Pokemon X and Y Come Out on Top in Japanese Software Rankings for 2013

Posted by Kerry Brunskill

Hardware figures for 3DS and Wii U also revealed

Famitsu is reporting that Nintendo didn't just dominate the Japanese Christmas charts, but it almost cleaned up the entire year too, taking nine out of the top ten total sales spots for the year. The only game to break that hold over Japanese gamers was Grand Theft Auto V on Playstation 3, and even then that only managed to reach #8 in the chart.

The top ten is as follows — sales were recorded up to 29th December 2013:

1) Pokemon X and Y (3DS) - 3,976,829
2) Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) - 3,293,312
3) Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) - 1,730,182 (lifetime to date: 4,017,159)
4) Tomodachi Collection (3DS) - 1,580,067
5) Dragon Quest VII (3DS) - 1,227,377
6) Puzzle & Dragons Z (3DS) - 1,005,697
7) Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) - 982,737
8) Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) - 605,882
9) New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) - 584,479 (lifetime to date: 965,794)
10) Wii Party U (Wii U) - 518,766

Nintendo did just as well in the hardware stakes, too, with the 3DS selling 4,931,509 units in its home market last year, making for a total of 14,694,011 sales in the country to date. The Wii U sold 880,088 units, which puts it above everything but the 3DS and the Vita, which sold 1,197,980 systems over the whole year.

What do you think of Nintendo's results in Japan? Do you expect to see similar results in the US/European markets? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

[via famitsu.com]

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

I thought New Super mario bros cracked 1 million a while back? Anyways, Congrats Nintendo!

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I know not too much about that kind of stuff, but I'd say considering how small the installbase of the Wii U in Japan is (and how big PS3's) it's pretty good, that there are at least 2 games in the top 10, huh?

But I'm actually a little surprised, that THIS many 3DS titles sold so well.

spidey1010

spidey1010 said:

Ugh, how could the Wii U NOT do better than X1 and PS4 for the year? They've only been out a month and a half!
Being outsold by the Vita is not exactly heartening...

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

We'll done Nintendo! I really think they should show X/Y as separate titles instead of combining their sales like that

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Well done, Nintendo! I know this is only speaking for Japan, but this just goes to show that anyone who actually believes Nintendo is "doomed" have no clue what they're talking about.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Just going to point out this does not include digital sales. Monster hunter 4 has sold more then 400K copies digitally.

4 was at 2.8 million by September 31st. As of then using media create charts we can see it had sold just over 2.4 million by then. Thus it sold about 400K digital copies to be able to sell that number. According to this wedensday's media create(this is a copy pasta from a post I made on the 21st if November so you are going to have to go back several weeks for this actually) it has sold just above 2.93 million copies. Thus adding in digital sales we get a figure of about 3.33 million copies plus whatever amount of digital copies have been sold since.

Also as a sidenote monster hunter 4 is looking likely to become the best selling monster hunter ever. Currently it is at over 3.33 million compared to freedom 3 at 4.8 million. With the solid legs it has(and a holiday season to give it a boost in japan) as well as an upcoming Korean release and a very likely US/European release given the success of 3U...it could very likely surpass freedom 3.

Sources

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

@ShanaUnite so? They're two separate full price games and people in general buy one or the other, no big deal but I don't see why they combine the sales, they would both be separate entries on the chart

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

If only Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion 2 sales figured could be swapped lol
Love LM, but cannot stand Pokemon!

MAB

MAB said:

Tomita Technologies USA would be happy with those 3DS figures ;)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Dragon Quest VII the one thing I want from Square Enix (And the least likely we will get).

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@K-Gamer
This is Japan only. This doesn't account for the rest of the world, like UK, Europe, Australia and North America. New Super Mario Bros U actually broke a million (global sales) around the Wii U's launch

Mahe

Mahe said:

3DS is doing great, Wii U is barely surviving. Nintendo needs to have some drastic measures in place for 2014.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@TreesenHauser Wii U recently outsold Xbox One for a week - while it's not for sale in Japan, I can't imagine it getting more than 2000 sales a week. Don't assume the Wii U will finish 3rd yet.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Also, Vita sales have slowed while Wii U sales have picked up, but I think.Vita sales may pick up when the PS4 is released in Japan.
If Nintendo add a feature where you can connect your 3DS and play it on your Wii U with gamepad and TV as the dual screens, the sales of the Wii U will jump.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

Nintendo does great in Japan, doing good in the US, meanwhile Europe has some work to do. C'mon NL, get to the streets and promote the WiiU there! P.S. I think you guys are doing a great job for this site, my favorite Nintendo page.

Samurai-Kinopio

Samurai-Kinopio said:

@K-Gamer Congratulations? Look at those Wii U game sales. Not. Good.

We have to hope that the Wii U sales become a lot better, or this may be a very sad console.

God, I loooove the idea of the game pad. I looooove my Wii U. It has sooooo much potential, but good gosh! Let's get this console going! I am worried. Those sales back it up.

micronean

micronean said:

it's amazing to see the difference in sales numbers between portables and home consoles in Japan. This isn't a trend, it's not even about game quality, this is a lifestyle. I now become even more curious about the sales for the PS4 in Japan. Maybe it really will be anti-climactic, as it's obvious the Japanese only care for portable and mobile gaming...

CureDolly

CureDolly said:

Wow PazudoraZ at #6 for the whole year after such a short time on the market. I'm not surprised. I love this game!

CureDolly

CureDolly said:

@micronean This is very true. In Japan I don't think it is a case of "WiiU failure" it is more that the entire home console market is just dwarfed by the handheld market. I think PS4 will do well in Japan by the new standards of home consoles, but the whole game has changed.

That is why it seems so strange to me that people talk about Nintendo's "success or failure" in terms of WiiU's performance as if handhelds were a side issue. In Japan at least, consoles have become the side issue. Handhelds are the main game.