Weirdness: If You Always Wanted to See Kanto From Pokémon Red and Blue in Minecraft, Here You Go

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Spare 10 minutes to reward hundreds of hours of effort

If we were to name a top ten, maybe even a top five, of the biggest franchises in the current gaming landscape, it's possible that both Minecraft and Pokemon would feature. Minecraft, and its ability to allow gamers to create their own worlds, has become a phenomenon, while the hype surrounding Pokémon X & Y is in danger of causing some fans to suffer meltdowns. So naturally combining the two franchises will happen somewhere out in the wonderful wilds of the internet.

YouTuber MediocreJake has done just that, by recreating the exterior Kanto locations (interiors are still being worked upon) from Pokémon Red and Blue in the hugely popular and super-blocky game; as the opening to the video shows, it took a lot of effort. The thought of the endeavour to pull this together does make our heads spin somewhat, and is clearly the work of a huge fan — of both franchises — ready to lay down a large part of his life in the cause.

Check it out below and marvel at its crazy but loving attention to detail.

[via kotaku.com]

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

ha the kanto map actually makes it look about a thousand times bigger! everything is so huge! even Pallet town!

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

I'm so sure that if the game comes to wiiu almost 80% of the users right now will abandon their old versions.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I hope this person doesn't do all 6 regions, otherwise their lives would be lost.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Meh...wished i could stay interested in this game enough to do something like this.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

There is no video provided as far as I can tell... Might want to fix that, NL (unless I'm wrong, in which case I apologize).

ikki5

ikki5 said:

hmm, impressive.... maybe, depends on how they did this. If it was creative mode with craftbukkit, then this could be done probably in a day. Now if it was done in survival mode where they needed to get everything. Then I would be impressed. But if it was done in creative and such.... meh, it wouldn't take a whole lot of time. I can make some pretty large castles in an hour or two in creative mode with craftbukkit.

yeah, he used creative mode so I am not that impressed, a couple hours of work.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@MonocledMetroid Though I suppose genocide in an interesting way could be kinda fun. Unleashing a zombie plague only I was immune to among the populace and watching the survivors fight for there lives... a real life Walking Dead so to speak >: )