Gargoyle's Quest II Rated in Australia

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Firebrand swooping back onto Virtual Console?

Gargoyle's Quest, a spinoff from Ghosts 'n Goblins featuring enemy-turned-hero Firebrand, is one of Capcom's lesser mentioned yet still well regarded series. We held a high opinion of the original Game Boy title in our review for the 3DS Virtual Console, and now signs are pointing toward its sequel similarly rising from the grave.

Siliconera reports that Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness has been rated by the Australia Classification Board. While Capcom has not made any official announcements regarding this entry, the listing of the publisher as Nintendo implies an intention for a Virtual Console release.

Now, Gargoyle's Quest II was released both on the Game Boy and the NES. As Siliconera points out, however, the Game Boy version was only released in Japan, making its NES big brother a more likely candidate for resurrection. That in turn, would lead one to speculate a potential Wii U Virtual Console release.

Only the future will tell whether we receive access to another Gargoyle's Quest title. If we do, though, then maybe Demon's Crest, the SNES evolution of Gargoyle's Quest, will also be lurking in the shadows.

Would you be up for taking Firebrand for another spin in his sequel? Let us know in the comments.

[via siliconera.com, classification.gov.au]

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Cool, I guess. Isn't GQ1 on the GB a platformer? I was thinking about getting it some time ago. Also, first.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Is there any other situations where Capcom has put a NES game on only one of the two systems ?

@Gold Its a hybrid sidescroller / RPG.

Deathgaze

Deathgaze said:

Awesome game. I got it on the NES so I won't be buying it but still cool that it's coming our way.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Please Capcom & Nintendo we Need Demons Crest !!!!! Firebrand Rules ... Would love to play Gargoyels Quest 2 on my Wii U

Nomad

Nomad said:

I hope this does get released. Demons Crest is one of my favourite SNES games, I don't even mind Gargoyles Quest. I haven't played this one but if it's as good as the other two I would definitely buy it. Would also love to see Demons Crest on VC.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Got this one on Famicom, So I'd rather see them release the GB version. That one's pretty expensive even in Japan, otherwise I would have gotten that one as well by now. A VC release would be quite an alternative.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Gargoyle's Quest on the 3DS VC was my first time playing that game. It's been an awesome time so i hope we'll get the successor in its NES form on the Wii U and hopefully even the GB release on the 3DS VC since i hear it's got exclusive levels.
Demon's Crest on the Wii U VC too please. :)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Heck yeah, bring this and eventually the SNES version please. Used copies are too rich for my blood!

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

@GeminiSaint I think that's what they're gonna do, I just hope Crapcom doesn't drop the ball on this.

God, I really hope this one gets to the U.S. as I am a huge fan of Firebrand's adventures, it really is an amazing trilogy of games.

Pod

Pod said:

Gargoyle's Quest II is one of my favorite RPG/patform hybrids ever. :P

KingMike

KingMike said:

Capcom did make a NA version of GQ2 GB but they never released it (Nintendo Power reviewed and rated it).
Too bad companies don't seem to want to use VC as a place to release canceled games.

Heng-Yu

Heng-Yu said:

I was hoping that this game would come to the Virtual console but definitly not for to the WiiU one... This is a NES game that would be best suited for an old TV screen or (my first choice) on the 3DS, where it would fit nicely next to the GB version. It is damn annoying that Nintendo is brining out games that would be much better suited for the 3DS to the WiiU in hopes to make the WiiU a little more attractive. Playing that game on big LCD will look awful and if someone says you can still just play it on the gamepad than why not bring it to the handheld directly... I hope it will be released for the 3DS as well, ... if not, ... I guess I should not be surprised considering Nintendo’s virtual console policy lately.
In my opinion Nintendo should focus on finally bringing GC games to the WiiU virtual console and SNES to the 3DS. Everything 16bit-console/handheld and below should be made available for the 3DS. The 3DS has the perfect pixel density for this old stuff. Those who want should be able to get it on the WiiU as well, but it feels like they would not make many of the games WiiU-exclusives if the WiiU would do better. Feels like a desperate move (…DS games for the WiiU gamepad?...)

Henmii

Henmii said:

I haven't played much of the original so far! Not that it is bad, it's pretty hard! And no saving (only passwords) is a pain!

Will continue it someday, but when I don't know!