Sea Battle Will Bring Battleships to DSiWare

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

You can't sink the DSi Shop

It may have been replaced by the 3DS eShop and its range of titles a little under three years ago, but the DSi Shop continues to make its presence felt with occasional releases. It helps, admittedly, that DSiWare games are released on the current portable's store too, but it remains a surprise to see new titles for the service so long after its generation came to an end.

We're here once again, however, and prolific publisher Teyon has confirmed that it's bringing WaiS Co. Ltd's Sea Battle to the DSi Shop (and 3DS eShop) in next week's update, on 24th April; it'll arrive in both North America and Europe at a budget price of 200 Nintendo Points. Its premise is extremely simple — it's Battleships on DS.

There will be three single player modes to tackle, which are "classic mode, missions mode and the new modern mode which includes additional features such as mines and diagonal ship placement". DS Wireless local play will allow you to take on a friend, naturally, as it would be an odd exclusion in a title based on a two player tabletop / paper game.

You can see the trailer below — it seems DSiWare has a few battles in it yet.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I don't think I ever truly paid much attention to the DSiShop. The only things I got from there were Flipnote and A Little Bit of Dr. Mario. Oh and the Zelda Four Swords Anniversary thing.

bofis

bofis said:

I would totally pick this up for myself and my wife if only there was a way to only buy 200 points on the DSi Shop or to gift it to her. I don't feel like sinking another 1000 points into her DSi account just for this :-/

Windy

Windy said:

This is great news for people who still use DSi and haven't moved on to a 3ds or Vita. The DS is still a great system to play and I'm sure there are still a lot of peeps who have not moved on. its a shame they are shutting down online co-op gaming for DS and Wii which I have thought is a huge mistake. Maybe some companies can keep online gaming alive on those systems by using their own servers. Heck some games would only require just a PC to run as a server. in fact most games on DS would only require that.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I would have actually thought about buying this if it were to be 2-player Download Play. As if I am convincing anyone else to spend $2 on Battleship just to play with me... Well, I hope this game sells well nonetheless. I'll still be playing with my old board game with half the pieces of missing. :P

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

For $2, this doesn't look all that terrible. Download play would be a wonderful addition.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I don't understand, does it have download play or no? I think all board game video games should be like that, after all you don't need 4 Sorry! boards to play with your friends. (and who has several friends with the same card to play something like that anyway?)

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Hmm, this could be interesting. Let's hope they don't screw it up. It would be pretty embarrassing if it failed to outdo the 23-year-old "Radar Mission" as the best "Battleship" game available on the 3DS.