Over 140 Pieces Of Fan-Made Nintendo Art Up For Auction To Support Autism Charity

Posted by Mark Green

Going to a good cause

Gamers can be hard to please sometimes. We ask for one thing, get it, and then we ask for more. “When are you going to get around to doing another Star Fox game, Nintendo?” or “when’s the next batch of GBA games coming out on the Wii U?” are just some examples of our insatiable appetites. It sometimes seems that even when the games industry delivers stellar game after stellar game, we just aren't satisfied. Thankfully, there are some in the Video Game community who give back to the world; whether it’s turning their hands to making games themselves or using their talents in other ways to raise money for a good cause.

San Jose State University’s charity committee fits into the latter category. Inspired by the Rare Candy: Pokemon Charity Gallery in 2013, the group arranged their own art auction event and dubbed it the Press Start: Nintendo Charity Gallery. As the title suggests, the artwork won’t be limited to Pokemon this time around and instead will be dedicating itself to practically every single Nintendo franchise; even Chibi Robo is in there. With such a wide range of characters and universes to work with, this has naturally led to over 140 works of art being made and all of them are up for auction right now to help raise money for the Morgan Autism Center.

There are paintings, drawings, sculptures, works of paper art, and even everyday objects like mugs available in the auction and all of them were made by the University's animation and illustration program students and alumni. Every single piece has its own unique design and it seems that almost every main Nintendo character gets some form of representation. They're all amazing to behold and you can see the complete gallery here.

This isn't the first time video game fans have given something back, whether it’s for charity or for something else, and it certainly won’t be the last, but it’s still as great as ever to see just what the community is capable of. The physical gallery displaying the artwork is being held at Umpqua Bank in San Jose, the opening times of which are featured on the charity auction’s website, whilst the auction is taking place online until May 16th. There’s only a few weeks left at the time of writing to take part so if any pieces take your fancy there’s no harm in bidding. It’s all for a good cause, after all.

[via doodlebender.com]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Some of those (like the AC one and the Misty one actually look pretty creepy, but it's a good cause and a great idea. So here's hoping they'll do well.

PAppleyard

PAppleyard said:

I have an autistic spectrum disorder. I'm also a gamer. Makes it hard to hold some computer mice or use some keyboards. This is one reason I like Nintendo so much. Their controllers are always good for me to hold.

Some people may have an autistic spectrum disorder but seem to look and act perfectly 'normally'. Just one reason why we shouldn't judge others to quickly.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, great gallery. I like the paintings. Some of those villain paintings were really creepy.

darkswabber

darkswabber said:

I have 2 kinds of autism (PDD-NOS and McDD) I also have ADHD, some dyslexia, oh and did I already say I have gil de la tourette (not the commen one were you curse a lot.)
and luckily for me I live in a country where the goverment gives enough money for people like me so we don't need charity's. (and still we complain alot about it. I love the Netherlands, it doens't matter how good we have it here, we will always complain about it.) but it's good to see they raise money for autism where they need the money. :3

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

I have autism, and have participated in a run before, and I would like to participate in this, too.

However, my art is garbage. :V

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

No bids yet for the Wii Fit Trainer eating a ton of ice cream and donuts? But it's so thought-provoking!

Also, it looks like the Happy Mask Salesman's business expands much wider than I initially thought.

Seriously, these things are awesome. I'm telling my sister about this.

Melkac

Melkac said:

These kind of stuff give me hope on humanity :')
...Then I lose it when I see how many subscribers Pewdiepie has.

SammytheSaiyan

SammytheSaiyan said:

I have high-functioning autism, but whenever I inform someone on the Internet that I have autism, that person thinks I'm just using it as an excuse/pardon for the particular dispute/argument that I'm in, but that's not true. At least real-life people acknowledge that I have autism and accept that, and this is a prime example of that. I am still an independently-functioning individual, but as an autistic human being, I really appreciate this.

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Always good to see HarmoKnight getting some love! That Rhythm Heaven one's cool, two!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

The number of comments here vs. the number of comments in other articles is quite saddening. People just don't care. :(

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

A great cause, i have it as well. If i had money i would buy some of these as some are really good looking.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

@TeeJay

I know. Over 300 comments of people ranting and raving about Nintendo's E3 strategy while stories like this largely go by unnoticed. I know we all come to sites like this for gaming news, but in my mind there's always room for stories like these as well.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Now this is a better news story than some kid speed running a Mario game.

Though, as great as this is (a lot of soul has been put into this project), it's discouraging to know that Nintendo didn't come up with it first. More companies should be doing charities for disabled and ill people all across the globe.

EA did a fantastic job with its latest charity. As did the gamers that helped make it a reality. :)

megamanrulz14

megamanrulz14 said:

My...such good artwork for a charity gallery...I think you deserve an award or something!

I have autism by the way. It's[my condition] not severe at all, though.