Zero Escape Series Creator Considering New Options for Possible Third Game

Posted by Martin Watts

Fans make a virtue of necessity and create an online campaign

Last week, Kotaro Uchikoshi, the creative mastermind behind the Zero Escape series - which includes the highly acclaimed puzzle-based visual novels 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - stated with some sadness that a third game was looking increasingly unlikely. According to Uchikoshi's English Twitter account, the games haven't been deemed profitable enough by publishers to merit a third release.

But before you give up all hope, you might be relieved to hear that Uchikoshi has stated that "various matters are now under consideration". One of these considerations could well be crowdfunding the game through the likes of Kickstarter, which could be a successful move given how vocal the fanbase is.

In fact, fans have already taken to Facebook and commenced Operation Bluebird, an energetic campaign in support of a new game. If you'd like to see a third title in the series, we strongly recommend joining up and showing your support.

How vital is it to you that another game in the series is made? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via kotaku.com]

Related Games

Knux

Knux said:

Awesome news! If Kickstarter is used, it would probably pass (and go beyond) with flying colors. :)

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

The confusing part is that there was such an open ending in the second installment. So the fact that it isnt even certain there will be a third installment is slightly surprising. Obviously it cant end here.

invmat

invmat said:

I don't care if it'll be an eShop-only release. I want Zero Escape 3, no matter what!

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@Knux

He actually said a few days ago that kickstarter probably won't work. Presumably VLR cost a ridiculous amount of money. Very few games hit more than a few 100k, which, with VLRs full voice acting, models, 30+hour single player and excellent OST almost certainly cost more.

I hope it happens someday though.

CaptOlimar30

CaptOlimar30 said:

Virtue's Last Reward completely necessitates a sequel for this series to even be considered a series in my mind. The game's connect so much it needs a true finale in the third or I don't even consider it worth playing especially since I'm fully confident he has a full good story developed for the third game based largely off the first two.

Here's hoping the third game is fully funded and released! As long as it is, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Kelstormborn

Kelstormborn said:

I would love it if they were able to make the next installment because there was a lot not answered in the last game. Of course fans like myself, after spending countless hours on these games want some closure for these characters and the series in general. I would completely donate to their Kickstarter if they made one, but hopefully all this publicity will help too.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This can't end here... This series was one of the greatest creations of the last generation! At the absolute minimum I hope the story can be published so I can find out what happened, even though that would be difficult to do given the Flow system it was almost certainly using...

Kelstormborn

Kelstormborn said:

@AJWolfTill I actually like that idea. If for whatever reason they can't get the funds and they know it's final, I hope they at least deliver the storyline because there's SO much left hanging and it will always bother me that I don't know how one of my favorite series ends.

Ungravitify

Ungravitify said:

This series is a real gem I played VLR and couldnt put it down. There is just so much stuff left unaswered espeacially after the secret ending.

A1234

A1234 said:

Kickstarter? with the security breach? how many people are still going to use it?

Phle

Phle said:

I ordered 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors yesterday as I've played Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward a while ago and loved it. I hope they get the funds for a third game.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Anything to make Zero Escape 3. It's a spectacular game, and I'm still outraged Nintendo Life changed their review from a 10, to an 8. This is a 10/10 in my book.

Skitrules

Skitrules said:

I dont even have a kickstarter and I'm game if they put it up there! I really want to see this through to the end!

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@Kyloctopus
To be fair, VLR does have some serious bugs. As a story it is definitely a 10/10, but the whole package has to be considered.

Skogur

Skogur said:

If Uchikoshi ever launches a Kickstarter, I'll be sure to back it up!

Shambo

Shambo said:

Yeah, I'd be in for a third game as well, given a physical release in Europe. Otherwise, I'd still consider it.