Dragon Quest Monsters 2 Remake Coming to 3DS in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Alas, unlikely to come to the West

Earlier in the year a trademark emerged suggesting a Dragon Quest Monsters 2 remake, which seemed likely to be for the 3DS following the success in Japan of Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D. Square Enix has now made it official, unveiling Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Wonderful Mysterious Keys for the 3DS in the region.

As the original trademark suggested, it looks like this remake will incorporate the content of the two separate versions of the game that were originally released on the Game Boy Color; one was for Iru, one was for Luca (those are the Japanese names). Gematsu has been looking through the official Japanese website, and has reported the following features.

• Over 800 new monsters, including Super G Size monsters, additions from Dragon Quest X
  • Four on four monster battles
  • Local and worldwide communications along with StreetPass functionality
  • Eight player multiplayer

Unfortunately, and despite the originals being released in the West, it seems unlikely that this title will make it out of Japan. Gamers outside of Square Enix's homeland can always hold out for a dual release of both Monsters re-releases, though it may be a forlorn hope.

[via gematsu.com]

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I own the DS version, which HEY I can put it in my 3DS and still play it. So I hope people don't go bonkers when this isn't brought over to the West.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Why should it be unlikely to release this in the west? I'm genuinely curious, since as far as I know Dragon Quest has been a successful franchise here.

@Peach64 - Hell yeah. Sentinels of Starry Skies was quite likely my favorite DS game. I'd take a new Wii U title as well, but none of that MMORPG nonsense.

ueI

ueI said:

I am slightly surprised that these are not being localized, as we got both Jokers for DS.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@XCWarrior
Different game. This isn't Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, it's the old Gameboy Color titles that are being remade. However, that's also a good game so western gamers should be able to find some solace.

ibrahimman0

ibrahimman0 said:

ITS THE THIRD GAME !!! Dragon Quest 7 , Dragon Quest Terry's Wonderland and now this ! Just get one of them to the west already !

ibrahimman0

ibrahimman0 said:

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I wish I could have the opportunity to play these Dragon Quest Monsters remakes and I'd certainly prefer the versions I'd play to be the 3DS versions.

Drainos

Drainos said:

they are making a dq monster 2 for 3ds, but terry`s wonderland has never been annoucent to america or europe. why are we thinking that they are make this for other regio`s.

Void

Void said:

@XCWarrior Well, there are 500 more monsters in this game than there were in DQM: Joker 2... Seems like quite a lot to me, and having 4 slots for monsters instead of the regular 3 would change it up a bit as well.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'll just take a new entry on the 3DS or Wii U, or both. They should bring over DQVII for 3DS and DQX for Wii U, however. I'd buy both of those in an instant.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I want to play Dragon Quest VII not bothered so much about the spinoffs.

(Quite like to play the Gameboy Color I&II / III).

The Japanese part of Square Enix seems to be still somewhat ok. (Other than making MMO's but I get the impression that it is the Western part that has butchered Final Fantasy which was never as big as Dragon Quest in Japan anyway).

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

It makes me incredibly sad to see that the West will probably miss out on ALL of the newer DQ titles launched for Wii/Wii U/3DS, since there's not even word of DQ X coming out of Japan. As a DQ collector, I find disheartening that, after the series made an unexpected comeback to Western shores from the seventh iteration onwards, including spin-offs and the wonderful DS remakes, it will most likely plunge into oblivion again for us and become once more a Japan-only franchise.

Too make things worse and decrease the chances of both DQM remakes for the 3DS coming to the West, it seems that the monsters from DQM: Joker 2 Professional, which was never released on the West, can be transferred to DQM:TW3D — so at the most we would received a chopped down version of the first remake. I'm sure that DQM2 will have some sort of connectivity with previous games of the series, so it's kind of safe to assume that Squeenix would not go to the trouble to translate and release such interconnected spin-offs on markets where they'll probably not sell much.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Ah. My favourite game from my childhood. Destined like the first game, to probably not leave Japan. Why do you torture me so, Square Enix? ._.
Do you want me to buy a Japanese 3DS and learn the language? 'cos I will!....Oh who am I kidding. :'(

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Way to rub it in Square Enix, we don't even have Terry's Wonderland and they're already planning to remake DQM2. The DQM spin-offs are my favorite games in the series so this is really disappointing.

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

@ everyone, Dont forget that SE has also made a prequel (of sorts, it was made first) and sequel to Rocket Slime. SE is just screwing with us like Crapcom does everyone...

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Void Good to know that it is a different game. Didn't want to read too much into it. When you know it's not coming, best not to get too involve, just depresses you more. Cause lets face it, the chance of a release is 5%, and that would be digital at best.

sedef122003

sedef122003 said:

I own a japanese 3ds and Dragon Quest VII but a localisation of the Dragon Quest 3ds games would be nice as well, VII is a possibility but I do not see either of the Monster games being localised