Mighty No. 9 Is Getting The Live-Action Movie Treatment

Posted by Damien McFerran

That's mega, man

Mighty No. 9 — perhaps better known as Keiji Infafune's spiritual successor to Mega Man — is still in active development following its triumphant Kickstarter campaign, but the fact that no one has actually played it yet hasn't stopped associated projects from springing up.

Tim Carter — writer & producer over at Contradiction Films — has revealed that one such project is a live-action movie adaptation of the game:

We are building the story right now. Inafune-san created [Mega Man], and he has now created Mighty Number 9. We don’t have the rights to Mega Man, obviously, but we are working with him on a live action adaptation of it. I was a little apprehensive about it at first until I got [Inafune's] notes, and thought “Dude, you should be working at Pixar!”

Carter has been involved in similar projects in the past, such as penning the first season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy and writing the story for Sleeping Dogs. Can he turn an old-school 2D platformer into a film that people will pay to see? Does Mighty No. 9 have the mainstream recognition to be a success on the silver screen? Share your feelings on this news by posting a comment below.

[via epdaily.tv, gonintendo.com]

SuperZelda64

SuperZelda64 said:

What if they use BOX ART MEGA MAN! And hopefully this one is more like the game unlike Super Mario Bros The Movie...

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Looks like The "Mighty Wizard No. 9".
Unless it turns out to actually be good.
But uh, Live Action =/= Pixar

duffmmann

duffmmann said:

You should be working for Pixar is about the nicest complement a writer can be bestowed if you ask me

duffmmann

duffmmann said:

@Prof_Clayton The Pixar thing was in regard to the quality of the story and writing. That being said, Pixar is creating its first live action movie as we speak about the 1906 Earthquake. (I found the news that Pixar would make a live action film upsetting when I heard it, but, supposedly its happening.)

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

No, Just No..
Anime please...Not Live Action..That's a Pratical Death Sentance to Video Game Movies....

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

@Memeboy3 I respectfully disagree with you. I think it'd be better CGI of the sort. Other than that, I've never seen anything from the movie before, so I got no right to judge it.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Would much rather see a nice animated film.... I'm still disappointed I won't be able to play this game until 2015. There's no sense in that.

Asaki

Asaki said:

Mega Man is based on Astro Boy, so technically we already have a bunch of Mighty No. 9 anime ^___^

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@SphericalCrusher Except quality games take time and it was stated from the start it's not going to be releasing this year.

Why the heck is this even happening Inafune kill the project this won't bode well.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'm kinda shocked that Capcom hasn't taken any legal action with this.

Zobocop

Zobocop said:

Based on the quote alone, Carter says he's working on a movie for Mega Man, not Mighty No.9. I'm sure it's taken out of context, but still.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Maybe if it was an anime I would see it but the fact that it's live action is a deal breaker for me. We all know that live action video game movies are junk.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

If it was to be animated, anime style or otherwise, I'd be all for it, but the live-action prospect leaves me very hesitant...

Squid

Squid said:

Yeah, shouldn't we make sure a game does well before we decide to make a live-action movie of it? Not that I have my doubts about Mighty No. 9, but honestly, how can this go done well? If nothing else it's a mistake to make it live-action.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

...Live Action? Er....if Astro Boy is any indication, a CGI film would better suit him in my opinion...but I'll hold judgment until I actually see it.

GumbyX84

GumbyX84 said:

@Zobocop Was just about to post that. Suprised no one else noticed it. Maybe we're reading too into it or it was a mis-quote. If you look at Go-Nintnedo's article, you see an ellipsis after "We don’t have the rights to Mega Man, obviously, but we are working with him on a live action adaptation of it"

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Pixar is creating its first live action movie as we speak"

Oh, I didn't know this! Ah well, Pixar has gone down the drain in my opinion! I don't expect much of this!