"Phantom Gate" Trademark By Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. Brings Pokémon to Mind

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's a phantom gate, not some sort of gate to infinity...

What do you get when there's a trademark placed by Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc.? A whole load of Pokémon speculation, of course, as they are three parties that — combined or individually — bring you various 'mon-related games.

So that's what we have, with Siliconera spotting a trademark for "Phantom Gate" that was filed in Japan in late 2013. The title immediately brings to mind Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, the latest in the spin-off dungeon series that arrived on 3DS; the name can certainly be speculated upon as a potential continuation from that title. It's also the case that there are always Pokémon games in the works, but it can be fun wondering just what sort of variations are on the way.

We've already listed the teased Pokkén Fighters as one of the games you told us you most wanted to see more of for Wii U in 2014, while we also know of a rather peculiar Pikachu detective game in the works for 3DS. A continuation of the Mystery Dungeon series — should that be the source of that Phantom Gate trademark — wouldn't be a huge surprise, and the previous entries have come thick and fast on portable systems; there were three of them on DS. For our part, we'd hope that some sort of Pokémon project will be at the heart of Nintendo's NFC strategy for the Wii U GamePad, a wholehearted evolution of the toy integration of Pokémon Rumble U, but with a must-have retail game.

In any case, does this Phantom Gate trademark by the masters of the Poké Universe get you hyped? What do you think it will be?

[via siliconera.com]

enderboy221

enderboy221 said:

You know, the name actually reminds me of the gamecube games. You know, I have a great idea! How about nintendo start announcing things. If only they had some sort of video presenting info directly...

Gold

Gold said:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon : Phantom Gate possibly with 6th gen pokemon? Meh, better be good as originals/PMD Sky.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@JubilifeRival You sure are confident ;)

It was only one idea! I would prefer the "gate" refer to the NFC on the GamePad, but I'm just obsessing over the fact that a proper Pokemon toy / game tie in could sell about a gazillion copies.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

I used to like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but Gates to Infinity really turned me off. They could really make it much more interesting. NIS released A Guided Fate Paradox which is VERY much the same type of game but they did so much more with it. I don't want to sit in front of an enemy and attack it twice to win. Even bosses like Kyurem in GTI were pathetic. Yup, because my level 40 Oshawott should TOTALLY be able to KO a Kyurem.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@Gold I'd love to see the return of the Pokémon Paradise of they made it even bigger and you had more freedom on what to create.

Player4

Player4 said:

POKEMON RANGER 3DS?!?!? :D Probably not..

But please keep the NFC doggeyoopsiepoopiepoodleuhoh away from Pokemon, unless it's a spin off like Rumble, then I don't care

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

I wouldn't mind a Mystery Dungeon game on the Wii U.. I love those type of rogue dungeon games, Chocobo's Dungeon 2 for Playstation being one of my favorite PS titles and same goes for Chocobo's Dungeon on the Wii.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Does sound a bit like a Mystery Dungeon game in my option. Still for all we know this could end up being the title for some random spinoff that we have yet to play....0_0

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Hoping for a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon with the graphics and accessibility of Gates to Infinity and the depth of the DS titles. Make it happen Chunsoft!

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@JubilifeRival
They don't have to sound exactly alike, just carry a theme. In the second series it was 'explorers' in this one its 'gates'. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this turned out to be some kind of enhanced pseudo-sequel to Gates to Infinity.

Now that X&Y are out I hope we'll see a Mystery Dungeon with all the Pokemon, they already have the 3D models and everything after all.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

They should make a Pokemon game in the style of Animal Crossings. Essentially what the paradise was in Gates to Infinity but in a much grander scheme. You are the human mayor of a town of Pokemon, maybe you could be a new professor and study the friendship and social interactions of Pokemon when they live in a town built by you.

Then again maybe they should just make two separate titles, an Animal Crossings game and a new Pokemon game for the Wii U.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Before they're doing anything with those NFC figures, they'll have to start selling them

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

I doubt it has anything to do Mystery Dungeon, or any spin-off, since Game Freak is one of the trademark filers and they only work on the main games. I'm thinking a feature in Pokemon Z, or maybe a new addition in the Ruby/Sapphire remakes. This is assuming that either or both of these projects are being worked on, which is likely.

P.S. I'd enjoy a new Mystery Dungeon only if they brought back the personality quiz. I loved that bit more than I probably should have, it was exciting to wonder what Pokemon I was going to be throughout the entire game. And, you know, make the story as deep as the older games. I haven't played Gates to Infinity, but I heard the story was shallow compared to the rest of the series. And without the story, I don't really see a point in playing. There's better roguelikes out there.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Gate to Infinity had the best mechanics of any mystery dungeon but the worst story and Pokemon variety by far.

If there is another one I hope at least for better playable and partner Pokemon variety (hint, Ralts).

Inkling

Inkling said:

A sequel to Pokemon XD! Pokemon XY: Phantom Gate! I'd love to see some cross platform battling too!

VictorySong

VictorySong said:

Maybe it's a feature that will be added to X&Y (via update or DLC) since GameFreak is involved and they usually deal with the main series only.

Stunny

Stunny said:

Seems like it's just a new expansion set for the Pokemon TCG XY series.