be rewarded in doubles, it just has no prayer.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Yorumi That's true. Wonder if any of the new Megas will have their base stat spreads revealed before the game releases. Probably not though. Mega Audino should at least bring it out of the NU tier. Might be good in UU depending on how big of a boost it's defenses get.

Speaking of Sylveon, I seriously hope there are Move Tutors in ORAS and that Hyper Voice is one of those moves.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Different strokes for different folks. I don't really care about competitive battle, I just play for fun and do what I like. A friend of mine is overjoyed that Audino gets a mega and I'm all for variety.

RedBeanPorridge

RedBeanPorridge said:

Probably one of my favourite mega designs since its not so over the top looking like most other mega pokes. Though is it just me or does mega audino look smaller than regular audino?