Capcom Unsheathes An Announcement Trailer For The New Ace Attorney Title

Posted by Conor McMahon

A new dawn for the law has arrived

Earlier in the week Famitsu teased the latest instalment in the Ace Attorney series, and the return of creator Shu Takumi as Director. Now Capcom has stepped up with an official announcement trailer to give further testimony on the intriguing Meiji era setting.

Confirming suspicions, Dai Gyakuten Saiban - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken centres around Ryunosuke Naruhodo, an ancestor of Phoenix Wright from the turn of the 20th century in Japan. The big reveal here is the confirmation of a second character, Susato Mikotoba, who will likely serve as his trusted assistant. The trailer also offers glimpses at a new courtroom setting through some gorgeous kaleidoscope visuals, and with our protagonist being hailed as the ancestor who originated that spirit of 'turnabout', it's sure to play host to some nail-biting trials in the future...or past.

Courtesy of Youtube user Bolt2nd, a subtitled version of the trailer reveals further pieces of information, including the presence of a pair of mysterious figures named ''The Founder'' and ''The Forefather''. It will be interesting to see how much the setting will factor into both gameplay and story elements, though having already put a whale on trial it's safe to say that absolutely anything can be expected of the series by this point.

Check out the video below and let us know if you're eager to take on a whole new time period, wishing the localization team plenty of luck while you're at it.

[via gematsu.com]

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Can't wait to get into ancient (America) and eat some (hamburgers)

IRNBRU115

IRNBRU115 said:

Oh my god. I am so hyped! Seriously I love these games, only discovered it by playing the one on iOS! Completed them and got dual destinies, now have to finish that and get PL VS AA. So, I suppose it wouldn't be bad if this did take a while to localise.

BusterRed123

BusterRed123 said:

I bet they will bring this over because of the sales of Dual Destinies. They could still have Japan as the place where it takes place. My question is....What would they call it? I have an idea: Great Ace Attorney: The Japanese Revelution or Something like that.

ekreig

ekreig said:

Liking the atmosphere. Sidekick lady reminds me of Pearls. :3

It'll be interesting to see some gameplay footage. I'm curious to see if this game will use the same engine as DD. I sure hope so because that game ended up looking gorgeous.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I wonder if the English localization team will still say that Phoenix Wright takes place in America?

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

It's extremely unlikely that the games will retcon the entire series by declaring: "Oh, hey, we're in Japan now." It's very likely that IF localized, the game will take place in Japan (how can it not? Meiji era didn't happen anywhere else) and at the end, Wright's ancestors will immigrate to the USA. That's the only way it'll make sense....

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I hope Capcom doesn't give us NA fans the shaft and make this one a digital only release like the last one. >:[

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

That about sums up my feelings on this. :P

...Also, it'll probably be a non-canonical game if it's brought over.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@TwilightV
I don't think that is fair. Since the primary draw of these games is the narrative it doesn't seem unreasonable to make new games when they are telling a very different story.

mullen

mullen said:

I think that's not a pair of figures. The subtitled version is not very accuracy. According to my understanding, both the founder and the ancestor (forefather) are related to Naruhodou Ryuunosuke (0:30 in the video). Possibly the founder means he is the founder of the law or attorney in Japan (considering the background), or turnabout, and ancestor means the ancestor of Ryuuichi.

ollietaro

ollietaro said:

Ok, my guess for the localized name is: Felix Wright: Grand Adventures lol but seriously now, it is possible this won't get translated as the 2nd DLC case for Dual Destinies was not translated due to the fact that the company was too lazy to include a glossary of Japanese terms in-game. When a new traditional Japanese word comes up, the definition should show up bottom screen and we would have gotten that gorgeous DLC pack :( And this game looks gorgeous so it would be a real shame if it didn't make it to English-speaking fans. Also, can you imagine how the DLC for this one will be? More cases? Love it!

ollietaro

ollietaro said:

Here's how the localization might be handled if it makes its way to us: If anything, they will keep everything in Japan and then somehow link it to the Grandfather Wright moving to the US. Done and done!

Yasume

Yasume said:

I honestly have my doubts that this will make it to NA and Europe this time...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Woohoo! I really hope this comes to Australia, I really want to play it. Even if it comes just to the eShop, as long as I get the game. Wait they haven't announced the platform yet have they? I didn't see it mentioned in the video or article. Hope it's on 3DS or Wii U! :O

legend_of_Shawn

legend_of_Shawn said:

I've been a fan of the series for some time, but the last one was so bad(way too over the top and HORRIBLE spell checking/translations) that I don't think I'll be getting this one.