Nintendo Launches New Wii U Christmas Advertising In Japan

Posted by Liam Doolan

'Tis the season to be jolly

Although Nintendo's advertising in various regions arguably took a while to ramp up, a fresh campaign in Japan appears to tick all the right boxes. It promotes the fun of Wii U with friends and family, as well as some of the exclusive first-party titles on offer this holiday season.

The “Atsumareba” advertising campaign reportedly draws some inspiration from the “Wii would like to play” campaign many years ago. In the original advertisement, two men travelled around and introduced people to the Wii and its launch title offerings.

Now, Nintendo has revived this idea with the Wii U. The short 30 second trailer features two men dressed in Christmas attire playing a selection of first-party Wii U titles with a family. The games featured include Wii Sports Club, Super Mario 3D World and Wii Party U.

Click here to see Nintendo’s Christmas spirit, and be sure to let us know what you think.

[via nintendo-insider.com]

Lobster

Lobster said:

My Japanese is only barely proficient enough to navigate the site, not enough to understand what they are saying, but I think it's pretty cute!

Loads better than those weird commercials with the kids and the giant noteboards or whatever, the "Why We Need a Wii U" campaign (see, I can't even remember the tagline). I mean, I get where they're coming from with that campaign but it's just so uninspired. It seems so blatant. Also the commercials themselves are pretty bad.

At least I'm seeing commercials now, though!

Lobster

Lobster said:

They should bring this commercial to every territory just because it's so bizarre, you know? Everybody always knows Nintendo is always the odd console out anyway. Might as well advertise it like that too.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

cheesy.. thats what comes to mind when i see that picture. or when i seen that ad of super mario game. and when i see the ps4 and xbox one ads i see over the top action. idk which marketing strategy will win but we shall find out soon.

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

I just couldn't help but laugh when I saw them knitting in the commercial. My japanese is minimal (Only know some from anime) but this commercial really just says "smile" in my mind. I don't really mind the "cheesiness" or whatever.

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

I'll go ahead and say it: bring back those "Wii Would Like to Play: ads! And there's at least one thing going on in this that I like: they show GAMES and the GAMEPLAY. As visually impressive as the Xbox One and PS4 ads can be...half the time they don't show any of the games that you play on the system. Of course, I'd like if this ad also showcased the Game Pad features and Miiverse and such but its a good start!

rjejr

rjejr said:

They better be able to sell the Wi U in Japan this Christmas, the X1 and PS4 aren't even being released there until next year. Now or never.

Kosmo

Kosmo said:

Ugh, Ninten-NO! Stop doing ads like that... You only drive away the public you need. What's need is gameplay footage, lots of it, and maybe some cool costumes like for the Metroid Prime ads...

Hallow

Hallow said:

I wish nintendo Japan had commercials like sega did with segata sanshiro.