The eShop Is "A Great Place To Be" And Packed With Unique Experiences, Say Curve Studios

Posted by Damien McFerran

Stealth Inc 2 expected to arrive around October

While the Wii U and 3DS eShops may not have the depth of content seen on the likes of the iOS App Store and Android Google Play market, they're still home to some amazing titles which simply cannot be experienced elsewhere — and that is part of the reason why Curve Studios is bringing Stealth Inc 2 to the Wii U as an exclusive release.

Speaking at Nintendo UK's post-E3 event last week, Curve founder Jonathan Biddle told us:

I think there's a lot of original stuff on the eShop — looking around here today there's loads of great content coming. It feels like a very different place to the other stores; it has things on there that aren't on the other stores and there's a lot of original things and unique experiences. There's nothing like what we're doing, so I'm very happy to be on there. The more people that get on there, the better the service becomes. I think it's a great place to be.

Biddle was kind enough to show us the latest build of Stealth Inc 2, which is roughly two months old in its Wii U guise. Biddle says that he and his team are aiming for an October release.

Check back later today for the full video interview and some some footage of Stealth Inc 2 in motion.

outburst

outburst said:

Don't every studio who are bringing their games to the eShop say the same thing? :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Scram Kitty.
Spin the Bottle Bumpies Party.
Nes Remix
Nes Remix 2
Pushmo World
Armillo
Nano Assault Neo
Pokemon Rumble U
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
Flowerworks HD: Follie's Adventure

Is there anything else that isn't a port (Most of the time they are ages late as well) ? (Even Pushmo or Mighty Switch Force is not that different to the 3DS).

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@unrandomsam Toki Tori 2 shouldn't be considered a port as the Wii U version was the lead version.
Monkey Pirates and Chasing Aurora are exclusives.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@unrandomsam - it's all about perspective right?

I think 1 or 2 unique Indies per month, which is where the eShop seems to be heading, plus a Nintendo branded eShop release a few times a year makes for a decent amount of options when you also throw in ports and whatever else makes it to the eShop. Then again if I can play 2 hours of video games a week I'm doing well so I don't have time for what I have.

jpelgrom

jpelgrom said:

"Android Google Play market"

It's either Android Market (not used any more) or Google Play, not a mix of both.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

@outburst: Yeah, lol. And as starved for contend as we are, it's an easy play to make. Next up: How "incredibly easy to work with" Nintendo was.

That would be a smart move actually, as it keeps the Nintendo mobs from complaining about a 'second rate port' or 'shovelware' when their version has missing features, because they think they're getting an exclusive, then release on other platforms because "the response was so overwhelmingly positive on WiiU".

dumedum

dumedum said:

The eshop is really impressive. Lots of Nintendo stuff, exclusives or console exclusives, and overall coolness.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@unrandomsam What is with you and ports? Just because a game is ported doesn't automatically equal bad. Like how you to told me to remove all ported games from my huge list of games coming to eShop because they don't count as games for some reason.

Action51

Action51 said:

@unrandomsam -
You seem to have a situation in search of needing to be a problem...

The fact is that MOST of the games on consoles are some form of "port"...
Look at Sony and Microsoft and third party games, those are all ports. Most of their digital shop spaces are ports. ...Call of Duty on PS4?...port!

Also, you forgot a few on your list of non "ports":

Swords and Solders HD
Abyss
Squids Odyssey
all those crappy 02 game shovelwares.

Action51

Action51 said:

@Sceptic - good work! You have managed to dismiss and downplay what seems to be a general consensus among many smaller developers in working with Nintendo and the Wii U.

"I'm honestly a bit confused why they would bring it to WiiU as an exclusive. I suppose it will be 'exclusive' only until they're done adapting it to other platforms."

I'm sorry if the big publishers (EA Ubisoft) are finding that publishing on Wii U isn't working out for them, but maybe you'll have to just suck it up and deal with the fact that some third parties are both willing and enjoying financial success by bringing their smaller gaming experiences to the Wii U.

Now realistically, you haven't actually made any point here. All you've really done is to dismiss positive statements out of hand. Anyone can dismiss anything out of hand if it doesn't fit their agenda.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Why is everyone competing to be the biggest killjoy? This is a good thing.

Truth be told though, I don't know what makes Wii U better than other storefronts except that it's quality is greatly improved over other Nintendo eshops.

There are plenty of exclusives and the only reason anyone should downplay a port is if said port is inferior to the others.

accc

accc said:

Gimme gimme more Fluidity! Even if it's just an up port of Spin Cycle on Wii U with an upgraded framerate. I'd gladly buy it again!

zool

zool said:

The Wii u is a home console and at last the first Nintendo HD console. It seems that most of the Wii u eshop games would be better on the portable 3ds, but no the gamepad is the home for them. Like the Gameboy games that have found a new home on the gamepad.

It is these games that give the impression that the Wii u is failing to deliver what it was designed for.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@zool
That doesn't really make sense. Most indie games on all platforms look like they'd be better on a handheld. It's because they're on a budget. It's hard to make the next AAA phenomenon when your budget is in the low thousands. This in no way hurts Wii U's reputation. It helps it.

Action51

Action51 said:

@zool - wait...it's failing to deliver because the game pad turns out to be a good way to play indie games off screen?

I wasn't aware that firing up a game of Mighty Switch force HD, Shovel Knight, or Swords and Soldiers for a pick up and play session would cause my Mario Kart 8 to brick and ruin my local multiplayer experiences on the big screen.

But apparently these are mutually exclusive experiences now?

zool

zool said:

You have missed the point. Shovel Knight and the other eshop games and the gameboy games are deflecting from the lack of proper Wii u HD games.

Playing game boy games on the gamepad may be a consolation prize for Wii u owners and will fill a gap until another Wii u game comes out. But I did not spend £250 on my Wii u to play games that are more suited to the 3ds.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I don't care what anyone think, the eShop is a great and convenient place for me to get great indie titles and relive some of my old classic, not only that but we also got the Wii Shop still backing the Wii U with more games backing it from WiiWare, and VC consoles like Neo Geo, Sega Genesis, N64, Super NES, NES, and Turbo Grafx-16.